Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

L.A. cyclist sucked and nearly sideswiped by bus

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

L.A. cyclist sucked and nearly sideswiped by bus

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-17, 06:55 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516
Well, The OP said the cyclist almost went under the bus, when avoiding the glass in the bike lane.
I'm the OP and I didn't say that.

The bus was in its lane; the cyclist moved left in the shoulder to avoid glass, but not into the bus's lane. However, once the bus caught the cyclist, the turbulence sucked him towards the bus. But by that time the bus was already passing him.

In the OP I wrote the cyclist "somehow isn't hit". But since then I've learned he was grazed by the bus.

But he never went in front of it, nor did he look in danger of going underneath it.
Old 10-03-17, 07:02 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Too bad the original video was pulled.

In the video, the cyclist never looked back before swerving, nor did he apparently have a mirror, so he was riding as if he had the whole road to himself. I.E. without looking for the bus, there was no just letting it pass.

These were the two lead riders in the group, but I presume there was at least a third rider behind carrying the camera, maybe more. Thus, a sudden stop might be even more dangerous.

Riding solo, if I find myself squeezed in with traffic and glass, I'll just stop, let the cars past, then get going again, but that probably wasn't an option.

The other choice is to just run over the glass and hope for the best (and stay alive).

The swerve at the end after the bus passed was to recover from leaning towards the bus while it passed. But, again, without knowing about the traffic around himself, the cyclist was very lucky.
Cyclist was definitely lucky but I think it's important to note that although he swerved a foot or two left, he was not "riding as if he had the whole road to himself." He never even got on the road until the bus was passing and it sucked him across the shoulder stripe into the road. Before he got sucked, he was on the shoulder, not the road, even after the swerve.
Old 10-03-17, 07:56 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
cyclists don't get sucked into traffic because of the vacuum behind or near motor vehicles no matter how big. That's a complete myth.

If the cyclist did enter the traffic lane then it was for reasons other than air pressure from passing traffic.

-Tim-
Old 10-04-17, 03:32 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
cyclists don't get sucked into traffic because of the vacuum behind or near motor vehicles no matter how big. That's a complete myth.

If the cyclist did enter the traffic lane then it was for reasons other than air pressure from passing traffic.

-Tim-
The effect was even more obvious after the bus passed - he got thrown all over the road - it was amazing he didn't fall.

It's no myth. I've experienced it, though not to that degree.
Old 10-04-17, 05:41 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Experimental Data on Forces due to Vehicles Passing

I have felt the effect.

German study (in English) can be found at https://www.ifh.uni-karlsruhe.de/science/aerodyn/bilder_orginale/papers/Paper_Lichtneger_Ruck_final%202.pdf

Very briefly, the force on a 1 square meter board parallel to the direction of movement located 0.5 m (1’ 8”) from the edge of the vehicle and various heights 'Z' above grade as various vehicles pass at 80 km/h (50 mph) is shown. The force is in Newtons; 100 N is about 22 lb.

There is a very strong push away from the motor vehicle when the front passes, then a pull toward the vehicle about 5 feet behind the nose, then a strong pull toward the vehicle when the tail passes peaking at about 5-8 feet behind the tail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
force.JPG (95.3 KB, 115 views)
Old 10-06-17, 02:47 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
I have felt the effect.

German study (in English) can be found at https://www.ifh.uni-karlsruhe.de/science/aerodyn/bilder_orginale/papers/Paper_Lichtneger_Ruck_final%202.pdf

Very briefly, the force on a 1 square meter board parallel to the direction of movement located 0.5 m (1’ 8”) from the edge of the vehicle and various heights 'Z' above grade as various vehicles pass at 80 km/h (50 mph) is shown. The force is in Newtons; 100 N is about 22 lb.

There is a very strong push away from the motor vehicle when the front passes, then a pull toward the vehicle about 5 feet behind the nose, then a strong pull toward the vehicle when the tail passes peaking at about 5-8 feet behind the tail.
Outstanding.
Old 10-07-17, 08:43 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
If the left side was grazed, then it could have pushed the arm forward, causing the bars to counter steer into the bus.
Old 03-28-18, 09:10 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Bus Lawsuit Verdict

A much worse outcome than the video:

Bus Manufacturer Hit With $18.7M Verdict Over Cyclist?s Death

I don't put much credence in the palaver of the trial, and the big $ are because victim was a surgeon, but the thing I pay attention to is the hazard of being near big buses.

(Thanks to "bikinginla" for the head's up.)
Old 03-29-18, 03:13 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
My thought is this--The reason for the "Three Foot Rile" is that a two-foot-wide bike might need to swerve a foot at the last minute.

This was "Working as Intended."

A rider won't always have time to look back before swerving---And sometimes the obstruction is something which would throw the rider into traffic on his/her side. But ... if the car/truck/bus is three feet a way and the cyclist moves his/her front wheel a foot (Very extreme maneuver) s/he is still two feet from the passing vehicle.

As for the suction .... I have been passed by numerous semis at highway speed. They do Not suck you into their wakes.Crosswinds and wind-shadow can have an effect. The turbulence as they pass and after can have an effect. But if a cyclist moves half a lane ... said cyclist overcorrected Badly.
Old 03-29-18, 05:13 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
...............As for the suction .... I have been passed by numerous semis at highway speed. They do Not suck you into their wakes.Crosswinds and wind-shadow can have an effect. The turbulence as they pass and after can have an effect. But if a cyclist moves half a lane ... said cyclist overcorrected Badly.

I have NEVER been sucked in either BUT was just shoved big time last week by a dump truck's bow wave traveling 50+mph. It was followed by an 18 wheeler traveling as fast but did not have a bow wave like the dump truck so no push.
Old 03-29-18, 06:01 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
My thought is this--The reason for the "Three Foot Rile" is that a two-foot-wide bike might need to swerve a foot at the last minute.
The "3 foot rule" specifies a 3 foot separation from the widest part (the nearest handlebar end). Not from the centerline.

If a bike is two feet wide, your version of the three-foot rule would allow for two feet of swerving from the centerline.
Old 03-29-18, 06:02 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I have NEVER been sucked in either BUT was just shoved big time last week by a dump truck's bow wave traveling 50+mph. It was followed by an 18 wheeler traveling as fast but did not have a bow wave like the dump truck so no push.
i think sometimes the feeling of being sucked in behind comes from drivers or cyclists who are leaning left a little to compensate for the turbulence along the side of the big trucks, and not reacting quickly enough when the truck passes ans the side pressure stops.

That is my personal experience after a couple of long tours where for stretches we had to share the road fairly closely with fast-moving trucks. but I could be wrong.
Old 03-29-18, 06:14 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
I call BULL. Buses can't suck anything.
I was in Vietnam and came upon road works with maybe 21 or 22 feet of old pavement and a foot high crushed rock ramp to the right. A couple hundred yards ahead, a tour bus pulled out to pass another tour bus. I was too late getting to the right, so I waved at him to get over. Didn't happen, they squeezed by me at 50+ mph. I hugged the last 6" by the rocks. The wind did nothing, but then me and the bike were 290 lbs. ha
You know better than that. You can feel the low pressure even in a car. But a lot depends on wind direction and speed. Under the right conditions you might not feel much of anything. But that's the exception, not the rule.
Old 03-29-18, 12:42 PM
sirkaos

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert, Surley Karate Monkey 29er hard tail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I saw the adjective "sucking" used on numerous occasions in this post. I learned a long time ago from my Aviation instructor (former NTSB board member), that there is no such thing as sucking.

It is called "differential pressure". That may paint a different perspective for some folks.

I came late to the party here so I don't have any comments as to the course of action taken by the rider.
Old 03-29-18, 06:47 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by sirkaos
I saw the adjective "sucking" used on numerous occasions in this post. I learned a long time ago from my Aviation instructor (former NTSB board member), that there is no such thing as sucking.

It is called "differential pressure". That may paint a different perspective for some folks.

I came late to the party here so I don't have any comments as to the course of action taken by the rider.
More scientific so therefore, more accurate. But less generally descriptive for the masses to understand.
Old 03-30-18, 09:33 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
For some odd reason, I do not have to swerve to avoid glass when cycling in the travel lane.
Old 03-31-18, 03:06 AM
Maelochs

In any case ... this was the "three-foot rule" working as intended. The cyclist had to make an emergency maneuver, while be overtaken by a motor vehicle, and was able to safely execute said maneuver without anyone being injured or anything being damaged.