Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

taking your Brompton for your international Flight

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 12-28-20, 05:31 PM
biaddiction

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Anyone actually brought your Brompton for your international flight and storage inside the overhead bin? Thanks! Picture would be great!!! Maybe you need to take out saddle?
Old 12-28-20, 07:43 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I did it on domestic flights as a try and do not want to repeat it. You dangle a heavy object with sharp protruding edges above passenger heads, at times at the edge of your reach. The risks are far above what it is worth.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 12-29-20, 06:34 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Does any international airline still allow this?

Because of security, you might also be refused boarding at the airport, even if the airline itself doesn't mind (happened to someone I know).

Free option: Call a Brompton store some time before leaving, and ask them to save a box for you.

Old 12-29-20, 10:38 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Is it free if it's in a box? Don't you have to pay to send it as cargo, in which case I'd think a padded suitcase would be better?
Old 12-29-20, 11:33 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Good question! Eager to read what the community knows. A Brompton is heading my way!
Old 12-29-20, 11:38 AM
Winfried

Originally Posted by linberl
Is it free if it's in a box? Don't you have to pay to send it as cargo, in which case I'd think a padded suitcase would be better?
Check with the airline, but if it's within the dimensions for checked baggages, there's no reason for extra charge. That's the point of travelling with a folding bike, especially one as compact as the Brompton.

The good thing about a carton box vs. suitcase, is that it's free, and you can just chuck it when you get there. A suitcase, on the other hand…
Old 12-29-20, 11:57 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

The issue can be of what to do upon landing, if you plan to continue on Brompton alone. A suitcase can be a problem. It might be possible to make a bag compact upon arrival, but then presumably it would not provide a lot of protection. A box can be discarded. I solved the problem on occasions by using a suitcase trailer.
Old 12-29-20, 12:09 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
Check with the airline, but if it's within the dimensions for checked baggages, there's no reason for extra charge. That's the point of travelling with a folding bike, especially one as compact as the Brompton.

The good thing about a carton box vs. suitcase, is that it's free, and you can just chuck it when you get there. A suitcase, on the other hand…
I had read airlines charge a "bicycle" fee - would that not happen if it was in a Brompton box? I guess I thought that was why people used suitcases - to "disguise" the bike.
Old 12-29-20, 12:31 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by biaddiction
Anyone actually brought your Brompton for your international flight and storage inside the overhead bin? Thanks! Picture would be great!!!
Even as compact as the Brompton fold is, it's still seriously bigger than the official carry-on dimensions of every airline I'm aware of.

The cats @ Brompton Mafia carry-on their Bs on Southwest Airline domestic USA flights using the latest generation interiors of their Boeing 737 aircraft.
Brompton 23 x 22 x 10.6
SWA carry-on 24 x 16 x 10
They say this particular airline is cool with 'too big' carry-ons.

pics @ https://bromptonmafia.com/
Likes For tcs:
Old 12-29-20, 02:34 PM
2_i 

Originally Posted by tcs
Even as compact as the Brompton fold is, it's still seriously bigger than the official carry-on dimensions of every airline I'm aware of.
Not true. Within several packing options Brompton comes at just about 62 inches of linear dimension. I have routinely traveled with Brompton in checked luggage in the Delta-KLM network. About a year ago Delta dropped the bike surcharge, but I could not figure out whether this was true for other airlines in their alliance. In any case, I was able to check in a full size bike at a Delta counter without any extra fees, even oversize.
Old 12-29-20, 03:29 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,051 Posts
I know the practice of Brompton fans is to defend any perceived slight to the bike to the death, but...

Originally Posted by 2_i
Not true. Within several packing options Brompton comes at just about 62 inches of linear dimension. I have routinely traveled with Brompton in checked luggage in the Delta-KLM network.
I said 'carry-on' baggage. You're talking about 'checked' baggage.
Likes For tcs:
Old 12-29-20, 03:40 PM
2_i 

Originally Posted by tcs
I know the practice of Brompton fans is to defend any perceived slight to the bike to the death, but...

I said 'carry-on' baggage. You're talking about 'checked' baggage.
You are right about the nature of the luggage - my mistake. However, when you slight people, they may stop responding to your posts.
Old 12-29-20, 04:50 PM
Winfried

Originally Posted by linberl
I had read airlines charge a "bicycle" fee - would that not happen if it was in a Brompton box? I guess I thought that was why people used suitcases - to "disguise" the bike.
Just wrap the box, and say it's a wheelchair.

Worked for me occasionally :-p
Likes For Winfried:
Old 12-30-20, 08:52 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
Just wrap the box, and say it's a wheelchair.

Worked for me occasionally :-p
I prefer the term “personal mobility device”. It seems to baffle them.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 12-31-20, 12:44 AM
biker101

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I have put the Brompton cardboard box into a bag, and checked it in as normal luggage on several occasions. See
mybikesite.org/#Packing
Old 01-01-21, 11:38 AM
sslonkosky

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I have one of these but haven’t used it yet. Even though it’s slightly oversized, Yan says that if you push in the corners, it looks smaller. He says in over a hundred flights he’s never been charged an oversized fee.
https://www.downtube.com/downtube-fo...soft-suitcase/
Old 01-02-21, 09:09 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
If the airline allows the bike as a carryon based on size and weight, perhaps if you had one of these to put the bike in to keep things clean and avoid damaging the bike and damaging things the bike contacts when you get onto and off the plane.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/dimpa-s...lear-10056770/

There was mention above of Southwest Air, it has been my experience that since they have up to two free checked bags, there are a lot less passengers trying to carry everything they own onto a Southwest Air flight, thus there may be more room in Southwest overheads than on other airlines.
Old 01-02-21, 10:28 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
It really depends on the airline. You would never get a Brompton as carry on luggage onto an Air Canada flight. Questionable sized bags are measured at the gate for International flights.

For checked in baggage it does not matter if your folded bike is less than 62", Air Canada sees a bike as a bike and charges accordingly. Not fair but it is their airline.

AC as instituted a new measuring device where no hands touch the luggage but is scanned for allowable sizes. Even B & W cases don't make the grade.

When in doubt call the airline that you will be traveling with. If they have documentation, print it and bring it to the check in desk.

Last, I have been on enough rough flights where overhead bins have been emptied to know if a bike came down it would not be a pretty sight. This is one of the reasons that the instructions of "put heavier items in front of you and lighter items in the bin above are given during the briefing instructions that we all listen to when getting ready to take off, right?
Old 01-03-21, 10:02 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
For checked in baggage it does not matter if your folded bike is less than 62", Air Canada sees a bike as a bike and charges accordingly. Not fair but it is their airline.
Maybe things have changed, but my S&S coupled bike was in a 26 X 26 X 10 inch case in June and July 2019 when I flew Air Canada from Ohare to Halifax NS, with layovers on both directions. The black case on the cart was the bike case.

I am certain that they knew I had a bike, as I do not trust my helmet with baggage handlers, I carried my helmet outside my bags in the airport, which includes going through ticketing. And my carryon was a rear pannier and my personal item was a front pannier, carried those in the airport too.
Old 01-05-21, 03:18 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 69 Posts
There’s a cheap IKEA bag that fits the Brompton. I think it’s called a Dimpa.

maybe worth considering as a more reusable option than the cardboard box.

Likes For Barchettaman:
Old 01-05-21, 03:28 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Barchettaman
There’s a cheap IKEA bag that fits the Brompton. I think it’s called a Dimpa.

maybe worth considering as a more reusable option than the cardboard box.

Very nice - and you could also add some thick corrugated cardboard on either side if required for a specific journey.
Old 01-05-21, 07:31 AM
Winfried

I wouldn't recommend it when flying, as it offers no protection. Do you trust airport personnel with luggage?

I use the Dimpa to travel on trains/busses, but a cardboard box is a better option when flying — bike boxes are thrown away by LBS anyway.
Old 01-07-21, 12:07 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
If you use some of the foam mat squares and cut them down to size it would increase the protection( but not impact) benefit.
Old 01-09-21, 07:26 AM
DavidMasse

Bikes: Brompton H6R and H6L

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For my next flight to Vancouver post Covid, I’m thinking of either using a Dimpa bag cushioned by a self inflating camping mattress (wrap the bike in the deflated mattress, place it in the Dimpa, open the mattress air valve so it expands to protect the bike) or a 29” Delsey suitcase plus some cheap cushioning.
Old 01-09-21, 07:56 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidMasse
For my next flight to Vancouver post Covid, I’m thinking of either using a Dimpa bag cushioned by a self inflating camping mattress (wrap the bike in the deflated mattress, place it in the Dimpa, open the mattress air valve so it expands to protect the bike) or a 29” Delsey suitcase plus some cheap cushioning.
The Brompton fits the Dimpa bag almost perfectly. I don't think your mattress will be able to expand enough to provide much additional protection. I think thin but rigid sheets would be better. The Delsey cases look to be the wrong shape to fit a Brompton.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.