Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Recent Shipping from NYC

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Recent Shipping from NYC

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 01:56 PM
krojo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recent Shipping from NYC

Hi All,

I just paid $218 to ship a bike from NYC to San Diego. It was a lightweight bike packed in a standard roadbike box (53" x 33" x 8"). I shipped FedEx ground. This is staggeringly expensive. Fortunately, the recipient paid. He had bought the bike from me on ebay.

But I'd like to ship a couple of my own bikes to CA where I'll be living. What is a better way?! Has anybody tried to ship via Amtrak from Penn Station? Other ideas?

Thank you,
Rob
Old 03-21-17, 02:48 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
https://www.bikeflights.com/ship

40lbs box (road bike) NYC to San Diego - FedEx Ground - 4 days - $63.
Old 03-23-17, 08:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18428 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Another vote for bikeflights.com

I try to do one tour out west every year. I have shipped with them to MT and SD a total of three times. Great results each time. They are a discount broker for FedEx shipping, so you are 1not dealing with some fly by night shipping company. When you buy shipping from bikeflights they email you a FedEx label and you take it from there. You can even drop off the bike at any FedEx/Kinko's location and avoid the $5 pick up surcharge.

Keep in mind that the price can be affected more by size that weight. My large CrateWorks Pro XL-C case has a total dimension of 86". Your box was 94". Even with Bikeflights I have played around with quotes on the web site. Dropping from a total weight of 70 lbs. (estimate for 60cm Surly LHT, box weight, racks, stove and fuel bottle) to 50 lbs. didn't lower the price. Strongly suggests that the size is primary price driver.