Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bladder control in cold weather riding!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bladder control in cold weather riding!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-13, 01:24 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
We've got a couple of local riders on randonneuring rides with similar issues. What they do is stop every 29 minutes or whatever it takes. Some are more discreet about it, some less so. It's part of life, you're not the only one. Riding in rural areas helps. If you're careful, you can stop and pee while still straddling the bike. And with those local riders, usually, it's a couple of stops near the first of the ride, then less often thereafter.
Old 11-17-13, 01:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
It is one big downside to Bib shorts.. as a base layer ..
Old 11-17-13, 05:18 PM
mprelaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Also a sign of prostatic hypertrophy, benign or malignant. A large fraction of men suffer from this, increasingly so as age increases. Perhaps the astronauts have a work-around?

I wouldn't be overly concerned over either if frequent urination only happened outdoors in colder weather.
Old 11-17-13, 05:26 PM
burns

Bikes: 4 Trek y foils a vintage campa bike and a mountain bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mprelaw
I wouldn't be overly concerned over either if frequent urination only happened outdoors in colder weather.
This device looks rather sexy! Is it dedicated for the section 50+? And where should you stick it in in case of Need?
Old 11-17-13, 08:56 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Perhaps the astronauts have a work-around?

Don't know about the astronauts, but SCUBA divers have devices( one for males and one for females) called a P-Valve that allows urinatiion even while submerged. Maybe adaptable to cyclists?
Old 11-17-13, 09:07 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I don't get it. I pee in pools under water all the time.

If you pee from the diving board you can get in trouble.

Old 11-18-13, 10:19 AM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not a diver, but it might have something to do with pressure that makes peeing below a certain depth difficult for them?
Old 11-18-13, 01:06 PM
WC89

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gforeman
Man, this is killing me. In the summer, I can easily crank two hours before having to relieve myself. When the weather is cold (less than 60 F, is cold for me), I can barely make it 30 minutes before being in pain.

I can only attribute this to not sweating it off. Problem is, I have to make sure I don't go further than my pit-stop allows. No way to go in the woods since I have to drop my drawers to go.

I hate this, I could still do more, if not for the pit stops.

The other problem is, once I pull those bike shorts down, it is darn near impossible to get them back up, not to mention all the layers of clothes I have on (bike shorts, long underwear, then regular shorts)

I have such an issue with muscle cramps that my trainer told me to drink a lot when riding, be even cutting back on the water doesn't help.

Sometimes I can barely get in the door after 30 minutes without...well you know.

Not ready for depends YET! But I wish I had a solution.

Am I the only one with this problem?
Sorry, but I'm not getting why it's no way to go in the woods, or why the drawers have to "come down" to urinate, even with multiple layers on in cold weather, assuming you're a male. With that said, I can sympathize, as I usually have to pee 2 - 4 times in a 3 hr ride. It does seem as though cold weather makes me need to pee a little more than in warm/hot weather. I do drink a lot of water but my need to pee has not outweighed my need to hydrate, even in cold weather. Heck, I havn't had a straight-thru sleep at night in 18 yrs, since when I began drinking water, due to my having to go pee 3 - 4 times per night. Fortunately, since where I ride consists of suburban/semi-rural/rural roads, there are plenty of places (usually wooded or partially wooded) that are easy enough to relieve myself with a modicum of privacy. I wear bib shorts on every ride in all four seasons, but I wear them as an outer layer; with either non-bib tights or non-bib knickers worn under the bibs. No problems I find with strecthing the fronts down of the bibs and tights enough "to hop the fence."
I don't get the people who never have to pee, seemingly. I have company b/c there is at least 1 other guy I ride with that has to go as much or slightly more than I do. I just accept it as a part of life as a water-drinker - just lucky i guess that I have plenty of places to pull off behind some trees and go, along all of my loops.
Old 11-18-13, 04:29 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Man, this is killing me. In the summer, I can easily crank two hours before having to relieve myself. When the weather is cold (less than 60 F, is cold for me), I can barely make it 30 minutes before being in pain.

I can only attribute this to not sweating it off. Problem is, I have to make sure I don't go further than my pit-stop allows. No way to go in the woods since I have to drop my drawers to go…

But I wish I had a solution.

Am I the only one with this problem?
I was gratified to read about this phenomenon a few years ago, called “cold diuresis.” A nice explanation is provided in Outside Magazine:

Originally Posted by Outside Magazine
What you’re experiencing is called cold diuresis, a phenomenon that occurs for reasons that are not entirely clear. One theory that remains popular—though it has been contested—explains how it works like this: When your temperature starts to drop, your body will attempt to reduce heat loss by constricting blood vessels and reducing blood flow to the surface of the skin. When that happens, your blood pressure will rise, because the same volume of blood is flowing through less space in your body. In response, your kidneys will pull out excess fluid to reduce your blood pressure, making you have to pee. “A full bladder is a place for additional heat loss, so urinating will help conserve heat,” writes Rick Curtis, the director of Princeton University’s Outdoor Action Program.

There is no set temperature that will induce cold diuresis, as age, gender, body composition, diet, and even posture can influence whether or not it will occur. In an oft-cited study from more than 60 years ago, researchers found that exercising moderately while exposed to the cold can prevent cold diuresis.

As for cold-water induced urination, researchers believe that a different mechanism may also be at play. The 2006 edition of the book Hypothermia Frostbite and Other Cold Injuries: Prevention, Recognition, and Treatment says rather than—or in addition to—urinating because your body is trying to stay warm, it’s possible that the hydrostatic pressure of the water on the skin squeezes fluid from your limbs into your core, from which it is then excreted.
Prior to googling this, I had thought that the above-described vascular constriction model was the mechanism.

Here in Massachusetts, there are stories (? urban legends) about scofflaws diuresing in public being tagged as Level I sex offenders. So one has to be careful. I live in downtown Boston, and after about 45-60 minutes riding, I'm out into suburbia where the car is king. So I'm pretty comfortable going into Dunkin Donuts or Burger King, etc. with my bike and quickly doing my business.

I don't ask permission, and I've never been refused. I have a very expensive bike and don’t carry a lock because I don't (usually) let it out of my sight. I know there are no guarantees, but I figure in suburbia, one would not abandon their car to leave with the bike, and it would take too much time to load it into an outside vehicle. Also a cyclist is conspicuous enough in such joints that taking a bike would be a blatant act. I suppose I could roll it into the bathroom. In any case, I would not stop at a fast food joint in an urban, pedestrian neighborhood.

Just last week at one of my favorite pit stops I offered a cash token in lieu of being a paying customer, but was waved off.
Old 11-18-13, 06:29 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by burns
This device looks rather sexy! Is it dedicated for the section 50+? And where should you stick it in in case of Need?
That not-exactly-sexy device is a condom catheter, or external catheter. Can be connected directly or via a tube to a collection bag.
Old 11-18-13, 07:16 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
It is one big downside to Bib shorts.. as a base layer ..
+1

It's the reason I switched from wearing bibs back to shorts for the longer winter rides (I can still do my commute in bibs, since it's less than an hour - just need to make sure to "empty the tank" before starting out)
Old 11-18-13, 07:43 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I don't get it. I pee in pools under water all the time.

If you pee from the diving board you can get in trouble.
Ha-Ha!

Except for folks in the mid-west, who hasn't peed in the ocean, while on a family outing to the beach?

Back on topic: Yes, I have experienced the "Gotta Go" Problem. Aggravating, it is. (My best Yoda voice)

Solutions: If possible, try to know the locations of any porta-potties in the area. There are some behind the mini-stadium at Boston college
law school campus. They are there year round. I've made use of them. If they are locked, (sometimes) the woods further back do beckon.

Night riding: If you can find a nice quiet road after dark, do a quick traffic check. No traffic for the next minute or so? You're all set.
Warning here: Raccoons tend to become very upset when someone else uses their pee places.

I have noticed that as I age, the cold, say below 40, bothers me more than it once did. So, I keep my off-season rides short, usually
no more than 1.5 hours. I'm not a racer, so I'm not tied to any kind of training regimen.
Old 11-18-13, 09:00 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
Frequent urination is a classic sign of diabetes so have a blood test to rule that problem out to be safe.

I agree with you100%. I think, however, that the OP was referring to cold weather riding.
Old 11-18-13, 09:11 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 575 Posts
I have the same problem. Both riding and on the golf course. Fortunately, most all my riding is in rural areas where there are plenty of convenient places to pull off.
Old 11-19-13, 12:12 AM
hiller

Bikes: Schwinn Median, Marin Fairfax SC-6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're cold on the bike, try a little intensity to generate body heat, like sprints or hilling. It'll stave off having to go for a while longer but you'll still need to go frequently. It's not so much age but overhydration.
Old 11-19-13, 03:57 AM
burns

Bikes: 4 Trek y foils a vintage campa bike and a mountain bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JanMM
That not-exactly-sexy device is a condom catheter, or external catheter. Can be connected directly or via a tube to a collection bag.
Can be connected directly or via Youtube to a collection bag? Are you sure?

Old 11-19-13, 07:22 AM
skycomag

Bikes: Nashbar trekking bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
more options

look here:https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...&q=penis+clamp
Old 11-19-13, 12:43 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I agree with you100%. I think, however, that the OP was referring to cold weather riding.
True, but what harm is a blood test to know what the cause is********************

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 11-19-13, 02:40 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My morning commute takes nearly an hour, no problem in the summer, but in the winter, I found I had to stop once, sometimes even twice, to relieve myself. As a result, I stopped drinking coffee before the ride and now just have coffee once I get to work. This has worked very well, and it does get cold in Vancouver in the winter.

What I've also found is that what you eat has a lot to do with need to urinate. If I just have carbs (granola & yogurt) for breakfast, I find I just stop way more often than if I have lots of fat & protein (eggs, hash browns, sausages).

Not sure if the issue has become any greater as I have aged. I am riding way more now than I used to when I was younger, but not as intensely. But I am finding that bladder control is starting to become more of an issue.

And a lot of this need is psychological. You could be absolutely dying for some hidden place to stop and take a leak, but then some car cuts you off, and you forget all about having to find a toilet.

Luis
Old 11-19-13, 03:41 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
True, but what harm is a blood test to know what the cause is********************
The earlier that diabetes is caught, and a person makes the right lifestyle/treatment changes, the less chance there will be of complications. The best way to determine if one is a diabetic is a full glucose tolerance/a1c test. One single blood test, even if fasting, may not be enough for an accurate diagnosis. Stress, for example, can raise glucose levels. I test higher when I'm undergoing something stressful in life. Most doctors would use a glucose level of greater than 200 mg/dl two hours after taking the glucose test liquid, combined with an a1c of greater than 7.0, as a threshold diagnosis. Or 7.5 depending on whether they follow the ADA or the AACE protocol. Not sure which one uses the higher standard.
Old 11-19-13, 09:35 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
No harm at all. That is why I agreed 100% with the suggestion.
Old 11-20-13, 05:47 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mprelaw
The earlier that diabetes is caught, and a person makes the right lifestyle/treatment changes, the less chance there will be of complications. The best way to determine if one is a diabetic is a full glucose tolerance/a1c test. One single blood test, even if fasting, may not be enough for an accurate diagnosis. Stress, for example, can raise glucose levels. I test higher when I'm undergoing something stressful in life. Most doctors would use a glucose level of greater than 200 mg/dl two hours after taking the glucose test liquid, combined with an a1c of greater than 7.0, as a threshold diagnosis. Or 7.5 depending on whether they follow the ADA or the AACE protocol. Not sure which one uses the higher standard.
When my wife was pregnant with our first child 29 years ago, the OB wanted her to do a glucose tolerance test--she was quite distraught. She was distraught because a relative of hers did one, many years earlier, and the relative committed suicide. I knew it wasn't any use telling a pregnant woman that the two incidents were coincidental--I called the doc and asked if there was an alternative. The doc stated that if she had a large breakfast with juice and carbs included, she could come in 2 hours post meal for a blood test. I bet you guess which option she chose. Of course, I had to join her during the meal so she didn't eat alone, *wink*.

A blood test won't hurt and, if you are diabetic or pre-diabetic, it's best to find out early.
Old 11-20-13, 02:44 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
My morning commute takes nearly an hour, no problem in the summer, but in the winter, I found I had to stop once, sometimes even twice, to relieve myself. As a result, I stopped drinking coffee before the ride and now just have coffee once I get to work. This has worked very well, and it does get cold in Vancouver in the winter.

What I've also found is that what you eat has a lot to do with need to urinate. If I just have carbs (granola & yogurt) for breakfast, I find I just stop way more often than if I have lots of fat & protein (eggs, hash browns, sausages).

Not sure if the issue has become any greater as I have aged. I am riding way more now than I used to when I was younger, but not as intensely. But I am finding that bladder control is starting to become more of an issue.

And a lot of this need is psychological. You could be absolutely dying for some hidden place to stop and take a leak, but then some car cuts you off, and you forget all about having to find a toilet.

Luis
The human prostate continues to grow as we age thus restricting bladder flow out i.e.........
https://www.webmd.com/urinary-inconti...f-the-prostate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostate

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 11-20-13, 08:04 PM
the fly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is not a NEW thing, I go through it every time the weather gets cold. My rides are in well populated areas. Dropping them and going will get you registered as a sex offender around here.
Nothing to add really, just once I made a point to ride to a local park where there was a portajohn because I reaaaaallllayyy had to go. I get there and the portajohn had disappeared. Lucky no one was there, but I was still supernervous. don't really need the sex offender thing on the resume.
Old 12-10-13, 01:11 AM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have to read the post twice regarding sex offender thing . SO , if you are caught pee behind a tree with your bike by the police you will be charge as a sex offender ? . Are you telling me the police can not see you in bike kit / bike and doing the nature call .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.