Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 08:07 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Same temperature as yesterday, similar clothes, but today I was chilled. Even my hands. I put out slightly less effort but not that much - it felt about 5° colder than the NWS showed. Can there be micro-pockets of cold air, along a creek perhaps, that are colder than the surrounding area?
Old 01-23-13, 08:24 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I turned around after 3.5 kms, at -32celcius my wheel bearings were squeaking like mad so I didn't want to get a mechanical problem at that temperature on a 27.2 kms commute. Still, 7 kms total at -32 celsius is a personal best.
Old 01-23-13, 08:29 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
13ºF with headwind, news says windchill is 4º - not my coldest ride but it felt colder than it is because of humidity and I was about 5 min slower than usual. Forecast is for snow this afternoon so might be a fun ride home. I have to say, I might have bailed this morning if not for the accountability of this forum!
Old 01-23-13, 08:53 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
I was about 5 min slower than usual.
How long is your commute? 5 more minutes is not bad.
In the summer my all time best is 53min. for my 27.2 kms one way ride but this monday my all time worst was 1h35 for the same ride, almost double my time.
Old 01-23-13, 08:55 AM
SoggySandwich

Bikes: Trek 8.3 DS, Trek Ion CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first commute this year. I have a short 3.5 mi each way. This is also my first winter where I am even had a bike to commute with. Man it was cold, 18º. I cannot imagine how some of you are doing colder. Glad I did rode today. I have been all down that I have not had a chance to ride and I realized that I just have to make it happen.
Old 01-23-13, 09:16 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dramiscram
I turned around after 3.5 kms, at -32celcius my wheel bearings were squeaking like mad so I didn't want to get a mechanical problem at that temperature on a 27.2 kms commute. Still, 7 kms total at -32 celsius is a personal best.
I don't know if my bike will fair any better but I'm going to try biking in tomorrow. It is only a 4km route so hopefully my bearings will survive the trip. It is forecast to be -30C between 6 and 7am, my commuting time, so let's see how it goes.
Old 01-23-13, 09:36 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
I don't know if my bike will fair any better but I'm going to try biking in tomorrow. It is only a 4km route so hopefully my bearings will survive the trip. It is forecast to be -30C between 6 and 7am, my commuting time, so let's see how it goes.
My winter bike is 22-23 year old mtb, monday morning at -20 my freehub froze so for the first time in 22-23 years I took it off, cleande and lubed it and it worked fine this morning. So i guess that for the first time in 22-23 years I'll have to clean and lub my wheel bearings...
So if your bike is in better shape than mine you should be okay.
Old 01-23-13, 09:56 AM
arsprod 

Originally Posted by dramiscram
How long is your commute? 5 more minutes is not bad.
In the summer my all time best is 53min. for my 27.2 kms one way ride but this monday my all time worst was 1h35 for the same ride, almost double my time.
a shade over 11 miles (17.7028km, thank you google conversion) and usually takes me 55 mins. I recently built a 'winter' bike (old hybrid) and am surprised that I was immediately a bit slower. I didn't think going from 23 to 38 tires would make a difference but apparently it does. Add to that the cold and today it took me over an hour. Truth is, I'm not in any hurry to get to work so it's fine with me!
Old 01-23-13, 11:15 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Today i did my coldest ride so far: 10F.
Was cold but to be honest it wasnt much different from my previous low of 23F.

Took the new "scenic" route i decided to start taking to work to add some more morning miles, now totaling 12

pawls on the freewheel started to freeze a couple miles in, had to actively start coasting to keep it moving

things i need to change:
figure a way to get my glasses to stop fogging
get a jacket that has pit zips
warmer shoes and socks

Last edited by Mumonkan; 01-23-13 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-23-13, 11:21 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Well, looks like a "go" for my first commute in the better part of a year tomorrow. It's gonna be rough... low 50s....

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-23-13, 11:26 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
back to back cold commutes, 10F this AM. I pulled out the Dachstein wool sweater and gloves. Did their job. Sometimes old school gear is the answer.

Those to the north, hang in there.
Old 01-23-13, 11:54 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Well, looks like a "go" for my first commute in the better part of a year tomorrow. It's gonna be rough... low 50s....
Glad you'll be back in the commuting saddle! Low 50s. Ha! That's a veritable sauna in my book. Chilly 15-19 degrees on the ride in this morning, Thankfully less windy than yesterday morning. Might get a dusting of snow overnight tonight. Could make for a more beautiful ride tomorrow...
Old 01-23-13, 12:19 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Commute/training ride this morning.

The good: hit my wattage targets.
The bad: passed a guy on the trail who was walking along, muttering to himself, and carrying an aluminum baseball bat. (!)
The ugly: a few blocks from my office I noticed a woman on a cruiser bike with the front fork installed backwards.
Old 01-23-13, 12:23 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I'll bet you'll find a way to tough it out somehow.
Old 01-23-13, 06:35 PM
anichka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful ride home from work this morning at 0615 on my new Soma. Checked the weather before I left and it was 36 out with a feels-like temp of 41, which was nice after a bit of a cold streak (for the PNW anyway) lately. I even took my gloves off the last 15 minutes or so.

I didn't realize how much I liked riding before the sun comes up. This is my first year living somewhere that I will ride in January on a regular basis, and it was really nice and peaceful.
Old 01-23-13, 07:30 PM
GrouchoWretch
Slob

Bikes: 1970s AMF Roadmaster 3 speed, Bianchi Volpe, 2012 GT Zum City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Same temperature as yesterday, similar clothes, but today I was chilled. Even my hands. I put out slightly less effort but not that much - it felt about 5° colder than the NWS showed. Can there be micro-pockets of cold air, along a creek perhaps, that are colder than the surrounding area?
YES. Definitely. Colder air pools down at the bottom of a creek channel, canyon, or similar, while the warmer air rises out. That's why you always camp up the canyon. It can be 10 or 15F colder at the bottom.
Old 01-23-13, 07:36 PM
GrouchoWretch
Slob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last night, I was cycling home in the dark, on a MUP running along a bald ridge, and I thought I heard a kid or woman screaming. Then I heard it a few more times and thought, that was a pig of some sort. Pretty soon, there was a commotion in the weeds off to my left, and about 15 hogs, maybe javelinas, burst out of the brush and sprinted across the path right in front of me. That was pretty freaky.
Old 01-23-13, 07:42 PM
GrouchoWretch
Slob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suspect they were feral hogs.
Old 01-23-13, 07:44 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Originally Posted by GrouchoWretch
YES. Definitely. Colder air pools down at the bottom of a creek channel, canyon, or similar, while the warmer air rises out. That's why you always camp up the canyon. It can be 10 or 15F colder at the bottom.
surrounding most bodies of water (barring hotsprings) the air will be noticeably colder
my commute includes crossing an overpass type bridge that goes over a big inlet in the middle of a marsh

its the best part of the ride in the summer, winter not so much
Old 01-24-13, 06:45 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I decided to tough it out and ride in on this cold morning. With the exception of yesterday, I don't think I'll see a colder day this winter but who knows. It was -29C (-20F) with a wind chill of -40C/F, however, it was a nice ride in. Obviously, I was dressed for it, including ski goggles. My mitted hands were a bit cold at first but the excercise warmed them up, but my toes got cold by the end of the ride. I was wearing light-weight winter/hiking boots with thick wool socks but riding (probably only 15km/h, 10mph) into the wind probably forced the cold air into the boots to my toes. I have better boots that I'll wear next time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2013-01-24_073538.jpg (32.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-24-13, 07:06 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Great ride this morning with a tailwind much of the way. Even though temps were in the low 30s, it felt warm compared to yesterday's low of 18 F during my morning commute. Weird weather today as it's actually supposed to be colder during the afternoon compared to morning, with a cold front coming through during the day -- which means that I'll have a stiff, cold headwind on the way home. Won't be able to ride again until next Monday as I'm flying across the country tomorrow to attend a funeral for my brother. Sad.
Old 01-24-13, 07:21 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Won't be able to ride again until next Monday as I'm flying across the country tomorrow to attend a funeral for my brother. Sad.
My sincere condolences for your loss.
Old 01-24-13, 08:00 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

14 F today, iceicles on my eyelashes and frozen fingers

took a slightly more scenic route today and i think ill keep going that way

lots of idiot drivers out today too, very annoying
Old 01-24-13, 08:20 AM
arsprod 

Originally Posted by tarwheel
Great ride this morning with a tailwind much of the way. Even though temps were in the low 30s, it felt warm compared to yesterday's low of 18 F during my morning commute. Weird weather today as it's actually supposed to be colder during the afternoon compared to morning, with a cold front coming through during the day -- which means that I'll have a stiff, cold headwind on the way home. Won't be able to ride again until next Monday as I'm flying across the country tomorrow to attend a funeral for my brother. Sad.
so sorry for your loss
Old 01-24-13, 08:25 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
I decided to tough it out and ride in on this cold morning. With the exception of yesterday, I don't think I'll see a colder day this winter but who knows. It was -29C (-20F) with a wind chill of -40C/F, however, it was a nice ride in. Obviously, I was dressed for it, including ski goggles. My mitted hands were a bit cold at first but the excercise warmed them up, but my toes got cold by the end of the ride. I was wearing light-weight winter/hiking boots with thick wool socks but riding (probably only 15km/h, 10mph) into the wind probably forced the cold air into the boots to my toes. I have better boots that I'll wear next time.
You're the better man! I felt and acted like a lazy bastard this morning and took the van even if it's only -22 celcius here in southern Québec (always nice to fit the word 'south' or 'southern' with any part of Canada in the same phrase).

Hats off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.