Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Terrible mistake, L'Eroica edition

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Terrible mistake, L'Eroica edition

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-24, 07:26 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Perhaps the One and only from Minnesota.

Old 03-28-24, 10:32 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Don't forget to measure your rims -- 20mm max.
Old 03-29-24, 08:58 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Good thing Beryllium frames were so light, because taking a drill to it could kill you!
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
True that. I am told that solid beryllium is not a problem - someone told me you could lick it without ill effects, but I refrained from putting that to the test - but anything that could get inhaled into your lungs makes asbestos look positively benign by comparison. I am also given to believe that beryllium is tough and hard to break, but that when it does break it kind of shatters and woe unto thee if you are within breathing range of such an event. As in "get your affairs in order" level woe.

Of course, I am speaking from the unique position of having zero first-hand knowledge of beryllium fabrication. I just rode a beryllium-framed bike once and have had people tell me things.
Originally Posted by genejockey
I remember discussions of Beryllium's toxicity from years ago, but I'm not sure where.
I live less than five miles from one of the only Beryllium processing plants in the country, and I know several people that work there. I also have had tours of the plant when I was a volunteer firefighter. Beryllium disease is serious, but the likelihood of getting it from a single exposure to some drill shavings or a broken part are extremely low. It is the long term effects of inhaling the dust or vapors from casting that can cause severe scarring on the lungs. However, it only affects those who are sensitive to Beryllium, which is a small fraction of the population. Unfortunately, you probably won't know if you are sensitive unless you work in a Beryllium plant and get tested for it. I know one guy who found other work when he learned that he had the sensitivity to Beryllium. They are really careful that nothing leaves the plant. The workers at the plant have to take off their uniforms, shower, and put on clean clothing before going home. During the tours, they would pass around aircraft parts that were made from Beryllium and they are crazy light. A bolt the size of your thumb felt like the weight of a paper clip. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...yllium-disease
Old 03-29-24, 09:12 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,293 Times in 1,281 Posts
Many years ago I made Beryllium copper lapping wires for bleed jets in hydraulic aircraft pumps. I was young and still learning about grinding various types of tools. I had a vacuum close to the grinding wheel while I was working . When I found out the side effects of working with this material I was a bit scared and had a blood test and breathing test . I was OK but others , working at Rockwell got COPD from doing what I was doing. Of course now I just work with benign things like Carbide and Cobalt!! Joe , grinding precision cutting tools for over 50 years , testing the limits
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-29-24, 04:41 PM
FrejusFlyer

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 73 Posts
My golf clubs are made of Beryllium Copper. I don't know why I love reading these Eroica rules threads, but as I've said before, as far as Eroica California, I never saw any bike police. Nobody was inspecting bikes, and I rode alongside someone on a 90's folding city bike with a basket on the back for part of the ride. The Italian version is much stricter.

Last edited by FrejusFlyer; 03-29-24 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-30-24, 09:28 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by FrejusFlyer
My golf clubs are made of Beryllium Copper. I don't know why I love reading these Eroica rules threads, but as I've said before, as far as Eroica California, I never saw any bike police. Nobody was inspecting bikes, and I rode alongside someone on a 90's folding city bike with a basket on the back for part of the ride. The Italian version is much stricter.
I did have someone glance at my bike for a few seconds at Eroica California. I think it was the third edition. I know it was the last time that the start line was at the main town square downtown in Paso Robles. After that, no inspections.
Old 03-30-24, 10:17 PM
FrejusFlyer

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
I did have someone glance at my bike for a few seconds at Eroica California. I think it was the third edition. I know it was the last time that the start line was at the main town square downtown in Paso Robles. After that, no inspections.
I was only there the first two years. I should have said that. So Somebody was actually inspecting the bikes? Wow.
Old 03-31-24, 02:24 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I’ve never had side pull brakes function as I expected they should, even Dura Ace 7400s. I was always surprised by how poorly they worked. It wasn’t until I got dual pivots that I finally got the braking experience I desired.
Some sidepull single pivot brakes work better than others. having good caliper arm profile design results in stiffer calipers that are responsive and strong. The Spidel LS2s I have on my French C&V bikes have beefy caliper arms and they brake very well. But some sidepulls that look good at first glance have just mediocre to poor braking performance. The Modolo Speedy comes to mind as it's caliper arms are quite thin in profile, so they flex quite a bit when braking, so you get a mushy feeling at the levers.
Old 03-31-24, 08:59 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Some sidepull single pivot brakes work better than others. having good caliper arm profile design results in stiffer calipers that are responsive and strong. The Spidel LS2s I have on my French C&V bikes have beefy caliper arms and they brake very well. But some sidepulls that look good at first glance have just mediocre to poor braking performance. The Modolo Speedy comes to mind as it's caliper arms are quite thin in profile, so they flex quite a bit when braking, so you get a mushy feeling at the levers.
I don’t disagree with you. But I had Dura Ace 7400s, and their arms were noticeably beefier than just about anything on the market. But they never felt much better than the 600 EX calipers that they replaced. Were they better than what was on my Centurion Sport DLX? Sure. But they never felt like what I expected a top of the line brake set to feel like. I never had that feeling until I got the 7700 dual pivots.
Old 04-01-24, 11:36 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by FrejusFlyer
I was only there the first two years. I should have said that. So Somebody was actually inspecting the bikes? Wow.
I think "inspecting" is overstating it. More like "glancing and perhaps raising an eyebrow ever so slightly."
Old 04-01-24, 11:44 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,293 Times in 1,281 Posts
Agreed , just a glance . I don't recall anyone getting bounced , even in the early Paso Robles days when Wes was there. I do remember critically looking at Luciano's old bike and wondering how the heck he was going to ride it . It was quite tattered . It WAS , however , period correct . (tacks hidden in his handlebars and all!). Now that is the spirit of Eroica! Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 04-01-24, 05:25 PM
Classtime 

I will be inspecting.
And I will be conspiring with others in our group to drop any scofflaws.
I also am proposing a new rule: Any rear derailleurs used must be short or medium cage and all chainrings must have no fewer than 40 teeth.
Old 04-01-24, 05:43 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
all chainrings must have no fewer than 40 teeth.
Bartali and Coppi are rolling in their graves. 42s are for city bikes, to ride to church in your Sunday best. Anything below 49 is embarrassing, 45 is tolerated. Any cog larger than 22 is for small children.
Likes For iab:
Old 04-01-24, 05:55 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Bartali and Coppi are rolling in their graves. 42s are for city bikes, to ride to church in your Sunday best. Anything below 49 is embarrassing, 45 is tolerated. Any cog larger than 22 is for small children.
And for overly-large, rapidly aging adults . . . .
Old 04-01-24, 07:54 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Bartali and Coppi are rolling in their graves. 42s are for city bikes, to ride to church in your Sunday best.
Coppi was famously not a churchy guy.
Old 04-01-24, 08:03 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Coppi was famously not a churchy guy.
And never rode a 42.
Old 04-02-24, 10:56 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
And never rode a 42.
Imagine how they'd feel about the 1x drive trains with enormous cogs, and a dozen of them!

EDIT: I expect they'd say, "FINALLY!!! That 44 x 18 crap is for the birds!"

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-02-24, 10:58 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I will be inspecting.
And I will be conspiring with others in our group to drop any scofflaws.
I also am proposing a new rule: Any rear derailleurs used must be short or medium cage and all chainrings must have no fewer than 40 teeth.
52/40 Or Fight!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-02-24, 06:03 PM
MCHunt

Bikes: 2023 Trek Procaliber, 2019 Argon 18 Dark Matter, 2019 Argon 18 Gallium Disc, 2000 Steve Rex custom, 1993 Greg Lemond TSX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 12 Posts
George Mount has said that nothing smaller than a 42-19 was necessary for racing the Giro. Now he loves his 32 cogs.. Gears for pros are one thing, for average riders, quite another.
Old 04-02-24, 07:48 PM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 161 Posts
For the sake of the historical record, Le Bici di Coppi by Amadori and Tullini references Coppi using 50/47x15-24 and Bartali 49/46x15-24 over the Aubisque, Tourmalet, Aspin and Peyresourde. I can’t translate the Italian but this would have been late 1940s or early 1950s.

Correspondence from 1954 references a 15-17-19-24-26 freewheel.

A comprehensive list of Coppi’s gear selection for the 1957 season shows gears as low as 51/47x14-24, and straight blocks to be the exception rather than the rule, saved for Paris-Roubaix and the Trofeo Barrachi (a glorious two-up time trial now consigned to history).

Photographs of the era show Merckx often using c. 24t climbing sprockets in the mountains, and Battaglin famously rode a triple crankset with 36x24 on Tre Cime de Lavaredo en route to winning the 1981 Giro.

These gears are not the 39/36x29/32/34 lows of today, but they are not the mythical corn cobs either. As is often the case, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
Old 04-03-24, 09:42 AM
Classtime 

If I ever find a 1950s road racing bike, I will ride it in EroicaCA with gears appropriate to its era of racing and with spare tubulars across my shoulders. My EroicaCA bikes have been from the 80s and sporting the 42x24. If I get my 73 Le Champion finished in time, it will also have the 42x24. The most fun I have at EroicaCA is trying to hang with the guys with smaller clusters than that. They look the part and let me think I'm there.
Old 04-03-24, 04:12 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Even if I had been riding bikes in the 60's, I wouldn't have been a professional at the time. So I don't try to pretend to be a pro. I pretend to be a club rider from the era, with the accompanying lower gears.
Likes For mhespenheide: