Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Old 02-14-13, 07:48 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Chilly ride in this morning, about 40, but very pleasant. It's supposed to be in the 60s for the ride home. Schweet.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-14-13, 07:50 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
These days the sun is well up by the time I start. It was 3°, crisp clear and solitary - and I realized when I got here that I'd been so wrapped up in thought that I didn't really experience it.
Old 02-14-13, 08:08 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Nice weather for a change this morning, with clear skies and dry roads. The weather service nannies were advising people to watch out for black ice, but I wasn't too worried about that with temps in the upper 30s and very little water left on the roads after yesterday's rain. Weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow as well, so I should be able to salvage a decent week of bike commuting after missing two days due to rain.

The big news for me is they fixed our broken water heater at work, at least for now. It has broken 3 times in the past 6 months and I am getting tired of having to take cold showers on winter mornings.
Old 02-14-13, 08:25 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Originally Posted by wphamilton
and I realized when I got here that I'd been so wrapped up in thought that I didn't really experience it.
There are always one or two segments of my commute that are like that, where I suddenly realize I don't remember the last few miles.

Old 02-14-13, 08:46 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool morning at -1 celcius, very cloudy, no wind. I took off too early so I went slow, it was nice.
Old 02-14-13, 09:03 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
41 Deg.F when I left the house, starting to see the pre-sunrise by the time I got to work! Otherwise, no issues with motorists, no wind, all good!

Should be in the 60's when I ride home.

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-14-13, 09:47 AM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mid 50's this morning, nothing that bad. Rained last night, so I took the fendered bike this morning.
Old 02-14-13, 11:12 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Low 40s, wet roads with lots of standing water, and rainy. In other words, a typical Pacific Northwet commute. It made me cranky for some reason this morning, though, maybe because the cold and rain combination just feels so much colder than when it's just cold.
Old 02-14-13, 12:11 PM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another nice day, 30degF this morning. Melting snow all day makes for a wet ride on the commute home. Newly installed fenders are doing a great job. Not sure why I procrastinated that so long.
Old 02-14-13, 12:28 PM
Tractortom
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Off my bike for a few days. Rode to work on Tuesday and was in the shop getting ready to install a new radio in one of the trucks, when something in my back went "POP!" and suddenly I couldn't take a breath. Don't know what caused that RIB to move from it's normal place against my spine, but the pain was hard to describe. Got one of the guys to give me a ride to the house, went out to the Chiropractor and he got it back into place, but it's still sore and hard to get a nights sleep. Cold front coming through will bring rain and colder temps, so I'm back to work after two days, but not riding. Hope to do some commutes next week after I'm not so sore....

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee
OLD AGE SUCKS!
Old 02-14-13, 12:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
40-ish, no wind, bright sunshine. A perfect day to ride. Unfortunately my ride ended at the office.
Old 02-14-13, 02:30 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
Too cold. I'm driving. Go ahead and flame, I'll get over it lol
Would the flaming warm you up enough to ride?

My Blackburn Flea light I wear on my helmet quit on me before I even got headed down the driveway. I have a nice generator powered light on the bike, but I have a 9 mile ride on pure dark paved and dirt roads and I like to be able to see off the sides of the roads too. If the light had quit even a mile into the ride I would have continued, but since it was right outside my gate I just headed back into the house for a second cup of tea and drove the pickup. It sure is a nice day for riding....
Old 02-14-13, 02:46 PM
megalowmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While the weather was nice, today it was a bit somber.

My commute takes me past the location where Amber Dubois, a local 14-year old girl was abducted on February 13, 2009 and later murdered.

Each year for her birthday and Valentine's Day friends and relatives make a small memorial in her memory.

This was what I saw this morning on my ride in:

Old 02-14-13, 05:55 PM
PunkRockMD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode my first commute ever yesterday. Nice at 45°, no wind, 6 miles each way. Every thing went well, though my backside is a little worse for wear today! Had some aggressive 700x38 Cyclocross tires on it from the previous owner, but luckily ny Victoria Hypers (32) came yesterday. After installing them there is a night and day difference in ride quality and rolling resistance.
Old 02-14-13, 09:20 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Originally Posted by Doohickie
Chilly ride in this morning, about 40, but very pleasant. It's supposed to be in the 60s for the ride home. Schweet.
Yep, just as advertised. I did some bonus miles and ended up with 39 for the day.

Old 02-14-13, 10:06 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Got the new cassette on last night and bike works properly again :-)

What a gong show this morning. They are expanding the highway I ride along and right now it is down to a single little makeshift lane that is too narrow for a motorist to pass a cyclist. While a train was taking its sweet time (15 minutes) at a crossing, there were 3 of us cyclists who filtered up to the head of the line, and all the fuming drivers were forced to then follow us at 25 km/h through the construction zone. It was glorious. I'm starting to get a bit paranoid about having objects hurled at me .
Old 02-15-13, 06:54 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The early spring continues: well above freezing, damp air, some frost on wooden bridges, light in the sky, birds chirping.

I'm sure there will be a shift back down in temps but this is really nice.

A construction zone that I traverse is really starting to look nice, the MUP is now being repaired and for now I can ride on the compacted earth instead of riding over broken ground as I did the other day.

(FYI This is the 11th street bridge project by Navy Yard for you DC riders)
Old 02-15-13, 07:14 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, what a week. Nice 21degF this morning, calm, partly cloudy, just a perfect commute gliding along at 12 mph on black ice all the way. I think spring is in the air at least for now because a lone road bike rider pulled up behind me and greeted me good morning and we chatted a little until he sprinted off. For the first time in 3 months, I didn't feel alone.
Old 02-15-13, 07:29 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Hard weather to dress for today, with huge swings in temperatures expected. Temps in the upper 20s during my morning commute, but it's supposed to reach the 60s by late afternoon. I didn't feel like freezing this morning to avoid sweating in the afternoon, so I wore my warmest gloves and thick base layer but carried some lighter gloves and thinner base in my seat bag for the afternoon ride. Salvaged a decent week of commuting for mid-winter despite several days of rain, but it's looking like a tough weekend for recreational rides with snow possible tomorrow and frigid temps on Sunday.
Old 02-15-13, 07:30 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No commute for me today because..... I don't work on fridays!

Have a nice day everyone!

Old 02-15-13, 07:58 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
The ride in was brisk at 0°C. I felt like I was dragging just a bit, maybe because I set a personal record for the year on the home leg yesterday https://app.strava.com/activities/40909695#678414375 at 22:30 on the 9 mile greenway portion.
Old 02-15-13, 10:59 AM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
third in the bike lane
counting tire tracks in fresh snow
cruiser tracks are wide
Old 02-15-13, 12:19 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Superb. Bright, sunny, and warm. Rode with my son to his elementary school and then on to the office. Wonderful.
Old 02-15-13, 01:00 PM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finally on the saddle after 10 days of illness, pain and having become a couch potato!

Overcast weather with a bit of drizzle and gusting winds on my way to work, and mostly cloudy but dry on the way back with temps in the low teens (Celsius that is). I was afraid that I would be winded or weak from not riding all these days, but was pleasantly surprised by my performance, especially since I had a pretty bad headwind on the way there.
Old 02-15-13, 04:21 PM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful weather this morning. Temps in the upper 30s and a slight tailiwind. Bright sun. Great ride in.

As a couple others have said, spring seems to be in the air these days. Besides the fact that the vegetation seems a touch greener and you can feel that the trees are getting close to thinking about budding, I can feel a twitch in my legs... all winter long in the cold and dark I'm content putt-putting along; my average speed on my commutes is a couple miles per hour slower than it is in warmer months. Now, I'm starting to feel the urge to push a little harder again and go a touch faster.

Looking forward to a nice ride home in a few minutes and a nice long weekend (well, from work anyway... grad school classes not on break for Monday's holiday). Happy Presidents Day everyone!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.