Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who makes best Ti frame / bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Who makes best Ti frame / bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 06:56 AM
Norcal_Cyclist

Bikes: '08 Madone 5.2 Perf, '94 Trek 8700, '72 Gitane TdF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been researching this quite a bit recently, as I'm ready to get off carbon fiber after 15 yrs. Moots and Seven are the 2 top contenders for me. If I can get Moots to provide a brushed finish instead of the bead blasting (any scratches on a brushed frame can be removed with a scotch brite pad), I'll be ordering my Compact VERY soon (I was given a basic "fit" by a dealer and told my torso is longer than my legs and as such I would fit a compact better).
Old 08-20-09, 07:28 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
My Merlin "standard" road frame is nearly 10 years old and is wonderful. Rides great, looks great.
Old 08-20-09, 07:53 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Of course you know my vote.

Actually if I were going to buy a new Ti bike, I'd be really interested in a Litespeed Archon.

One of the things I like about my CF bike is a stiffer front end, and the Archon supposedly gives carbon like stiffness with their wrap around approach.

Several people I know with an Archon love it.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-20-09, 08:25 AM
grahny
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lynskey, because I own one and it's frickin' awesome... it's also the only Ti frame I've been on, so to just throw out names of well known Ti builders with no actual personal experience for comparison would just be dumb.
Old 08-20-09, 08:38 AM
Yangster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lynskey definetly.
Old 08-20-09, 08:47 AM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Norcal_Cyclist
I've been researching this quite a bit recently, as I'm ready to get off carbon fiber after 15 yrs. Moots and Seven are the 2 top contenders for me. If I can get Moots to provide a brushed finish instead of the bead blasting (any scratches on a brushed frame can be removed with a scotch brite pad), I'll be ordering my Compact VERY soon (I was given a basic "fit" by a dealer and told my torso is longer than my legs and as such I would fit a compact better).
Nice but Indy Fab shot peens its frames. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_peening
Old 08-20-09, 08:48 AM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdmposer
merlin/spectrum.
Riding a Merlin Agilis now. It's quick handling, stiff and pretty smooth over ruts, cracks and chip seal.

I figure I'll give it to my son when he's tall enough in five years and then get a Spectrum with internal cable routing and tuned just a bit softer for century rides. For total Fred points, I'd probably get rack eyelets built into it.

I'm sure most on this thread know, but Tom Kellogg was (perhaps still is) the guru frame designer for Merlin, and runs Spectrum as a custom shop.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 08-20-09, 08:54 AM
chzman
Mad Scientist

Bikes: Dean TI fixie... Viner ProComp... NEXT pink sparkely!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hos13
I would like to have a custom dean frame.
I love my Dean frame. They weren't quick in building it for me, but it is beautiful. Any of the premier builders will give you a great product, but a custom frame from Dean will run 500-1000 less depending on the model, and the quality is amazing...

Old 08-20-09, 09:05 AM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chzman
I love my Dean frame. They weren't quick in building it for me, but it is beautiful. Any of the premier builders will give you a great product, but a custom frame from Dean will run 500-1000 less depending on the model, and the quality is amazing...

That's a beautiful bike, but I wonder why you went for Ti over steel for a track bike? Anyway, it looks great.
Old 08-20-09, 09:11 AM
chzman
Mad Scientist

Bikes: Dean TI fixie... Viner ProComp... NEXT pink sparkely!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
That's a beautiful bike, but I wonder why you went for Ti over steel for a track bike? Anyway, it looks great.
Thanks. Truth be told, this bike has never been on a track; it is just a low maintainance road bike without gears. Plus, I just wanted a Ti frame, and my geared bike is steel.
Old 08-20-09, 09:22 AM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man the BF ti crowd must be a really nice group of folks! No trashing at all.

I will add that I really love my Titus Ti. Worth a look.
Old 08-20-09, 09:58 AM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We save it for the CF crowd.

Old 08-20-09, 10:25 AM
cuattop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love my Lynskey.
Old 08-20-09, 10:37 AM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is that face you're making due to the disbelief that they'd charge so much for a bicycle having such an unattractive font used for the decals/paint?
Old 08-20-09, 10:38 AM
Lamp-Shade
Bulimic Arsonist.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for moots, they know what they are doing....and their logo looks and reads cooler than "Leeeyyyyynnnnskey".
Old 08-20-09, 10:51 AM
UGASkiDawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lynskey helix /thread
Old 08-20-09, 11:16 AM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing to think about is whether you prefer round tubes (e.g., Merlin)or shaped (e.g., Litespeed, Lynskey). I'm more of round tubes guy, although I think I could be tempted by an Archon.

Old 08-20-09, 11:18 AM
Norcal_Cyclist

Bikes: '08 Madone 5.2 Perf, '94 Trek 8700, '72 Gitane TdF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Val23708
Nice but Indy Fab shot peens its frames. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_peening
Ok.....but why? Per the link you provided (and my own background in metals/materials as a Structural Engineer), "shot peening can increase fatigue life from 0%-1000%". Great, but does Ti have problems with fatigue? Quick answer is NO. My post referred to a surface finish that is easy to fix any scratches - not adding fatigue life to a material already know for good fatigue resistance. The bead blasting is just a different surface finish, as opposed to a method to induce various stresses to improve material properties.
Old 08-20-09, 11:20 AM
Lazyrider
Banned

Bikes: Isaac Impulse, Litespeed Solano, Mongoose Bosberg, Trek 5500, (recently sold Litespeed Classic, Scott Speedster Flat bar)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People tend to leave Litespeed off the "Ti to buy" list only because how ubiquitious they are (were) when in reality, they are just as good as any of the high end brands. I have owned 3 Litespeeds and sold off 2. But I kept my Solano which I rode this morning 35 miles before work.

It is super smooth as no carbon frame will ride as smooth as a good ti bike and the weight as seen here is 16lbs 11 ounces. So no weight penalty. It isn't as stiff as my carbon Isaac, but I am no slower on this frame.

So, keep an eye out for a Litespeed Icon or Siena or even an Archon at a good price and you will not be disappointed.
Old 08-20-09, 12:06 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chzman
Thanks. Truth be told, this bike has never been on a track; it is just a low maintainance road bike without gears. Plus, I just wanted a Ti frame, and my geared bike is steel.
Ok, I just didn't see a brake so that's why I asked.
Old 08-20-09, 12:59 PM
Dick Rhee
Shoebomber

Bikes: 2008 Canyon CF Pro w/ Chorus, 2005 Moots Vamoots w/ Ultegra, 1988 Cannondale commuter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Norcal_Cyclist
A brushed Moots frame is possible - here's a link to a RBR post from a guy who did just that. https://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=89486

Personally, I prefer the Moots' standard look, and the finish has held up well over the last 4 years. I haven't babied my frame and it needs little more than some lemon pledge to get it back to nearly new condition.

Last edited by Dick Rhee; 08-20-09 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-20-09, 01:36 PM
wanders
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Airborne.
Old 08-20-09, 02:59 PM
Grambo

Bikes: IF Ti Crown Jewel, Moots Mooto X RSL 29er, Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Lynskey Pro Cross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Val23708
Indy Fab.
+1000. I have two Ti road bikes and my IF Ti Crown Jewel is perhaps the best bike I have ever ridden. It is much better than my Litespeed Liege. I have also test ridden several high end CF road bikes and IMO the IF wins hands down (when I say test ridden I'm talking about bikes I have rented on vacation and spent several days in the saddle .... not a 15 minute spin around the block at my LBS). I realize I am biased but a buddy of mine who races has ridden my IF and confirmed that it is truly a sweet ride.

Unless you are a very serious racer I would say that a nice Ti frame will provide far superor ride vs. CF. I bet if you plied PCad with several beers he would agree even knowing he was dissing his vaunted Cervelo. Don't want to start another CF vs. Ti rant but why would you want a plastic bike
Old 08-20-09, 03:33 PM
speedemon

Bikes: Seven Cycles (Ti) Litespeed (Ti) Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After owning my Litespeed for a few years I have decided to go for a cream of the crop titanium. Don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with the Litespeed as I consider them to be one of the best production builders in titanium. But moving on to the upper echelon I wanted a top custom titanium bike. I have looked at many titanium builders lately before making another purchase on my second titanium bike. My overall pick for a custom was down to a Serotta or a Seven as Seven was my final choice. I have looked at Deans, Eriksen, Independent Fabrication, Lynskey, Moot, Titus. I seriously looked at the Moots and didn't like their finish on their frames as the beaded finish looked much unfinished. Most everyone else had the brush frames which are nice.

These are my current bikes:

Old 08-20-09, 03:42 PM
crazyskillz07

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik B
What wheels are those?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.