Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Flats

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-24, 03:26 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 112 Posts
Flats

Last year, I though was my bad year with 9 flats - don't recall each one, but I remember one was a pinch flat, couple of tire wire, thorn? and some because glass or small rock into the cuts on the tire - GP4SII or GP5s.
This year, just one month I got 3 already
Luckily, two of them were at the garage, result of thorn in the tire on a ride the day before. The other one was a tiny glass on a small cut on the road.

Does anyone patch the small cuts with rubber cement or some other thing?
Any good result to reduce flats?

Thanks
Old 01-29-24, 03:28 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Sounds like you are a good candidate for tubeless with sealant.
Old 01-29-24, 03:34 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I run tubeless GP5000's and after about 1 year (5,400 miles), zero flats. Though many self sealing punctures, mostly from goat heads. So, if you aren't running tubeless, I would do that.

If you still want to run tubes, then I'd look at tire liners. They add significant weight, but are another layer of protection.

I think I tried Shoe-Goo or something like that just to try to fill a cut. As I recall it didn't work well. I also think anything you try for that purposes is at best cosmetic. And even then, likely to look worse than a little cut.
Old 01-29-24, 03:44 PM
SwtBadger

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I wouldn't expect this to be an issue with an experienced rider/bf member, but lowering tire pressure, not riding in the "roadside rubble" might be considered along with avoiding some road conditions. Otherwise, tubeless certainly worth considering.
Old 01-29-24, 04:25 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Or, a more robust tire.
No, I'm not recommending Gatorskins.
I have had zero flats on Schwalbe Green Guards the past two years and have run over plenty of broken glass and road debris.
Old 01-29-24, 04:30 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
there used to be a kevlar tire liner that was very light weight. have not seen it offered for years

/markp
Old 01-29-24, 05:28 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
Patch your tubes if the hole is small? From years of experience at it, I'd say take spares with you and patch the punctured ones when you get home. This is a totally unscientific observation, but the only problem I had with patched tubes is using higher pressure tires (+100psi). I'd found those tended to eventually leak at the patch. These days I'm riding on 700x32 or 35s pumped to 70-80 lbs max using puncture-resistant tires. No issues.
Old 01-29-24, 06:43 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
I was patching a tube roughly once a month for my two kids who bike to school. Then I changed their wheels to tubeless. In the roughly 1.5 year since I have not had to patch anything for them.
it’s a no brainer for people getting flats all the time
Old 01-30-24, 07:23 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
I run tubeless GP5000's and after about 1 year (5,400 miles), zero flats. Though many self sealing punctures, mostly from goat heads. So, if you aren't running tubeless, I would do that.

If you still want to run tubes, then I'd look at tire liners. They add significant weight, but are another layer of protection.
I've been running tire liners for 15 years. They may add a few ounces, but they have absolutely worked against goat-head thorns and small glass. AND, they allow me to run lighter, more supple tires, which makes my bikes feel lighter and more lithe. In fact, I think a light tire with liners would weigh less than a reinforced tire with beefy sidewalls.

I did experiment with reinforced tires like gatorskins and one from Continental. They felt heavy and dull and sapped the joy out of the bikes. I will say though that the ones I tried were grippy and cornering felt good.

tl/dr...tire liners FTW!
Old 01-30-24, 10:37 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by phtomita
Last year, I though was my bad year with 9 flats - don't recall each one, but I remember one was a pinch flat, couple of tire wire, thorn? and some because glass or small rock into the cuts on the tire - GP4SII or GP5s.
This year, just one month I got 3 already
Luckily, two of them were at the garage, result of thorn in the tire on a ride the day before. The other one was a tiny glass on a small cut on the road.

Any good result to reduce flats?

Thanks
Hi Neighbor! My worst day was three flats on the STP in 2012 between the UW and the Kent food stop which is approximately 25 miles. Two punctures and a pinch flat. Got a new tire there as well as two tubes but I was fine for the rest of the ride. Anyway, I generally run either GP Conti 5000 or Gatorskins. Have used some Schwalbe tires that were very good as well. I ride a lot on the SRT, BG, and around Lake Sammamish. On the roads I find it best to stay out of the very far right lane (or left lane here in Thailand) near the gutter/curb as that is where all kinds of road debris ends up.
I do patch tires but I do it at home after the ride. I have used Shor Goo/Patch on tires but it doesn't last too long before it wears off. It's best for filling cuts. Just spread it on like peanut butter and push it down into the cut.
Old 01-30-24, 12:07 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by phtomita
If the tire cut is large enough to see the tube inside when inflated, and the tire still has useful life in it, I will patch the tire from the inside using some ripstop nylon (backpack material) and rubber cement.

I carry a small piece of ripstop nylon and a tube of super glue in my saddle bag, just in case I get a big hole. This has saved me from the "phone call of shame" at least once.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-30-24, 12:18 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
If the tire cut is large enough to see the tube inside when inflated, and the tire still has useful life in it, I will patch the tire from the inside using some ripstop nylon (backpack material) and rubber cement.

I carry a small piece of ripstop nylon and a tube of super glue in my saddle bag, just in case I get a big hole. This has saved me from the "phone call of shame" at least once.
Good to know.
That is a novel approach I had not heard of.
Thanks!
Old 02-04-24, 06:46 PM
pedsurgkb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Boot your tire

I carry a small patch kit, not to patch my tube (I carry spare tubes and patch when I get home) but to boot the inside of the tire if there's a large cut. I've heard people use dollar bills or GU packets as well. I have also used ShoeGoo to fill moderate cuts when I got home, but you need to use it on a deflated tire and let it dry and trim the excess.