Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

MKS touring pedals?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

MKS touring pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-07, 07:53 AM
MrPolak
Just ride it.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MKS touring pedals?

What has been your experience with MKS touring pedals? Are they durable and smooth-spinning? Do they have good foot support? What model are you using?
Old 12-03-07, 10:40 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
I really like the ones I have. Plenty of support, smooth-spinning. But if you ever wear running shoes you can feel the pedal through them.

The only problem I have is that I purchased XL toe clips and even with a bunch of washers in between the clip and pedal I can't get my foot in them far enough. It feels like I am pedaling with my toes. So I ditched the toe clips and am pedaling free.
Old 12-03-07, 11:46 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My Sylvian touring are still running smoothly after 7 years of daily, all-weather use. easy to service and adjust, pretty much ideal.
My size 9 (43) feet fit into L clips.
The only problem I had were a tendancy to bash the pedal on rocks when off-roading. This seemed to knock the pedal out of alignment, possibly bending the axle. I dont hit rocks any more.
Old 12-03-07, 11:54 AM
l3ica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using MKS track pedals with MKS toe clips as well on my commuter for the last 2 years or so and have no complaints, so I will probably just keep them when I go on tour. The wider touring pedals would be preferable, but its an unnecessary expense for me. I wouldn't hesitate to get them.
Old 12-03-07, 01:16 PM
ronzorini
Leather and Canvas Fetish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for the MKS touring pedals. I like the large surface area. I wear thick soled running shoes while on tour and don't feel the edges, so YMMV. The teeth like to chew on my shins if I'm not careful, though.
Old 12-03-07, 01:24 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, i like mine also, but as the others have said if you wear a softer soled show you can feel them through the shoe, which can be uncomfortable after many miles. There is no problem if you were hard soled shoes though.
I have only had mine for a few months, but they are holding up great so far.
Old 12-03-07, 07:01 PM
ellerbro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find that they work well in dry weather, but when they get the least bit wet they are pretty slick. I started a tour wearing stiff-soled mountain bike shoes but they slid all over the place even when it was just foggy out due to the moisture in the air. I was not using clips or any retention device. I switched to Tevas which are softer and they gripped better though still not well enough for me. I didn't have any discomfort with the pedals and appreciated the wide surface. I would only use the MKS touring pedals with a retention device like PowerGrips or clips. I'm going to try pinned platforms or Grip Kings next.

They spin pretty smoothly but not like butter, nothing to worry about though. My bike has fallen over three times now, each time racking the pedals and they're still true and spin fine. They seem to be fairly durable for road riding but I wouldn't go rock bashing with them.
Old 12-04-07, 07:11 AM
MrPolak
Just ride it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your feedback, everyone!
Old 12-04-07, 07:14 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 770 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123
I really like the ones I have. Plenty of support, smooth-spinning. But if you ever wear running shoes you can feel the pedal through them.

The only problem I have is that I purchased XL toe clips and even with a bunch of washers in between the clip and pedal I can't get my foot in them far enough. It feels like I am pedaling with my toes. So I ditched the toe clips and am pedaling free.
What size shoe do you wear.
Old 12-04-07, 01:10 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
What size shoe do you wear.

I wear a size 12 Specialized Taho. If I put the clips on with no spacers I can't even get my foot in far enough to where the highest point of a SPD cleat would clip in. With about 5 extra nuts and an extr long screw I can get it just to where it is acceptable, but not far enough back for my liking. So I ditched them.
Old 12-08-07, 09:35 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got the Touring pedals. I've also got the GR9s which are quite nice also.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 06-16-12, 10:15 PM
lungimsam

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Haven't used them much yet as I just re-installed them today, but best support of any "clip-full" pedal I have used that I can remember. Feels great. Veeeeery comfy. I use it with clips-no straps. Sylvan Touring pedal. Easy to flip up and get toes into clips. Easy and supportive to get on when standing and pedalling.

Some people are worried about pedal strike because of the width. But I don't really pedal around corners, and I keep my inside pedal up when cornering - which I guess is good form anyway. I do pedal fast around corners with clipless pedals. But I try to just coast around corners, or give a gentle pedal once while going thru a turn with the MKS Tourings just to be careful and to gently test the limits of the pedal for my own interest.
Rode today about 29 miles with nary a strike.
I just love these pedals. I was thinking about getting the smaller Sylvan Stream pedals (just like touring but less width and more teeth), but as long as I don't have any pedal strike probs with the Tourings I'll keep them.
I would like to try the Streams just out of curiosity. The Sylvan Roads, too.
Old 06-17-12, 07:53 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
I use them on 4 different bikes, one pair has been around for close to 20 years and are still going round and round.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-17-12, 08:21 AM
Bike Hermit
ghost on a machine

Bikes: Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, Serotta Colorado Legend TG, Rivendell Roadeo, Surly Cross Check, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brianmcg123

Have you thought about using the Power Grip strap? They will work with the MKS Touring pedal. I use them on my daily commuter and I like the secure feel of having a strap...plus I can still move my foot around on the pedal. They work with just about any shoe too.
Old 06-17-12, 10:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Used Campag's pedal for decades , the MKS knock off is similar
to the SL because the cage is aluminum..
Old 06-18-12, 11:25 AM
pretzelkins

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got MKS pedals on 3 of my 4 bikes. The Sylvan Touring on my touring bike, the GR9s on my city bike, and the Touring Lite on my trail bike. After a few thousand miles I had to clean and repack one of the Sylvan Touring pedals as it wasn't spinning smoothly. It's fine now. I like the surface area, nice and wide and fits the size 12 trail running shoes I tour in just fine. I prefer to use them without clips as clips are just one more little thing to deal with when you're tired and ragged on a long tour.