Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hybrid Introduction thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Hybrid Introduction thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 11:09 AM
Holmes375

Bikes: Trek FX 7.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Friends call me Holmes, 57 years young, call Wyoming home.

Been riding a GT LTS-4000 since '98, locally, around the prairie, and in the Tetons. Wanted a more road worthy and modern all-around ride and my LBS is just now assembling my 7.5 FX with a set of 37c Conti Contacts. I should get a test ride later today and this evening I'm goinf to pop a pair of SD-7 stoppers to replace the stock 3s. Rather jazzed about the new ride!

Also an avid sea kayaker - inland lakes actually - just returned from the Tetons and Yellowstone with my strip built boat. That WCoastPeddler handle looks familiar!

Amateur photographer who loves the natural world and all things canine. I got into bikes due to my photography interests. They go so well together and bikes get me into places without disrupting the natural world to the degree motorised vehicles do.

Nice place y'all have put together here.
Old 08-19-09, 01:28 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
Hi, I'm Ryan. I'm 16, and I got into biking a year ago when I got my first good bike at a garage sale. (Schwinn Traveler Road bike) I started riding my GT Timberline MTB when I decided to try and get a better road bike. I still haven't gotten around to finishing a road bike for myself, but I've hybridized my MTB a bit, and it's fast enough now I don't have much motivation to get around to finishing the road bike.

I'm hoping to get a bike related job when I graduate from High School, so this summer I've been flipping bikes to learn how to work on them, and make some money. Most of my riding is to garage sales, looking for bikes and other stuff. It sucks that it only works well in the summer, as now I'll probably have to look for a job again. I was working at McDonalds, but I quit because they cut my hours, and I was making more money with bikes anyways.

Maybe I should try bringing my camera on a few rides... What type of camera do you have Holmes375? I have a DSLR and I'd be kind of worried about shocks from hitting bumps damaging it.
Old 08-19-09, 02:52 PM
WCoastPeddler
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Holmes375
Also an avid sea kayaker - inland lakes actually - just returned from the Tetons and Yellowstone with my strip built boat. That WCoastPeddler handle looks familiar!
Yeah, I like to kayak.

Last edited by WCoastPeddler; 10-22-09 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-19-09, 05:36 PM
ntime60

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I'm Steven. I'll be 53 in about a month. I returned to riding in May after a 34 year hiatus when I purchased a Trek 7.3 FX in an effort to change my lifestyle. I got tired of being tired going upstairs and it became time to do something about it.

I usually hang out in 50+, Bicycle Mechanics, Clydesdale's and Athena's, and lurk in general.

My other interests is Astronomy, photography, nature, things that go fast, and computing.

Last edited by ntime60; 08-19-09 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-19-09, 06:00 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Arrowana

Maybe I should try bringing my camera on a few rides... What type of camera do you have Holmes375? I have a DSLR and I'd be kind of worried about shocks from hitting bumps damaging it.
Hi and welcome.

I, too, carry a camera on rides these days. I got myself a neat little digital that takes quite impressive pictures - and it plugs into one's computer for really fast downloads for use. It's a Canon PowerShot A1000 IS.

And this is another cannon I shot with my Canon:

Old 08-19-09, 08:50 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Old post

And, that's me and my ride. Not exceedingly interesting, but there you go.

Last edited by Kat12; 06-14-20 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-19-09, 09:07 PM
moneal

Bikes: Trek Lime, Cayne Rambler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm Margaret, 48, and I live in a small town in NE Georgia. I bought 4 bikes in one year and my family thinks I'm a little crazy, but the BF forums comfort me. My first bike was a Trek Lime... an expensive mistake, but oh well... I have a flat bar folder, a Jamis Commuter 3 and a Trek FX 7.2. The Trek FX has changed my life... well that and bar ends. I and the FX recently did the 31 mile option on a challenging century (lots of climbing) and it was a great experience.

I LOVE biking to the grocery store. I LOVE going out of town... putting my bike in the back of my truck and stopping for a quick ride. It's the best way to travel.
Old 08-20-09, 04:56 AM
KShep
Zensunni Wanderer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Panthers007
And this is another cannon I shot with my Canon:
that's quite a cannon. Canon PowerShot G6 here.
Old 08-20-09, 06:22 AM
Error

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello All

I'm Vladimir from Croatia, 29 y old. From day to day less car more bike is my moto .....
ATM having 7100 Trek for 6 years ..... hope will buy new FX soon :-)

Sorry on my english it hasen't bee in use for some time ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDt1W...layer_embedded
Old 08-20-09, 10:55 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
I'm Bob and I am a 51 y.o. pastor of a church in the mountains of west central NH. My 2003 Cannondale Comfort 600 reintroduced me to cycling after 10-15 year break. I have a nice collection of six vintage Schwinn road bikes, ('62 Continental to a '83 Paramount) so, I've mostly been in the C&V sub forum.

The C-Dale has served me well and I continue to tweak and modify it to suit my needs. Hopefully by September I'll put up a thread about since it is sort of a one of a kind bike. I'm glad to see the Hybrid Forum start as I felt guilty when I posted about the C-Dale in C&V.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 08-20-09, 11:31 AM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Love the 'line cartoon' you have, Vladimir. Welcome aboard! Don't worry about your English. Mostly Americans here - and they can't speak it too well either.
Old 08-21-09, 08:21 AM
Steve in MA

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix comp (SRAM Rival), 2009 Trek 7.3FX, Early 80's steel frame Suteki road bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone -

I'm new to the forum, but not to cycling. Been riding as long as I can remember (since my first toddler tricycle?). I'm 38, and live in Western Massachusetts.

My current main ride is a 2009 Trek 7.3FX....love this bike. It replaced a 25 year old Japanese road bike that would have needed some major work this year, and I decided not to put any more $$$ into such an old bike. I put about 100 miles a week on my 7.3, usually one 40+ mile ride on the weekend and a few shorter (15-20 mile) rides during the week after work.

Eventually, I plan get a new road bike for my longer rides and events, and make the Trek more of my utility/shorter distance bike. When I do that, I'm thinking I'd add a rack to the back, so I can carry more stuff for local errands, etc.
Old 08-25-09, 09:01 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I'm Luddite. Ok, that's the name of my hybrid for security reasons, I don't post my IRL name here as it's extremely unique and it would be easy to hunt me down and steal my bikes, heh.

I'm 35 years old and I have a 28 year old boyfriend (he asked ME out, I aint no Cougar.) I don't have children, I'm an Office Slave and I loathe it, been in this line of work for something like 8 years and it's time for a change so I'm going to be studying Anthropology starting in September.

I'm a vegetarian, I enjoy photography, movies, music, warhammer online, baking, riding my bike, my pets blah blah blah.

I have a Nikon D40 and a Pentax Asahi K1000.

My hybrid is an Asama "Luddite" that I got in May. I've put around 1000 km on it since that time.

eta: I'm a girl
Old 08-25-09, 09:23 PM
Big_e
Strong with the Fred

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My name is Ernest and I'm 43 years old. I chose Big_e as my forum name because my friends call me Big_E but at 5'7, I'm not that big at all.

I started biking about 2 years ago now and lost alot of weight because of it. My goal is to be able to ride in and complete centuries and longer rides. To this end I have signed up with RUSA and Lone Star Randonneurs. I've completed one metric century so far and it was a Populaire (no membership to the club required).

I'm a city employee with the city of Dallas and have about 7 more years until I can retire. I've been flirting with the plan of opening a coffeehouse but still need to settle some financial matters.

I'm single and live with my three dogs Daisy, Mojo and Blinky.

Ernest
Old 08-25-09, 09:25 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'8.5" I have a GSD/Siberian Husky named "Juneau," and a pet rat named "Sterling," and a Betta fish named "Pinky."
Old 08-26-09, 12:31 AM
mijome07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Hi. My name is Mike. Reside in Sunny Southern California. I am 32 (soon to be 33). Never been married. No kids. I enjoy cycling, poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Old 08-27-09, 01:43 PM
Pax
Yup

Bikes: Electra Townie 7d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I'm Mickie, I'm soon to be 49, have a lovely partner who has put up with me for the last 20 years, and I ride a 7.5FX (when my knee allows it) and a Trek 1500 WSD, I absolutely LOVE the 7.5 and wish I could ride it more.
Old 08-27-09, 02:19 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Pax
Hi, I'm Mickie, I'm soon to be 49, have a lovely partner who has put up with me for the last 20 years, and I ride a 7.5FX (when my knee allows it) and a Trek 1500 WSD, I absolutely LOVE the 7.5 and wish I could ride it more.
Am I reading right that your knees bother you on the 7.5FX but not on the 1500?

If so, you probably just need some tweaks on the 7.5FX to fix that.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-27-09, 02:34 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Arrowana
I have a DSLR and I'd be kind of worried about shocks from hitting bumps damaging it.
I plan to start taking some rides with my DSLR, a Sony Alpha 300, and I discovered that Ortlieb has a camera insert for their Ultimate handlebar bags...

It is a bit expensive to get an Ortlieb and the insert, so I am thinking of going to the local place that does foam padding and seeing what I can do to fit some foam into a less expensive bag... Or maybe the Ortlieb insert in a less expensive bag of similar size might be an option.

I will probably end up with a trunk bag on my front rack with some sort of foam insert. Probably enclosing he foam in a lint free cloth of some type to keep specks of foam from getting into the camera and/or lenses.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-27-09, 02:39 PM
Pax
Yup

Bikes: Electra Townie 7d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
Am I reading right that your knees bother you on the 7.5FX but not on the 1500?

If so, you probably just need some tweaks on the 7.5FX to fix that.
No, the 1500 is garage wall jewelry for now. My right knee is a sad little lump of ruination (four surgeries) and when it's having a "moment" I can't ride for a few weeks.
Old 08-27-09, 03:37 PM
MorganRaider

Bikes: '10 TREK 7.7 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, my name is Randy. Live in NE Cincinnati OH. Started biking (seriously) on my birthday a few weeks ago. I just turned 48. I feel extremely blessed to have gotten an '09 TREK 7.6FX for my b-day. I really need to lose weight and get fit.

I call myself Morgan Raider because I got tired of trying to come up with a clever name. There is a historical marker on our bike trail that explains it was formerly the Little Miami Railroad. During the civil war the confederate side had Morgan's Raiders. Using guerilla war tactics, they wreaked havoc on the train, tracks, and the area in general. Not that I wreak havoc on the trail. I just ride while trying to dodge deer (and inline skaters )
Old 08-27-09, 03:54 PM
TexasEdit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK ... so I've been away from the forums for awhile because life got a little crazy -- your wife having twins will do that to a family ... and when I get back there's a Hybrid forum********** ... All I can say is, AWESOME!
Old 08-27-09, 05:59 PM
MorganRaider

Bikes: '10 TREK 7.7 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasEdit
OK ... so I've been away from the forums for awhile because life got a little crazy -- your wife having twins will do that to a family ... and when I get back there's a Hybrid forum********** ... All I can say is, AWESOME!
Congratulations to you and your wife on the new babies !!
Yeah this new "hybrid" forum seems to be picking up some steam.