mwandaw
Half Fast

Bikes: A road bike and a tandem road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Manhattan Beach to Disneyland

A regular contributor to the Tandem Forum is riding his TRIPLET from the Bay Area to Disneyland. You can read about the adventure in his Disneyland or Bust post.

As he and his girls near the end of their trip, they need a route from the Manhattan Beach coast to the Californian at Disneyland. I have put together a route on RideWithGPS.com, and you can see it at https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1815645

I am confident about the route along the Manhattan Beach coast bike path. I am also confident about the route from about mile 20 and on, because I have ridden along those streets.

Unfortunately, I am not confident about miles 8-20, because I have never ridden there, and I know nothing about 223rd St in particular.

Any suggestions about the route, especially in the area of miles 8-20 would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-16-12, 10:12 PM
pmc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't read his post but when are they doing this part? Are they looking for people to ride with?

I haven't ridden it but how about turning right at mile 4 onto Camino Real and staying on one street all the way to Disneyland?
Old 10-17-12, 12:07 AM
spinerguy

Bikes: Litespeed Teramo, Argon 18 Road, Fuji Mt Fuji Pro MTB, Fuji Track Pro FG, & Cannondale Quick CX Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure about east of 605 but from there it's a lot safer to go a little further South (from El Dorado Park) until you connect with Lampson St. Go east on Lampson.
Right (north) on Bookhurst then left (east) on Orangewood, finaly north on Harbor for few blocks and you are there.

These are residential streets with low traffic and nice, wide bike lanes almost all the way.
Old 10-17-12, 11:02 AM
peckma

Bikes: 2013 BMC GRAN FONDO GF01, 2010 SPECIALIZED ROUBAIX, 2004 TREK FX7000, 2013 SPECIALIZED ALLEZ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there's some sketchy areas along that route going west to east. but it seems to be a direct route. I've ridden 223d Street west to east without problem. But the areas north of Long Beach proper can be a bit sketchy and busy.

Consider having them go south on the LA River trail. to Long Beach/Shoreline trail, over to San Gabriel River trail, then exit at Ball or Cerritos to the Resort. It's a scenic ride along the port and the ocean - with the advantage of some restrooms and restaurants if needed. Plus no cars on LART, Shoreline or SGRT.
Old 10-17-12, 11:15 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
223rd gets pretty scary there at Alameda, which is where the exit from the 405 s/b to Alameda is. Trust me when I tell you there's a lot of truck traffic there! The street itself is also pretty narrow there. I'd recommend Del Amo, although that, too, has its hinky stretches, especially around the Metro station/710 to the LART. There's a stretch east of Atlantic that can also be kinda creepy until you get closer to Lakewood Bl. Both 223rd and Del Amo are heavily industrial in stretches, particularly west of 710, with a lot of truck traffic during the week.
Old 10-18-12, 12:34 AM
Angio Graham
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there have been more than a few shootings in the last few months in the east torrance/carson area.
Old 10-18-12, 08:52 AM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Angio Graham
there have been more than a few shootings in the last few months in the east torrance/carson area.
Apparently not very close to where I work on the Carson/Gardena/Torrance/LA City borders.
Old 10-18-12, 11:08 AM
Angio Graham
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Condorita
Apparently not very close to where I work on the Carson/Gardena/Torrance/LA City borders.
I dont know where you work but I have been to about 9 shooting scenes in Torrance, Gardena, Carson in the last month.
Old 10-19-12, 09:03 AM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Angio Graham
I dont know where you work but I have been to about 9 shooting scenes in Torrance, Gardena, Carson in the last month.
North of the 405, east of the 110, west of Figueroa, south of Griffith.