Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Sugino 75 / ISO compatibility

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 09:51 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

I was just fishing around for a new cog and stumbled on this:

https://www.suginoltd.co.jp/us/info/20160206001.html

Despite the blurred photograph, that "not compatible" bottom bracket is pretty obviously the Tange ISO, which is my setup.

Comments?
Old 01-30-19, 01:56 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jlafitte
I was just fishing around for a new cog and stumbled on this:

https://www.suginoltd.co.jp/us/info/20160206001.html

Despite the blurred photograph, that "not compatible" bottom bracket is pretty obviously the Tange ISO, which is my setup.

Comments?
pretty simple, sugino mostly uses ISO. So if your bb has a JIS taper spindle,it’s not compatible. This is certainly true for their track cranks, like the 75. They’ve always been ISO. I believe their 130bcd cranks use JIS though. Did you not know the 75s were ISO? Not know your bb was JIS? What is it that you want to discuss? The simple answer is that you should replace your bb with an ISO. You don’t absolutely have to though, and if your setup is working fine, then no problem. Doesn’t mean you won’t develop problems down the road though.
Old 01-30-19, 09:20 AM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
What is it that you want to discuss?
Dude, no offense but it appears you didn't read carefully.

Put more simply:

1. As of February 2016, Sugino says that their 75 cranks are not compatible with ISO bottom brackets
2. I have Sugino 75 cranks on an ISO bottom bracket.
3. What do others with this setup have to say. Problem? No problem?

That's all, thanks.
Old 01-30-19, 10:26 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
It was obvious that your question had nothing to do with using JIS bottom brackets with Sugino 75s or any other Sugino crank, but rather about their "safety caution" that their ISO square taper is different from, and not compatible with any other maker's ISO BBs...

When I had a set of 75s for a little while, back before 2016, after searching around here on the subject - based on strong recommendations at the time from another know-it-all member who seems to have moved on, I mated mine with a 68x109mm ISO Protype sealed BB. FWIW, in their own description now, Protype states that at least in their case - Sugino's call-out is total bull****.

In the limited time that I had my 75s, they worked flawlessly with that Protype bottom bracket. When I took the arms off and pulled the BB out of the frame to change to a different crankset - to my eyes all tapers looked to be in perfect shape. I can't comment about Sugino 75 cranks being good, or not, with other "right-sized" bottom brackets; or if their claim that they are definitely not, is real or a ploy to pump up sales of their own matching BBs, especially the newer sealed version that came out around the time they issued their warning. You will have to be the judge

Good luck...
Old 01-30-19, 04:00 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks man, this is what I was hoping to hear.

I'm inclined to believe it's more than coincidence that Sugino's "important notification" was simultaneous with the introduction of the 75 sealed BB. If it had been available I would have bought it. The Tange BB is running great however, so I won't swap it out unless I hear about some damaged cranks.
Old 01-30-19, 06:41 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
I hate to rain on your parade, but Sugino is completely correct in their assertion that their Sugino 75 crankarms will not seat properly on non-Sugino ISO 109mm bottom bracket square taper spindles. How do I know this ? Well, I transferred the Sugino 75 crankarms from my 2006 Bianchi Pista Concept to my Wabi Lightning, and changed from the non-sealed Sugino 75 track BB to a sealed Tange ISO 109mm BB. After tightening the crankarm bolts to 30 ft-lbs, they were not fully seated, and the markings from the ends of the original Sugino spindle were clearly visible beyond the end of the Tange spindle. Also the chainline is off by a couple of millimeters, consistent with the crankarms not being fully seated. Having said this, I have not experienced any problems with this setup such as creaking sounds or loosening. I am using a flexible 3/32” 8-speed chain, which may explain why there are no problems resulting from the chainline being off, although even with a 1/8” chain I doubt it would be noticeable. So, it’s possible that I have damaged the taper on the cranks, but unless I try to reinstall them on a “proprietary” Sugino 75 BB spindle, I doubt it will make a difference.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 01-30-19 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-31-19, 01:03 AM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Sounds like the final word on the matter. Thanks TT. Considering my front chainline is spot on at 42mm, these cranks must be pretty well gouged?
Old 01-31-19, 11:08 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by jlafitte
Considering my front chainline is spot on at 42mm, these cranks must be pretty well gouged?
Well, if you forced them on to the point of seating as shown in the Sugino photo of their own BB spindle, then probably yes. However, this just means that you reformed the taper on the crankarms to match your ISO BB spindle. As long as you don’t revert to a Sugino 75 BB, you should be fine. Like I said, I’ve put several thousand miles on mine after the change to an ISO 109mm spindle BB without experiencing any problems.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me