Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 12:55 PM
cderalow

Bikes: 2012 GT Transeo 3 2014 Cannondale CAAD 10 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd taken to carrying a Lezyne Caddy Sack small on my shorter (50 miles or less) rides with a flat kit

That goes in center pocket with a blackburn airstick SL, nutrition in right jersey pocket. wallet/phone in left.

no saddle bag.

upcoming supported century in Vegas has me running a small saddle bag with the above and an additional tube and multi-tool wedged into it.

will likely run nutrition right side, 3rd bottle center pocket (supposed to be 82°) with phone/wallet/first aid kit in left pocket.

Should hopefully work.
Old 03-26-15, 07:56 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
I currently have an arundel dual for each bike, each loaded with all the goodies. It'd just be nice to go bagless and carry everything together.

I'm not sure I'd want to buy three of those for each bike though, since they're $70 each.
I don't carry 3 but I have two because one is on my touring bike which has a slightly different mix of stuff then the one I carry on my main road bike, if I ride one of my other road bikes I simply transfer the bag from my main road bike to the other, takes about 1 to 2 minutes to do, beats spending $70 or more for another bag with stuff in it. I happen to like the Topeak Aero Wedge, very durable compared to my last bag, no water has ever made it's way to the contents, and holds a lot of stuff. But bags like the gear in it is personal trial and error type of thing to find what you want in a bag.

Pump wise all my bikes have their own pump just because it worked out that way with sales, and wanting to try different pumps to see how well they worked, and the touring bike with it's larger volume tires needed a faster pump so that one has the Topeak Road Morph G, the others just use various mini pumps a Topeak RaceRocket HP, 2 different Lezynes a Road Drive and a Pressure Drive, a SKS Wese Carbon, and a Specialized Airtool Road Flex. When I go touring I do throw the SKS pump into a pannier just in case the main pump breaks. Which is the best? I like them all but the SKS is the least capable as far as getting to higher PSI, but so far none have broke so no weaknesses have come to the surface yet, the lightest is the Specialized if that matters. I would no longer recommend the SKS line of mini pumps, the Wese carbon was the last of the good ones, all the new ones they sell are simply awful pumps, built poorly and can't pump to higher psi's that road bikes need without a great deal of effort and even then fail to deliver.
Old 03-26-15, 09:30 PM
bubbajoelouie

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 4.3, Trek 7.4 FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sprintech Adjustable Review Mirrors For Racing Cycle. I like that the mirrors fit into the bar ends without being too obvious. I don't care if they look dorky, I want to be able to see what's behind me without turning my head away from oncoming traffic.

Attached Images
Old 03-27-15, 06:38 AM
Gus90

Bikes: A few too many

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those are nice mirrors. I sometime use one on my left. It stays in place compared to another model I tried that wasn't as well made.
Old 03-27-15, 07:21 AM
The Pusher Man

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcphx
... The weather has been nice and I'm using a case that goes in one of my bottle cages. Have you tried that?
To each his own, personally I think that would look a little tacky, why don't you spring for a small bar bag, just say'in.
Old 03-27-15, 07:57 AM
The Pusher Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
... the lightest is the Specialized if that matters. I would no longer recommend the SKS line of mini pumps, the Wese carbon was the last of the good ones, all the new ones they sell are simply awful pumps, built poorly and can't pump to higher psi's that road bikes need without a great deal of effort and even then fail to deliver.
If you are willing to pay, you can get a small ultra-light and well made pump. After looking at several that fit that criteria I went with the iPump Micro. Fits in my seat bag at 5.5" long, weighs 21g, very well built/robust and can get you to any pressure you want. I'm 60 @ 170lbs and can get it to 100 psi in about 5 minutes. Sure it's work, that's the trade-off with a small pump. If you want speed, small and light then the CO2 cartridge is your answer - just my 2 cents.
Old 03-27-15, 08:04 AM
bmcphx
Banned.

Bikes: Black Incs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Pusher Man
To each his own, personally I think that would look a little tacky, why don't you spring for a small bar bag, just say'in.
Because then I'd be adding things to the bike. A half bottle with a cap in the bottle cage only looks, uh, normal.
Old 03-27-15, 08:11 AM
Bunyanderman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gus90
replacing the Zipp VS I damaged, expensive mistake.

What did you do, and how damaged were they?
Old 03-27-15, 08:20 AM
The Pusher Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because then I'd be adding things to the bike. A half bottle with a cap in the bottle cage only looks, uh, normal.
I would like to see a pic of how that looks, what you said was "I'm using a case that goes in one of my bottle cages".
Old 03-27-15, 08:28 AM
bmcphx
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to see a pic of how that looks, what you said was "I'm using a case that goes in one of my bottle cages".
I just took this for you since I'm sitting around at coffee.

Old 03-27-15, 08:57 AM
SpeshulEd 

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I don't carry 3 but I have two because one is on my touring bike which has a slightly different mix of stuff then the one I carry on my main road bike, if I ride one of my other road bikes I simply transfer the bag from my main road bike to the other, takes about 1 to 2 minutes to do, beats spending $70 or more for another bag with stuff in it. I happen to like the Topeak Aero Wedge, very durable compared to my last bag, no water has ever made it's way to the contents, and holds a lot of stuff. But bags like the gear in it is personal trial and error type of thing to find what you want in a bag.

Pump wise all my bikes have their own pump just because it worked out that way with sales, and wanting to try different pumps to see how well they worked, and the touring bike with it's larger volume tires needed a faster pump so that one has the Topeak Road Morph G, the others just use various mini pumps a Topeak RaceRocket HP, 2 different Lezynes a Road Drive and a Pressure Drive, a SKS Wese Carbon, and a Specialized Airtool Road Flex. When I go touring I do throw the SKS pump into a pannier just in case the main pump breaks. Which is the best? I like them all but the SKS is the least capable as far as getting to higher PSI, but so far none have broke so no weaknesses have come to the surface yet, the lightest is the Specialized if that matters. I would no longer recommend the SKS line of mini pumps, the Wese carbon was the last of the good ones, all the new ones they sell are simply awful pumps, built poorly and can't pump to higher psi's that road bikes need without a great deal of effort and even then fail to deliver.
I'm good on bags. I have three different ones as I have different wheels on each bike.

My fixed gear has normal style wheels, so that bag gets a tube with a shorter stem.
My weekend road bike has deeper carbon style wheels, so it gets light tubes with a longer stem.
My commuter road bike has gatorskins and deeper carbon wheels, so it gets heavier tubes with a longer stem.

Each bag also has a multi tool, two tire levers, a patch kit, two co2 cannisters and an air chuck. I do not carry a pump.

In my jersey pockets go keys on the left, cell, cash, credit, id in the center, asthma inhaler on the right. Food gets dispersed as necessary when necessary.

The point of buying the bag would be to not have a saddle bag so the bike looks cleaner. The question is...is sweaty back worth it for a more cleaner aesthetic of the bike? I'm already carrying a pile of stuff in my center jersey pocket though, so the bag could clean that up as well.

Old 03-27-15, 10:05 AM
The Pusher Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just took this for you since I'm sitting around at coffee.

So your "case in a bottle cage" is actually something like a 12 oz can with the top removed and replaced with a cap? Just trying to understand what I'm looking at.
Old 03-27-15, 11:10 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
If you are willing to pay, you can get a small ultra-light and well made pump. After looking at several that fit that criteria I went with the iPump Micro. Fits in my seat bag at 5.5" long, weighs 21g, very well built/robust and can get you to any pressure you want. I'm 60 @ 170lbs and can get it to 100 psi in about 5 minutes. Sure it's work, that's the trade-off with a small pump. If you want speed, small and light then the CO2 cartridge is your answer - just my 2 cents.
I watched several videos and I didn't see anything special about the IPump Micro. In one video a person pumps 200 times and got a tire to 69 psi and then they stop the video? wait, what about 100psi? they didn't show that but the guy pumping said he was very tired after just getting it to 69, you can't even ride a bike at 69 without the big possibility of snakebite unless it's a 28 size tire. Neither the Lezyne nor the Topeak pumps I have make me very tired after even 100 psi. Here is how many pumps it takes: it takes about 110 pumps to get to 100 for the Lezyne and about 175 for the Topeak; the Specialized takes more at about 350 pumps but it's also the smallest; the SKS takes about 500 pumps! Yes, I did count those strokes whenever I used one to get an idea as too many pumps it would take for each in case I ever got asked the question. The Lezyne Road Drive by the way comes in 3 sizes, small, medium, and large, I got the large so the count is based on that, if you get one of the smaller ones it will take more pumps and more effort. The tire size I was using when I did those counts was a 700 X 23, obviously a 25 will take more pumps but it will be easier since you don't have to put as much pressure in a 25 as you do with a 23.

You can't buy into some hype about micro pumps and expect what they say is for real, it's an obvious thing of physics, the shorter the pump the more pumps it will require to put air into a tube, the pump chamber will only hold so much air and only that amount will go in with each stroke, and since you don't have a lot of space to slide that pump the amount of effort (muscle) increases dramatically as the psi increases vs a longer pump, this is why floor pumps work so effortlessly and in just a couple of dozen pumps, and why full size frame pumps work really good, or why the Topeak Road Morph (which takes about 90 strokes) works really great too because you use it like a floor pump so you're standing above it pushing down...so it's true, size is everything.
Old 03-27-15, 11:13 AM
SpeshulEd 

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
So your "case in a bottle cage" is actually something like a 12 oz can with the top removed and replaced with a cap? Just trying to understand what I'm looking at.
These things are pretty common actually.

https://www.amazon.com/XLAB-1972-Mini...C3B7YTFN23WJ7K

https://www.amazon.com/Tacx-Tool-Tube.../dp/B002SR0JRM

https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Super-Ho...C3B7YTFN23WJ7K

Old 03-27-15, 12:42 PM
The Pusher Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, a tool pod, tool tube or tool holder - thanks for the links. Don't know if what bmcphx uses is a product he bought or something made - but doesn't matter. If I want one now I know where to look.

rekmeyata, I bought the hype and glad I did. Like I said I can get 100 psi out of it and it does take some work. Biking is work, that's kind of the idea for me, get a scenic workout. Your video search must have missed this one -

Certainly the iPump Micro is not for everyone, but it does work as advertised and no better pump option that I know of that will fit in a 5" seat bag if you place it diagonally.
Old 03-27-15, 12:47 PM
bmcphx
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakedatc
what happens when you ride long enough to want 2 water bottles?
If I'm ever going to be more than about 75 minutes without a place to refill bottles, then I take a second bottle, and I put my stuff in my pockets. It's pretty simple, I think you guys are overthinking all of this.

Even on the Saturday hammerfest I don't go more than an hour without being able to get water.
Old 03-27-15, 01:07 PM
bmcphx
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can do what you want and I'll do what I want.

I don't really care if a "pro" or anyone else has a saddle bag, I don't like them. If you do, then great.
Old 03-27-15, 01:37 PM
Gus90

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bunyanderman
What did you do, and how damaged were they?
I scored the right side near the stem trying to fit a new K-Edge XL Garmin/GoPro combo mount. Kind of looked like I took a pipe cutter around it.

I thought it would fit since my original K-Edge Gramin Mount did (sort of) without doing any damage to the carbon. The new mount; however, was just off enough to gouge the carbon pretty deeply by the time I tightened it up enough so it wouldn't wobble. The scoring or gouges were deep enough that I just don't think it's safe and wouldn't want to risk it while riding. Doing some tap tests around the spot did seem to indicate a bit of a dead spot on that side versus the other. The gouge was probably 1mm half way around the bar at the top and maybe just a little deeper on the front and back portion. To remove the top portion of the mount, I actually had to tap it a few times because it dug into the carbon.

Expensive mistake but better safe than in the emergency room. The new version of the Vuka Sprint, this SL-70, has a wider center portion to accommodate out front mounts. That VS was about three years old.

Last edited by Gus90; 03-27-15 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-27-15, 01:47 PM
bmcphx
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakedatc
Ok, you were wondering why people thought it was odd. Because it is not the norm.
Seems like a pretty evenly split thing around here, referring to saddle bags vs no saddle bags.

Whatever though, this conversation is the most asinine one I've had yet in this thread.
Old 03-27-15, 01:53 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
you can do what you want and i'll do what i want.

I don't really care if a "pro" or anyone else has a saddle bag, i don't like them. If you do, then great.
Originally Posted by jakedatc
ok, you were wondering why people thought it was odd. Because it is not the norm.
Drop it! All of you. Next topic, nothing to argue about here.
Old 03-27-15, 06:40 PM
Gus90

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With the unfortunate need to be "accessible" during most of my riding, I have looked at every option under the sun. From initially trying to mount my phone and use it as my cycling computer to an apple watch to a Garmin 1000 so that I am aware when I'm trying to be contacted. I've decided that since I already own a Garmin 810 (after deciding using a phone as a cycling computer has a lot of drawbacks) on my weekday rides or longer solo rides this is probably my best option. As much as I've tried to reduce the amount of "accessories" on my bike, this is more of a necessity. It arrived today and quite frankly, doesn't look half bad on the bike. It even fits my iPhone 6. So now I can ride without having to stop and pull my phone out for text messages or calls every so often. I can even text while cycling, lol, as if that's a good thing.

You see, sometimes, I cut out of work early to do a nice long ride. Other times I try to squeeze one in after work before I have to pick up the wife from the train. Then there's the long weekend rides were I just don't care who's trying to reach me. I'm becoming a huge fan of Lezyne lately. They seem to make great stuff. Even have a few of their lights that I bought recently but more for my cross rig than my road bike. Also got a tail light for my road bike that will fit on the aero seat post. I've been doing more rides in the morning when it's still a little dark.

Edit: Don't like the top tube bag. Just too much crap on the bike. I'm returning it. It's nice don't get me wrong but I'm going back to just stuffing as much as I an in my jersey pockets and checking my phone when I take a break. Someone showed that Waterfield pouch earlier, I'm considering that and just ditching all accessories except for lights (when I need them) altogether.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg

Last edited by Gus90; 03-29-15 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-27-15, 07:28 PM
HawkeyeBike

Bikes: Giant Escape 2 XL; 2015 Felt Z75 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first road bike. 2015 Felt Z75 Disc. 21 lbs. 7 oz. Shimano 105 group. I can't wait to get out on the road with this bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FeltZ75D.jpg (100.1 KB, 94 views)
Old 03-27-15, 07:54 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I figured WTF, might as well.

Old 03-27-15, 08:57 PM
nastystang

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 2015 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Felt looks good, what size is it?
Old 03-27-15, 09:13 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I was in a discount store that had threaded 16g C02 cartridges (for inflation) at 3 for $3. I have a supply but couldn't past up the price... so I bought some.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.