Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice On Bike Rims/Wheels

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Advice On Bike Rims/Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 10:50 AM
Juggy_Gales

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Hell yeah, you do you

On the question of wheels, Light Bicycle recently released their new Falcon Pro series, I really like the BlackTek finish, they come out of the mold like this, no sanding. I have a set of their 46mm road wheels and love them. I'm currently shopping for a gravel bike, and when I make up my mind (leaning towards a Giant at the moment, the Revolt Advanced), I'll be putting a set of these on it. DT350 hubs and the spoke count you need and you'll have a bombproof wheelset that won't break the bank, while still getting great QC and customer service.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-ro...available.html
Thank you, I will def check that out

I was looking at the Revolt Advanced 2 in Orange.. I dunno, just looks like a Hot Bike and is equipped well enough that the only thing I would even consider
changing would be the wheels and tires.

The step up is even nicer.. But for me.. Right now If I was to get a new bike.. $2100 would be about the max I would go.. I understand why people invest much more.. but considering I don't race.. $2100 would be that sweet spot of getting a great bike that will be quick and do what I want it to do and not feel like I want to upgrade too much to it.. While not killing my wallet.
Old 05-21-19, 10:55 AM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I wouldn't upgrade those wheels.

I bet they'll take on Maxxis Ramblers just fine and they roll great. It's hard not to like them. They'll also lighten up your bike some.

Boycott Chick fil A, average food but I can't support a company that spends any of it's profits to support hate and bigotry.

Tell your friend to put on a shirt.
The guy not wearing a shirt is a Native "Florida Man".. They do what they do. haha
Old 05-21-19, 11:28 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Juggy_Gales
Thank you for this.
My main riding is either riding 2-10 miles around to stores instead of driving.
and when I ride with friends we normally ride 20-50 miles to various places including.. one of the beaches.. a pub.. etc.

The terrain is pretty flat and either paved or dirt/gravel.
My bike is set up tubeless and would like to stay with that set up.. Generally because many of the paths are paved I keep them pressured high for less rolling resistance on the paved trails I could always let some air out if I hit gravel.
My reasoning for wanting new tires is.. sometimes I feel that the bike isn't holding the momentum I think it should be.. and my brakes aren't rubbing or anything like that. I heard that Tires and wheels will help that.. Plus the 700x50C stock Giant Sycamore tires are decent and seem to be wearing well.. Sometimes I feel they are not as grippy as they could be or maybe the 700x50C tire being so thick from rim to tread may be a factor.. Which is why I was considering a slightly smaller sized tire like a 700X40C which sure may reduce my plushness a bit with absorbing bumps.. But may be a bit more compliant with what I want from a tire..
I really like what I have seen with Maxxis Rambler tires at that 700x40C size. They are Tubeless like I like and seem like a quality tire.

Thoughts?
The weight and size of a 50mm tire is not going to roll like a 35mm tire. If you are mostly on paved surface with some hardpack dirt/gravel and not hitting trails or hills or rock and wooded paths, I would consider riding a 33 (inflated to 35 on a wide rim), 35 (Inflated to 37) or 38 (Inflated to 40) and you will immediately feel a little bit faster.

That being said the quality and make of a tire can greatly affect the rolling resistance of said tire. You can get a high end 50mm tire and have the same/similar rolling resistance of a cheap 35mm tire. But the weight of the tire overall will make up the difference in feel when spinning up the wheel and keeping it going.

Do you or any of your friends have a spare set of tires lying around you could try just to compare the feel of the bike with smaller tires? Even if you put a pair of 28mm or 32mm road tires on it just to compare the feel to a 50mm tire. This might give you some better insight as to how much you want to spend to get more momentum out of your longer sessions.

Putting a new wheelset on will definitely make a difference though. I had stock wheels on my gravel bike (A
erus Quantum AL24) and upgraded to HED Ardennes GP wheels and noticed an immediate difference in how the wheels spun up and felt on the ride. Felt the difference in cornering with the wider rims and they were measurably faster on descents (The fastest descent on one of my regular rides with stock rims was an avg of 42-44mph and with the HED wheels I can usually break 45mph which I could never do with the stock wheels...45 was like my speed barrier on that descent on that bike with stock wheels)

Last edited by Wilmingtech; 05-21-19 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-21-19, 11:36 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Thank you, I will def check that out

I was looking at the Revolt Advanced 2 in Orange.. I dunno, just looks like a Hot Bike and is equipped well enough that the only thing I would even consider
changing would be the wheels and tires.

The step up is even nicer.. But for me.. Right now If I was to get a new bike.. $2100 would be about the max I would go.. I understand why people invest much more.. but considering I don't race.. $2100 would be that sweet spot of getting a great bike that will be quick and do what I want it to do and not feel like I want to upgrade too much to it.. While not killing my wallet.
That's the one I'm looking at, I really like that orange! I have a hard time spending more than that on a bike too, got spoiled with the great deal I got on my Fuji. lol The frame on the 2 is the same as the 0, so you can upgrade components later and have the same level of bike (with a better color, imo).
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 05-21-19, 06:15 PM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
That's the one I'm looking at, I really like that orange! I have a hard time spending more than that on a bike too, got spoiled with the great deal I got on my Fuji. lol The frame on the 2 is the same as the 0, so you can upgrade components later and have the same level of bike (with a better color, imo).
Id love to test ride the revolt
Old 05-22-19, 01:08 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I think offense is exactly what was intended with that statement.. haha
No, really I was not intending to offend. My point is that $80+, culty, esoteric, fragile tires and fairly high-end road rims typically found on $1,000 road wheels might not be what you're looking for.
Old 05-22-19, 11:09 PM
SoreFeet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I would not use those Compas tires with that wimpy Panaracer type casing. It's supple, it rides great, and then it tears and there goes 50$ a tire...not for me been there don't that.
Likes For SoreFeet:
Old 05-30-19, 11:15 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Id love to test ride the revolt
I took one for a test ride yesterday, love it! Didn't get to take it offroad, but nailed some potholes in the parking lot and it soaked them right up, very comfortable. I could easily see using it as a road bike with some 28-32mm tires.