Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Electric motor

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Electric motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-10, 10:52 AM
SeanCharlton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Electric motor

Hello all,

I'm pretty new to cycling, and dont know much about bikes so to start with I went for just went for a brand which was sponsored by Halfords (UK's biggest bike shop for those who don't know), a C Boardman BBL Hybrid Comp LG 09.

I would like to regularly commute to work on by bicycle, which is only around 3 miles. I have a locker and shower available at work so there's no issue with breaking a sweat.. however there is a steep hill which is unfortunately around a mile long.

I've tried commuting a few times and I quite enjoy it, however I struggle to get up the hill without having to get off and push! As well as this I think it would be nice to have an electric motor for those days where I can't be bothered to cycle in, as it would save money on petrol.

I've had a quick google for electric motors and all I can seem to find is electric bikes.

My question is:
Is it possible to buy an electric motor for a pushbike which doesn't normally have one, and if so where can I get one in the UK.

Thanks
Old 06-01-10, 11:43 AM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Check out Ben Cooper at Kinetics Bicycles. He's in Scotland, but is a really good guy and can point you in the right direction for what you want and where to get it in the UK.
Old 06-03-10, 10:12 PM
liksmuzic

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have found that some companies that sell electric conversions have a wealth of information on their websites.

This one:
https://www.itselectric.ca/ has video's of how easy it is to install a electric hub kit for your bicycle.

This site:
https://www.ebikes.ca/ which is a favorite of mine, has technical information of how a hub motor works, and in
the troubleshooting area, you will be able to get a feel for how this works.

On this part of the site: https://www.ebikes.ca/store/ it talks about the ezee kit, which is a geared hub motor, which
would be ideal for a long hill that you have to go up.

I have used a regular hub motor for 3 yrs now, and used it to help me up shorter steep hills. It does not do all the work
it is a Combined effort of you pedalling, and assistance from the motor that makes it easier. Mine is a front wheel hub
motor with the SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) batteries on a rear rack. It balanced out nicely. I used to ride nearly
10 kms one way to work with it. A very pleasant start to the dreaded work day.

Since all the products they show are available around the world, I am sure the things they have can be had near you.

Good luck with your search!