Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-12, 08:14 PM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Slowest commute ever! We had about 2" of heavy snow during the day, and the ride home was one tough slog. The 10 mile trip took 1h 20m. Felt like I was riding uphill the whole way home, and whenever I actually had to go uphill, I had to get off and walk. I guess the next time there's a forecast of significant snow during the day, I'll take the bus!
Old 11-01-12, 08:16 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Quite warm today. I dressed for rain which didn't happen, and I sweated buckets instead.
Old 11-02-12, 04:37 AM
fletchh

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sadly, or joyfully, depending on your perspective, today is my last day in this blog as I retire today. It's been great to see and here stories about cycling to work every day. A special thanks to those who also rode in the winter and blogged here. On those cold dark rides in the morning, it meant allot to see others doing the same thing. My wife got rid of her car and I gave her mine, as I was finding less use for it. Whereever I end up in the world, it will be on bike and public transportation. I drove for almost 40 years, and now with a little luck in health, I can ride for the next 40. Best wishes to you all, and no doubt I will see you in other bike forum rooms.
Old 11-02-12, 05:09 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fletchh
Sadly, or joyfully, depending on your perspective, today is my last day in this blog as I retire today.
Congratulations on your retirement Fletch! What am I gonna do without your DC-area weather postings...you always get F/C right! Keep riding, it changed my life and it sounds like it changed yours too.

Safe riding.

Cold coming in today.
Old 11-02-12, 06:11 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Sadly, or joyfully, depending on your perspective, today is my last day in this blog as I retire today.
Congratulations, and good riding in your retirement.
Old 11-02-12, 06:13 AM
essiemyra

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 88 Posts
Wow, fletchh enjoy this new phase of your life!! May you have health and happiness for many more years!. Though I will miss your posting every morning. I always look to see how your ride went as you are more often than not the person who posts just before me.

I did not ride to work today, though I did do a quick ten mile ride before leaving for work. I did not want to miss my fix of riding.
Old 11-02-12, 06:25 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Today was the first snow ride for me ever so I was a bit nervous not knowing what it was going to be like. There was very little snow, maybe 0.5cm (0.25") on the cars and a dusting on the road but enough to get me nervous. I was more cautious going around some corners where there was snow on the roads but most of the roads had a layer of water where the snow had melted and I knew I would be fine. Right now, I'm still on my new-this-year 29er with 700x35 tires (Marathon Tour Plus) and no fenders. I'm going to watch the weather over the next couple of weeks and when it appears that snow will be more prevalent and thicker, I'll switch to my old Norco Bigfoot with fenders and wider tires.

It was -2C with a 23km/h NW wind on today's commute. The last 7 of the 16km is N and E so I was able to determine that my DIY toe covers were at their limit of protection from the cold so it looks like I'll have to invest in something better.

I also realized that I actually might have a merino wool base layer in my ski gear that might be better than the fleece I'm currently using, I'll dig it up and try it out next week.
Old 11-02-12, 07:29 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost uneventful. The weather was perfect, clear cool. I wore my work clothes (shirt/tie over dockers) with just a light jacket. 10 miles and I don't think i broke a sweat.

Back to the almost part, I was coasting down a one way street (median separating east and westbound lanes), when an SUV turned onto the street headed straight at me, going the wrong direction. I checked speed, kept rolling.. at first i maneuvered left to make sure I was seen, then back to the right.. she ducked into the correct lane through a cut in the median at just the point where I passed.

Two traffic lights on my path were holding red. I hate running red lights but I did, following three cars through one of them.

fletch, congratulations!! I like your plan.
Old 11-02-12, 08:04 AM
ThimbleSmash
The Viceroy

Bikes: SE PK Ripper FG,Trek Classic Steel, Free Spirit FG, Raleigh Pointe, Centurion Sport DLX, Schwinn CrissCross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commute was great so far today, still got to go to work later tonight. Woke up to a nice chilly morning and went to a local dinner for some breakfast and to enjoy the weather change we are getting here. I look forward to this weather all year and now that it is here I hope to put in some nice mileage while it lasts.
Old 11-02-12, 08:27 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It was cold, dark and sweet!! . I be pushing strong flashlights up front for lighting, and I dress very warm. With those factors included, a ride in the dark cold morning is super fun!!
Old 11-02-12, 09:08 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Commuted on a different bike all 4 days this week. Missed riding on Monday due to Hurricane Sandy. Today I rode my lightest commuter bike and had my fastest commute in many weeks -- despite the coldest temperatures since last spring (mid-30s), a mild headwind and lots of red lights. I've been battling cold winds all week from the wrap-around effects of Superstorm Sandy. Amazing that it's still affecting our weather 5 days after it passed by NC.
Old 11-02-12, 09:16 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
-3C with a 25kph headwind and freezing drizzle. The drizzle was freezing on my glasses making it difficult to see, especially when there were oncoming headlights. the roads weren't slippery on the way in, but seemed more icy when I walked across the street for breakfast. Maybe it will be melted before I leave at lunch.

My feet were getting cold, so I might want to start wearing my winter boots on colder days. My thumbs were getting very cold near the end of the ride. I think that was partly due to using flat bars the whole way, since I haven't got my Ergon bar ends yet.

Raising my seat post 1/4" before heading home last night made a huge difference. Since I haven't got my rack yet, I've been riding with a backpack the last 3 days. It hasn't been too bad, but the only backpack I have that I'd want to ride with can't hold very much.
Old 11-02-12, 09:31 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I cheated and rode the motorcycle today. I had a workout at the gym that kicked my a$$, and I think the ride in would just be an exercise in frustration.

Plus, this is the first day we've had with dry roads in a few weeks now.
Old 11-02-12, 10:21 AM
ZManT

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.2, 2006 Felt F80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First ride in way too long for me.

I got my fat ass up on the bike today, and am very glad for it.

Going to go for 100 miles in November to help me get over all of the turkey and stuffing i'm certain to crush in a couple weeks.

Last edited by ZManT; 11-02-12 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-02-12, 11:20 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's been a good few days of commuting since the storm passed and everything opened up again. Most interesting thing to happen was on Wednesday, when on my return trip home in the afternoon, a Natonal Park Service Police helicopter was landed by the boat ramp near Gravelly Point, rotors spinning, and some sort of activity going on by the water. Not sure what was going on, but it was a sight I;d never seen before.

The wwwwake of the storm has brought cooler temperatures, which is fine. It's still no" 'cold" yet with morning temps in the low 40s F. Certainly bearable with long sleeve tees or a fleece. It's actually nice because wven when I've ridden hard, I haven't really been sweating at all this week.
Old 11-02-12, 11:30 AM
gevad 

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Cannondale Topstone, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Hey, best of luck, fletchh! You've usually been the first DC area rider to post each morning, and I'm going to miss your reports of what you've seen on your pre-dawn rides to work.

Take care and keep riding. And please do check in from time to time on the other forums (50+?).
Old 11-02-12, 11:49 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Sadly, or joyfully, depending on your perspective, today is my last day in this blog as I retire today. It's been great to see and here stories about cycling to work every day. A special thanks to those who also rode in the winter and blogged here. On those cold dark rides in the morning, it meant allot to see others doing the same thing. My wife got rid of her car and I gave her mine, as I was finding less use for it. Whereever I end up in the world, it will be on bike and public transportation. I drove for almost 40 years, and now with a little luck in health, I can ride for the next 40. Best wishes to you all, and no doubt I will see you in other bike forum rooms.
That is awesome! Congratulations.
Old 11-02-12, 02:11 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Day 3 of post Sandy commuting: There seemed to be even more riders today coming across the bridge and riding in downtown Manhattan, and there were probably more bikes than cars. I stopped at the end of the bridge for coffee from Transportation Alternatives, but the ride was uneventful, as was the ride home.

I won't be riding Monday if the subway is running, and the promise is there will be something by then. Bloomberg promises power to lower Manhattan tonight and that should let the trains run through.
Old 11-02-12, 02:38 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
My ride home would have been more enjoyable if A) I had taken my mountain bike which had studded tires or B) Waited an hour before leaving.

It was very icy when I left the university. I let a lot of air out of my tires but it was still sketchy and I slide around a lot. Turns out I was riding 10.5 psi rear, 10 psi front, when I checked the pressure after getting home. While waiting at a light just resting my foot on the clipped in pedal was enough to spin out the rear tire. While walking the bike across an intersection I was able to push the bike sideways with little resistance.

I decided to stick to the MUP so I could ride on the grass if necessary (it was necessary). Near an underpass I had a near zero speed fall as both tires slid sideways. So for about 5km I rode on the grass and walked the bike where there was no grass.

Then the snow picked up, which provided traction on the pavement, so I was able to ride rest of the way home.

Studded tires will definitely be a necessity for the winter conditions we get here. Oddly enough the studded fat bike tires are much lighter than the tires that came on my bike.
Old 11-02-12, 08:57 PM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sadly, or joyfully, depending on your perspective, today is my last day in this blog as I retire today. It's been great to see and here stories about cycling to work every day. A special thanks to those who also rode in the winter and blogged here. On those cold dark rides in the morning, it meant allot to see others doing the same thing.
Congratulations, fletchh! I'll miss your posts, which I alwas kept an eye out for. Here's to lots of happy riding in retirement. Lucky dog... you're going to have so much time to go bike touring now (or maybe I'm projecting my own dream retirement on you).LOL All the best!
Old 11-02-12, 11:14 PM
Ira B

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nice and sunny on the way in, stormy with a nice tailwind all the way home.
Old 11-03-12, 08:34 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
I cheated and rode the motorcycle today.
Wait... that's cheating?!
Old 11-05-12, 06:18 AM
essiemyra

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 88 Posts
It was a cold 38f this morning, but I had thick gloves that kept my hands warm and a wool sweater and jacket I was fine. I loved this mornings ride it was very enjoyable in the cold. Though tonight I am not sure how that will go as it gets dark earlier and riding in the dark in the am does not bother me as hardly anyone is on the road but tonight it should start to get dark about fifteen to twenty minutes from my house so I guess I will wait and see how I like it.
Old 11-05-12, 06:51 AM
animabella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday's commute was pretty nice as far as weather went, but, when I approached one intersection, I waited for my light to go green...At this intersection, when the light does go green, I always wait a couple of seconds for the people who always run the yellow/red lights...so I waited, then proceeded through the intersection, except someone flew through the intersection (running a red) at 35+ mph. Their light had been red for 5 or more seconds. Good thing I was not going very fast, so I was able to react properly...but still, it was scary.

I ended up having a late night at school yesterday (welcome to being a music major), so I took a ride home with my roommate, so no commute this morning....I'm regretting it already, wishing I rode my bike back yesterday! Oh well.
Old 11-05-12, 06:54 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, exciting! Good luck!

34F/1C for me this morning. Stiff headwind keeping my speed down. There are reports of snow at higher elevations. My friend said it's snowing heavily around Montpelier.

I adjusted the Soho's front brake caliper yesterday and it's nice and tight and grabby now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.