Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

TX Man arrested for assault with his pickup against a group ride.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

TX Man arrested for assault with his pickup against a group ride.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-13, 03:39 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShooFlyPie
I may be stereotyping but I would believe Texas would have a lot more of the "cyclist belong on the sidewalk" crowd commenting on news articles.
You are stereotyping. Certainly, Texas has some people who believe that -- but so does everywhere else.

That said, you'll probably find that a lot of the commenter aren't even in Texas. Internet sites with stories about cyclists are funny like that.

Personally, I thought the comments on the articles were fairly typical of any cycling story, but perhaps a bit on the better side than normal -- fewer "get out of my way or I'll run you down" posts than normal, for example.
Old 10-21-13, 11:33 PM
Jimi77
Used & Abused

Bikes: GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some insight into "their" mentality...

I shared this video with a buddy of mine who is very "anti-bike." He's one of those guys who will pass dangerously close and try to intimidate cyclist. When he's 74 he'll be chasing down cyclist wielding a baseball bat.

Anyway, here's what he saw. An old man surrounded by a bunch of bikers trying to intimidate him and he was lucky to have the bat to protect himself with. Not only that, but we need more drivers like him (the old man in the video) to get all the bikes off the roads. Furthermore, his actions are justified because cyclist delay cars anywhere from 30 seconds to 2-3 minutes to possibly "a very long time on a 2 lane country road during rush hour."

Anyway, the point being there are people out there with totally irrational hatred for cyclist and they're the ones behind the wheel of a 2 ton SUV.
Old 10-22-13, 04:47 AM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There has to be a prior arrest history with the old, crazy dude. Getting into trouble like this is probably not new to him. As well as carrying a bat in a car for "trouble."

As Jimi77 has stated there are all manner of nuts out there walking, driving around. Sometimes we just get lucky enough to get caught up in their crap bag. And trust me - crazy people have very big nets to ensnare others.
Old 10-22-13, 06:57 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimi77
I shared this video with a buddy of mine who is very "anti-bike." He's one of those guys who will pass dangerously close and try to intimidate cyclist. When he's 74 he'll be chasing down cyclist wielding a baseball bat.

Anyway, here's what he saw. An old man surrounded by a bunch of bikers trying to intimidate him and he was lucky to have the bat to protect himself with. Not only that, but we need more drivers like him (the old man in the video) to get all the bikes off the roads. Furthermore, his actions are justified because cyclist delay cars anywhere from 30 seconds to 2-3 minutes to possibly "a very long time on a 2 lane country road during rush hour."

Anyway, the point being there are people out there with totally irrational hatred for cyclist and they're the ones behind the wheel of a 2 ton SUV.
see i just cannot fathom how people can think like this.
tell your "buddy" he's an ******* and I can't wait for him to end up in jail because his "intimidation" turned into him running over a cyclist and killing him/her. we'll see how he feels then.
Old 10-22-13, 07:15 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Group riders who think they own the road + motorists who think they own the road = trouble.

I am certain the riders did plenty to set off the crazy old dude. Everyone played their part i bet. Mob mentality vs lone insanity. They all suck.
Old 10-22-13, 07:39 AM
Jimi77
Used & Abused

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
tell your "buddy" he's an ******* and I can't wait for him to end up in jail because his "intimidation" turned into him running over a cyclist and killing him/her. we'll see how he feels then.
Honestly, he wouldn't feel the least bit bad. He'd be pissed about being in a jail and he'd be pissed about the damage to his vehicle, but he wouldn't feel bad that there is one less cyclist in the world. Ironically, if there were more cyclist, there would be less traffic on "his" precious roads.
Old 10-22-13, 08:06 AM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Bicycle group rides are generally just plain rude to other road users. .
Dude, maybe you should get with some mature, responsible cyclists. I've been on hundreds of group rides and I don't ever remember seeing what you are describing.

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I am certain the riders did plenty to set off the crazy old dude.
Really? What else are you "certain" of that has no evidence or basis in fact? Come on, man..
Old 10-22-13, 08:22 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
Trust me, I can. In the hurried world of the U.S., a several second delay is enough to set some people off into a fit of rage, and any cyclist exercising their rights to the road way, as motorists do, the cyclist is generally considered arrogant or militant or both.

Last edited by dynodonn; 10-22-13 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-22-13, 09:42 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by on the path
Really? What else are you "certain" of that has no evidence or basis in fact? Come on, man..
I would bet a weeks pay that a horn was blown and middle fingers were presented by at least one cyclist.
Old 10-22-13, 09:53 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Really? The guy posting videos of "conquering" other cyclists is going to speak about manners, common sense and etiquette?

Giving the finger to someone doesn't justify a crappy reaction or escalation. It might not be smart, but it's also not an excuse. I can give the finger to a driver all day long, and it doesn't justify them driving aggressively or putting me, or anyone else, in danger. Some people might think what you do is antagonizing, stupid and rude; in fact they may think it's only a matter of time until someone shoves a silca into your front wheel.

What I saw was a guy carrying a bat looking for a problem and who managed to find one. People looking for problems usually manage to find one. Nothing justifies leaving your car with a bat. Just like nothing would justify shoving an obnoxious arse on a Surly trying to embarrass people off of a bridge. It might be stupid to give a driver the finger, just like it's moronic to prove one's self worth by posting incessant videos "conquering" roadies, but it doesn't justify the reaction.
Old 10-22-13, 09:57 AM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path
Dude, maybe you should get with some mature, responsible cyclists. I've been on hundreds of group rides and I don't ever remember seeing what you are describing.
Exactly. I ride with a group almost every Saturday morning. Never have I ever experienced the group behaving in this manner.
Old 10-22-13, 11:21 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts

Great thread. Keep it going.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 10-22-13, 11:28 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Really? The guy posting videos of "conquering" other cyclists is going to speak about manners, common sense and etiquette?
Blocking the road, which I strive to NEVER do, is rude and extremely dangerous to everyone involved. I strive to stay out of the way. I mostly succeed in a city setting. In the country/burbs I ride alone or single file with some buds making it LOOK like I am trying to stay out of the way of traffic. Most sane motorists can tell when a cyclist is DOING THEIR BEST to let auto traffic go by.

Giving the finger to someone doesn't justify a crappy reaction or escalation.
Giving the finger (if this actually happened) to someone who can catch you/run you over/shoot you is just dumb. Then leaning a bike on that guy's truck is remarkably stupid.

What I saw was a guy carrying a bat looking for a problem and who managed to find one.
I have edited hundreds of videos. I show what I want to get a certain reaction and can the rest. Where is the video of the minutes BEFORE the baseball bat came out?

I see a bunch of rude, idiot roadies interacting with a stupid old man. This stuff happens EVERY weekend somewhere in the USofA. And I have to suffer the price of being associated with THAT breed of cyclist just because I ride a bike to work.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-22-13 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-22-13, 11:46 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
When I see your videos I see a rude, antagonizing guy I wouldn't want to be near with Napolean syndrome who wants to get a certain reaction...and I'll still fault the cyclist who eventually does shove a pump in your wheel.

To be clear - the issue is in the "us vs. them", and you're as guilty of it as the most obnoxious motorist or self righteous cyclist. You are the problem, not the solution...and you commenting on this is the height of unintentional irony.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 10-22-13 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-22-13, 12:23 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
...and you commenting on this is the height of unintentional irony.
As for "Us vs. Them", I am wise enough to pick battles I might win.

BTW...Very few of my posts here at BF have any "unintentional" consequences.
Old 10-22-13, 12:38 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I think, Aaron, that NOLA is such a different place from a lot of the other cities that we ride in, that the rules you and I play by are different from what's expected/tolerated in NOLA. I wouldn't ride like Joey does, but I've given up lecturing him and just enjoy the vicarious thrills of his videos. Just like NYC bike messengers... NO WAY would I ride like that but it's cool to watch.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 10-22-13, 12:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
... NO WAY would I ride like that but it's cool to watch.
Same could be said of "Fail" or "JackAss" cycling stunt videos on YouTube. Might also be good for posting if the intent is "unintentional" consequences.
Old 10-22-13, 01:17 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Same could be said of "Fail" or "JackAss" cycling stunt videos on YouTube.
Everyone in the OP video looked like asshats to me. I still found it entertaining.
Old 10-22-13, 01:30 PM
stanman13
Not racing.

Bikes: Old rigid mtn bikes

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Why would you be friends with someone who is so full of hate? I strive to keep those people out​ of my life. Don't need it.
Old 10-22-13, 02:03 PM
flyingtigers

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Expedition Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow...2-3 minutes? The horror.
Old 10-22-13, 07:52 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

A couple others commented on this, Jimi, and I'm kinda with them; you need better friends. Or, at least ONE. If I had a BROTHER who was like that, I'd disown him.

Some folks are not fit to be part of civilization.
Old 10-22-13, 08:35 PM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What does the old dude have to worry abouts? Don't he know that bikcyclists wearing them those kleats can't throw no punches? Can't plant dem feetz to throw a roundhouse. Don't need no bats for dem guys in lycra.

Unless some of those guys know ground and pound - can't see how any cyclist is frightening when wearing full kit.
Old 10-22-13, 08:49 PM
Jimi77
Used & Abused

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stanman13
Why would you be friends with someone who is so full of hate? I strive to keep those people out​ of my life. Don't need it.
Interesting, so other peoples' friends on here have no hatred in their hearts, don't act irrational or emotional and are otherwise saintly??? If that's the standard I need to hold my friends to, then I'd be friendless.
Old 10-22-13, 08:55 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Essex
As Jimi77 has stated there are all manner of nuts out there walking, driving around. Sometimes we just get lucky enough to get caught up in their crap bag. And trust me - crazy people have very big nets to ensnare others.
Summed this up well. Hate it when I get ensnared in someones crap bag.
Old 10-22-13, 09:00 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
A couple others commented on this, Jimi, and I'm kinda with them; you need better friends. Or, at least ONE. If I had a BROTHER who was like that, I'd disown him.

Some folks are not fit to be part of civilization.
There are probably a lot of people all of us know that think this way. Shoot, my wife just told me one of her friends told her she'll try and run down any cyclist she see's on the road because they close her rode for one morning ever year for a local bike race. Makes perfect sence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.