Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Anyone drinking Protein shakes/drinks?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 10-08-19, 06:31 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 321 Posts

if yes, what brands and why? or recipes

Have bought Lean Shake from GNC (about $2 a bottle), and Boost from the grocery store (about 1.70 a bottle and smaller), and they seem to give me a good energy bump

if no, why not?

thanks
Old 10-08-19, 08:00 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
I have a recovery drink after exercise that includes protein. I like Muscle Milk.
Old 10-08-19, 08:07 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I sometimes have chocolate milk. Otherwise I just eat something. Whatever I eat usually has protein and carbs in it.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 10-08-19, 08:49 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I'm on a high protein low carb regiment due to weight loss surgery. I start every day with a 30g protein shake from Premier Protein, I get from Sam's Club, 12 packs. About $1.40 each depending on the price that week. Several flavors available, including for a limited time, Pumpkin Spice (?!)... For only 160 calories, I get half my daily protein needs. The rest I get from regular foods. I do keep a few Premier Protein bars, as well as Quest branded bars as well. Another 20 or so grams protein when I don't have time for a full meal, or post ride recovery...
Old 10-08-19, 09:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
A friend recommended some protein drinks from Costco, so I got a box.

They tasted awful to me.

Chocolate milk FTW!
Old 10-08-19, 12:25 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I use whey protein isolate (grass fed) dissolved in plain water for the most part. I buy it by the 5 lb. container at a cost of 27g/$1 for the pure protein. Tastes pretty good - I like the chocolate flavor.

Oh - the brand is Muscle Feast.
Old 10-08-19, 04:43 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I use Kaizen Naturals unflavoured/unsweetened whey protein. I avoid any protein powders with artificial sweeteners or flavours...I use one scoop of whey blended with one cup of sweetened kefir or yogurt as my pre-workout drink, this gives me about 35-40 grams of sugar and 40 grams of protein, I don't use it as a post-workout drink anymore. After my workout I just eat a big meal high in protein and carbs. I also use it as part of my smoothie which I take to work with me.
Taking whey protein once or twice a day is more than enough, majority of your daily protein intake should come from real food. I am not against using protein powders, they can be useful in situations where eating food is impractical, but protein powders should never be a substitute for real food.
Old 10-08-19, 06:05 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've used Hammer Nutrition recovery drink after long rides, 60 miles for me. Orange/Vanilla which tasted good. The formula has been updated which I,ve not tried. I don't eat much meat so supplement with a protein shake for dessert, about 190 calories.
Old 10-08-19, 07:14 PM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I typically don't. I tried a bang keto coffee once. It wasn't too bad. The ingredient list seems pretty clean as compared to other energy drinks. It has 20 mg of whey protein and 300 mg of caffeine. If I was going to drink something one of these drinks, I think this would be on the list of possibilities.
Old 10-09-19, 12:10 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
if yes, what brands and why? or recipes

Have bought Lean Shake from GNC (about $2 a bottle), and Boost from the grocery store (about 1.70 a bottle and smaller), and they seem to give me a good energy bump

if no, why not?

thanks
The shakes themselves aren't cheap, as you mention. Protein powder is though. I have a tub of it gathering dust, haven't opened it for years. I was thinking when I finished it I'd reuse the plastic container as a bear canister, but for rodents. I need to get on that.

I don't really find this stuff enjoyable. Protein shakes and powders aren't yummy, and they don't make me feel wonderful - blunt my appetite for an hour or two, but in a moderately unpleasant way. Then my appetite comes back, and I've used 200-300 calories on a $2 drink I didn't enjoy.

The alternative is eating a balanced diet with enough protein and carbohydrates, and that tends to be more enjoyable in terms of how it tastes, how it makes me feel, and how it affects my performance.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 10-09-19, 12:41 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yup, pretty much every day for more than a year. I started last year after a swollen thyroid (cancer, removed with surgery) compressed and distorted my esophagus, making it difficult to swallow solid food and pills. I wasn't eating properly, lost a lot of weight, had no energy. I seemed to feel better so I kept making protein drinks.

Ready made drinks are too expensive, although during a long bike ride I'll stop at a convenience store for a Monster java drink which has protein and supplements. Tasty and good for an energy boost to finish a metric or standard century.

Usually I buy whatever protein powder is on sale. Muscle Milk and a couple other whey powders taste best but I tend to try a different brand every month. Lately it's been OWYN (Only What You Need) and Amazing Grass, the first legume/vegan protein powders I've tried that taste okay and have a fairly good texture. Most legume/vegan powders I've tried have the flavor and texture of dirt. OWYN may be the best buy because it includes all the amino acid supplements I take anyway.

Often I'll mix the protein powder in cold coffee from the day before. Tastes better to me, especially with all the bitter tasting supplements I add. Seems to offset the flavor.

I still have some difficulty swallowing, partly due to very minor nerve damage from the thyroid surgery and exacerbated by annual checkups that include esophageal endoscopies (including last week). I can swallow small pills but capsules get stuck in my throat, which can be panic inducing. So I open the gel caps and dissolve the solid capsules in the protein drinks.

On workout days I also add various other supplements -- DHEA, pregnenolone, magnesium lactate, l-arginine, ajuga turkest extract (supposedly a good source of ecdysterone), and kratom for chronic pain from the auto-immune disorder that killed my thyroid. That stuff all tastes kinda bitter and the protein powder covers it up. Seems to help. I'm stronger and faster than I was even the couple of years before the thyroid cancer. Of course that could also be due to persistence in physical therapy. I still tire more easily than I used to, but I'm older so there's that.

And my doctors say I have osteopenia and low Vitamin D, so I'm adding calcium and vitamin D to make them happy. But it doesn't seem to make any difference. Studies indicate we don't get much good from extra dietary calcium and vitamin D. Supposedly more sun exposure might help and I went this entire summer riding in short sleeves and shorts without sunscreen. No sunburns but no improvement in my bone density and vitamin D either. Dunno, might be related to the endocrine disorder.

If I have time and energy to cook at home I use protein supplements less often. Just depends on my schedule and energy.

I've noticed that my appetite is better during and after a ride if I start the day with the protein concoction I described. For years I'd work or exercise in the heat and it killed my appetite. But now I have a good appetite although my weight is only about 5 lbs over my optimal low body fat weight. I usually go with little or no food during rides from 20-100 miles, maybe just a Clif or Larabar and a couplafew gels. But I'm ravenous afterward and occasionally eat an entire large supreme pizza after a 40 mile or longer ride. That's a big change over years ago when I tended to have no appetite after hard work or exercise.
Old 10-09-19, 05:39 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Whey protein isolate is the best form of protein if cost is no object. It goes through an additional process to remove additional carbs so its virtually all (90+%) protein. Of course that's only important if carbs are an issue for you. Otherwise, the standard whey protein (80%) should be sufficient. I drink at least 2 shakes/day.

If you don't like any sugar/sweeteners or artificial flavors the unsweetened whey is great. The problem of course is that it smells like dead animal and taste ghastly.
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The shakes themselves aren't cheap, as you mention. Protein powder is though. I have a tub of it gathering dust, haven't opened it for years. I was thinking when I finished it I'd reuse the plastic container as a bear canister, but for rodents. I need to get on that.

I don't really find this stuff enjoyable. Protein shakes and powders aren't yummy, and they don't make me feel wonderful - blunt my appetite for an hour or two, but in a moderately unpleasant way. Then my appetite comes back, and I've used 200-300 calories on a $2 drink I didn't enjoy.
You're not doing it right. I blend mine with with fruit (bananas, strawberries, blueberries, peaches, apples, etc.) and are indistinguishable in taste from your standard milk shake.

The alternative is eating a balanced diet with enough protein and carbohydrates, and that tends to be more enjoyable in terms of how it tastes, how it makes me feel, and how it affects my performance.
It sounds so simple when you put it that way. The problem with that is seldom do we take the time to prepare those meals, and/or sit down and have all the balanced diet to meet our daily nutritional needs. That's why supplements exist -- to fill in for those missed/incomplete meal preparation opportunities.

Originally Posted by canklecat

On workout days I also add various other supplements -- DHEA, pregnenolone, magnesium lactate, l-arginine, ajuga turkest extract (supposedly a good source of ecdysterone), and kratom for chronic pain from the auto-immune disorder that killed my thyroid. That stuff all tastes kinda bitter and the protein powder covers it up. Seems to help. I'm stronger and faster than I was even the couple of years before the thyroid cancer. Of course that could also be due to persistence in physical therapy. I still tire more easily than I used to, but I'm older so there's that.
That resolve may apply when you're in your 80s. In the mean time, there are a variety of solutions proven to reverse the signs of aging.

And my doctors say I have osteopenia and low Vitamin D, so I'm adding calcium and vitamin D to make them happy. But it doesn't seem to make any difference. Studies indicate we don't get much good from extra dietary calcium and vitamin D. Supposedly more sun exposure might help and I went this entire summer riding in short sleeves and shorts without sunscreen. No sunburns but no improvement in my bone density and vitamin D either. Dunno, might be related to the endocrine disorder.
I can't speak to the studies, but it worked wonders for me. Improved my cognitive abilities noticeably, and relieved a modicum my lethargy. Although I did notice you said, extra.

If I have time and energy to cook at home I use protein supplements less often. Just depends on my schedule and energy.

I've noticed that my appetite is better during and after a ride if I start the day with the protein concoction I described. For years I'd work or exercise in the heat and it killed my appetite. But now I have a good appetite although my weight is only about 5 lbs over my optimal low body fat weight. I usually go with little or no food during rides from 20-100 miles, maybe just a Clif or Larabar and a couplafew gels. But I'm ravenous afterward and occasionally eat an entire large supreme pizza after a 40 mile or longer ride. That's a big change over years ago when I tended to have no appetite after hard work or exercise.
😱
Old 10-09-19, 06:30 AM
Flip Flop Rider

good comments

for home mixers, shaker cup or blender?
Old 10-09-19, 07:50 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
For those of us that have had weight loss surgery, a full diet isn't always possible, especially in the first year to three. I'm almost a year out, and down over 110 pounds since surgery. I struggle to get half my required nutrition in each day if I don't use supplements. Now adding more exrcise, and riding more, I'm struggling to find a good mix adding carbs since I have to avoid them otehrwise. Not an easy thing to do. Surgery was just a tool to get me where I CAN do the rest for myself. Another 40 pounds would be nice...

I use both, including a small emersion blender. Depends on the size of shake I'm doing and what I mix in. Add fruit or ice, use the blender... On the go, shaker bottle...
Old 10-09-19, 08:31 AM
Jewishcowboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the GNC Pure Isolate protein. About $65 for 70 servings. 25 grams per serving and it mixes really well with a shaker bottle
Old 10-09-19, 09:45 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Whey protein isolate is the best form of protein if cost is no object. It goes through an additional process to remove additional carbs so its virtually all (90+%) protein. Of course that's only important if carbs are an issue for you. Otherwise, the standard whey protein (80%) should be sufficient. I drink at least 2 shakes/day.

If you don't like any sugar/sweeteners or artificial flavors the unsweetened whey is great. The problem of course is that it smells like dead animal and taste ghastly.You're not doing it right. I blend mine with with fruit (bananas, strawberries, blueberries, peaches, apples, etc.) and are indistinguishable in taste from your standard milk shake.It sounds so simple when you put it that way. The problem with that is seldom do we take the time to prepare those meals, and/or sit down and have all the balanced diet to meet our daily nutritional needs. That's why supplements exist -- to fill in for those missed/incomplete meal preparation opportunities.

That resolve may apply when you're in your 80s. In the mean time, there are a variety of solutions proven to reverse the signs of aging.I can't speak to the studies, but it worked wonders for me. Improved my cognitive abilities noticeably, and relieved a modicum my lethargy. Although I did notice you said, extra. 😱
You don't have time to cook dinner but you have time to blend protein smoothies? I make smoothies sometimes, because I love raspberries, and smoothies satisfy iced cream cravings but are much healthier. It takes longer to clean my blender than it takes to cook dinner.
Old 10-09-19, 09:47 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by zjrog
For those of us that have had weight loss surgery, a full diet isn't always possible, especially in the first year to three. I'm almost a year out, and down over 110 pounds since surgery. I struggle to get half my required nutrition in each day if I don't use supplements. Now adding more exrcise, and riding more, I'm struggling to find a good mix adding carbs since I have to avoid them otehrwise. Not an easy thing to do. Surgery was just a tool to get me where I CAN do the rest for myself. Another 40 pounds would be nice...

I use both, including a small emersion blender. Depends on the size of shake I'm doing and what I mix in. Add fruit or ice, use the blender... On the go, shaker bottle...
Congratulations on your 110 pound weight loss!

I'm not saying you aren't allowed to drink protein shakes. The OP asked about them, and asked why people would not drink them. Nobody else answered that part of the question, so I did.
Old 10-09-19, 10:21 AM
Flip Flop Rider

yes, why do you use them or why not?

I've drank them sporadically. Not sure if they help so asking opinions!

for me they give an energy boost during or after a ride, but it may just be the sugar
Old 10-09-19, 10:29 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Homemade (by me). One scoop of a decent whey protein powder, avocado, sunflower seeds or almonds, whole-milk yogurt, a couple handfuls of blueberries, a couple strawberries, 1-2 fresh-squeezed limes, plus spinach/kale/chard (whichever I have on hand). Makes enough for ~350-450 calories or so. Enough fat, protein and carbs to energize, to start the rebuilding and repair process. Half makes a decent snack. A whole serving makes a small meal replacement.
Old 10-09-19, 10:58 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
yes, why do you use them or why not?

I've drank them sporadically. Not sure if they help so asking opinions!

for me they give an energy boost during or after a ride, but it may just be the sugar
1) For building muscle.
2) For preserving muscle.

Its really something you only need during regular anaerobic training -- or when you're trying to get stronger. During period when I'm not going to the gym regularly, I won't supplement protein.

If you're a pure straight and level cyclist, you could very well get all the protein you need just from whole food. Still, its a quick and easy way to replenish your stores especially when you're out or on the go.

Protein drinks are also as healthy as you can get when you want to satisfy your sweet tooth (in a meal); and are recommended when you're dealing with a muscle wasting condition such as after surgery for example.

I use mine when I'm under the weather from a virus and I can't hold down solid food, or just don't have any appetite (people tend to lose muscle when they're sick -- especially the flu).

You are right about the sugar for the boost though. But you really want to avoid using protein as an energy food if you can help it. Sure it will work, but its inefficient, and a very expensive way to fuel a workout. Its like using your home furniture as wood for your fireplace.
Old 10-09-19, 04:34 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
good comments

For my all-powder protein and supplements, I just use a stainless steel bottle with tight fitting sealed threaded cap. No mixer/blender doodads inside the bottle. I shake it for about a minute. Works fine.

For mixes with fresh or frozen fruit, etc., I use a Shark blender.
Old 10-09-19, 05:00 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL

1 ) For building muscle.
2) For preserving muscle.

Protein powder is not some magical substance which can build and preserve muscle. The only way to build and preserve muscle is through resistance training. If you don't use it you loose it, no matter how many protein shakes you drink per day... In order to preserve muscles, those nuscles need to be put under stress regularly.
Protein powder can help you meet your daily protein needs and help you build muscle only if it's used in conjunction with resistance training and if your daily diet is dialed in perfectly. Protein powder used alone is useless and no different than drinking plain water.....Also don't forget about carbs, they are absolutely essential if your goal is to build any significant amount of muscle.
Old 10-09-19, 07:50 PM
CyclingBK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Good old gnc gold standard. Think it’s like 24g protein and 120 calories. Mixes really well in a shake cup in water and tastes good. Like 65 bucks for over 70 servings.
Old 10-09-19, 08:45 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,441 Times in 1,739 Posts
At the end of a long ride away from home, I usually purchase one Odwalla Chocolate Protein.

It's available in most stores, so it's a decent choice for a recovery drink when ending my ride away from home. Better than waiting to drive home.

53g carbs, 32g protein, 8g fat, 450mg sodium.

Old 10-09-19, 11:21 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Protein powder is not some magical substance which can build and preserve muscle. The only way to build and preserve muscle is through resistance training. If you don't use it you loose it, no matter how many protein shakes you drink per day... In order to preserve muscles, those nuscles need to be put under stress regularly.
Protein powder can help you meet your daily protein needs and help you build muscle only if it's used in conjunction with resistance training and if your daily diet is dialed in perfectly. Protein powder used alone is useless and no different than drinking plain water.....Also don't forget about carbs, they are absolutely essential if your goal is to build any significant amount of muscle.
Every word of this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.