Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Times Square raised bike lane 43rd~45th st. Broadway South bound

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-23, 04:00 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

I happened to be riding in Times Square today (would avoid it at all cost but somehow ended up there). On Broadway between 43rd and 45th street, the bike lane South bound is raised, with a steep slope between it and vehicle lane (I call it slope because it's not exactly vertical, but close, so almost like a raised curb, but more treacherous--think of a trapzoid) . Very obscure and totally unexpected. The bike lane is also very narrow, with cars passing just next to the bike riders (always hectic traffic). I almost didn't notice it's raised and could have easily slipped down to the vehicle lane and fall. I forgot to take a picture. Is anyone in Manhattan famiilar with what I'm talking about? It's very dangerous. Why raising the lane in such a way as if trying to trap cyclists into a slip/fall?
Old 11-20-23, 11:50 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
I'll look on the way out tonight. Major construction there from 43rd to 42nd, total revamp on that previously windowless skyscraper that had a Duane Reade on the first floor. Related?
Old 12-22-23, 03:45 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
CORRECTION: It's on 7th Avenue, not Broadway.

South bound, on the left side (east side) of the 7th avenue, from 46th to 43rd street. I passed there again and took pictures, see attached.

Last edited by vol; 12-22-23 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-22-23, 03:52 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
I happened to be riding in Times Square today (would avoid it at all cost but somehow ended up there). On Broadway between 43rd and 45th street, the bike lane South bound is raised, with a steep slope between it and vehicle lane (I call it slope because it's not exactly vertical, but close, so almost like a raised curb, but more treacherous--think of a trapzoid) . Very obscure and totally unexpected. The bike lane is also very narrow, with cars passing just next to the bike riders (always hectic traffic). I almost didn't notice it's raised and could have easily slipped down to the vehicle lane and fall. I forgot to take a picture. Is anyone in Manhattan famiilar with what I'm talking about? It's very dangerous. Why raising the lane in such a way as if trying to trap cyclists into a slip/fall?
Yeah, i know what you're talking about. It's bad when pedestrians invade it or trying to pass.

The solution is to avoid Times Square.