Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to remove Suntour Winner / New Winner lock ring?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-22-18, 08:51 AM
rickrob 

Bikes: 75 Raleigh Gran Sport, 88 Bridgestone RB3, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 75 Jeunet 620, 95 Fuji Team

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts

I have a couple of Suntour Winner and New Winner freewheels that I'd like to open up, clean and re-lubricate. These have the lock ring that has two small notches.

I located one of the spanner tools for that ring, and I should have that in week-- but I was wondering if there is another method to remove that ring in case that tool doesn't work all that well.

Has anyone removed the lock ring without that tool?
Old 10-22-18, 09:34 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Years ago, I made my own tool to hold the center portion of the freewheel in a vise while I used a two pin tool to remove the ring. I still have the tool. I will see if I can get a picture of it tonight.

It is basically an aluminum cylinder that was able to machine two different diameters on. One for the notch and one to fit through the hole in the center of the freewheel Then I used a hack saw and I file to make the tangs to fit into the notches. I would engage the tool into the notches, and pass the body through the freewheel where I could clamp it to a vise.

I know, a lot of words that may or may not make sense. I will try to remember to get the picture tonight.
Old 10-22-18, 09:36 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

There are other ways to make this tool. I happened to have access to a lathe at the time. If I had to do it now, I would probably use steel key stock to engage the notches. And attach this to a steel shaft with screws or pins and screws.
Old 10-22-18, 11:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I recommend soaking in solvent and then relubing with another immersion,in oil,
without releasing the zillion tiny balls to be lost..

New Winner Pro , Lubes thru a hole uncovered when you remove your freewheel..
Old 10-22-18, 04:39 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
The New Winner can be a royal PITA when it comes to service. Sometimes they open right up, other times they defy all attempts, even after using lots of penetrating oil or heat. A hammer and punch can also be used but be aware that the notch edges are easily damaged.

When and if you do manage to loosen the lock rings, take care to do so over a bowl or towel which will catch the loose ball bearings. There was a good reason why this design never caught on at Suntour and was never copied by any other freewheel manufacturer.

Best of luck and let us know how you do.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 10-22-18, 08:24 PM
dwing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I just recently overhauled a NW Freewheel with new bearings, and I took pics to document ..l'll upload tomorrow. The adjustable bearing load lock design and using the dedicated tool makes it a fairly routine process just like replacing bearings in a hub. Presoaking in a penetrating oil isnt a bad idea if one thinks the lock ring might be seized. Pics tomorrow!
Old 10-22-18, 10:08 PM
Velo Mule

The tool goes through the center hole and the tangs engage into the notches. It is held by a vise under the freewheel.

Old 10-23-18, 04:59 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Velo Mule, very clever tool!

Old 10-23-18, 06:15 AM
dwing

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
New Winner Ultra 6
Old 10-23-18, 06:25 AM
dwing

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
This particular fw had spent significant time outdoors on a scrap pile in the elements. Rotation was rough, it wobbled, and it made klunking noises when I rode even though I flushed & oiled it several times. As stated previously, the notches can be damaged easily so leaving the fw on the hub & using the dedicated tool locked with a skewer allows for better leverage.

Old 10-23-18, 06:34 AM
dwing

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I was surprised it was still quite dirty inside with all the flushing I'd done. I left the pawl springs in place while cleaning because I didn't think it was necessary.
Old 10-23-18, 06:40 AM
dwing

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
New bearings & grease.. ready to put back together.
Old 10-23-18, 06:56 AM
dwing

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Once back together, adjusting the bearing load was similar to wheel bearings. I think the tool really helps make the adjusting process an easier task. I didn't overly tighten the lock ring when I reinstalled as I wanted to perform some test rides. I've got a few hundred miles on it now. It's as smooth as silk, no wobble or play, cranks will spin backward a few rotations as I thought they should, and it has a wonderful clicking sound as it freewheels.
Old 10-23-18, 08:43 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
Originally Posted by dwing
This particular fw had spent significant time outdoors on a scrap pile in the elements. Rotation was rough, it wobbled, and it made klunking noises when I rode even though I flushed & oiled it several times. ........
oh man, the dreaded SunTour "clunk" when riding!
I've had two Perfect freewheels disassemble themselves while riding, and the incidents were preceded with that clunking (twice per wheel revolution). The cone had backed off, leaving some slop in the bearings. This allows the freewheel body to pivot on the pawls, producing the clunk.

More recently, I had gotten some New Winners from a friend. When one of them started the clunking, I was fortunate to find a spanner for sale and readjust the bearings. Haven't had a repeat of that issue, fortunately, but I still have the occasional nightmare about that clunk (just kidding, mostly).

Thanks for the documentation of the overhaul! Well done!

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-23-18, 02:45 PM
rickrob 

Bikes: 75 Raleigh Gran Sport, 88 Bridgestone RB3, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 75 Jeunet 620, 95 Fuji Team

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
@dwing -- Great pics and procedures on how to overhaul a Winner / New Winner-- Thank you!
I'll try mine and see how far I get once the tool arrives.
Old 10-23-18, 05:46 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Generally, when I repack free wheels, I leave them mounted on the bicycle wheel during the process of loosening the cone/lock ring. I only loosen it enough so that I can unassemble it AFTER removing it from the wheel. I favor the modified punch and hammer approach to loosening the ring. Pin tools seem to inevitably slip out of the holes unless clamped down using large fender washers and the wheel's axle. Making a set up to hold the pin tool in place is pretty challenging in its own right, whereas the hammer and punch method is fairly quick and dirty.
Additionally, I use tuna cans, lined with adhesive magnetic sheet ( available from Ace Hardware) to capture all the ball bearings. The can is just the right size to sit under the free wheel as you disassemble it. I have made, some years ago, a special "pawl and spring holder" that lays across the free wheel body keeping the pawls recessed. This home made tool aids in allowing the inner free wheel body to slip into the freshly greased and ball bearing loaded outer body without dislodging any of the bearings. I made this tool/ "pawl retainer" from an aluminum soft drink can.
I do defer , however, to PastorBob in all matters free wheel related; his encyclopedic experience trumps mine. I have, only repacked Maillard/ Atom , the lower end Sun Tour and Shimano , and some 30 years ago, a Regina. Doesn't really stack up to Free wheel Spa.......

Old 10-23-18, 06:08 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
That lock ring is reverse thread, correct?
Old 10-23-18, 06:27 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
The New Winner can be a royal PITA when it comes to service. Sometimes they open right up, other times they defy all attempts, even after using lots of penetrating oil or heat. A hammer and punch can also be used but be aware that the notch edges are easily damaged.

When and if you do manage to loosen the lock rings, take care to do so over a bowl or towel which will catch the loose ball bearings. There was a good reason why this design never caught on at Suntour and was never copied by any other freewheel manufacturer.

I've dismantled and successfully overhauled several Winner and New Winner freewheels, with no specialized tools ( if you don't count universal spanner wrenches). A labour of love for sure. Judicious use of heat is your friend for getting them apart in the first place.
I like that as the attending mechanic, you have full control over the bearing preload, without resorting to unobtanium shims.

Originally Posted by madpogue
I can never remember. Drives me crazy.
Old 10-23-18, 07:22 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Look closely at @dwing 's pictures and you will see an arrow pointing in the correct direction.

Old 10-23-18, 08:43 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
here's a shot of one of my New Winners. Looks like conventional RH threads.
IIRC, most/all other freewheels use cones w/o lockrings, and they use LH threads (but I haven't checked my stash of spare SunTour bodies to confirm)

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-23-18, 09:40 PM
dwing

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Unscrew the lockring first , standard thread, counterclockwise as indicated on the FW. IMHO, install new bearings ..youre only ever going to do this once to fix an issue that soaking in oil hasnt done to your satisfaction. The fuss about spilling bearings has me puzzled.
Old 02-11-21, 03:20 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,311 Times in 775 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh

Just had to (further) butcher a Winner six-speed; the previous goon had torn up the notches so badly that the lockring would not turn. Not only that but the outermost sprocket would *not* unscrew. Dremel and one cutoff wheel to split the sprocket so the stack would come off, another wheel to cut a section of the the freewheel wall out and then the lockring in sections; eventually it all gave up and the body lifted off. After that it was only a medium-sized grunt with the core gripped in the vice.