Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Any feedback on Wellgo Platform pedals?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-10, 05:43 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Planning a tour in France and want to avoid clipless [two pairs of shoes less between wife and I]. Looking to not spend too much either and saw these:

https://www.evanscycles.com/products/wellgo/lu-a8u-platform-pedal-ec019359

Anyone tried these? Looks pretty solid and inexpensive too. Any other suggestions?

Done the search and saw the recomendations for the MKS pedals, but am a bit worried that with soft soles the pressure from the raised edges of the pedals might hurt after a while.

Last edited by deepakvrao; 04-19-10 at 03:22 AM.
Old 04-17-10, 08:51 AM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I have a set on a bike and they are comfortable and work fine. They sometimes make it hard to attach toe clips but it looks like this particular model may be setup for toe clips. I've been using Power Grips on mine and have been happy with that. Make sure to get the right size threads, probably 9/16" for your bike.
Old 04-17-10, 09:53 AM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use similar pairs on all five of my bikes, and I much prefer pedals like that when touring. However, many on this forum prefer their feet to be attached to the pedal in some way (clipless or toe strap of some sort). Recommend buying early, install, and ride a bit to learn if you enjoy that style of pedal.

P.S. I recommend getting set of pedals that are wide enough for your foot -- length is not the issue, width. Some narrow platform or BMX type pedals can be problematic if one's foot tends to roll to the outside due to lack of side support on the pedal. I had trouble with Grip Kings from Rivendell because they are a bit narrow for my foot - length is certainly fine on these for me, but width not so good:

https://www.rivbike.com/products/show...g-pedal/14-053

Last edited by bwgride; 04-17-10 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-17-10, 09:56 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowegian
I have a set on a bike and they are comfortable and work fine. They sometimes make it hard to attach toe clips but it looks like this particular model may be setup for toe clips.
I have a set of pedals that appear identical, though they're made by a different company. Mine won't accept toe clips.

The spikes on the top of the pedal have a habit of cutting your shins if your foot slips off the pedal for some reason. Several of my mountain biking friends have found this out the hard way after needing to get stitched up after a crash. This type of injury is probably much less likely to happen on a touring bike, but it's still something to think about. If it were me, I'd probably go with a more standard pedal; one designed to accept toe clips. Like Iowegian, I prefer PowerGrips to regular straps or cages.
Old 04-18-10, 08:14 PM
surlydave

Bikes: 1986 Miyata 710 SS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd look for a pair with sealed bearings. I have a set of Wellgos that I use on my touring rig that fit and feel nice, but have loose ball bearings. I've tried to rebuild/repack them but the balls are smoked and I'm shopping for new ones.
For what it's worth I ride clipless on MTB's and Roadies, but for the touring rig platforms make more sense to me.
Old 04-18-10, 08:41 PM
gregstandt

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I use this same pedal but the magnesium model which weighs about half. Here's a review on CGOAB.
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/revie...ls&context=all
Old 04-19-10, 04:57 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 569 Posts
I can't comment on those, but my experience with Welgo pedals in general is that they are fairly nice, but don't hold up nearly was well as the Shimamo pedals that they are clones of. That observation is primarily about the Campus pedals that are a cage on one side and SPD on the other and it was the SPD part that wore out. Since these don't have the SPD part it may not apply.