Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone Going to the Trexlertown, PA Swap on 5/13?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-23, 08:11 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts

I will be there with a table and 24.5" Raleigh International no one seems to want...... Anyone else going/selling?
Old 04-26-23, 08:42 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
Unfortunately I have my daughter's graduation that day. That International is fantastic and would love to see it in person.
Old 04-26-23, 09:00 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,009 Times in 517 Posts
My son lives about an hour away in Ephrata. He is travelling right now, otherwise I could use it as an excuse to go visit. An eight hour one-way trip is a bit much for a couple hours at a swap meet.

Do they have other dates on the calendar?
Old 04-28-23, 05:39 PM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
I reserved a table yesterday so I guess I'm going! Not sure what I'm bringing yet. I have several boxes of new parts that need new homes.
Likes For kingsting:
Old 05-12-23, 01:26 PM
fender1

Just a bump to remind folks to stop on by if you are at the swap! I am in Section 3, Row P, Booth 3.
Likes For fender1:
Old 05-13-23, 01:59 AM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
Just a bump to remind folks to stop on by if you are at the swap! I am in Section 3, Row P, Booth 3.
I’ll be heading out in an hour or so. Lots of vintage Campy (including Super Record short group), mid-range Japanese stuff, etc etc. Early 70s Italian Masi Gran Criterium frameset, B. Carre frameset, Cuevas frameset, etc etc. VAR tools. Lots of freewheels. Modern and Bobish stuff and bikes.

Section 25, Row F, Booth 15, right in the middle of all the action!

Hope the turnout is better than last fall! Not sure of the wisdom of holding it on Mother’s Day weekend. And showers in the forecast…

Definitely a buyer’s market!

Last edited by JunkYardBike; 05-13-23 at 02:10 AM.
Likes For JunkYardBike:
Old 05-13-23, 05:03 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Fall Meet

I understand the Fall meet is a lot better. I will be in Allentown for a Three day conference. Afterwards, it's over to the track before I fly home!
Old 05-14-23, 11:32 AM
fender1

As a quick update:

This event was "meh" in my opinion. Attendance seemed low and my location at the show as not great.
Seems that the interest in C&V at this level is waning as well. Lots of folks asking for vintage BMX, some vintage MTB but mostly modern road/gravel & track bike stuff seemed to be where the interest was.

I had broken down the Raleigh international I have posted about previously but still no go.

Zero offers and no takers on the International frame, fork, headset, brakes and Campy seat post bolt, at an offer price of $200.
Zero offers and no takers on any of the Campy NR components, save a high flange hubset w/ skewers for $75. Buyer was using them to make a BMX wheelset....
Late 60's PX10 Frame set, fair condition with the original headset and stem etc. no offers, no takers at $100
Dawes Super Galaxy touring frame (531) with post, stem, headset & brakes $100. No interest.
No offers or interest in almost any other components (Suntour Cyclone RD & FD for $40? Too High...Ok, make and offer? No. Ok.
Sold every kickstand and and vintage handlebar mirror I had. Sold all the 1 1/8th stems. Sold some old bags.
Made a large donation at athe end of the swap to a local co-op.
Anyway, this will be my last swap for the foreseeable future. I will just hang on to what I have

nikkorod and I took to wearing safety vests and carnival barking to get people to our location. At least we entertained ourselves for the day!

Sold the Cannondale MTB for $160. Full Suntour XC group. White Cannondale, fully serviced and near perfect condition, no interest at $100

Only the Bianchi sold for $100. Campy 700c Wheelset, $50? Nope. Would I take $15? Nope

Deal of the day was the 1974 Brooks Pro for $50. Sold the other 2 Brooks together for $20 at the end of the day.

Most of that was the cash I brought to make chAnge and it wasn’t needed.

These robot dance move’s actually resulted in the sale of 2 complete Lemond road bikes. Gotta give the people what the want!

Last edited by fender1; 05-14-23 at 11:41 AM.
Likes For fender1:
Old 05-15-23, 04:46 AM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
As a quick update:

This event was "meh" in my opinion. Attendance seemed low and my location at the show as not great.
Seems that the interest in C&V at this level is waning as well. Lots of folks asking for vintage BMX, some vintage MTB but mostly modern road/gravel & track bike stuff seemed to be where the interest was.
That’s a great write up. At least you had the best view in the venue: the actual track! It was much more fun to sell down there in years past.
The turn out was much better than the fall swap, but still light compared to years past. Apparently we were also competing with Brooklyn’s Bike Jumble that was being held on the same day.

Agree with your market assessment. The fever for high end vintage stuff is waning. The clean Campy NR and SR stuff used to sell before the gates opened. When the flippers aren’t buying you out you know the market is soft.

I sold an NR crank for $50, a SR RD for $55 and a pair of Tipo high flange hubs for $40 I think. Also gave away the Masi GC to the one interested buyer (he’s a long time collector) for $250. I may be forgetting a couple smaller things, but that was mostly it for vintage sales. Most buyers are interested in budget modernish road and mtb stuff and BMX stuff as you said.

No one even glanced at any of my vintage steel frames, but my wife’s mid-2000s Trek road and comfort bikes both sold. So she recouped more than I did!

Time marches on. It’s not all bad news, especially for people just getting into the vintage scene. It should be much more affordable. Too bad for schmucks like me who bought high and are now selling low!

Here was my spot and the view from my spot. Same spot as in the fall but they decided to reconfigure the area differently than their advertised map, so I went from the center of the venue to a corner. Thanks a lot velodrome organizers!

Last edited by JunkYardBike; 05-15-23 at 05:10 AM.
Likes For JunkYardBike:
Old 05-15-23, 05:46 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Thanks for the reports. I'd been thinking about maybe driving down, too many other things going on, but a nice Brooks Pro for $50? Campy hubs for $40? I wish I had made the trip! And if that PX-10 was 62cm I'd really be kicking myself now.
Old 05-15-23, 06:08 AM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

I always enjoy this show but turnout seemed a bit light. I don't think they advertise this one very well and moving it from the first weekend in May (When they used to do it, pre-covid) to the second didn't help things.
We were competing with Brooklyn (I talked to three guys who set up there and they did very well), Mother's day weekend, and the threat of rain (That stayed just south of us and the weather was perfect for a swap)
C&V road bikes have been a bit soft in this area for a while now. I did sell my World Voyageur so it's not dead yet. Seemed like everyone wanted inexpensive modern riders, vintage BMX & Mountain, and Sting Rays.
I had a great time, sold a few pieces, picked up a killer Raleigh roadster, and got so see a lot of my bike buddies. We'll try again in the fall!
Likes For kingsting:
Old 05-15-23, 06:42 AM
nikkorod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It was a great day despite being put behind the concession stand and about half a mile from the actual event. The good thing, was me not having to put anything else back in the car to return home with me. it's fair to say that the vintage bike thing is over imo. Soft market with the younger folks being more interested in BMX and E-bikes.
Likes For nikkorod:
Old 05-15-23, 09:37 PM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 188 Posts
Brooklyn Bike Jumble was the same day as Trexlertown, so I missed T-Town again. The Jumble was great though, huge turnout and many more vendors selling parts than I've seen in years. In the past few years it started skewing heavily to complete bikes only and that made it hard to sell parts. This year, even if half of the parts for sale weren't vintage, it got folks looking for parts in general. I did about $1K in sales, which is pretty decent for me. Y'all vintage collectors aught to come to the September Jumble this year!
Old 05-16-23, 06:37 AM
kingsting
Bicycle Repairman

Originally Posted by Catnap
Brooklyn Bike Jumble was the same day as Trexlertown, so I missed T-Town again. The Jumble was great though, huge turnout and many more vendors selling parts than I've seen in years. In the past few years it started skewing heavily to complete bikes only and that made it hard to sell parts. This year, even if half of the parts for sale weren't vintage, it got folks looking for parts in general. I did about $1K in sales, which is pretty decent for me. Y'all vintage collectors aught to come to the September Jumble this year!
Everybody I talked to did well at the Jumble. I'm glad to hear it bounced back! (Now I want to go just to get something from Bagel World!)

Hopefully fall Velofest will be in October again and not competing with Brooklyn.