Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Mostly male commuters?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Mostly male commuters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-07, 10:30 AM
Pax
Yup

Bikes: Electra Townie 7d

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's the only sporting event I've ever participated in (or attended for that matter) where we don't have to stand in line for the bathroom!
Old 05-21-07, 11:12 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm the only woman who bike commutes at my company, but it's a small company. I see a lot of women on my commute, though.
Old 05-21-07, 12:17 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Like Lil Brown Bat, I'm the only woman who bike commutes at my workplace (and we have about 70% female staff), but then I am also the only person of either gender who rides at my workplace

Informal survey of my friends finds the women are more willing to entertain the idea of riding, but most of the guys in the group are stereotypical computer geeks who would rather play a video game of a sport than the actual sport

Queen, I LOVE your sig quote; that's awesome
Old 05-21-07, 01:24 PM
acroy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
No women in Texas ride bikes.
"It would mess up mah HAY-r, bless YO-er heart!"

seriously, the only bike commuters I see going to jobs are men, and few of those. there's a fair number of college kids on bikes, prolly 60/40 men/women
Old 05-21-07, 01:28 PM
Nicodemus
Feral Member

Bikes: yes, I have one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buglady
Like Lil Brown Bat, I'm the only woman who bike commutes at my workplace (and we have about 70% female staff), but then I am also the only person of either gender who rides at my workplace

Informal survey of my friends finds the women are more willing to entertain the idea of riding, but most of the guys in the group are stereotypical computer geeks who would rather play a video game of a sport than the actual sport

Queen, I LOVE your sig quote; that's awesome
Those ladies need to get hangin' with some real men.
(with the exception of occasional GTA mayhem )
Old 05-21-07, 01:49 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The funny thing to me is that, TO ME anyway, the hairstyles that can get messed up the most by a helmet or wind are the least attractive anyway. I'm not a fan of highly-styled hair (or makeup for that matter). I think a fit woman on a bike is about 100x more attractive than the vast majority of runway models, and maybe only 10x more attractive than the rest of them.
Old 05-21-07, 01:51 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
That's funny, I know the type. I actually have never been the least bit interested in any vicarious enjoyment of sport; can't stand to watch sports or play videogames of them, and I have no interest at all in really organized sports, but I do enjoy doing them on occasion, though I haven't had the opportunity to play football or soccer much since high school.
Old 05-21-07, 02:09 PM
DataJunkie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
The funny thing to me is that, TO ME anyway, the hairstyles that can get messed up the most by a helmet or wind are the least attractive anyway. I'm not a fan of highly-styled hair (or makeup for that matter). I think a fit woman on a bike is about 100x more attractive than the vast majority of runway models, and maybe only 10x more attractive than the rest of them.

+1000000

There is something to be said for a lady who cares about her health and works hard to maintain it.
Old 05-21-07, 02:33 PM
acroy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
+1000000

There is something to be said for a lady who cares about her health and works hard to maintain it.
+ 1x10^(zillion)
Old 05-21-07, 07:02 PM
phays

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe; Novara Big Buzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Relaxer
I work at NPR in Wash DC, so we have a pretty sizeable (and mixed) population of hipster 20-somethings.
I listened to NPR's quirky little report on Sunday morning...were you involved in getting the humble narrator to ride?

Where I work the bulk of the cyclists seem to be older 45+ men, though there is representation from other groups. I think more women are reluctant to bike because it will make them seem different from the crowd--and that can be scary.
Old 05-21-07, 07:22 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
On my little 6.5 mile ride to work I usually see about 5 or 6 other commuters, and one of them is female and an extremely strong rider.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-21-07, 08:56 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
There are a multitude of socialization issues involved in the commuter imbalance, I'm sure. I suspect that a big part of it is the perception of riding a bicycle as an athletic activity, rather than a transportation activity. Women are generally socialized to avoid athletic activities to a greater extent than men. After all, witness countries where people of all genders ride in equal proportions: you will almost certainly observe that the bicycle is primarily regarded as urban transportation.

There's also the perception of men as being skilled with machines, while women are perceived as not having these skills. Take for example the fact that most American men believe that they are good drivers, and that women don't drive as well/safely as men. My observation as both a passenger in motor vehicles and a cyclist in traffic belies this belief, but it persists. It doesn't help that these attitudes create and reinforce in women the belief that they are inferior operators of vehicles. Bicycles are another kind of transportation machine, and women are generally assumed not to know their way around bicycles (just as they are assumed not to know their way around machines in general). Why try something as belittling and demeaning as taking up a sport activity that is so centric around machines? It's very clear that women are not particularly welcome in American cycling. Things are a lot better, but the typical LBS is a pretty sexist, threatening place for a woman. There is nothing about women that makes them less likely to take up commuting by bicycle, but there is a lot about how women are socialized in a sexist society (AND a sexist subculture) that makes them less likely to get on a bike. Hey, there are higher proportions of women commuters in liberal, coastal-area cities. Coincidence? Hmmm.

I think that a change in attitude about cycling and in how we think about gender would both go a long way in getting more women on bikes.

By the way, I see lots of women riding bikes around here. It's a good area for that sort of thing. In Northampton, in particular, there are lots and lots of women on bicycles. It's very refreshing to be surrounded by positive people and attitudes! Some of the coolest local folks I know of make their living collecting trash by bicycle. Two of the three (four?) of them (including the person behind getting the business rolling) are women. So they are out there.
Old 05-21-07, 10:50 PM
kdg357

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp, Schwinn Sierra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why don't more women ride?

May I ask why is your wife not interested?

K
Old 05-22-07, 12:04 AM
mtn_chick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm surprised to hear the gender balance so lopsided. We have a TON of female riders up here, and many commuters. It's gotta be 50/50 I would think although I have done no formal analysis!

On my route I regularly see 2-3 women (oh, and that's a lot, I only see about 4-5 people on my ride in). And the women are the ones doing the LONG commutes!

In general though, being active is something most people around here do and we seem to become obsessed with riding once spring/summer hits. Being in the north, I think we're just so damned glad it's finally warm and bright out, that we'll do anything to stay outside longer!!
Old 05-22-07, 05:29 AM
cgchambers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread got me thinking yesterday, so I counted male and female commuters.

Total Commuters seen on 8 mile route: 52
Total of Male Commuters: 29
Total of Female Commuters: 23

In the winter it is totally 50/50, there are only 2 of us out there with any regularity that I see during my commuting hours. Myself and one woman.
Old 05-22-07, 05:30 AM
Nicodemus
Feral Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nicely summed up, grolby. That's exactly the case here - cycling is a form of transportation not a sport. Everyone rides.
Old 05-22-07, 12:41 PM
Minicrank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my office there are two regular bike commuters - both women. However I work in a relatively small safe city and perhaps that influences it.
Old 05-22-07, 01:45 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Originally Posted by Nicodemus
Those ladies need to get hangin' with some real men.
(with the exception of occasional GTA mayhem )
Meh, means we girls can go for group rides and camping trips that don't turn into races and/or peeing contests (... don't ask).

Originally Posted by Nicodemus
cycling is a form of transportation not a sport. Everyone rides.
I was struck on the weekend by how many mountain bikes I had to dodge on the trail (I was hiking in Banff Park), how many vehicles in the parking lot had multiple bikes strapped on, and how I only saw ONE touring bike on the entire 150 km of road from Lake Minnewanka back to Calgary. Something's a bit off there.
Old 05-22-07, 02:41 PM
Nicodemus
Feral Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meh, means we girls can go for group rides and camping trips that don't turn into races and/or peeing contests (... don't ask).

I was struck on the weekend by how many mountain bikes I had to dodge on the trail (I was hiking in Banff Park), how many vehicles in the parking lot had multiple bikes strapped on, and how I only saw ONE touring bike on the entire 150 km of road from Lake Minnewanka back to Calgary. Something's a bit off there.
It's sad what's happening to the Kananaskis these days
Old 05-22-07, 02:43 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fliphandywork
Is it just me or is it predominately males that commute to work by bicycle? I offer the idea to my wife and she is completely uninterested in the idea.
Out of 900 people at my facility, two of us commute by bike. One is a female. That's 50% baby! My wife commutes also. So of the 3 commuters that I know (including me), 66% of them are women.
Old 05-22-07, 02:48 PM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Here in Costa Rica bikes are a very common form of transportation. There really isn't a difference between men and women on bikes that I can tell - or on horses for that matter. Of course, among the students, I tend to see the woman on a bike - with the guy pedaling!
Old 05-22-07, 02:49 PM
Buglady

Yeah, and then I came home to find the neighBOOR's monster truck completely covered in mud You just know some ecosystem out there is reeling in shock. Poor frogs. Heck, I feel guilty because my hiking boots have a Vibram sole that probably is harder than it needs to be.

Monster trucks, ATVs, snowmobiles, and a fair number of mountain bikes (not all - I know that many MTBers are quite conscientious) SUCK.
Old 05-22-07, 02:55 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Relaxer
I work at NPR in Wash DC, so we have a pretty sizeable (and mixed) population of hipster 20-somethings. Which is why I'm always so surprised that all I ever see storing or retrieving a bike in the bike room are guys like me in their late 30s, 40s and 50s. There must be 50+ bikes tossed in the storage room, but I only see the same couple of guys every morning.
What I want to know is, does Carl Kassel ride to work?

Old 05-22-07, 02:59 PM
lima_bean

Bikes: Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acroy
No women in Texas ride bikes.
"It would mess up mah HAY-r, bless YO-er heart!"

seriously, the only bike commuters I see going to jobs are men, and few of those. there's a fair number of college kids on bikes, prolly 60/40 men/women

When i lived in Austin I knew a TON of women who bike commuted.

In dallas, however, I am the only person male or female I ever saw.
Old 05-22-07, 04:25 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by soze
I wonder if the lower numbers for women are in part because they tend to end up with more of the child care responsibilities in a relationship, hoofing kids around and whatnot.
I don't think that's it. In the places I've worked, the single able bodied women don't do any better than their counterparts with kids.

I think it is because even most feminists seem to regard women as fragile and vulnerable. No one thinks anything of letting some guy walk about at night (nor should they), but I can't tell you how many times I've been the token man on hand to make even small groups of women feel "safe". I'm a scrawny 140lbs, so I'd be able to do little more than delay real attackers by more than 2 seconds while I got pulped. When I drove delivery years ago, women drivers never wanted to go to "unsafe" areas or where they felt "uncomfortable," so they'd send me or one of the other guys.

We seem to be conditioned to believe that it's OK for guys to take risks, but not women. Also, when things really go wrong, there is an expectation that guys will somehow adjust, but that women should be emotionally traumatized for life.

It could also be that men just like cycling more than women. The ratio of men to women runners seems much closer than it is for cyclists. Walkers seem to be predominantly women.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.