Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Camera recommendations?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Camera recommendations?

Old 10-14-19, 10:49 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Camera recommendations?

I've gotten used to using my cell phone for quick pics during rides, but the quality leaves a lot to be desired. I have some DSLRs, but they are too heavy/bulky for practical use. Any recommendations for a digital point-n-shoot that provides good images? What are some of you folks using?
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Last edited by horatio; 10-14-19 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-14-19, 11:05 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Nikon has a line of modest flat pocket cameras w zoom lenses - Maybe look at some preowned Coolpix units on eBay or Amazon? For example s9100
Old 10-14-19, 12:40 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Camera phones are pretty amazing these days. I hardly ever carry a camera any more, but my favorite is a Panasonic DMC-ZS25. Its cigarette pack sized, with a 20X optical zoom, Leica lens, and easy to "one hand" with simple controls and a hand strap. This one is a few years old, not sure what the current equivalent is. With most folks going to phone cameras, the usual places should be full of deals on lightly used small digital cameras. This is my second one of these. One got killed from being waterlogged on a ride, where my Samsung Galaxy S5 has been drenched, dropped and generally abused on many rides, and still takes great pictures. The only downside to phone cams is the lack of a lanyard, limited zoom quality, and it's a little fiddly to one hand while riding. One other thing, this Panasonic lacks WiFi, which makes downloads and posting more difficult, where with most phone cameras, WiFi and Bluetooth is a fact of life. If you're not happy with your phone shots, I would look for a better phone. 😎

Panasonic DMC-ZS25, great little camera, also shoots full HD video.

Galaxy S5 phone pic.

Another S5 phone pic.

Panasonic camera shot.

A Panasonic camera shot, from the bike.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 10-14-19 at 01:08 PM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 10-14-19, 01:14 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I use an Olympus TG-5. It's a little heavy, but I can just keep it in a jersey pocket and not worry about it which is nice.
Likes For kingston:
Old 10-14-19, 01:20 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
not worth the bother unless for work or special occasions. the quality bump isn't really noticed until you get to at least a micro 4/3 size sensor and decent glass.

but then at that point you are carrying a camera that is no longer pocketable. worst part is most of these cameras are far behind tech wise, especially when it comes to video. you have to pay a hefty $$$ and size penalty to get anything that records 4k 60fps for example. something my iPhone does without any issue.
Old 10-14-19, 03:26 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Originally Posted by REDMASTA
not worth the bother unless for work or special occasions. the quality bump isn't really noticed until you get to at least a micro 4/3 size sensor and decent glass.

but then at that point you are carrying a camera that is no longer pocketable. worst part is most of these cameras are far behind tech wise, especially when it comes to video. you have to pay a hefty $$$ and size penalty to get anything that records 4k 60fps for example. something my iPhone does without any issue.
My old Galaxy S3 took decent photos, but it was lost a few years back. Got a Samsung JV-something that's not nearly as good. I may upgrade to a newer iPhone. Which iPhone are you currently using?
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 10-14-19, 03:33 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I carry a camera because it's a lot easier to use one-handed while riding, not because it takes better pictures.
Likes For kingston:
Old 10-14-19, 03:50 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
My old Galaxy S3 took decent photos, but it was lost a few years back. Got a Samsung JV-something that's not nearly as good. I may upgrade to a newer iPhone. Which iPhone are you currently using?
iPhone 10s.
Old 10-14-19, 04:07 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I have the 10r, and I'm really happy with the camera. One of the things I like is how it can keep both clouds and foreground at the right exposure. File size is 5.5 mb per photo, so there's plenty of data / detail in the shots.

Got the IOS update over the weekend that allows you to use black backgrounds, loving that too.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-14-19, 04:21 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I use an Olympus TG-5. It's a little heavy, but I can just keep it in a jersey pocket and not worry about it which is nice.
Echo this. I have a TG - 4 and use it for bike trips and diving (to 50'). Shoots super macro and slow motion video. JPEG or RAW for better post processing Very happy with it.

When it packs it in I'll go TG-5.

Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 10-14-19, 08:09 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I carry a camera because it's a lot easier to use one-handed while riding, not because it takes better pictures.
That's really my issue too. I can't log in the pass code and then properly focus with one hand. Plus I carry my phone in a little pouch, which just adds to the hassle.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-14-19, 08:38 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Stick to the GoPro style action cameras. When riding a bike they cannot be beat. The only choice you have after that is which brand you trust the most to give you the quality footage and features you want.

GoPro is the signature action camera so you can't go wrong there. They are also voice activated. However, they're also the most expensive and may be more camera than you want or have any need for.

The best thing about these style of camera is they give you the most versatile and stable mounting hardware available. I can literally mount mine securely from head to toe.
Old 10-15-19, 01:52 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
The Panasonic Lumix is indeed a brilliant little camera. I have a Canon Powershot S95 which also takes amazing photos, though I don't carry it on my daily commute as a rule. If you want something even smaller the Canon Ixus series are also very good. It's a shame they've discontinued the Powershot S series again. It's true that modern phone cameras are pretty amazing but I still don't think they're anywhere near as good or as versatile as a dedicated camera with a zoom lens. I took a photo of the sunrise the other day on my Galaxy S8. The result was a very nice photo but the colour was decidedly off. I know I can fix that in post-processing but with my S95 or my DSLR that wouldn't have been needed.

Originally Posted by Nachoman
That's really my issue too. I can't log in the pass code and then properly focus with one hand. Plus I carry my phone in a little pouch, which just adds to the hassle.
You know with Android phones (and I presume iPhones have something similar) you don't have to log in to take photos - you just swipe up from the bottom right corner?
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 10-15-19, 03:05 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Olympus Tough Cams. Not the best at anything, but the best overall package for hard use conditions like cycling, hiking, camping, etc. I have all kinds of compact and midsize digicams, including some excellent Nikons and Ricohs. But for bike rides if I take anything besides my phone, it's an Olympus Tough Cam.

I despise phone ergonomics and won't use my phones while riding. Drives me nuts when other cyclists juggle their phones, dropping them and endangering everyone around. But I will use a compact digicam while riding -- with a neck or wrist strap. I literally point and shoot, no looking at the rear screen. I've done it for so many years with various cameras I usually need only minor edits to straighten the framing.

Mine is an early model low end Tough Cam, JPEG only, so it's strictly snapshots. Good in camera selections. Better than my phone JPEGs, but no room for editing to improve low light noise, etc. Eventually I'll get a higher end Tough Cam with raw files.

To get better image quality, go for a Sony 1-inch sensor digicam, or older Nikon CX format like the J-series or V-series. But the Sony is more compact with better image quality in a mid-size sensor.

In a DX or crop sensor I'd go for a Ricoh or Fuji. But those are pricey and relatively delicate for bike cameras in a jersey pocket.

And if you're interesting in video, don't waste time and money on cheaper or more expensive cameras: Get a Drift Ghost X for a 1080p camera costing less than $100; or Drift Ghost 4K if your computer can handle the editing burden.

The Ghost X includes a 5-hour battery pack, streamlined and reasonably weather resistant (mine withstands moderate rain without a protective shell), easy to operate, pretty good phone app to check videos on the fly. And there's an optional 8 hour battery pack for only $25-$30. Can't beat it for only $80. I've used it every ride for a couple of months, not a single hitch that wasn't my fault (forgetting to turn it on, or not listening for the confirmation chirp).
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-15-19, 04:37 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
The new Iphones use facial recognition to unlock, which would allow one hand use.

What gets me is that before putting it back into my jersey pocket, I often look at my phone (to make sure it's locked) which unlocks it just before I put it away, and when I take it out again, discover all that bouncing around has opened 14 programs and placed several international phone calls, and my battery is now dead.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-15-19, 08:46 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 74 Posts
Back in July, I received a gift of a Fujifilm Finepix XP 140. Waterproof and shock proof if you drop it. Perfect size and easy to handle while riding.
Old 10-15-19, 08:56 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
If you want a great phone camera, check out the OnePlus
Old 10-15-19, 09:15 AM
DC Bike Blogger
DC Bike Blogger

Bikes: https://dcbikeblogger.wordpress.com/my-bikes/

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
I'd recommend first identifying specifically where your cellphone camera is coming up short. For me, it was the ability to zoom in on things that were too far away to capture well on my phone. So I looked for that when I was looking for something else to take along on the bike. I ended up buying a Nikon camera through eBay that was being sold by the Salvation Army. And it has served me well. And since I paid only $20 for it, if it breaks I can afford to replace it.
Old 10-15-19, 11:38 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
I carried a Canon PowerShot S90 on my bike for years, storing it in a case on my handlebars. With one hand, I could pull it out out of the case, take a shot, and put it back in the case. Very fast to focus, with optical image stabilization, a real wide angle, and 3.8x optical zoom.

Canon PowerShot S90 f/4.0, 10.7 mm, 1/200, ISO 160

Canon PowerShot S90, ISO 125, 6mm, f/5.6 1/500

Canon PowerSot S90, ISO 80, 12.85mm f/4.5, 1/500

Old 10-15-19, 11:43 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
The new Iphones use facial recognition to unlock, which would allow one hand use.
There's also a shortcut that opens the Camera app from the lock screen. Just swipe left.

Old 10-15-19, 03:22 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
I use a cheap point and shoot on my rides. Nikon Cool Pix I found for $80. Better handling than a cell phone while taking pics on the fly and the images are actually very nice.
Old 10-15-19, 03:27 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Originally Posted by terrymorse
I carried a Canon PowerShot S90 on my bike for years, storing it in a case on my handlebars. With one hand, I could pull it out out of the case, take a shot, and put it back in the case. Very fast to focus, with optical image stabilization, a real wide angle, and 3.8x optical zoom.
This is what I had in mind, to use a handlebar bag to carry said camera, not stow it in a jersey pocket. The S90 or S95 is a possibility. There's also a Sony with a Zeiss lens and 1" sensor I'm considering. Can't recall the model off the top of my head. CRS, you know. I'm more interested in stills rather than video at present.

Old 10-15-19, 03:31 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Depending on what kind of pictures you want and how you will use them, you might want to consider Sony's a6000 series cameras.
My wife and I both use the Sony a6000, and also have one more as a backup. It will easily do everything my DSLR will do, and even do some things better.

Pluses:
  • Compact, mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses. It will fit easily in my bar bag;
  • Has a large 24 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor that can produce high resolution (6000 x 4000 pixel) poster size photos;
  • Has an electronic eye level viewfinder, as well as a rear screen. This is the primary reason my wife and I use these cameras;
  • Wide range of excellent lenses are available;
  • Durable, I have shot over 50,000 photos with my a6000; and
  • The reason I did this is the camera will shoot at a rate of 11 frames per second which is great for sports and other fast action activities.
Minuses:
  • It is hard on batteries, depending on what we are shooting, we will each carry up to 3 batteries.
This is a full frame right out of the camera picture of a portion of the Berlin Wall.

An enlargement of the young women. Individual strands of hair are still visible.

This panned photo of my wife was shot using an a6000 at 1/40 second exposure, 11 fps, and the great auto focusing features of the camera.

Last edited by Doug64; 10-15-19 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-15-19, 03:45 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Echo this. I have a TG - 4 and use it for bike trips and diving (to 50'). Shoots super macro and slow motion video. JPEG or RAW for better post processing Very happy with it.

When it packs it in I'll go TG-5

Dale, this shot is amazing!
Old 10-15-19, 03:50 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

This is what I had in mind, to use a handlebar bag to carry said camera, not stow it in a jersey pocket.
I mounted a Lowepro Rezo 15 case to hold a Canon PowerShot S90. Lowepro makes several sizes that hold point-and-shoot cameras.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.