Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-11, 07:15 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6. Other activities: My other favourite activities include running, (about 5 km, 3 times a week,) and reading non-fiction. I have a lifestyle that other people might consider to be boring.

I'm with you on the life style.
Old 01-17-11, 06:44 AM
kpasa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eastern Europe May

Originally Posted by TheMister
Please tell us your age. 50(!)

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Trek Alpha

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? Vitamins

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Only when the youngsters pass me.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Got back into it in the last couple years.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. 20-50 miles a week in the warm months. Helps the knees after year round soccer.
56 YO, been on the road in many different countries and for many years, riding a Cannondale T700,a bit old but still rides great. Presently training at 80 kms. per day,4 times a week. Mid May departing Tallin,Estonia South to Greece via Croatia and the Adriatic coast. Fully self contained (no support vehicle) I would like some company. Average 100kms. or more per day.
Old 01-17-11, 06:51 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man you turn some cranks!
I would love to go with you but it ain't going to happen!

I do wish you the best of luck and I'll be thinking of you. Post some pictures of your pass ride.
Old 02-03-11, 08:46 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Please tell us your age. 57

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I've got 4 road bikes -- a Merckx AX (ti), Merckx Corsa 01, De Bernardi SL, and Bob Jackson World Tour

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
I take a daily vitamin but honestly don't notice any difference if I run out and quit taking for a while

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
I've slowed down some, but that is probably mostly due to gaining weight -- and I'm working on that.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Started cycling regularly when I went to college at 18 because I needed a bike to get around campus at UGA. Started running also in college and was more of a runner than cyclist until injuries forced me to quit. Started cycling more seriously in my mid-40s and have ridden probably 75,000 miles since then.

5. What type of biking do you do? I ride about 7,000 miles a year, about half of that commuting the other half recreational. Usually take a week long bike tour every year. I commute 3-4 days/week, 22 miles round trip. Longer rec rides on weekends, usually ranging from 40-65 miles, with 1-2 centuries a year.

6. Other activities: Do a fair amount of walking, hiking on days when I don't ride. In the warmer months, I kayak once or twice a week on local lakes and occasionally at the coast.
Old 02-07-11, 12:22 PM
outwest5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 50 (happy to have a place to post where I don't feel like everyone's mother). Hubbie is 57.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I just bought a Felt ZW4- DH just bought a Giant Defy Advanced 1- can't wait to get them next week! We've been riding a Kona Dewdrop and Trek 7.1

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Vitamins? What for? alright...I take an Omega 3, a vitamin D and Red yeast rice and multivitamin- all in a willy nilly way.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Well, I thought I was too old to really ride when the kids were gone and we needed a hobby to do together. Staring at each other was getting boring. I was so surprised at how well I did. I am not as fast as those 20 somethings, but speed has never been a priority. I always get there.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Rode a lot before kids, but kids had a way of ending that. I guess we are new, or 'renewed'.

5. What type of biking do you do? I ride to the store for a few things, down to the village area in our city, to a meeting at work on my regular days off, bike trails, roads where I feel safe, to the gym. I am afraid of mountain biking, so don't plan to do that.

6. Other activities: mild hiking, gardening, pets. We still have to work fulltime, so other activities are being pushed aside for this biking thing on days off.
Old 02-07-11, 02:21 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome, tarheel and outwest5

Enjoy, post lots and - especially - poictures of you and your bikes.
Old 02-08-11, 04:14 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome guys, Post a lot with pictures.
Old 02-14-11, 07:45 PM
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 57

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

2011 Specialized Roubaix Comp
2006 Trek 7100 Hybrid

I got the Roubaix this winter because I
1) I hate riding upright into the wind (I live a block from the Lake Ontario waterfront trail)
and it gets windy out there.
2) The road buzz from an aluminium frame is awful over long distances and carbon fiber is
pretty much as good as steel when it comes to damping the vibration.
3) I've always been a roadie at heart.

Nothing to speak of.

None.

The first thing I did when I started riding more was get a bike computer with a
cadence function (I use a Sigma) . It really helps to know how you're doing especially on those long hill climbs.

Recently I bought a Garmin 305 Forerunner. I use it on my walks, on the bike and when I'm
cross country skiing. It's seemed like overkill at first but I've found the heart rate monitor
to be invaluable in getting me to pace myself properly since my wife is constantly reminding me
that I'm not 20 years old.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

I did my first metric century when I was 16 (did a LOT of riding in my teens on a road bike) . Then nothing
until a couple of years ago when I started riding my hybrid.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

Long and short rides. I rode road bikes as a teenager and got the hybrid a few years ago.
The hybrid is fine for a quick spin and for building up some strength in the spring but I'll be
riding the Roubaix a lot more.

I haven't been on a group ride since I was in my teens. Since I've been riding again I've been
riding solo.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

I try to get out at least 6 times a week with one rest day. I work out of my house and cottage
for a software company so I limit my workouts to about 45 - 60 min during the week and do about 10-15 miles each time, mostly
consisting of doing intervals over both flats and hills.

I'll usually do a 30+ mile ride on the weekend . I try to average about 75+ miles a week as time permits.

This year I'm planning on increasing my mileage (one of the reasons why I went full carbon).

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

Spring, summer and fall it's on the bike. I kayak and walk while up at my cottage (I'm bringing the bikes
with me when I'm up at the cottage this year for sure).

My wife and I are planning on doing some white water kayaking this summer.

In winter I cross country ski on weekends, and I'll do 10k walks during the week time permitting.
Old 02-15-11, 06:58 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome, ride on and post.
Old 03-06-11, 03:40 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Please tell us your age.

50. DnvrFox can't touch me now! No more threads started about the "young upstarts" posting in the thread!

I primarily ride a Rivendell Atlantis that I now think is too big for me, and a Scott mountain bike. And I just traded my Klein for a recumbent. I have one fast bike left (a vintage Mondonico), but it rides too hard for me right now. I may sell it.)

I drink a special fortification drink composed of either hops or grapes, carefully brewed by elves. And I take an iron pill when I remember. I've gone organic and healthy in my eating. Pretty much. Sometimes. As much as possible. When I remember.

I completely crashed and burned from a mystery autoimmune thing that attacked my kidneys and other stuff. So I've slowed down to almost a stop, but am gearing up again.

I was a biker in my youth, then took it up again a few years ago.

Short, slow, meandering follies.

eh.... I haven't been riding for a couple years much. Before that, a typical ride was 12-20 miles.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

50! Eat that DenvrFox!
Old 03-06-11, 07:19 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

50! Eat that DenvrFox!
And, it tastes good!!

I am so sorry about your auto immune episode and wish you the very best in a recovery. Auto immune stuff is no fun.
Old 03-22-11, 10:31 AM
bikethom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 52 (almost)

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Felt F2, Jamis MTB (1996 model), and Novara city bike, so all sorts, I guess.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? Vitamins

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Top speed, yes, Average, no. Recovery time takes LOTS longer now, however.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Since age 20 as an adult, with a few years here and there off the bike...

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, centuries, fast shorter rides. I really like mountains and hills when I'm a bit lighter
Old 03-23-11, 05:17 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, Welcome. Enjoy the group and post often!
Old 04-15-11, 05:04 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
indicate your age. - 51

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I have a GMC Denali "road bike", which I've customized a bit.

Just clean living.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? - I am much faster now than when I started

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? - 3 years.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. Commute to work - 20 miles there and back - short trips to the store and 20-30 mile recreational on the weekends.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?4,500-5,500 per year.
Old 04-15-11, 05:17 PM
Dale_S
Lurking

Bikes: 2011 Bianchi Imola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age: Just short of 50, hope that is ok.

2011 Bianchi Imola

No

Yes. I have gained about 60 pounds in the last 15 years, so it has slowed me down.

Might as well be new, been 15 years since I was on a bike, an old Schwinn 10 speed that was 25 years old when I stopped.

Hoping to do long rides, maybe some touring.

Just started back 2 days ago, so far 3 miles. I am more out of shape that a coughed up hairball. Won;t know annual mileage for a year. Hoping as I get into shape I can do more than a few miles at a time. I think my short distance now is due to lack of a good cadence,
Old 04-15-11, 06:57 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by wphamilton
indicate your age. - 51

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I have a GMC Denali "road bike", which I've customized a bit.

Just clean living.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? - I am much faster now than when I started

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? - 3 years.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. Commute to work - 20 miles there and back - short trips to the store and 20-30 mile recreational on the weekends.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?4,500-5,500 per year.
Welcome and enjoy the forum..
Old 04-15-11, 06:59 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Dale_S
Please tell us your age: Just short of 50, hope that is ok.

2011 Bianchi Imola

No

Yes. I have gained about 60 pounds in the last 15 years, so it has slowed me down.

Might as well be new, been 15 years since I was on a bike, an old Schwinn 10 speed that was 25 years old when I stopped.

Hoping to do long rides, maybe some touring.

Just started back 2 days ago, so far 3 miles. I am more out of shape that a coughed up hairball. Won;t know annual mileage for a year. Hoping as I get into shape I can do more than a few miles at a time. I think my short distance now is due to lack of a good cadence,
Just short of 72 - hope that is OK also

Welcome, and keep us posted on your progress, which will be far faster than you ever dreamed.
Old 04-16-11, 05:27 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome and enjoy, 69 (The Kid)

Post often
Old 04-16-11, 05:15 PM
R_Z

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 59

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? For the past 4 years I rode a Trek 7.3 FX. Yesterday I traded up to a 2011 Trek Madone 4.5.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? I take your basic Centrum Silver type vitamin. Also an occasional Advil after some rides.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? I've certainly slowed down in some respects, but considering that I was rather sedentary prior to my 1st bike in 2007, I'm doing much better.

4. How long have you been biking? Besides riding a bike as a kid, I hadn't been on one since 2007.

5. What type of biking do you do? I haven't been on any long distance rides. My best ride on the 7.3 has been 20 miles. I was riding 3 to 4 days a week, but last year due to an illness, I cut back quite a bit. Now I'm looking forward to longer journeys.

6. Other activities: I spend 3 days a week at a gym doing cardio and light weights. I prefer more reps and lighter weights. Other than riding and the gym, I love to eat!
Old 04-16-11, 05:32 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? For the past 4 years I rode a Trek 7.3 FX. Yesterday I traded up to a 2011 Trek Madone 4.5.

Nice!! and welcome.
Old 04-16-11, 05:41 PM
R_Z

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Nice!! and welcome.
Thank you. I look forward to learning a lot.
Old 04-22-11, 08:25 AM
redryder

Bikes: 04 Road Cannondale Tandem and 06 Road Specialized Sirrus Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 54 years young

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? 04 Cannondale Road Tandem and 06 Specialized Road Sirrus
2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? Fish Oil, Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Multi-Vitamin
3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? I have not slowed down at all. I have four grandchildren (15 months - 5 1/2 years) and they are keeping me active. I have more energy now than when I was in my 30s.
4. How long have you been biking? I have biked most of my life, but stepped it up 7 years ago. I am hoping to ride my first century next year so I am getting ready for that.
5. What type of biking do you do? [COLOR="darkorchid"]A combination of long and short rides. I ride for exercise/recreation.COLOR]
6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? I have been averaging 200 miles per month, 2,400 miles per year.
Old 04-22-11, 11:53 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome RedRyder, glad to see you here!

Enjoy and post!
Old 05-02-11, 12:25 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Up until two years ago, I rode a late 60's Mondia. About a year and a half ago I got a Trek Madone 4.5 with a 105/Ultegra/no-name mix. Boy, bikes have sure come a long way since that Mondia was built. About two weeks ago, I got a Kestrel RT800SL with a full Dura-Ace setup. That's one sweet machine!

Diabetes medicine and a few vitamins, such as garlic, fish oil, baby aspirin, and cinnamon.

Don't feel that I have. I play a lot of tennis also.

Pretty much all my life, but just the other year got serious about riding again on a consistent basis. Last autumn, I thought I'd go out one Saturday and ride a century. Started running out of steam on the long grade up from Rosemond to Tehachapi, so decided to make it a metric century instead. Maybe I am slowing down a bit.

A mix of short rides and some long ones on occasion. Back in 1995, I took an 1800-mile cross country bike ride...on my mountain bike because I didn't think my road bike was "strong" enough. Took three weeks, then I became homesick and wanted to get back to work; so I "quit" and took the train the rest of the way home. My big mistake was going from East to West. Fought the prevailing winds the whole way. There is a reason people go from West to East.

My favorite ride ... well, my challenge, is a 15.2 mile loop with one ugly hill in the middle. I've been trying for about three years to break doing that loop in an hour. I keep missing by about two or three minutes. Depends a lot on the wind and if I hit the signals when they are green. There are only three signals on the loop, one of which I run every time because it is on a remote, lightly traveled road. The other two lights, I can lose up to two or three minutes. I got to get up that hill faster if I'm ever going to break through an hour.

I think I'll be able to bust through an hour on this new Kestrel. Yesterday, when doing the loop for the first time with the Kestrel, on the downhill side of the hill, the front wheel started wobbling violently and scared the willies out of me. Didn't crash, but want down that hill slower than I could have with a stable bike, (or proper technique). Then, on the long run-in on Lake Elizabeth Road when I can usually maintain 27-29 mph, (slight downhill with a normally strong tailwind), the wind was coming from the "wrong" direction and pretty strong. Even so, I was able to hold 24-25 mph. So, when the wind is "normal", I think I can get under that hour barrier.

I usually ride by myself, but am thinking of joining a club.

Try to get a ride in every week, but difficult working two jobs. Annual mileage? Haven't a clue.

7. Other activities?
Have a lifetime membership in the USTA (national tennis organization) Try to play in a league at least once a year.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
I'll turn 60 this August.

Last edited by volosong; 05-02-11 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-02-11, 01:20 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Kid! Nice to see you here. Please post often.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.