Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Have you ever Endo’d (gone over the bars) while braking?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Have you ever Endo’d (gone over the bars) while braking?
Yes, once
26.47%
Yes, several times
10.29%
Just about every day
1.47%
Never
61.76%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Have you ever Endo’d (gone over the bars) while braking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-18, 01:18 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
endo'd is a great term
Endo is both a verb and a noun, but I'd say the correct past tense would be endoed. The apostrophe continues to sneak in where it is not correct.
Old 04-25-18, 03:29 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Never endoed myself, but I saw my son hit a stump while mountain biking - dead stop, over the bars onto the deck, then the bike cartwheeled over on top of him.
He got up with a few bruises, and was back on the bike once he'd got his breath back. Teenage invulnerability. His only complaint was that it wasn't on video for him to upload to YouTube.
Frightened the life out of me though.
Old 04-25-18, 05:48 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
I voted “once”, because I couldn’t remember for sure, but I thought there must have been something. Now when I have given it some thought I recall several episodes, but not all of them qualify as endo while/due to braking.

I have endoed several times due to crashing into things or getting front wheel locked in a hole or similar.

Once was when I as a kid I was happily pedaling along a path that led over a wooden bridge over a canal. The bridge was picturesquely curved so the mid part obscured what was behind it. Behind it, as I soon learned, was... pretty much nothing – upon reaching the middle of the bridge I saw that the other side was destroyed. It was too late to brake, I just continued on my way, hit the other bank of the canal hard with my front wheel and went over the bars. Nothing serious, as slightly bruised nose and a nosebleed for a couple of minutes. The bike was alright too. Later I learned a car had crashed into the bridge from other side the night before. Apparently nobody thought of fencing off the site in any way.

Another time was when I crashed into a parked car. Don’t ask me how, as I’m at a loss still to this day; I only remember that it was raining hard, and the hood of my raincoat was sliding onto my eyes and I had to push it back up all the time. So one time I pushed it up and saw a car’s rear end in about 2 m from me. Went through the rear window facefirst. Again, no major injuries, just a nosebleed and some minor cuts on my face. The bike had bent fork, which I later bent back into shape myself. Had to reimburse the car owner for the broken window too.

I’ve also did that foot getting stuck between the wheel and fork thing mentioned here before.

The last time was some 3-4 years ago. I was at a friends place; his house is on a river bank. I was going down the grassy slope towards the river, an open beer in one hand, steering and pressing lightly on the front brakes with the other, when I hit a small depression hidden by the grass. No damage whatsoever, not to myself nor the bike, and I even didn’t spill the beer
Old 04-25-18, 08:18 AM
Dreaded1

Bikes: 03 Marin Bear Valley, 1999 GT ZR2000, Raleigh M80(converted to single speed), 2017 Masi Gran Corsa disc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup multiple times, mainly while trying to learn to balance on the front wheel on my old bmx bikes when I was a kid.

As an adult I watched one of the neighborhood kids take my MTB for a ride up the street. I had just adjusted the brakes to where I like them, short pull, instant engagement. The kid wasn't aware, another kid ran out in front of the bike and kid grabbed a handful of front brake. I have never seen someone go over the handle bars so fast. I felt bad for the kid but it was funny to see.

Last year whislt riding my road bike it mech disc, I came into an emergency braking situation. I knew a turn was coming up and the group was slowing down. So I looked down to grab a water bottle. When I looked up, the turn wasn't the one I was anticipating, it was a road closer. The entire group had slowed and was turning right infront of me and I had the bottle in my right hand. I was able to grab a handful of front brake and fingerful of rear, never went over, and didn't hit the other riders. But it was a very close call, and the pucker factor was extremely high.
Old 04-25-18, 08:45 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Endo is both a verb and a noun, but I'd say the correct past tense would be endoed. The apostrophe continues to sneak in where it is not correct.
I'll defer to your expertise
Old 04-25-18, 08:55 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Feel free to write/treat "endo" however you please, as it's a contracted formation of "end over end" or "end over front." I do not regard endo'd as any more or less correct than endoed.
Old 04-25-18, 01:02 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
fwiw, only time I ever endo'd was when I was a kid on my stingray trying to ride through a pile of leaves. it was not a fluffy pile I guess, so the front wheel stopped dead & I went over. fortunately there was enough of a pile that I landed w/o injury. no intentional braking was applied by myself, just by the pile
Old 04-25-18, 01:49 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Nope, just laid it down a few times on the street after shearing a crank arm. Not lately and I'll spare you the Crystal and Lovitz routine.
Old 04-25-18, 01:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
About a year ago, during a crit. I'd drifted to the back to get a drink on a long, wide straightaway when two guys somehow managed to get entangled and go down right in front of me. Had nowhere to go and just sort of did a somersault over one of the riders lying in the road. Got up, checked myself, rode to the pit, and showed the ref that my brakes had gotten knocked out of alignment. They gave me a free lap and put me back in the race. Lucked out because if it had happened a lap or two later, I would have had to chase. Got 4th. I think I won $20 and a bottle of wine.
Old 04-25-18, 05:13 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I've done two front end wheelies with my disc braked Culprit. The last time was when a jerk in a Chevy van thought the cars were all stopped for him, as I was riding on a traffic light controlled bike path, which crosses a road. Both times, I was able to panic stop, the rear wheel came up, but I was able to get a foot down and not go over. I love my disc brakes, despite what the uninformed guy in another thread says about them. The other time was my fault making a left turn against oncoming traffic coming faster than I anticipated. Panic stop, rear wheel came up, didn't go over, just stopped. A momentary front end wheelie beats becoming a car's grill decoration.
Old 04-25-18, 09:31 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I've done two front end wheelies with my disc braked Culprit. The last time was when a jerk in a Chevy van thought the cars were all stopped for him, as I was riding on a traffic light controlled bike path, which crosses a road. Both times, I was able to panic stop, the rear wheel came up, but I was able to get a foot down and not go over. I love my disc brakes, despite what the uninformed guy in another thread says about them. The other time was my fault making a left turn against oncoming traffic coming faster than I anticipated. Panic stop, rear wheel came up, didn't go over, just stopped. A momentary front end wheelie beats becoming a car's grill decoration.
Motorcycle guys call them stoppies.
Old 04-26-18, 10:09 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I went over the handlebars just two weeks ago. I was going around the inside loop at Stone Mountain. I climbed out of the seat to attack a short hill. Got too close to the curb. Crank arm and pedal came down and hit curb. Bike stopped. I kept going. Over the handlebars. Sailed over the strip of earth and landed in the middle of the sidewalk. Thank goodness I was wearing gloves. Would have scraped my palms off. Scraped knee pretty bad. But, got up and walked away. Front wheel wouldn’t turn afterward. Looked closely at front brake. I must have squeezed brake lever so hard the entire side pull caliper was bent. Lucky fall for a 61 year old .
Old 04-26-18, 02:31 PM
jaycb74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It can be very easy to endo on a powerful disc break. You never endo? Well, you never had a powerful top end disc brake with short pull levers, it's really just as simple as that and not much to discuss.

Yes, this. Was mountain biking about 7 years ago, going a pretty good clip down fireroad (no ruts), out of the seat likely, next thing you know I'm on the ground with a grade 3 clavicle break, busted shoulder blade and torn rotator cuff. It was so quick and violent that there was no oh *hit moment, just me lying under my bike wondering what the heck just happened. Only conclusion was that I must have locked the front disc break while not seated and bam, there you go.
Old 04-26-18, 02:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup. Testing new tires and brake adjustments on wet grass on a mountain bike. I thought the tires would skid a bit since they were chevron tread rather than knobbies. Nope. They dug in hard. And it was my first bike with linear pull V-brakes. I really underestimated how hard those brake with only fingertip effort.

Went over the bars and landed on my feet like a gymnast. For a split second I was ready to do the victorious arms raised thing. Then I tangled a foot in the brake cable and fell splat on the ground anyway. Minus 2 points from the judges.
Old 04-26-18, 03:26 PM
Vio1

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thankfully never.
Old 04-26-18, 08:28 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Almost impossibe on my LWB recumbent.
Old 04-27-18, 05:41 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Yes, many many moons ago, back when I was still in grade school. My Sears 3-speed, with steel chrome-plated rims, generic caliper brakes. I was riding down a slight hill (such as they are in Northern Ohio) and pedaling for all I was worth trying to make the traffic light at the bottom. Of course the light at that busy intersection changed just as I was less than 50' away. I panic-grabbed both brake levers with all my strength and was rewarded with a World Class endo...
Old 04-27-18, 12:24 PM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, during a race. I was doing a fabulous job avoiding a crashed rider who was sliding sideways in front of me on his back. I was braking hard but very controlled and angling to avoid him. The problem was the riders behind me were physically pushing me forward so I hit the guy in his midsection and over the bars I went. I tucked and did not let go of the bars. This resulted in me coming down on my head and right shoulder. I fractured my clavicle on landing and the force drove my elbow into my rib cage and gave me some really pleasant fractures there as well. I got up and finished the race (42 minutes of joy) and then my Wife drove me to the hospital. I have gone over the bars goofing off in front of the kids but that was harmless.
Old 04-27-18, 05:10 PM
TKunich

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should really believe all these guys saying that it is impossible because they always know so much or else ride like little old ladies in walkers.
Old 04-29-18, 11:58 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I feel better not coming across I think even one instance of endo resulting from road caliper brakes.
Old 04-30-18, 03:10 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Sixteen years old. Didn't glue my sew-up to the rim well enough. Drank a quart of beer. Was goofing around steering back and forth when the tire came off and stuck in the brake. They scraped the dirt out of my jawbone (chin) to sew me up, and I chipped or cracked 13 teeth. Luckily I had a great dentist. I guess more lucky still was that I didn't get killed or paralyzed.
Old 04-30-18, 06:35 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Trying to do endos and staoppies. A few were on a hardtail here the fork unloaded and flung me.
Old 05-01-18, 02:02 PM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I have twice. Once when I hit an unleashed dog and the 2nd time trying to avoid broad-siding some kids on their BMX bikes crossing the cycling path I was on.
Old 05-01-18, 09:12 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
I did once right in front of my house on my (no suspension) 1990’s mountain bike with cantilever brakes. Normally I commute with panniers on rear rack and I’m used to having all that weight back there. This day, I hopped on without any weight to run around the corner. As I approached an intersection, a car pulled out right in front of me from the right. I went over likity-split. I had my helmet on and I tucked my head in (instinctively.. it all happened very fast) and no damage. But I certainly learned the change in the bike braking with a light rear end…
Old 05-01-18, 10:24 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Well, my girlfriend has a scar on her knee that was caused by a front brake endo when she took her new bike to college on the first day of school. That is what she claims anyways!
I did have her carefully detail the incident, because I found it a little hard to believe. She sticks to the full endo story.
I built up some ridiculous French bike we dubbed "the queen of England " (another story) for a buddy that had incredibly tight geometry. I installed flat bars. He claims he straight up endoed TWICE when he grabbed a handful of front brake on the descent. Hard to swallow that one too. He insists.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.