Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I've never had a 'hardcore looking' cyclist help me.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I've never had a 'hardcore looking' cyclist help me.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 11:39 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Sell the suicide brake levers.
Old 09-08-16, 11:39 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by SC WIS
I don't know what to call people that have the REALLY expensive road bikes and wear special clothes with clubs or advertising on them.
A cyclist.

Yes, most people on the trail I was on we're courteous but while a few people on a ride actually stopped to help me without me even asking them for help a guy on a expensive bike ride by and the people assisting me tried to get him to stop and he just kept going and even looked back but just kept going.
Did you ever think that maybe he had places to be? Maybe he had to get to work? Or get home to take his wife to the symphony? Or maybe he was training for an event ... and it's actually really rude to interrupt someone who is in the midst of a training routine. Or maybe you all just looked suspicious?

He was minding his own business ... you're not his business.

EDIT: I'll also add this ... if I cycle past a group of people stopped by the side of the road (you said, "a few people" on the ride stopped to help you, so you were in a group of people), I probably won't even slow down. I figure that a group of people should have everything under control and me stopping isn't going to help the situation at all. You don't need an audience all standing around while you make an adjustment on your bicycle or something.

Last edited by Machka; 09-09-16 at 04:18 AM.
Old 09-08-16, 11:48 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
I had a flat on my road bike while on a trail 30mi from my house and I tried asking other cyclists for help, I know a lot of dedicated cyclists (what I mean by hardcore looking cyclists is cyclists that have really good road bikes, are dressed in cycling clothes etc I'm only 15 and new to the cycling world)
We're all frauds. We look like we have all the tools to fix your flat, and we secretly wish we could help you, but the uncynical truth is that we're all simply terrified at seeing another cyclist (especially one who's only 15) who reminds us how fragile our ease of forward progress really is.

Bring your own tubes and take care of yourself. And others if you want the world to not suck.
Old 09-08-16, 11:49 PM
SC WIS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My point is that there was many, many people that wouldn't stop but the first casual rider I asked stopped and was happy to help me, and that time it was 3 women and one guy that were in a group that helped me.

Not one even said good luck or something, I've had 3 people fly by me on a bike trail while I was walking up a hill that at the time I couldn't climb and they were cussing me out.

I don't expect or want everyone to go out of there way for me but when I needed help and I get completely ignored, by so many people, and its only serious cyclists that ignore me and others it gets to me.

Every time I see someone that looks like they need help I'll slow down and an asks them, even if I got to the level of some of the people that ignored me (which is my eventual goal) and I was training I'd stop to help someone even if it unconvinced me. Maybe it's just a Wisconsin thing.

Last edited by SC WIS; 09-08-16 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-09-16, 12:01 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
Here's a term you'll hear again: Diffusion of Responsibility.

Everyone assumes that everyone else will help you. (Even you.)
You can use this episode as an excuse to decide that people suck, and never stop to help every hapless numbskull you come across who went riding without the essentials...
...or you can remember this and never ride past another rider (even someone who appears foolish and has a chip on their shoulder) without offering help, and bring the essentials on every ride not only for your own selfish preservation, but for the helping of others.
Old 09-09-16, 12:07 AM
SC WIS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Sell the suicide brake levers.
Didn't know what those were called, looked it up. If i could make them breake better that'd be great cause I rarely ride using the drop bar, I feel like I should use the drops more so maybe it's my seat height, I hardly ever 'get up' to pedal harder. I think I have tons of bad cycling habits, I also coast in a position where my right foot is fully extended, resting/pushing on the pedal and my left just hangs down.
Old 09-09-16, 12:10 AM
benaroundawhile
Banned.

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every time I see someone that looks like they need help I'll slow down and an asks them
Assuming this is true, and I have my doubts, how are you going to help someone when you can't even help yourself?
Old 09-09-16, 12:17 AM
SC WIS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let them use my phone if they need to, or see what / if i can do anything to help, it's just being a courteous.
Old 09-09-16, 12:22 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Not one even said good luck or something, I've had 3 people fly by me on a bike trail while I was walking up a hill that at the time I couldn't climb and they were cussing me out.
Well no one is going to stop for you in that situation!! They're all busy climbing the hills themselves. Were you in their way?

I've walked up many hills and no one has ever stopped, nor would I expect them to. What on earth could they do to help me? Whether I can climb a hill or not is completely my problem/circumstance/situation ... it is no one else's business.
Old 09-09-16, 12:22 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
The "hardcore cyclists" you saw might've been on a training ride, recording their time & distance in Strava, or whatever. Stopping to help you would negatively affect their goals. Taking the bike out of the equation, if your shoelace came untied and you didn't know how to re-tie it, would you expect a runner who's training for a race to stop in their tracks and tie it for you? On the other hand, more casual cyclists -- even lycra-clad ones on nice bikes -- are less likely to be riding with such purpose and thus may be more likely to help.

The lack of people stopping to help isn't the big issue here, though. The root of the problem, like other people have already pointed out, is that you weren't prepared to handle a foreseeable problem yourself and you expected others to go out of their way to help you. Many of us are happy to help and would show you how to repair a flat, but we shouldn't have to, and you shouldn't have such a sense of entitlement that you'd expect it.
Old 09-09-16, 12:24 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Didn't know what those were called, looked it up. If i could make them breake better that'd be great cause I rarely ride using the drop bar, I feel like I should use the drops more so maybe it's my seat height, I hardly ever 'get up' to pedal harder. I think I have tons of bad cycling habits, I also coast in a position where my right foot is fully extended, resting/pushing on the pedal and my left just hangs down.
You only use the brakes while in a drop bar position when you really seriously need to brake suddenly. Otherwise you should be able to reach them when you are on the hoods.

Here's a thought ... maybe start developing some good cycling habits now and other cyclists might start taking you more seriously instead of thinking you're just kind of fooling around out there.
Old 09-09-16, 12:31 AM
Zukoda

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dang - and I thought my 8 year old daughter whines a lot... Kid - READ and UNDERSTAND what these guys are telling you... Get some tools, a tube, a pouch to pack them in, and then learn how to use them. It really is NOT THAT DIFFICULT. If you expect someone to help you, you better make sure you have tried to help yourself first.
Old 09-09-16, 03:15 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I will apologize in advance for my bluntness. Do you look like the boy next door or the boy who would try to break into the house next door. Image is everything and being cool has its price. Hope your future encounters with cyclist are more favorable.
Old 09-09-16, 03:29 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
There is an old adage in cycling that few really take notice of:

Ride your own ride.

It effectively means you have to look after you (ie, have your own repair kit), because you simply can't rely on (a) someone else stopping to help you or (b) anyone actually being around where you have the problem or (c) them also having the stuff to do your repair.

Having said that, it is a rare occasion when I have had a problem, that a cyclist of any level hasn't slowed to ask me if I am OK.
Old 09-09-16, 04:51 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
True, but I'm 15 and don't have lots of money, plus I was asking for help and I'd think most people would at least see what I needed help with.
This isn't really other people's problem and I doubt it's much money.

My point wasn't that I had a flat, It's that the tryhard cyclist won't give anyone the time of day. (I ended up calling a friend to pick me up. I'm 15 and I've only had that one tire go flat, I already carry 4 bottles and snacks on my longer rides, so I don't know if I'd have room. I definitely will get those things if I get more flats though.)

I've had my crank loose and tried to ask a pro looking cyclist if I should keep going or not, I sat on the trail for an hour (I was 25mi from home btw) until I gave up!!
You are complaining about other people not doing so staying while not doing something yourself (being prepared).

Help yourself and be prepared.

4 bottles? You shouldn't need more than two. How long are your rides?

It's standard practice to have the stuff to fix flats and be able to fix them yourself.

It's actually common courtesy to have all the stuff to fix a flat on your bike. It's actually (somewhat) rude not to have this stuff.

You may be using a bike that the "pro" cyclist isn't prepared to fix (your bike might not have quick releases or might have wider tires).

I'd say going on 55-75mi rides by myself, leaving at 6am, and diving into long rides like that without hardly any training is self sufficient.
You prove you are wrong by not being able to fix a flat. Relying on other people to help you is what "not self sufficient" means!

If you saw someone that crashed and is injured but they don't have helmet on would you just go by them? Not the same thing, but it's just courteous.
If it's not the same thing, why mention it?

I know I can change a flat and I have before, I just never thought about being 30 mi form home as I just started to really get into cycling, I definitely should have things like that and I will when i have money for that.
So, in the mean time you are choosing to be a nuisance to other people?

Maybe, the other riders don't stop because they expect you aren't prepared.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-09-16 at 05:31 AM.
Old 09-09-16, 05:16 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by jimb100
Judging by this thread, a lot of cyclists must have really bad karma.
No.
Old 09-09-16, 05:22 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Machka
Yes, but .... how would another cyclist know that??
By looking?

A reasonably competent/experienced cyclist should be able to assess whether basic mechanical issues might effect ridability. Such problems could happen on their own bike.
Old 09-09-16, 05:48 AM
njkayaker

I suspect that "pro" cyclists are more likely to ask stopped cyclists if they need help if thee stopped cyclist also looks "pro". By "pro" I mean looking like they have some experience. That is, a "pro" cyclist might ask a tourer (who might not look like a "pro") if they need help.

There's some expectation that a "pro" cyclist is prepared to fix basic issues (like flats) themselves. Which means they typically won't need help. If the stopped "pro" cyclist says that they do need help, the problem is likely serious (a flat isn't serious). It's more likely that they are farther from there start too.

Very few casual cyclists are 25 miles from home. Most of them are likely a short walk from where they started (which would make just walking back a better option to deal with issues).

In a place with lots of cyclists (or people), there may be an expectation that other people have been asked and the problem is unfixable. In that case, stopping and helping is pointless.

If there's already a crowd, there is even more reason not to stop.

How many people are required to stop?

If there are lots of cyclists/people around to help, I'm not likely to want to be the 10th person to ask "do you need help?"

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-09-16 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-09-16, 05:54 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Probably the reason that no hard core fully kitted racer boy wont stop is the fact they have not one ounce of tools or tubes with them. They too seem to have the racer boy instinct that if some one is broke down, that is one less competitor at the "finish" line.

OTOH I have a trunk pack on the back of both my bent and trike. They are both filled with tools, tubes, patches, and most anything I think will get me home without having to walk. Anytime I come across someone broke down, I always stop and ask if I can help. Maybe it is just a midwest attitude.
Old 09-09-16, 05:59 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
The troll is strong in this thread.
Old 09-09-16, 05:59 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
I'll call Troll on this as well. If not, then you should not ride again until you have the means and aptitude to fix your own flat. Flats are a part of cycling and are to be expected. If you can't fix your own you should find another hobby.
Old 09-09-16, 06:02 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by rydabent
Probably the reason that no hard core fully kitted racer boy wont stop is the fact they have not one ounce of tools or tubes with them. They too seem to have the racer boy instinct that if some one is broke down, that is one less competitor at the "finish" line.
People have a right not to be required to deal with other people's lack of preparation (it's rude not to be prepared).

Originally Posted by rydabent
Anytime I come across someone broke down, I always stop and ask if I can help. Maybe it is just a midwest attitude.
No, it's common to ask even outside of the Midwest.
Old 09-09-16, 06:04 AM
SC WIS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Well no one is going to stop for you in that situation!! They're all busy climbing the hills themselves. Were you in their way?

I've walked up many hills and no one has ever stopped, nor would I expect them to. What on earth could they do to help me? Whether I can climb a hill or not is completely my problem/circumstance/situation ... it is no one else's business.
I wasn't expecting them to stop either...
Old 09-09-16, 06:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Man! This forum is full of trolls. He's new to the cycling world yet he ruined three cranks over a year ago? Here is a tip, folks: When you come across "class warfare" posts like this, check the OP's post history.
Old 09-09-16, 06:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'll call Troll on this as well. If not, then you should not ride again until you have the means and aptitude to fix your own flat. Flats are a part of cycling and are to be expected. If you can't fix your own you should find another hobby.
Yep. See my recent [pst in this thread. Guy is an obvious troll.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.