Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Milk?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 11:51 AM
ratebeer
Not obese just overweight

Bikes: Trek 7500fx, Cervelo Soloist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
I used to get acne and have wild mood swings when I was living in PA and drinking PA water. But now that I live in New Jersey, I hardly get any. New Jersey rocks!!! Sure I was a teenager when I lived in PA, but that couldn't be it.
Used to?

Veho difficilis, ago facilis
Old 05-31-07, 11:52 AM
mirage1
Bossy Bunny

Bikes: A comfy little Diamond Wildwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WriteABike
Humans are omnivores, milk is food.
I do drink milk (in my coffee) and have cow milk with cereal (I need to get back to almond milk, not sure what happened, there!). But when I did stop drinking milk for a long time, I felt so much better.

It isn't a bad thing to remember that although it is undeniably a "food," it's "food" especially made for growing baby cows into big cows.

But just for further edification, how about THIS? www.dhmo.org
What are the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide?

Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

"Assume a virtue, if you have it not." ~ William Shakespeare

This advice is the reason I'm masquerading as an athletic person.

Last edited by mirage1; 05-31-07 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-31-07, 12:42 PM
Al.canoe

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Oh well, seems to bother you more than it does me.
You appear somewhat self centered if you think anyone here is bothered by what you drink. Possibly it's the same logic you use to drink milk.

I encourage you to drink milk, lot's of it. Possibly someday you might earn a nomination for one of those annual Darwin awards.

Al
Old 05-31-07, 01:02 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Al.canoe
You appear somewhat self centered if you think anyone here is bothered by what you drink. Possibly it's the same logic you use to drink milk.

I encourage you to drink milk, lot's of it. Possibly someday you might earn a nomination for one of those annual Darwin awards.

Al
Yeah, yeah, typical safety nanny response. It pisses you off to no end that people can do all the things you are afraid of and not only survive, but thrive. Yep, I fall under Darwin alright...survival of the fittest.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-31-07, 01:14 PM
Al.canoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Queen
Al.conoe - I've been following the same plant based diet for the last several months (since reading the China Study), my cholesterol numbers have dropped significantly and my overall "numbers" according to my doc are excellent. It was an odd transition but I feel much better now and have passed the info on to my friends. A few have poo-pooed it and some have decided to try it, I'm happy most are just starting to consider their control over their health in a new light..."diseases of affluence" are so avoidable.
I never thought I'd be on a Vegan diet, much less that my wife would too. I was actually some what hostile to the China Study as I read the recommendations at the end first. But in hindsight, I already was eating meat only a couple of times a week and very minimal amounts of dairy. That's mostly because over the years I discovered I felt better that way.

My son-law's cholesterol really went down, like 35 points to around 150. Mine didn't budge a bit.

One caution though. It's tricky being vegan. You have to insure to get sufficient protein which Campbell implies is no problem. I mentally added up what I roughly get and I think it's hard to insure you get enough for folks like me who don't do soy. I get and extra 20 grams a day by supplementing with rice protein.

Best I can tell you need 0.45 gram/pound body weight for a couch potato to 1 gram for a extremely active person like a Tour de France participant. This is from Monique Ryan's book. I figure I need an average of 100 to 110 grams a day.

Before I supplemented, my last annual blood test put the blood protein in the middle of the acceptable range, but I felt like I had lost some energy and I was sleeping an extra hour at night. After about a month of protein supplementing I got back to my usual self. Not proof it had anything to do with protein, so I will experiment further.

Al
Old 05-31-07, 01:17 PM
Al.canoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
It pisses you off to no end that people can do all the things you are afraid of and not only survive, but thrive. :

Sounds like you are REALLY bothered! Sorry!

Al
Old 05-31-07, 01:19 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ratebeer
Used to?

Nothing but a perfect complexion and my mood is consistently pinned on b#itch 24/7.
Old 05-31-07, 01:28 PM
KeyLime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gave up cow juice about 5 yrs ago.. Got SoyMilk?
Old 05-31-07, 02:30 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sounds like you are REALLY bothered! Sorry!

Al
I'm not the one railing away about milk and Darwin and 'worst reasons', pal. If not drinking milk makes is what it takes for you to feel superior to others, good for you, better than taking meds I suppose.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-31-07, 02:44 PM
ratebeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing but a perfect complexion and my mood is consistently pinned on b#itch 24/7.
Nice!

Old 05-31-07, 06:00 PM
Pax
Yup

Bikes: Electra Townie 7d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KeyLime
gave up cow juice about 5 yrs ago.. Got SoyMilk?
Love soymilk! Cow milk tastes really weird to me now.
Old 05-31-07, 06:12 PM
ratebeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Queen
Love soymilk! Cow milk tastes really weird to me now.
An adult human, wet nursed on the teat of a cud-chewing cow is indeed a very weird thing. Throw in loads of antibiotics, steroid and hormone treatments into the "mother's milk" and you got something super freaking sketchy going on! I can't imagine if dairies didn't exist. Would humans be found late night in the barn stealing a suckle?

Old 05-31-07, 07:42 PM
EJ123
djentleman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 66 Posts
I usually exercise aerobically and occasionally weight lift for weight loss purpose. I always finish up with whey protein or I take micellar casein 40 min before. Will this sort of ruin, so the speak, trying to not eat dairy for a day? (I'm seeing if I can make 7 days of it, and notice how I feel afterwards)
Old 06-01-07, 08:41 AM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ratebeer
An adult human, wet nursed on the teat of a cud-chewing cow is indeed a very weird thing. Throw in loads of antibiotics, steroid and hormone treatments into the "mother's milk" and you got something super freaking sketchy going on! I can't imagine if dairies didn't exist. Would humans be found late night in the barn stealing a suckle?

And Soy milk is SOOO natural...
Old 06-01-07, 09:03 AM
Al.canoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Based on some excellent posts on this site and some research by my daughter, Soy is not "naturally" consumed in significant quantities, even by the Asians. Apparently, the so-called long-formented soy IS consumed in very moderate quantities.

Years ago I tried soy milk just for cereal. Tasted better than milk. However, after about 10 days my digestive system felt like it had shut down. I stopped the soy and got back to normal. I repeated the soy milk as an experiment twice more and got the same results each time. I must be soy intollerant.

I would suspect milk is as natural as the soy. Soy milk it's highly processed and adulterated too if I remember the label information correctly. Plus if the soy is imported from Asia, who knows the chemicals it contains as there are no real enforced standards over there.

Al
Old 06-01-07, 09:09 AM
Pax
Yup

Bikes: Electra Townie 7d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I've added more soy to my diet, my hotflashes are almost gone. I'd rather do soy than pills made from horse urine (premarin).
Old 06-01-07, 09:36 AM
Nickel
Splicer of Molecules

Bikes: Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't stand the taste of soy yogurt so I eat dairy yogurt. Strangely, I can't stand the taste of plain cow's milk.

Rice milk is a good alternative.

Last edited by Nickel; 06-01-07 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-01-07, 10:23 AM
ratebeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why are you assuming people who avoid dairy drink soy milk?

Old 06-01-07, 11:39 AM
EJ123
djentleman

I just made almond milk, and tried it a few minutes ago. It's pretty good
Old 06-01-07, 02:26 PM
WriteABike

Bikes: Felt F60, Apollo Concorde, Easy Racers Javelin, Panasonic Tourist, Unknown Steel MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a random thought...

Last night, my wife was reading "Heidi" to our daughter. (The children's novel, written ages ago.) For breakfast the characters would have a bowl of goat milk. For dinner they'd have toasted goat cheese. (No bread, just a big hunk of cheese.) I want a goat.

People have been drinking the milk of goats and cows since prehistoric times. We practically invented the modern milk cow; they're just big, dumb, biological machines. My daughter is allergic to soy, and is just getting over her cow milk allergies. Rice milk just doesn't have the fat or protein (or myriad other things) that milk has. It's in a completely different nutritional class. (Yes, they add stuff to it, but I don't trust manufactured foods to provide complete nutrition.) So we started giving her. . .goat milk! If it could help poor Clara learn to walk. . .

And since milk from the store is more or less manufactured, too, I don't completely trust it, either. Fresh milk from pastured cows would be much better, but how many people can keep cows?

Drinking the milk of another animal does seem a bit strange, but no more so than drinking rotten grain or fruit.

(What I wonder is who first looked at an artichoke and thought "That looks good to eat" and then kept chewing on it long enough to find the good part.)
Old 06-01-07, 03:13 PM
Al.canoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(What I wonder is who first looked at an artichoke and thought "That looks good to eat" and then kept chewing on it long enough to find the good part.)
The first guy to find one that was really hungry.

Al
Old 06-01-07, 03:25 PM
ratebeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a random thought...

Last night, my wife was reading "Heidi" to our daughter. (The children's novel, written ages ago.) For breakfast the characters would have a bowl of goat milk. For dinner they'd have toasted goat cheese. (No bread, just a big hunk of cheese.) I want a goat.

People have been drinking the milk of goats and cows since prehistoric times. We practically invented the modern milk cow; they're just big, dumb, biological machines. My daughter is allergic to soy, and is just getting over her cow milk allergies. Rice milk just doesn't have the fat or protein (or myriad other things) that milk has. It's in a completely different nutritional class. (Yes, they add stuff to it, but I don't trust manufactured foods to provide complete nutrition.) So we started giving her. . .goat milk! If it could help poor Clara learn to walk. . .

And since milk from the store is more or less manufactured, too, I don't completely trust it, either. Fresh milk from pastured cows would be much better, but how many people can keep cows?

Drinking the milk of another animal does seem a bit strange, but no more so than drinking rotten grain or fruit.

Goats milk is better for three reasons

1. It doesn't contain a milk protein found in cow's milk that is the most difficult to digest
2. It doesn't contain all the fungicides, pesticides (from grass and grain), hormones and antibiotics found in your non-organic cow's milk. The major brand of commercial goat's milk in the US is organic
3. The nutrient mix is not as hefty as cow's milk. Goats are smaller than cows.

My infant son recently made the painful switch from formula to milk and oh man, I wasn't prepared for it. He got painful rashes, would wake up screaming and reduced his total intake by 50%. Switching to organic alone eliminated the painful rashes. That's a bit freaky. What the heck is in our milk supply and why?

Old 06-01-07, 03:33 PM
ratebeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The first guy to find one that was really hungry.

Al
Even better is the story behind South American yagé which is prepared by toasting a tree bark and adding it to a pot of water where it's boiled for hours with another plant with the unique property of making an alkaloid in the bark bioactive. The dimethyltryptamine would otherwise be easily broken down.

Given that this went down in the rainforest, the odds of coming up with this combination, even minus the heat processing, is probably smaller than being crushed by a meteor.

Old 06-01-07, 09:29 PM
Lecterman
The Guadfather

Bikes: Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought some hemp milk the other day and it is the first plant "milk" I didn't like too much.

Too much aftertaste...
Old 06-01-07, 09:46 PM
EJ123
djentleman

I saw on a site I usually get powder protein from, the hemp protein. I thought it was from nuts, but I'm not sure. I tried oat milk today also. Now that is good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.