Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Interview with Richard Schwinn/why he closed Waterford

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Interview with Richard Schwinn/why he closed Waterford

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-24, 12:34 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
I strongly believe Richard and Co. did an amazing job.

Cranked out a fantastic amount of great work.

Payed what it should have paid for getting it done.

Despite his commentary to the contrary, furthered a storied legacy that very much still deserved to be and made his own indelible mark as well.

Many, many have failed miserably in this kind of endeavor, Richard will not have been one of them.

I applaud him and am very glad he stayed the course.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-30-24, 07:59 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,870 Times in 1,065 Posts
"Gravitationally attractive"
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 01-30-24, 08:44 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
It seems like now days the learning is an after thought, many things are so broken down by the process that gets them done that there is little learning and so there is also little satisfaction or sense of accomplishment, not that they seem to care.
Sounds like the same "back in my day" ramblings said by every generation of their successor, with no data or real evidence to back it up. Many hardworking and curious young people out there wouldn't appreciate your blanket statement.
Assuming an average birth date on this forum of ~1950-60, the graduation rates for that generation were ~13% for high school and ~65% for college. Today the rates are ~38% and ~91% respectively. The younger generation is smarter and more diligent than ever.
There are also more custom framebuilders currently than in the history of this country. So let's not attribute Waterford's closing to the work ethic of the current generation.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 01-30-24, 10:31 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Sounds like the same "back in my day" ramblings said by every generation of their successor, with no data or real evidence to back it up. Many hardworking and curious young people out there wouldn't appreciate your blanket statement.
Assuming an average birth date on this forum of ~1950-60, the graduation rates for that generation were ~13% for high school and ~65% for college. Today the rates are ~38% and ~91% respectively. The younger generation is smarter and more diligent than ever.
There are also more custom framebuilders currently than in the history of this country. So let's not attribute Waterford's closing to the work ethic of the current generation.
I'll buy your argument. It is always dangerous to dwell in generalizations and one-size-fits-all "solutions" to anything. I am pleased that my sons got good university educations and have gone on to successful careers and great family values. I am equally pleased that my elder son's two boys are doing well in gradeschool and appear to have a genuine love of learning. I try to instill the same work ethic and love of learning among my students.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 01-30-24, 11:12 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Yeah, I know its a broken record type of statement and I really only have my own experience to go on.

After 10 years working in Environmental services at a major hospital and 25 years before that as an ASE and fomoco Senior Master technician and having trained and watched plenty of onboarding that many don't truly want to dig in and learn the harder more challenging aspects of either vocation.

I will say this is not exclusive to the younger generations but it seems to be more prevalent with them now days and increasing.

The hard part of any job is the most important as it is the part that solves the challenge.
Old 01-30-24, 11:22 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,681 Posts
Yeah, I know its a broken record type of statement and I really only have my own experience to go on.

After 10 years working in Environmental services at a major hospital and 25 years before that as an ASE and fomoco Senior Master technician and having trained and watched plenty of onboarding that many don't truly want to dig in and learn the harder more challenging aspects of either vocation.

I will say this is not exclusive to the younger generations but it seems to be more prevalent with them now days and increasing.

The hard part of any job is the most important as it is the part that solves the challenge.
Also, graduation rates might not be as reliable an indication of the willingness of students to work hard as they appear. Many localities put pressure on school systems, threatening to cut budgets unless they show improving student statistics. As a consequence, some school districts index teacher pay and advancement to student grades, which in turn puts great pressure on teachers to inflate those grades.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-30-24, 11:28 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
C&V is a safe place to denigrate modern bikes and technologies but sometimes it bleeds out to a generalized good old-days narrative not based on any sense of reality.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 01-30-24, 07:38 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,805 Times in 1,409 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
C&V is a safe place to denigrate modern bikes and technologies but sometimes it bleeds out to a generalized good old-days narrative not based on any sense of reality.
The old trope you bring certainly does not elevate the conversation.

But I really doubt you see the irony. Carryon.
Likes For iab:
Old 01-30-24, 07:50 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
I agree with about 95% of what you say. Every generation thinks the one ahead of it is full of old fuddy-duddies and the generation behind them is full of slackers who don't understand the value of hard work and are making the world go to hell in a hand basket. (Every generation also thinks it invented sex.) And every generation is wrong. Every generation has its own set of challenges, some that mirror prior generations' challenges and some that are brand new.

The one thing I will disagree with is that the "younger generations is smarter . . . than ever." Today's youth are every bit as dumb as we were at their age. They have immediate access to waaaaay more information, but knowing a lot of information is not the same thing as intelligence. Their CPUs are do not fully mature any faster than ours or any other generation's did. Today's average 18 year old is every bit as capable of doing amazingly stupid things as we were, and every 22 year old is only marginally better just as was the case with us. That does not make them better or worse, lazier or harder working, or smarter or dumber than us, it makes them pretty much the same as us, but with some different challenges
Old 01-30-24, 08:52 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
The old trope you bring certainly does not elevate the conversation.

But I really doubt you see the irony. Carryon.
You must be new around here. Worn out tropes is what these forums are all about. I mean there is a BF language that has developed around them, crabon and assplode is just a start.
Old 01-30-24, 11:26 PM
merziac

There are also more custom framebuilders currently than in the history of this country.

CITATION NEEDED and maybe so but obviously none of them deemed it prudent to preserve one of the best, longest running ones so here we are.

So let's not attribute Waterford's closing to the work ethic of the current generation.
I didn't, you did so lets not put words in my mouth, I was simply piggy backing off Johns comment as I'm a big fan of that quote, it wasn't directly meant the way you saw it.
Old 01-30-24, 11:57 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
I didn't, you did so lets not put words in my mouth, I was simply piggy backing off Johns comment as I'm a big fan of that quote, it wasn't directly meant the way you saw it.
Fair enough!
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 01-31-24, 07:30 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
As always, great video JJ !
Old 02-07-24, 08:20 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts
Gosh,
I go on vacation and check in to find this conversation! LOL.

It's all good

John
Old 02-09-24, 12:11 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
Gosh,
I go on vacation and check in to find this conversation! LOL.

It's all good

John
Yes, a good interview. Based on my limited exposure to him, however, I would expect Richard Schwinn to be a pretty easy interview. He's gregarious and loves to talk about bikes, especially Schwinns and Waterfords. You just put the quarter in him and let him go.

And I mean all of that in a good way and I in no way mean to denigrate the good job you did with him. Just saying that Richard Schwinn is an easier interview than, say, Bruce Gordon would have been..

P.S. Love the t-shirt, John. I have one exactly like it. One of the very few French bike-related things I own.
Old 02-09-24, 07:38 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Yes, a good interview. Based on my limited exposure to him, however, I would expect Richard Schwinn to be a pretty easy interview. He's gregarious and loves to talk about bikes, especially Schwinns and Waterfords. You just put the quarter in him and let him go.

And I mean all of that in a good way and I in no way mean to denigrate the good job you did with him. Just saying that Richard Schwinn is an easier interview than, say, Bruce Gordon would have been..

P.S. Love the t-shirt, John. I have one exactly like it. One of the very few French bike-related things I own.
I would agree with your assessment. Richard is easy to talk to. Great guy. However I didn't have to put a quarter in.

John Haboush