Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southwest
Reload this Page >

Road biker looking for area to retire. Tucson?

Search
Notices
Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Nevada

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-18, 05:14 PM
Curly1

Bikes: Stumpjumper-- I LOVE IT!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wife and I are looking to relocate to the south west. We want an area that does not get too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer. Bicycling is also important to us, particularly road biking. We have heard great things about Tucson biking and "The Loop". We're also interested in parts of New Mexico. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
Old 02-24-18, 05:20 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Go for it!
Been in Tucson area for 40 great years1
Old 02-24-18, 07:59 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Curly1
My wife and I are looking to relocate to the south west. We want an area that does not get too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer. Bicycling is also important to us, particularly road biking. We have heard great things about Tucson biking and "The Loop". We're also interested in parts of New Mexico. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
Tucson does get very hot in the summer.Can always head north in the summer.Do not know much more about Tucson.I'm starting to look around also.I like smaller cities.Most of the places with the best weather grow to big for us.

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...on-retire.html

Last edited by Joeyseven; 03-05-18 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-04-18, 02:00 PM
Howard70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
We live about 40 mi S of Albuquerque near Belen, NM. Great rural roads for cycling, but tremendous potential for cycling gravel/ditch roads. I have a 70 mile loop from my front door on gravel / sand / banks of irrigation ditches through the cottonwood Bosque along the Rio Grande that only touches pavement to cross four roads. Our summers are cooler than Tucson, but our winters are colder (little to no snow). Downsides are fewer cultural opportunities than Tucson/Albuquerque, windy springs, and not much climbing close by.

If you're thinking of mountains, you might look into Silver City, NM. Fantastic climate and you can watch the Tour of the Gila from your front door!

Howard Snell
Old 03-04-18, 03:08 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven
Tucson does get very hot in the summer.Can always head north in the summer.[/URL]
Or up. Quicker to gain altitude than to head north. Going up to Mt. Lemmon or other ranges surrounding Tucson can get you to a markedly cooler climate.
Old 03-04-18, 03:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3270 Post(s)
Liked 2,104 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by Curly1
I think the key is elevation. Go north where it's not too high an elevation, or stay south and stay high.

I think Albuquerque, at just over 5,000 ft., likely has a near ideal temperature range all year, it can get hot and up to 105 or so in summer, but doesn't keep those temp's at night, so morning rides are tolerable. Winter sees colder temps., but rarely really cold and if you migrate from the NE US then the 40's is likely tolerable. Not too bad a road network, somewhat penned in by the Sandias to the east, the pueblo's north and south, but generally enough to get decent variations.

As comparison to Santa Fe to the north and 2,000 ft higher, where it can get very, very cold, yet has more tolerable summers and as good a road network.

Both area's have very good mt. bike and gravel road options as well.
Old 03-04-18, 04:14 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Or up. Quicker to gain altitude than to head north. Going up to Mt. Lemmon or other ranges surrounding Tucson can get you to a markedly cooler climate.
I meant travel out of state for the summer or hot months.I knew A few sunbirds that traveled to Northwest or even
Northeast in their RV or trailer.

Last edited by Joeyseven; 03-05-18 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-04-18, 04:54 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven
I meant travel out of state for the summer or hot months. I knew A few snowbirds that traveled to Northwest or even
Northeast in their RV or trailer.
Yes, I know. Just pointing out that an alternative that is also used by quite a few people in Tucson is to spend time (or live) at higher elevations during the summer. Easier for many than going so far away. Of course those we referred to as 'snowbirds' actually lived in more northern states and just came down to Az for the winter.

When we lived in Tucson I didn't move but I did spend many weekends hiking up high in the surrounding mountains. We also scheduled bike club rides very early in the morning so we'd be done by the time it really started to get hot.

Last edited by prathmann; 03-04-18 at 05:10 PM.