Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Say something to hands-off cyclist?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Say something to hands-off cyclist?

Old 09-20-19, 06:11 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Doesn't bother me. The first kamikaze squirrel or chipmunk will take care of it. Encountered two the other day within a couple of miles-one almost ended up in the wheel of a friend riding ahead of me.
Old 09-20-19, 06:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

There are sections of MUPs near me that are the closest thing I can find to a several mile closed track. Sorry you're missing out.
Yeah. I have ridden the 40 mile MUP between Lolo and Hamilton, MT, several times. Hardly seen anyone. And there are some nice views. All MUPs are not created equal.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-20-19, 06:25 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Be sure to tell him to wear a helmet too.
Old 09-20-19, 06:29 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by 400E
So my current pet peeve when on my MUP is the occasional rider, usually a male teenager, riding towards me whom I notice as he passes that he's riding hands-off. I reflexively yell something like "Hands on the bars!" as I pass since I think it's pretty rude to ride in the vicinity of another human (pedestrian or cyclist) without full control of the bicycle. All it would take is the front wheel hitting a piece of tree branch on the trail to send that cyclist flying, and there would be a good chance he'd collide with anyone nearby.

Wondering what others think about this?
ride your bike. you are not the mup police. kids riding bikes is a good thing, encourage it
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 09-20-19, 06:34 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
It doesn't strike me as rising very high on the scale of hazards. With that said, when I'm riding no-hands, I will usually put my hands back on the bar if there's any kind of traffic -- bikes, peds, whatever.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 09-20-19, 06:35 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I think that male teenagers generally do the opposite of what adults tell them to do.
Female teenagers are not that much better.
Old 09-20-19, 06:58 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
I don't care much about a lone cyclist, on a MUP, riding with no hands. I sometimes do it too.
The inexperienced guy riding with no hands at a crowded charity event bothers me much more.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-20-19, 07:10 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
I'd mmob. Now if it were breaking a law, then I'd notify the authorities.
Check your local regulations. In many jurisdictions, riding "no hands" is against the law. E.g.:

"Trick riding, including riding with no hand on the handle bars, is not allowed on any road, bicycle way, or sidewalk."

https://stevenspoint.com/640/Bicycle-Rules
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-20-19, 07:39 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
All it would take is the front wheel hitting a piece of tree branch on the trail to send that cyclist flying
I've been riding for a long time and have been able to comfortably ride with no hands for as long as I can remember. Most experienced cyclists are quite capable of riding and steering their bike with no hands. While it's possible to lose control I can't recall ever hearing of anyone who crashed while riding with no hands. The risk exists but it's very low.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 09-20-19, 08:09 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Your post is unclear, are you really pointing your bike at 9-12 year olds?
To clarify:

1) I don't play chicken with young schmucks. When I see a bike being ridden no handed coming towards me, and the bike isn't going in a straight line, I'll ride a few yards at the bike. If that doesn't do the trick, I go back into my lane and slow down and suppress the urge to whack the kid.

2) I just slow down for kids who are pretty clearly learning to ride. I'm not happy with the parents, who shouldn't take their kids on a MUP until they can ride in their lanes, but as for the kids themselves, I'm happy to give them the time they need to learn.
Old 09-20-19, 08:14 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
I've been riding for a long time and have been able to comfortably ride with no hands for as long as I can remember. Most experienced cyclists are quite capable of riding and steering their bike with no hands. While it's possible to lose control I can't recall ever hearing of anyone who crashed while riding with no hands. The risk exists but it's very low.
I wouldn't assume the person riding on the path with no hands is experienced.

Even people who know what they are doing can crash riding no hands. If it can happen to Chris Froome--who is a pretty good bike rider--it can happen to you.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/12/sport...gbr/index.html

Not to be harsh but personally I'm indifferent to whether you crash riding no hands. It's your call. But you should be concerned about others if you do this on a regular basis on a MUP.
Old 09-20-19, 08:32 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I admit it's annoying to see a rider no-hands on a busy MUP, even if he looks like he's got it under control. But "say something" - out of the question.

The MUP isn't a street with regulated traffic and licensed drivers, nor a group ride with everyone on the same page. It is a *park* sometimes filled with people with different agendas and some of them treating it like a park. Children, dogs, walking groups, family groups wandering aimlessly, people on bikes who almost never ride bikes. They're all doing what they're supposed to be doing even when their judgement and skills are lacking - which is most of the time. We have to just expect it and deal with it if we're going to ride there.

About half my riding is on our Greenway, probably about 3000 miles per year for me on the same 8-10 mile section every day. If I was even tempted to say something every time I saw someone doing something boneheaded or that looked dangerous, I think the sheer frustration would have stopped me years ago. Just roll with it and forget it.
Old 09-20-19, 08:33 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Most experienced cyclists are quite capable of riding and steering their bike with no hands.
Most experienced cyclists can ride with no hands, but they almost never do. The only time I have both hands off the bars is when I'm taking clothing on or off, and only on a straight road at moderate speed.

When I see a person riding along with no hands for no apparent reason, I assume he (and it's always a "he") is a clueless noob, and I give him a wide berth.

Old 09-20-19, 08:45 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I wouldn't assume the person riding on the path with no hands is experienced.

Even people who know what they are doing can crash riding no hands. If it can happen to Chris Froome--who is a pretty good bike rider--it can happen to you.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/12/sport...gbr/index.html

Not to be harsh but personally I'm indifferent to whether you crash riding no hands. It's your call. But you should be concerned about others if you do this on a regular basis on a MUP.
37 mph, blowing his nose, high pressure narrow tires, on a reportedly very gusty day. A combo that turned into a bad outcome. Sorry to hear that happened to him.

I have a hard enough time riding with my hands on the bars in high wind gusts, but when the traction is good and the winds aren't gusting, riding with no hands on the bars is easy with a stable bicycle.

Some bikes simply aren't as stable as others, downright twitchy even. Out of the three bikes I've had in the last year, one was twitchy as soon as your hands came of the bars, one is twitchy if you let the speed drop too low, and one is as stable as an aircraft carrier.
Old 09-20-19, 08:48 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
37 mph, blowing his nose, high pressure narrow tires, on a reportedly very gusty day. A combo that turned into a bad outcome. Sorry to hear that happened to him.

I have a hard enough time riding with my hands on the bars in high wind gusts, but when the traction is good and the winds aren't gusting, riding with no hands on the bars is easy with a stable bicycle.

Some bikes simply aren't as stable as others, downright twitchy even. Out of the three bikes I've had in the last year, one was twitchy as soon as your hands came of the bars, one is twitchy if you let the speed drop too low, and one is as stable as an aircraft carrier.
If someone as experienced as Chris Froome can miscalculate, then mere mortals can as well even on days without high winds.
Old 09-20-19, 08:48 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
I have seen a lot of unsafe behaviors on MUPs, sometimes resulting in dangerous situations and accidents. Riding no-hands doesn't really rank with some of the things I've seen.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 09-20-19, 08:51 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
If someone as experienced as Chris Froome can miscalculate, then mere mortals can as well even on days without high winds.
I've had more than my fair share of crashes in cars, motorcycles, and bicycles. With a hospital stay for one of them. He's not alone in going down.

Lessons to be learned, but don't let it stop us from getting back on again.
Old 09-20-19, 09:43 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Just think of all the walkers and joggers with THEIR hands off the bars also! I mean, it would only take them putting a foot down on a branch or rock for them to stagger into the oncoming lane...

Heck, I see a number of people with their hands ON the bars who barely seem to be able to stay in a lane.

If he's not swerving about, let it be. TBH, he may just get a laugh out of you yelling at him and thus intentionally ride with no hands when he sees you coming.
Likes For Caliper:
Old 09-20-19, 09:49 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I reflexively yell something like "Hands on the bars!" as I pass since I think it's pretty rude...
Almost as rude as yelling at strangers??

I'd tell you to GFY and enjoy the rest of my ride.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 09-20-19, 10:23 AM
smullen

Bikes: Trek 4900, Giant Anthem x 29er 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
What is a MUP?

Best I can come up with is Multi-Use Path.
Old 09-20-19, 10:28 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
So my current pet peeve when on my MUP is the occasional rider, usually a male teenager, riding towards me whom I notice as he passes that he's riding hands-off. I reflexively yell something like "Hands on the bars!" as I pass since I think it's pretty rude to ride in the vicinity of another human (pedestrian or cyclist) without full control of the bicycle. All it would take is the front wheel hitting a piece of tree branch on the trail to send that cyclist flying, and there would be a good chance he'd collide with anyone nearby.

I think you should focus on your own riding.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-20-19, 10:28 AM
02Giant 

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts

I think you should avoid the areas I ride. You will be mumbling to yourself.
Old 09-20-19, 10:32 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Check your local regulations. In many jurisdictions, riding "no hands" is against the law. E.g.:

"Trick riding, including riding with no hand on the handle bars, is not allowed on any road, bicycle way, or sidewalk."

https://stevenspoint.com/640/Bicycle-Rules
"Trick riding"? Riding no-handed isn't trick riding; it's a useful skill that every rider should master, such as bunny-hopping.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-20-19, 10:36 AM
02Giant 

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Seems like a topic that should be in A & S.
Old 09-20-19, 10:42 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
The problem with this thread is mistake of fact.

OP didn't see someone riding 'no hands'; op saw someone trying desperately to find their illusory drop bars prior to entering a curve in order to trail-brake before hitting the apex.
Likes For badger1:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.