Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you Oil Pivot Points Regularly?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-31-21, 10:32 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts

I have learned the hard way what riding around in gritty/wet conditions does to your lines and derailleurs in the absence of some fenders.

Since then, I make sure to regularly scrub down the pivot points and springs on both derailleurs as well as on my side-pull brakes .

I have some jig-a-loo oil laying around, silicone based stuff which i don't think is very ideal for bicycle application, at least not for your chain because it washes off very easily. I like it because it doesn't seem to attract must dirt and grit specifically to the areas you are trying to keep clean.

I carefully spray a few dabs of oil onto the small pivot points found on the corners of my derailleur body front and rear after scrubbing those areas down. I also try to spray a bit of oil into the lines. It makes the shifting remarkably smooth.

This is especially important for my old Dia-Compe side pull brakes, as I find that they are constantly in need of some re centering. Keeping the pivot points greased, clean and oiled helps with braking feel/effort tremendously.

Since then, i have had zero issues with my front derailleur failing to return to first gear properly due to grit stuck inside the spring, and shifting has been much more smooth and seamless.

As for the chain itself, I am planning to buy some bike specific lube, such as WD40 for bikes.
Old 01-31-21, 10:47 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
I have learned the hard way what riding around in gritty/wet conditions does to your lines and derailleurs in the absence of some fenders.

Since then, I make sure to regularly scrub down the pivot points and springs on both derailleurs as well as on my side-pull brakes .

I have some jig-a-loo oil laying around, silicone based stuff which i don't think is very ideal for bicycle application, at least not for your chain because it washes off very easily. I like it because it doesn't seem to attract must dirt and grit specifically to the areas you are trying to keep clean.

I carefully spray a few dabs of oil onto the small pivot points found on the corners of my derailleur body front and rear after scrubbing those areas down. I also try to spray a bit of oil into the lines. It makes the shifting remarkably smooth.

This is especially important for my old Dia-Compe side pull brakes, as I find that they are constantly in need of some re centering. Keeping the pivot points greased, clean and oiled helps with braking feel/effort tremendously.

Since then, i have had zero issues with my front derailleur failing to return to first gear properly due to grit stuck inside the spring, and shifting has been much more smooth and seamless.

As for the chain itself, I am planning to buy some bike specific lube, such as WD40 for bikes.
I always squirt some lube into the derailleur and brake pivot points after I wash the bike, since this involves some indiscriminate squishing about with a soapy sponge and a hose rinse (because I’m a lazy git, this is every couple of months, at most). Components are going on 20 years and >60,000 miles and still perfect, so something’s going right. I would suggest something other than WD40, which is more volatile carrier solvent than lube, as a chain lube. There are any number of actual chain lubes out there, including dry lubes (cleaner, but best for dry climates), wet lubes (better for wetter climes), wax, homebrews combining engine oil and spirit, even plain ol’ 3-in-1
Old 01-31-21, 11:26 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Litespud
I always squirt some lube into the derailleur and brake pivot points after I wash the bike, since this involves some indiscriminate squishing about with a soapy sponge and a hose rinse (because I’m a lazy git, this is every couple of months, at most). Components are going on 20 years and >60,000 miles and still perfect, so something’s going right. I would suggest something other than WD40, which is more volatile carrier solvent than lube, as a chain lube. There are any number of actual chain lubes out there, including dry lubes (cleaner, but best for dry climates), wet lubes (better for wetter climes), wax, homebrews combining engine oil and spirit, even plain ol’ 3-in-1
there is actually a wd40 oil specially for bike chains. Not the generic canned stuff.

You suggest using wax for the chain? Could be a good idea. Repels water. Is mixing engine oil with spirit worth it? What about rubbing some petroleum on the chain?
Old 01-31-21, 01:31 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
A bit of lube on pivot points is a good idea. About once a year, say 3000 miles, I remove the crank assembly for cleaning as grit accumulates there. About the same frequency, I spray lube the shifters with Slick 50. I think this helps as I always feel better afterwards.
Likes For berner:
Old 01-31-21, 03:03 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
OP...I know you're busy w/ tons of random posts from all the threads you've started but don't you think this thread should logically be in 'bicycle mechanics'? I realize that no one cares and just posts every damn thing in GD but think about it for a second...makes sense, right?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-31-21, 03:59 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Nope. If I took care of stuff I wouldn't have an excuse to buy a new bike part.

Last edited by hillyman; 01-31-21 at 04:20 PM.
Likes For hillyman:
Old 01-31-21, 04:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,466 Times in 7,307 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
OP...I know you're busy w/ tons of random posts from all the threads you've started but don't you think this thread should logically be in 'bicycle mechanics'? I realize that no one cares and just posts every damn thing in GD but think about it for a second...makes sense, right?
He wouldn’t get the attention he needs there.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-31-21, 04:38 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
The forum also has a search function… Or Google would work pretty well, too.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
He wouldn’t get the attention he needs there.
That’s the only conclusion I can come to.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-31-21, 04:41 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I live in a wet climate that necessitates the need for constant cleaning. Almost after every ride, especially in the winter. I put a drop of 3in1 on the brake and DR pivot points after washing and I wax the chain about every 100 miles-sooner if it starts making noise. The hubs, BB, and head all get serviced once a year during the dry week we might have during the summer. I have found waxing to be the best for my climate and I don't get oil stains on my clothes if I accidentally rub the chain. Of course it helps that the room where I do my chain waxing also has a pool table and a large screen TV so it's not a bother waiting for wax to melt. Just saying...
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 01-31-21, 04:55 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
With a bike similar to Moisture, I don't think any oiling is required.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 01-31-21, 05:32 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
A few drip drops of Tri-Flow on the pivot points and move on. Is this for the 920????
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 01-31-21, 05:49 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
A few drip drops of Tri-Flow on the pivot points and move on. Is this for the 920????
Good one
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-31-21, 08:50 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by cubewheels
Like right now, I'm doing close to 500 km between lubes (wet lube) if riding conditions is completely dry.
That’s it? You need better lube.
Old 01-31-21, 08:55 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Ah.. a lube topic.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 01-31-21, 10:07 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by cubewheels
I ride in very gritty road conditions. Very often there's lots of dust blown over the roads by the wind and I also frequently ride in roads made incredibly dusty by trucks transporting sand and cement and some of these sections are relatively technical gravel, badly damaged road sections (broken apart by those heavy trucks) that never got fixed.

My bike gets this dirty in just couple days of riding in the same route. The dusty sections are often muddy even if the weather is dry (blocked drainage, construction, etc). Full fenders are utter necessity because what made those mud is often sewer water!. I've grown tired of cleaning the bike everytime, I just leave it be in its muddy glory!
Whatevs. Make sure you lube your pivot points.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-01-21, 09:13 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
If I've learned anything from lube threads, combining all of the answers into one general principle:

Do what works for you. If it doesn't work for you, try something else.

What works for me is "whatever was in the house when we moved in, plus whatever I'm trying to get rid of." So the specific brands don't matter. One is a light mineral oil in a bottle labelled ZOOM SPOUT OILER, Contains Highest Quality TURBINE OIL. It's redeeming feature is a refillable bottle. I think I filled it with motor oil. A refillable oiler means you no longer need to be brand conscious about your oil.

I'm trying to stop using oils in spray cans, since most of the stuff goes everywhere but where it's needed, and it's a waste. My garage floor doesn't need any more oil. Ski wax is bad enough.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 02-01-21, 09:21 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Pivot points are actually simple machines, levers actually. Since they are, yes they do need to be oiled. And I do recommend oil, not WD40 or some other high priced mouse milk!!! Just plain oil will do just fine.
Old 02-01-21, 09:29 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Whats a good durable oil that lasts through wet conditions you guys can recommend me? For either derailleurs/side pullers and chain
Old 02-01-21, 09:40 AM
Koyote

Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Whats a good durable oil that lasts through wet conditions you guys can recommend me? For either derailleurs/side pullers and chain
For once, why don't you try the search function? Go read all of the lube threads before making another post.

See you in a hundred years.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-01-21, 09:43 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Mink oil.

keeps their coats shiny and you never hear them coming.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 02-01-21, 10:29 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Koyote
For once, why don't you try the search function? Go read all of the lube threads before making another post.

See you in a hundred years.
Not a very kind response.
Old 02-01-21, 10:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Not a very kind response.
It wasnt meant to be a kind response.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-01-21, 11:11 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Sorry to hear that. Everyone should try to be civil.
Old 02-01-21, 11:12 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Sorry to hear that. Everyone should try to be civil.
Old 02-01-21, 11:13 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
On a VW forum i moderate we has so many "what oil should I use" topics that we setup a single "Official oil topic" and lock all others and redirect the OP to it. We currently have over 4500 post in it.

Happy reading.
Likes For GlennR:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.