Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Market value for a Litespeed T6 105 Titanium bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Market value for a Litespeed T6 105 Titanium bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-19, 01:43 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Looks great 👍
Old 09-28-19, 09:40 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
You expressed concern regarding carbon however your fork is made from carbon and if it fails chances are the results would be catastrophic. Why concerns over a carbon frame but not the fork?

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 09-28-19 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-29-19, 10:21 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
You expressed concern regarding carbon however your fork is made from carbon and if it fails chances are the results would be catastrophic. Why concerns over a carbon frame but not the fork?
Replacing a Litespeed or third party carbon fork is pretty easy and a fraction of what it is to replace a carbon frame. I have nothing against carbon bikes just when the bike is made of 3/4th of unpainted Ti it's one less thing to worry about.

Not to get into an anti carbon rant but detecting delamination or cracks on carbon is very tricky since most bikes are painted. Even if it was raw carbon detecting this takes a skilled professional with ultrasonic devices. While I personally have never had carbon fail (I have owned 3 carbon bikes) through my research failure tends to occur on seat stays, top tubes, by the cranks head tube, seat post but very rarely have I seen the fork itself fail. When a carbon fork fails it's mostly do to human error either over tightening and delaminating/cracking it or if someone cut and slammed their fork and it became compromised, thus the steerer tube is the more common failure

The carbon is a wonder material and there is a reason why professionals and top athletes use it for their bikes however cosmetically it needs to be babied, transporting or maintenance you can't clamp it down, detecting damage is very hard, it's not the most crash worthy material, and while people love to say that carbon can be repaired a good repair shop will most likely require you to ship the bike and pay hundreds of dollars just for the repair not including paint work. I am not here to say carbon will automatically or randomly catastrophically fail on you by any means as long as the bike was properly assembled, ridden, and maintained but IMO I am mostly mitigating the headache of maintaining my frame like I would have to do with carbon

Last edited by Jrasero; 09-29-19 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-21-20, 08:40 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
A quick followup. I bought this bike in September and it was a joy to ride. I changed the tape to Cinelli Gel Cork and changed the saddle to a Selle Italia C2 Gel. Bike rides like a dream but my biggest complaint hands down is the lack of disc brakes. No matter how much I try to rationalize calipers being cheaper and lighter they simply don't hold a candle to hydraulics discs.

I have considered selling the bike to try and get a disc version of a Lynksey, Litespeed, or even Motobecane but logic and my wallet tells me I am perfectly OK with my current bike

Old 01-21-20, 12:53 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
A quick followup. I bought this bike in September and it was a joy to ride. I changed the tape to Cinelli Gel Cork and changed the saddle to a Selle Italia C2 Gel. Bike rides like a dream but my biggest complaint hands down is the lack of disc brakes. No matter how much I try to rationalize calipers being cheaper and lighter they simply don't hold a candle to hydraulics discs.

I have considered selling the bike to try and get a disc version of a Lynksey, Litespeed, or even Motobecane but logic and my wallet tells me I am perfectly OK with my current bike

They are not the same but they most certainly ‘hold a candle’
Drop the latest gear drama and enjoy the hell out of that great bike that you got at a great price