Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Pepper spray mounting device?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-24, 09:56 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

Can anyone recommend a pepper spray mount for a bike? I currently wear one on an elastic Velcro strap around my arm but I’d rather have it mounted near the stem cap.
Old 02-26-24, 10:06 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
One possibility from Google searching:

https://nwselfdefense.com/product/pe...tem-mount-only
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 02-26-24, 10:20 AM
ScottCommutes

You do you, but there is an obvious advantage to the body holder - you always have it at hand.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 02-26-24, 10:45 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
idk about you, but I'd not want something like that out in the open.
Old 02-26-24, 11:05 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Can anyone recommend a pepper spray mount for a bike? I currently wear one on an elastic Velcro strap around my arm but I’d rather have it mounted near the stem cap.
Why Do You feel the need for pepper spray?

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 02-26-24, 11:36 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
I agree that when you need it, you really need it. That said, I don't need it that often. Same reason I removed the machine gun mount - only fired it like eight times.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 02-26-24, 03:30 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
You do you, but there is an obvious advantage to the body holder - you always have it at hand.
Bingo. This is the chief fail with the deployment strategy of another popular American weapon. Until there is a way to implant offensive weapons, they really cannot be considered truly effective defensive weapons. Pepper Spray was invented as an offensive weapon to subdue already outmaneuvered prison or arrest subjects. It doesn't even make that great a defense against dogs or bears.
Old 02-26-24, 06:07 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
If you're knocked off your bike, you want your defense implement to be on your body and not out of reach.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 02-26-24, 06:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
If you are planning on using something like OC/Pepper spray make sure you know how to use it well as well as under stress. Beyond that it is pretty useless, as you could easily do more harm to yourself than any good towards the human you think you are stopping. However keep in mind in some of those situations where you think pepper spray might be the right use case could end up with a heavy escalation with someone who has actual firearms and that can be quite deadly. The best method is to deescalate or exfil from the area quickly

If you are going to carry it and have considered the above then I would keep it probably exactly where it is. You want it quick access not something you are fumbling for. However if you do move it than make sure you have more practice with the new location and can easily and quickly access it if you really must use it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-26-24, 06:57 PM
ScottCommutes

Originally Posted by JW Fas
If you're knocked off your bike, you want your defense implement to be on your body and not out of reach.
Or doing #1...............
Old 02-26-24, 07:03 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
Or doing #1...............
I don't know if peeing on your assailant will help.
Old 02-26-24, 08:09 PM
Rick

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
Why Do You feel the need for pepper spray?
It is most likely needed for TSTBA Two legged critters.

I prefer the best of the best for dependability. I have the economy 14oz can and have it in a sleeve which makes it compatible with a standard bicycle water bottle cage.
Old 02-28-24, 08:03 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
When I started carrying pepper gel after a confrontation with a very aggressive Rottweiler, I just packed it in my dominant hand rear jersey pocket.
It stayed put and I only had to remove it once thereafter but the dog was just yapping and not that aggressive like the Rott.
Old 02-28-24, 08:36 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
While on the bus I had my bike parked on one of the interior bike racks in the back with the hooligans and fentanyl smokers. I noticed a guy scoping out my bike; Positioning himself so that he could make a well timed snatch and dart out the door. He knew it was mine because he was watching me. So, I did the best thing I could do under the circumstances. I made it conspicuous that I was watching him too and took my can of bear spray out of my backpack strap mounted holster and held it in my hand. The other junkies pretended not no notice. It was deterrent enough. He got off at the next stop backing off the bus, watching me.

Good.

The lesson here is you don't need to use a thing, just be obvious you have it. People don't know bike things. But, people know people. On your sleeve is probably as obvious/optimal as you could get.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 02-28-24, 10:46 AM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by base2
While on the bus I had my bike parked on one of the interior bike racks in the back with the hooligans and fentanyl smokers. I noticed a guy scoping out my bike; Positioning himself so that he could make a well timed snatch and dart out the door. He knew it was mine because he was watching me. So, I did the best thing I could do under the circumstances. I made it conspicuous that I was watching him too and took my can of bear spray out of my backpack strap mounted holster and held it in my hand. The other junkies pretended not no notice. It was deterrent enough. He got off at the next stop backing off the bus, watching me.

Good.

The lesson here is you don't need to use a thing, just be obvious you have it. People don't know bike things. But, people know people. On your sleeve is probably as obvious/optimal as you could get.
Proper deployment of an offensive weapon. Your Pepper Gel would have been useless after you were knocked unconscious by an unseen junkie (unseen because you were occupied with the primary threat). O.p. is trying to make a case for using Pepper Spray as an effective defense strategy.
Old 02-28-24, 11:20 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Proper deployment of an offensive weapon. Your Pepper Gel would have been useless after you were knocked unconscious by an unseen junkie (unseen because you were occupied with the primary threat). O.p. is trying to make a case for using Pepper Spray as an effective defense strategy.

OP is doing no such thing. I asked a simple and direct question concerning a mount and received ONE answer to my question followed by far too many opinions on everything surrounding the topic, except my question.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 02-28-24, 11:26 AM
Rick

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
Really! Leisesturm: Well it was bear spray and not pepper gel. I did work and the unseen heroin junkie didn't crack his head. . If he had used the Bear spray anybody in that area including him would have had to be holding their breath. I carry decontamination wipes incase I need to use my bear spray. It could get on somebody that I did not intend to effect. Chemical sprays are my last resort. I have fended off thugs with my bicycle or just the front wheel. This was quite effective. Bear spray will cause discomfort on any exposed skin. Bear spray is most effective and an excellent deterrent.
Old 02-28-24, 12:03 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Maybe you are not familiar with the definitions of offensive and defensive.

Defensive is approximately synonymous with "deterrent." Which it plainly says says on the can. It is a defensive tool. I used it to effectively deter an animal. End of story. Going into the lay out of the bus and drawing football/soccer a map of all person's and their positions is moot. When the animal did a threat assessment and departed the situation, the tool went back in the holster. It's very presence was enough to be effective.

My point in regaling the story is when it is plainly visible and identifiable it functions properly as a deterrent and that is where it's use is most effective. The OP should should use it on his arm strap, his belt, on his back pack shoulder strap etc...not on a bike top tube. When he actually needs it, on his person is better than on the bike that will have most certainly separated itself from the owner in the event of an incident with any wildlife be it 2 legged or 4. My vote is against a bike mount at all.

Last edited by base2; 02-28-24 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-28-24, 12:16 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
OP is doing no such thing. I asked a simple and direct question concerning a mount and received ONE answer to my question followed by far too many opinions on everything surrounding the topic, except my question.
I guess you are now going to tell us you didn't know your "simple and direct question" was potentially triggering. Sigh. I hope the ONE answer you received helps.