Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Santa Ana River Trail-Less safe now ?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Santa Ana River Trail-Less safe now ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 02:04 PM
chevrolegs

Bikes: Santa Cruz Bronson, Look 464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
14,000 needles; 700 people moved out of the SART.

The math: 14,000 divide by 700 = 20 per person. Rough average. Even if it were 500 people it would still be 28 per person.

The needle exchange program was the problem with the needles. Yes, if they're going to be using dope they should have clean needles... BUT the program would take one needle from the homeless and hand them 21. 20 + whatever was given to them.
Old 03-14-18, 02:59 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
A motel is not a home. What is a home?

For an old-looking, skinny white bearded dude down the street from the Costco, home seems to be a folding chair on the sidewalk in front of a lube and tune-- he appears to have the shady spots at various times of the day across all the seasons pretty well scoped out...
Old 03-21-18, 05:48 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
It's been about a month since they moved out the homeless into motels, wondering how many remain in the motels? I imagine most are going to other areas to set up 'camp'.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/02/2...raining-order/

Scores of homeless people lined up in the cold Tuesday morning on the northern end of Orange County’s populous riverbed tent city, hoping to get a voucher that would allow them to live free-of-charge in a local motel for the next month.
Old 03-21-18, 06:25 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Has the SART reached national media attention status?

I wonder how many You Tube visits the SART has accumulated.
Old 03-21-18, 10:35 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
It's been about a month since they moved out the homeless into motels, wondering how many remain in the motels? I imagine most are going to other areas to set up 'camp'.
Actually the county now has the bright idea to set up camps for them. They voted on Monday to set up camps (literally) in Irvine, Huntington Beach and Laguna Niguel. Irvine had an emergency council meeting last night and voted to sue the county. This area is in the old USMCAS El Toro, aka the Great Park, where Five Points is building thousands of million dollar homes. This is going to work out well.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/03/1...laguna-niguel/
Old 03-21-18, 11:29 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
The other evening I was listening to the radio as I fell asleep. Before I succumbed to the sandman I heard a report about this situation and there was a homeless advocate stating that the hotel vouchers were about to expire and that the majority of the people who were being offered temporary residence at local shelters did not want to go to those shelters when their vouchers ran out.

I understand, or at least acknowledge their hesitation to move into a shelter due to a variety of reasons. The complaints I hear the most are that they cannot take their pets and/or there is no accommodations for their possessions. What I don't understand is... if given the choice between a shelter or living outdoors, they appear favor the outdoors. I'm sorry but this does not make any sense to me. If you are truly trying to improve your life, wouldn't it make sense to be somewhere that showers and meals are provided?

This only goes to reinforce my belief that a large majority of these people do not want help. They have chosen this lifestyle and have no intention in changing no matter what help is offered. These encampments and the crime they shield will always be with us. The only sensible solution is to keep breaking up the encampments and let the residents know they are not welcome.
Old 03-21-18, 11:49 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Well, there goes the May strawberry crop in Irvine.
What ever drug are they taking to make them not care about bathing or living inside,....could it cure some of my OCD about being too clean?
And where will they get their drugs now... will their dealers deliver?

Last edited by trailangel; 03-21-18 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-21-18, 02:07 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Yeah the OC Register article quotes someone from the county saying that they have enough beds but the homeless don't want them. Isn't that special? What every happened to "beggars can't be choosers"?

If we are going to spend tax money on what they "want" for housing, then sign me up for a county-funded home on the bay in Newport Beach with a 60' dock!
Old 03-27-18, 12:38 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
So let's get back to basics - is SART open again or not? I need to go through there on Sunday but if it's not open, I'll take the longer SGRT/PCH route to get from my house to granny's house.
Old 03-27-18, 02:33 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
So let's get back to basics - is SART open again or not? I need to go through there on Sunday but if it's not open, I'll take the longer SGRT/PCH route to get from my house to granny's house.
Rode it from Hamilton to GG Blvd last Sun (3/25) still CLOSED between Ball/Taft & GG Blvd/Memory Lane.
West
Old 03-28-18, 01:13 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by 2seven0
Rode it from Hamilton to GG Blvd last Sun (3/25) still CLOSED between Ball/Taft & GG Blvd/Memory Lane.
West
Thanks.
Old 03-28-18, 06:49 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
So let's get back to basics - is SART open again or not?
Rode down to Ball/Taft on Friday 3/23 and it is indeed closed there. No police, but they have a makeshift barrier and signs that warn the trail is closed.

What I would be interested to know is what they are actually doing while it is closed. I know what they said they would do, but often there is a difference between what is said and what is done.

Heading south, you could exit the trail at Ball/Taft and take Main down to Santa Clara, but I have not ridden that stretch personally. I've only used Santa Clara on both sides of Main and it's rideable with not a lot of cars.
Old 03-28-18, 07:02 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
We took a chance and rode it today. It's pretty quiet, there is not even a dozen workers for the whole distance. Most of the exits were open but not near the pond where you cross over. We
had to climb over the bridge and lift the bikes about 5 feet. They had all the bad areas fenced off with a way around them so it is beyond me why they continue this charade.
Old 03-30-18, 07:13 AM
JMH714

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead
Heading south, you could exit the trail at Ball/Taft and take Main down to Santa Clara, but I have not ridden that stretch personally. I've only used Santa Clara on both sides of Main and it's rideable with not a lot of cars.
I live in Edgewood street area - Santa Clara is not on both sides of Main St. Just Edgewood and Santa Clara that connected to Main Street.

I wouldn't recommend riding bike south of Main St. from Ball - too many crazy drivers near Main Place and freeway. You could take Batavia till La Veta then turn left and right on Parker St. that will lead you to Santiago Creek MUP (or continue riding to Main St. on Memory Lane) and get out at Main Street (turn left) and across the freeway to Santa Clara St..
Old 03-30-18, 11:16 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

It is pretty annoying how few bike-able roads there are in that particular area and it's also annoying that nobody appears to have considered a detour when closing off such a large swath of SART.
Old 03-30-18, 06:57 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
The Sheriff caught us again today after climbing over the bridge. He said he heard that the trail would open on the April 6. We pleaded our case and I promised that I could wait until then and he let us ride on. I would always wave to those guys and give them a thumbs up. I felt a lot safer when they were actively patrolling.
Old 03-30-18, 09:58 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JMH714
I live in Edgewood street area - Santa Clara is not on both sides of Main St. Just Edgewood and Santa Clara that connected to Main Street.
The route I have used:

Old 04-05-18, 02:09 PM
Mitzey

Bikes: Schwinn Phocus 1400

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it still closed at Taft? I wanna take this route to work again
Old 04-05-18, 02:25 PM
Chukbacca

Bikes: 1988 Univega Alpina Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
I'm sure most of you saw this article from months ago...
A half-loaded gun, a well-built bunker and 1,000 hidden bikes found along Santa Ana River
https://www.ocregister.com/2017/11/1...homeless-camp/

I'm a little curious, what happened to all the bikes? Has anyone who had a bike stolen heard about their bike being found? I'm rather curious what auction outlet they'll be using to unload that many bikes, or if they'll all just end up in the landfill.
Old 04-05-18, 04:43 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by Mitzey
Is it still closed at Taft? I wanna take this route to work again
I heard a rumor that it's supposed to reopen tomorrow. I don't really know for sure though. I assume you're going south from Ball, it's open to the north.
Old 04-06-18, 12:25 PM
Mitzey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I heard a rumor that it's supposed to reopen tomorrow. I don't really know for sure though. I assume you're going south from Ball, it's open to the north.
Yeah I usually get on by the Angel Stadium and take it up to N Tustin Ave where I work
Old 04-06-18, 07:22 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Open for riding again.
Old 04-06-18, 08:54 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Well, I think I know where my Sunday ride is going to be now.
Old 04-09-18, 07:30 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Wife & I rode it Sunday morning from Lincoln to PCH. It's open now but several areas are still fenced off & you are diverted to the adjacent service/walking roads which are paved. Not a hassle at all. Don't know when it will fully open to the original paths but for those who want to ride that section it's back open. So nice to see a nice clean trail again.

West
Old 04-09-18, 10:00 AM
Mitzey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I rode it to work today from Orangewood(Angel Stadium) up to N Tustin Ave. The first gate seems to always be closed though, so have to hop over the wall and cross the road to the second entrance unfortunately. Bit sketchy since the Police are training down there. But it says it's meant to be open at 7am, but it was 7:25am and was still locked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.