Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Mostly male commuters?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Mostly male commuters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-07, 05:09 PM
fliphandywork

Bikes: GTR 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mostly male commuters?

Is it just me or is it predominately males that commute to work by bicycle? I offer the idea to my wife and she is completely uninterested in the idea.
Old 05-20-07, 05:24 PM
cradduck
This town needs an enema.

Bikes: Bridgestone 400

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I worked at REI it was about 50/50 males and females commuting. At the hospital I now work at it is almost all males that commute by bike but I do see quite a few females along the way.
Old 05-20-07, 06:09 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In my limited experience winter commuters are 90% male and 10% women. When it warms up it is roughly 75% male and 25% female. I really wish more women would join up. Not for hormonal reasons but simply for the diversity.
Old 05-20-07, 06:24 PM
kdg357

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp, Schwinn Sierra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am the only one that rides a bike to work and I am a female. I am very fortunate that I live less than a mile to work so it is an easy ride. There are at least 6 other women who also live less than a mile , some closer than me, and they all drive, one does walk sometimes. They all have excuses, I can't park my bike in my room, I don't have a decent bike, etc. I just wish they could see how easy and fun it is to ride. We do have a male staffer who will ride maybe 3 or 4 times a year, but he lives a lot farther away and has a very tough ride home.

K.
Old 05-20-07, 07:47 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
It seems like I hear a lot of comments about hair care problems from women who would otherwise commute.
In some areas, women are afraid of physical attack.
Old 05-20-07, 08:12 PM
squeakywheel
domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first thought was maybe its just guys who hang out on these internet forums. But now that I think about it, I've never seen a woman at the bike rack where I work. On the other hand, its about 90% men at my office. Hopefully that's not because of fear of physical attack.
Old 05-20-07, 08:33 PM
mikepop

Bikes: Marin Larkspur 1998

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say I see about an equal mix around here (Maine)
Old 05-20-07, 08:36 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've heard numbers like 25% women and 75% men in most cities. I understand Portland is estimated at about 40% women. In good weather, I think that's about on target.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 05-20-07, 09:51 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
25%, 40%? Wow those numbers seem high. More like 5% around here... Oh in the spring more ride for a few warm days...then back to the cars.
Old 05-20-07, 10:17 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen the same woman commuting over the past year along my route. I've seen her and one other guy commuting regularly by bike. So, I guess that makes it 50/50 in my limited experience.

Counting only those who commute where I work it's 100% men who commute by bike. Me and one other guy...that's pretty much it. Quite a limited sampling I'm afraid. I don't think you could draw any conclusions from it...sorry 'bout that.
Old 05-20-07, 10:23 PM
Flimflam
Raving looney

Bikes: 70s Leader Precision w/Shimano 600 (road), IRO Rob Roy (Fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work where the staff is about 80% female, I know of one female that rides in pretty much all year, I ride pretty much all year and another guy rides in mostly fair weather. There are a couple more of both sexes, but they're more sporadic/seasonal.

The female that rides a lot puts me to shame, in all honesty, but as the numbers go I'd say it's usually a 66/33 split for men, with an occasional 60/40 or 70/30 male split.

It's nice to know that others in the office do ride though, as small as the number is. Ever since I started bringing my bike into my office, it's been noticed and we're getting a bike rack in our new building, and some showers. Yay.
Old 05-20-07, 11:34 PM
notenspeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting question. The university here (midwest) added dorms last year, so now we see a lot of bikes on campus, but I'd say 6 or 7 out of ten are men. I'm the only person I ever see commuting from off campus (6 miles, I'm female). Oops, take that back, I saw the guy from the LBS on campus, bet he commutes. I see people riding when I'm out, equal men and women, but they don't look like commuters. And really, there are very few. This city is very unfriendly for the bike commuter, though we have a great long path by the river, it doesn't usually help me go where I need to.
Old 05-20-07, 11:41 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
It varies with the area, obviously. In some areas, only the true hardcore and adventurous people dare to venture out on a bicycle - and among the highly hardcore and adventurous people the males generally constitute a higher proportion (even though there are females there as well, such as myself - although sometimes I'm not sure whether I should classify myself as hardcore or just foolish and crazy ). In areas where cycling is more accepted and is seen as a more safe and everyday thing more women join in.

In downtown Toronto, where cycling is fairly well accepted, I see a lot of women riding. Probably as many as men - in good weather. In bad weather (by that I mean winter with snow and subzero temps) all cyclists are so bundled up that I have a hard time determining their gender.

Another thing: I wonder how many people mistake me for a teenaged guy when I ride around. As some encounters lead me to believe, it could be surprisingly many.
Old 05-21-07, 12:19 AM
soze
ex-everything.

Bikes: venerable surly crosscheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a year-rounder woman. It's great because it pretty much eliminates any moron from trying to pull the "I'm a big strong man" chestbeating **** on me. Ooh, you're so tough in your heated couch on wheels, come ride in an ice storm with me some time, big guy. We'll see how strong you are then. After all, a *girl* can do it, why can't you? *lol*

I wonder if the lower numbers for women are in part because they tend to end up with more of the child care responsibilities in a relationship, hoofing kids around and whatnot.
Old 05-21-07, 12:45 AM
nakedsushi
newbie commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At my work, currently it's 2 guys and 1 girl (me). We used to have another girl who sometimes commuted, but now she's gone. So I guess 2:1 ratio here.
Old 05-21-07, 03:01 AM
MikeR
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fliphandywork
Is it just me or is it predominately males that commute to work by bicycle? I offer the idea to my wife and she is completely uninterested in the idea.
I don't know about anyone else but I commute and I'm mostly male.
Old 05-21-07, 05:03 AM
Nicodemus
Feral Member

Bikes: yes, I have one.

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Holland you get everyone. That's because the infrastructure, lifestyle, and types of bicycles are conducive to all types of people, even the fragile girlies who want to wear nice clothes and look pretty. But at least nobody here leans on the old "my hair, my hair!" excuse. That's just sad.

The problem is that in countries like the US you really do have to be more wild and aggressive to ride a bicycle regularly. The environment is not conducive to women - at least in the context of most peoples' views that bicycle riding is for freds, freaks, and **** ups.

As a generalisation, women fuss over their delicate image too much and will happily use that as an excuse to not ride. In the end, it's all just excuses, ignorance, and unhealthy lifestyles.

edit: I do not think women are all "silly fragile girlies" - that was just a generalization which is IMO perfectly valid for a particular segment of the female population. And there are plenty of cretins and toolbags on the males side too, as we all know. A woman who's not afraid of getting dirty is a huge turn-on, but sadly rather rare.
Old 05-21-07, 05:04 AM
Nicodemus
Feral Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeR
I don't know about anyone else but I commute and I'm mostly male.
Old 05-21-07, 05:33 AM
purplebike
v. 2.0

Bikes: 2006 Giant Bowery, early 1990s Diamondback "newspaper" bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was my first "year-round" commute year and currently I'm the only person at the office (a huge goverment agency) that rides a bike to work. Granted, we're in the suburbs and I have to combine the subway with biking, but still. When I worked at a major university last year, two men commuted occasionally, but I was the only person who rode a bike no matter what.

I think women are less likely to for the appearance reason. It's hard in corporate situations to look decent after riding a bike to work. It can be done, and I know some women who do, but it's a difficult lifestyle choice to make.
Old 05-21-07, 06:06 AM
Pax
Yup

Bikes: Electra Townie 7d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work at a university and the faculty/staff commuters break down to about 60% female and 40% male. The kids are mostly too lazy to ride and take the bus all of four blocks to get to class.
Old 05-21-07, 08:22 AM
Relaxer
Tora Tora Tora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work at NPR in Wash DC, so we have a pretty sizeable (and mixed) population of hipster 20-somethings. Which is why I'm always so surprised that all I ever see storing or retrieving a bike in the bike room are guys like me in their late 30s, 40s and 50s. There must be 50+ bikes tossed in the storage room, but I only see the same couple of guys every morning.
Old 05-21-07, 09:00 AM
Nicodemus
Feral Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Queen
I work at a university and the faculty/staff commuters break down to about 60% female and 40% male. The kids are mostly too lazy to ride and take the bus all of four blocks to get to class.
yikes

Originally Posted by Relaxer
I work at NPR in Wash DC, so we have a pretty sizeable (and mixed) population of hipster 20-somethings. Which is why I'm always so surprised that all I ever see storing or retrieving a bike in the bike room are guys like me in their late 30s, 40s and 50s. There must be 50+ bikes tossed in the storage room, but I only see the same couple of guys every morning.
Probably because the older generation have at least a memory of a life without SUVs *everywhere*, and we still think that taking a bus four blocks to get to class is deplorable.
Old 05-21-07, 09:28 AM
katmu

Bikes: 1985 Trek 620 and 2006 Breezer Villager

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At my office, it is mostly men. I actually don't think I have ever seen another woman at the bike rack. I usually see a few women when I pass by downtown. I would love to see more women commuters.

I do ride kind of a girly bike now (Breezer), but more due to my back injury than the fact that I want to look delicate. My commute is 14 miles one way, so I sometimes do the bike/bus combo. It's just sad becuase I know several women in my office who live much closer than me but wouldn't even consider riding.
Old 05-21-07, 09:33 AM
squegeeboo

Bikes: Specalized Tri-Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At my office it started out as just me. But since then a few others have started, but so far all guys. And on my commute I pass one woman now and again, and a bunch of guys.
Old 05-21-07, 09:37 AM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever do a century ride? I've done a couple and the majority of the riders have been men and I do mean the majority...like 75-80% I'd say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.