Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Internal Cable Routing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Internal Cable Routing

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-24, 11:12 AM
grantre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Internal Cable Routing

Was wondering if anyone could tell me whether the Giant Escape 3's (2022) outer cable housing is one continuous piece from the shifters to the bottom bracket or is it just the cable wire itself inside the frame?

Thanks.
Old 04-28-24, 03:43 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5874 Post(s)
Liked 2,722 Times in 1,520 Posts
Easy enough to check. Create some slack by pushing brakes closed or RDs inward and tug on the housing.

If one end pulls out without the other end going in, it's bare wire inside. If pulling moves the other end it's continuous.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-29-24, 07:13 AM
grantre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FB - appreciate the response. The housings are secured to the headtube with some type of ferrules. The housings can't be tugged without removing the ferrules first. Trying to avoid removing/damaging them before I know what all I need to replace the cables. Will check with the LBS where I bought the bike to ask them.
Old 04-29-24, 07:15 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4525 Post(s)
Liked 1,667 Times in 1,093 Posts
Originally Posted by grantre
FB - appreciate the response. The housings are secured to the headtube with some type of ferrules. The housings can't be tugged without removing the ferrules first. Trying to avoid removing/damaging them before I know what all I need to replace the cables. Will check with the LBS where I bought the bike to ask them.
If there are ferrules, than they are likely cable stops and a bare cable runs inside the frame.

Often looking at the exit under the BB will make it clear.
Old 04-29-24, 07:31 AM
grantre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Kontac. The cable wire at the BB exit is contained within what looks like some type of clear plastic housing, not like the black housing attached to the headtube. Can't see that far into the BB to determine how far up the clear plastic goes. From the BB exit there is bare cable going into a segmented housing to the chain rail.

Just trying to understand what all is going on inside the downtube.

Last edited by grantre; 04-29-24 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-29-24, 10:02 AM
grantre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, LBS tells me that on my model bike a separate clear plastic housing runs inside the the frame from the head tube to the BB. The black housing into the head tube stops at the ferrules.
Old 04-29-24, 11:17 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5874 Post(s)
Liked 2,722 Times in 1,520 Posts
Clear plastic tubing within the frame serves 2 purposes.

1- it acts as a guide making cable replacement easier.

2- it reduces friction and cable wear at the exit point.

Otherwise, the tensioned wire acts the same as if there were no liner, taking a straight line except where it bends around obstructions, ie. BB unit.

The load is carried by the frame between the fulcrums at either end, ie. DT ferrule, chainstay stop.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-29-24 at 11:23 AM.