Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 01-18-19, 10:54 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
44F, clammy, swung by the Capitol to drop something in the UPS box

Old 01-18-19, 11:08 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
If you light is properly adjusted, as you indicate it is, then the guy indeed has nothing to complain about. Likewise, you are right to let them know that they are just as annoying as the blinding light people for riding without lights.

That said, the blinding lights thing is real.
I could help the guy a lot, and guys like him, with regards to headlights. How do deal with them, how to use them. But that's not going to happen unless he specifically asks me, and because one of the most annoying common foibles is unwanted instruction. Particularly from the inexperienced sorts. They will either learn eventually or give up, generally the latter.

One thing that isn't happening is my turning off my lights for folks to head at me in the dark, just because they don't know to look away.
Old 01-18-19, 03:55 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 111 Posts
Should be an interesting ride home, to say the least.

4" of snow on the ground and still falling. 9F with the temps dropping. 21 mph headwind making for a -11F windchill.

No speed records will be set.
Old 01-18-19, 04:14 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I could help the guy a lot, and guys like him, with regards to headlights. How do deal with them, how to use them. But that's not going to happen unless he specifically asks me, and because one of the most annoying common foibles is unwanted instruction. Particularly from the inexperienced sorts. They will either learn eventually or give up, generally the latter.

One thing that isn't happening is my turning off my lights for folks to head at me in the dark, just because they don't know to look away.
Well, you can label it as unwanted instruction, but I don't think it's always out of place to let someone know they are doing something wrong. Sure, I can stare straight down at the ground in order to avoid a light in my eyes, but why should I be forced to do so by someone else's negligent and selfish behavior. It's also pretty dangerous in some situations.

Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
21 mph headwind making for a -11F windchill
Ouch, that sounds brutal.
Old 01-18-19, 06:13 PM
wphamilton

Him singing out again tonight, the bike I'm riding this time is aimed down only 10 feet ahead and on dim. @robertorolfo you're not visiting Alpharetta GA are you
Old 01-18-19, 06:24 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Him singing out again tonight, the bike I'm riding this time is aimed down only 10 feet ahead and on dim. @robertorolfo you're not visiting Alpharetta GA are you
Ha, definitely not. I'm still stuck in my Manhattan office. And there is no way I'd say anything about a dim light pointed 10 feet ahead. Maybe he has other "issues" he is dealing with? What sort of bike is he riding?
Old 01-18-19, 07:23 PM
wphamilton

Upright and flat bars, and turning his new light on and off to demonstrate what he wants, I dunno it's usually too dark for details. I don't think he's totally whacko though. It does remind me of my motto "don't engage the crazies"
Old 01-19-19, 03:22 AM
bulevardi

Bikes: L'Avenir Urban, Cannondale Bad Boy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 22 Posts
Today at -4°C ... during polar vortex

I arrived alone at the railway station this morning.
Old 01-19-19, 11:31 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
From today’s NYTimes. The AP photographer found these guys in Wisconsin

Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-21-19, 08:53 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

So Friday's ride home was a notable one. By the time I left the office we had 4"-5" of snow on the ground with 20+ mph winds blowing it around and making for some drifts. The temp was somewhere around 8F and the wind chill was around -11F. To get home I had to ride straight into the wind. The plows had only cleared off the main thoroughfares, which meant every car in town was trying to use those roads. I opted to take the MUP even though I'd be riding through uncleared snow.

I knew it would be a slow ride on the MUP, which didn't really bother me. Given the temps the snow was powdery and hadn't yet been trampled down by pedestrians and other bicycles, so it wasn't too bad blazing a trail through the virgin snow. A couple of times I felt my wheels leave the pavement as this section of the trail is anything but a straight line, and I couldn't see anything but white snow so I was riding by memory. It took 1/2 an hour to go the three miles I had to ride on the MUP. So, 6 mph average. Not bad, really, considering the conditions.

Then I got off the MUP for the last mile home, which takes me up a steep hill. This road hadn't yet been plowed, but the snow had been packed down by hundreds of cars so it had the consistency of damp sand. My wheels would ride over the top of the compacted snow rather than cutting a path through it. The compacted snow didn't have much grip on the pavement, so it would slide out from under me. I had to put my bike in the my lowest "ridiculous" granny gear (22 front ring, 34 rear cog) and even then at times I had to stand up to force the bike through the muck. Holding a straight line was absolutely impossible. I'm sure I looked like a clown as I weaved back and forth across the road barely holding any speed. My odometer told me that in this one mile stretch I nearly doubled that mileage when accounting for the actual path I rode. I was so unstable that any time a car came I would pull over and let the car pass so I didn't risk suddenly darting out in front of them, which was good because my heart rate was stratospheric and I needed a rest anyway. A couple times I had to pull over without a car passing just to try and catch my breath. It took more than 1/2 hour of high intensity effort to ride that final mile. When I finally made it home, I was completely drenched head-to-toe and a physical wreck. I was so wiped out that I felt like crap the rest of the evening and actually cancelled our plans to go see a basketball game because of my condition. In retrospect I probably could have gotten off the bike and walked the last mile faster than I rode it, but where's the challenge with that?

So fast forward to this morning. Last night Google told me the temp would be about 9F for my ride to the client location. I didn't even check our thermometer when I left the house. About a half mile down the road I thought, "Sure feels colder than 9F." When I checked my phone, sure enough it was 1F with a -16F wind chill. Thankfully the wind was at my back so once I got warmed up it wasn't too bad of a ride.

When I got to the client's office, I walked in the door and saw... darkness. I'd forgotten today was MLK day and they're closed. It's not a holiday at the company for whom I work, so this fact completely slipped my mind. I weighed my options: 1. Head back out the door and fight the wind 8 miles to our office. 2. Head back home and fight the wind 4 miles there, try to work remotely and probably don't get much done with my wife and son at home. Or, 3. Just stay at the client location and work like I normally do, albeit in a completely quiet office. I opted for option 3. I'll probably get more done with nobody to interrupt me. I'll get the coffeepot to myself, and there's no risk of anyone bringing in doughnuts or bagels to temp me to eat something I shouldn't.

Don't tell anyone, but seeing as I was the only person here I decided to just change my clothes in my cube.
Old 01-21-19, 08:58 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
At work today as I had off Friday for the holiday instead. It was 19F when I left this morning. I broke up the ride by going to the gym which is about halfway. That let me get plenty warm again before continuing on. I wore an extra wind-breaking layer on the legs which made a big difference. I was comfortable all the way in.

Last Thursday's ride home was less pleasant. A light rain started before I left and continued for my whole ride. I wasn't totally soaked, but pretty wet. My knees got cold at first because of the spray (I'm fenderless) and wind, but as I rode some hills they got better.
Old 01-21-19, 09:22 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
I think today was the coldest day of the year so far, though I could be off a degree or two. The forecast SW wind was coming from the NE instead - yay, a tailwind! - and clear and sunny. With the schools and half the businesses closed, the roads were quiet. It was almost like an early Sunday morning ride, leaving late and taking my time. Nice day for a ride.
Old 01-21-19, 12:17 PM
OhLylo

Bikes: FX3 Frankenbike, Emonda SL5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
45F and light sprinkles of rain when I left home today, but that disappeared quickly. The ride was decent. My "friends" who usually sit at the bus stop and chat in the morning (and wave cheerfully to me) weren't there today, maybe because of the touch of rain. The wind was also favorable today, so there were a couple of flat legs where I was easily topping 20 mph instead of struggling, which was cool. And the Rude Compensation Truck Dude Alert Level for today is 0, which is always a good way to start the day.

However...I've got an issue with my rear derailleur. The low and high gears seem okay (9 cogs) but the 3-6 range is all out of whack, 4 especially. A lot of times, 4 just doesn't want to catch. Downshifts from 5 usually do nothing until I click it again, then I'm in 3. Going back up one from there drops me into 6, then I can click down into 5. That's actual chain position - the indicator seems right but doesn't match the chainring. Also, I'm having slipping in some lower gears as well. I had the rear wheel off last week to fix a flat, so it may be that the quick release just needs to be screwed in a bit more, or the wheel isn't seated just-so. I'll tinker with it this evening and see if I can get it right for tomorrow. I have a late start at work tomorrow so I have some extra time to troubleshoot and test ride today.
Old 01-21-19, 01:33 PM
kevincgove

Bikes: 1988 Davidson Impulse-updated with current components; 2018 Canondale Topstone Sora

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Back on the bike today after I was rained out Wed-Fri. of last week. It was crystal clear and the full moon lit the way at 6 am.
Old 01-21-19, 11:38 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Temperate and sunny today today since I didn’t have a chance to exchange the truck until afternoon. Lots of MLK day walkers and riders on the path after a rainy weekend. In the evening it’s getting to be twilight and not dark at home time.

I felt a wiggle going through the RD. It’s not supposed to do this, right?
Old 01-22-19, 07:17 AM
mgw4jc

@Darth Lefty - your link is on the blink!

Right about 18F when I left for work; 20F when I arrived. It's rare for it to be below 20F in the Charlotte, NC area. This was 2 days in a row, but looking to warm up and possibly rain the rest of the week. I feel like I had the right layers on though as I never was too cold. My eyes (clear glasses), nose and mouth are the only thing not covered. I don't feel I can breathe well enough if I cover my mouth and nose.

The moon still looked full to me and was pretty high up as I rode in this morning. It looks impressive when it is a bright, full circle like that.
Old 01-22-19, 08:08 AM
esmith2039

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Winds out of the S-SE both days this week. Kinda a pain on the way but on the way home break some records! The weather looks interesting on the way home, either rain, sleet or snow!
Old 01-22-19, 09:37 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Reasonably warm for January at 19°F. A few flurries but not enough to cause any accumulation.

Yesterday's stiff wind caused a good portion of the MUP to drift over through one park that had a large open field. I thought I could just plow through it but the snow had just enough crunch that it pretty much stopped me in my tracks. Got off the bike and pushed it through the snow for nearly a mile until I got to a more sheltered area and the MUP was clear enough to ride again. Pushing the bike through snow drifts gets the heart rate going pretty fast.

This morning the wind is supposed to shift and start blowing hard from the north, the exact direction I have to ride after lunch to get to a meeting. Not looking forward to that.
Old 01-22-19, 09:44 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
16F, with decent headwind, ice, don't know what the windchill was. I considered driving but the lure of upper 30's in the afternoon and a tailwind was too tempting. I should have listened to my better sense. In the first mile I fell - no big deal. After about 3 miles I decided this sucked and figured I'd get one of the electric cars the city rents. At the first point where I expected them there were none. A mile later at the 2nd spot I expected some there were none. Deciding I'd catch a bus I discovered my phone was dead because it hadn't charged overnight. So, I lowered my head, gritted my teeth, and pushed through. I need a nap
Old 01-22-19, 10:35 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Clear day with an early start. Drove the car to the dealer for its 100k service then biked to work. It only adds a couple miles to the normal commute. On the way I made a few observations:

1. I was underdressed. Temperature wasn't that bad, but the south wind, a headwind, was stiff and cold and then gusty.

2. The first mile was the middle of my former commute. I haven't gone that way regularly for nearly a dozen years (with a few months off for good behavior).

3. 100k mile service is going to be expensive. That would pay for all the upgrades on the custom bike I talked myself out of ordering before Christmas, with enough left over for the S&S case (but not enough for the couplers too).

4. I should have been paying attention to the route because of #2 instead of thinking about #3 ; I took a wrong turn and got lost. But I kept riding and it got better!
Old 01-22-19, 10:58 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
40F, misty. Felt really slow but strava said it was actually an average speed record for this bike. I guess it's true about 'it never gets easier...'
Old 01-22-19, 12:24 PM
OhLylo

Bikes: FX3 Frankenbike, Emonda SL5

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yesterday afternoon going home: Brutal. Stiff headwinds the whole way made it a real struggle to even maintain a paltry 10mph. I was definitely gassed. It wasn't super cold but that wind just beat me up.

This morning: Not bad. Temps hovering right around 32F meant it was a cold start but I warmed up quickly enough. I had an appointment before work so I let Google Maps guide me. That was okay until the last 0.5mi, which Linda (GPS is always Linda in my house) decided should be on an unmarked, loamy dirt path. I managed not to crash or break anything but it was slow and tricky going. After that, the slightly different route to work had more traffic and fewer bike lanes than my usual, but overall it wasn't bad, and I picked up a Strava Top 10 overall on one segment where I pushed myself pretty hard. One interesting side note there is that my legs give out way before my heart and lungs, because my max HR during that effort was only 170 and only for a brief moment. It's interesting how different cycling is from running that regard. Anyways, wind or no wind, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be slow going home today because I'm toast.

Rude Compensation Truck Dude Alert Level for today: 1, largely due to more traffic on the atypical route.

And I still haven't figured out my shift issues...
Old 01-22-19, 06:49 PM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
4 Fahrenheit in the morning, finally broke out the balaclava. 35 this evening. I almost ran out of room in my bag for all my unneeded layers.

Thick layer of ice and frozen slush on all the mup. It was slow going, but fun.
Old 01-23-19, 07:01 AM
esmith2039

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rained yesterday and snowed last night.. so snow and ice this morning. Nice virgin layer of snow in most areas made it smooth sailing, and the same with the plowed areas as it left a thin layer down. Perfect for the studded tires. 18 degree but felt like 4. Only thing cold was my feet, two layers plus my boots so not sure what's next. Thought about heating up my socks before putting them on.
Old 01-23-19, 07:30 AM
mgw4jc

A much warmer 33F this morning. Overnight chances of rain threatened to make the roads icy this morning, but it was just warm enough and the rain light enough it was a non-issue. However some schools were on a 2 hour delay anyway. They kind of have to make that call the night before I guess. I heard about one school a month or so ago that didn't make the decision until too late one morning and parents were already trying to drop their kids off.

I left a few minutes later than I like (seems to be a theme for me lately), but made up time by pushing the pace a little and taking a couple of shortcuts. About 5 minutes after I got to work, some light rain started up again. Looks to be on and off all day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.