Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

LowCel's weight loss thread.

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

LowCel's weight loss thread.

Old 03-06-13, 06:12 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by trigger
I might also add that there don't seem to be a lot of vegetables in your diet. In addition to providing you with all sorts of nutritional benefit (vitamins, minerals etc), veggies are great at filling you up for very low caloric cost. A huge plate of steamed veggies tastes great and really fills you up while not adding many calories to your day.

Even just adding in carrot sticks, celery, more fresh fruits etc ...

(You could also make huge pots of veggie stew or soup and have those as leftovers in place of some of your packaged meals. It's cheaper, more nutritionally dense, and it is pretty easy to figure out the caloric amounts / serving size.)
I was thinking about that earlier today. I have virtually no vegies or fruits going into my body. I really need to work on that. Thank you.
Old 03-06-13, 06:14 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

3/6

Breakfast - Oatmeal, pb, raisins - 300 calories (oatmeal 160, 1/2 serving pb 100, 1/3 serving raisins 40)
Snack - Banana - 110 calories
Lunch - Campbell's GO Soup - SPicy Chorizo & Pulled Chicken w/ black beans - 420 calories
Dinner - Pho I have no idea how many calories.

Last edited by LowCel; 03-06-13 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 03:12 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
3/6

Breakfast - Oatmeal, pb, raisins - 300 calories (oatmeal 160, 1/2 serving pb 100, 1/3 serving raisins 40)
Snack - Banana - 110 calories
Lunch - Campbell's GO Soup - SPicy Chorizo & Pulled Chicken w/ black beans - 420 calories
K I'm bored and the 41 is slow so I'm searching.
Simple question, where is your protein?
I might have to send you a diet my friend.
Old 03-06-13, 06:28 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by rkwaki
K I'm bored and the 41 is slow so I'm searching.
Simple question, where is your protein?
I might have to send you a diet my friend.
Thank you, I'll read over the diet you sent me tomorrow.
Old 03-07-13, 04:32 PM
mr_pedro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
So how much do you currently weigh, about 220? That means about 2300 Cal per day to maintain your weight (assuming no workout that day). If we aim at a 500 deficit that amounts to 1700 Cal per day. You could split this out over the meals as for example (numbers don't add up to 1700 but there is lot's of inaccuracy anyway in all the calculations):

breakfast: 400 Cal
snack: 100 Cal
Lunch : 500 Cal
snack 100 Cal
Dinner: 600 Cal

I suspect that it is dinner where you are over eating. To get a tasty 500 or 600 Cal dinner that fills you up I would do something like 200 Cal of lean meat or fish (grilled for example), 200 Cal of pasta/rice/potatoes, lots of veggies and the rest of the Cal would come from whatever your adding to make it tasty like olive oil or some sauce. In the beginning this requires discipline to measure everything out and eat just that. If you are still hungry you can drink water and eat fruit. After a while you can just start following your appetite again.
Old 03-07-13, 04:52 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by mr_pedro
So how much do you currently weigh, about 220? That means about 2300 Cal per day to maintain your weight (assuming no workout that day). If we aim at a 500 deficit that amounts to 1700 Cal per day. You could split this out over the meals as for example (numbers don't add up to 1700 but there is lot's of inaccuracy anyway in all the calculations):

breakfast: 400 Cal
Lunch : 500 Cal
snack 100 Cal
Dinner: 600 Cal

I suspect that it is dinner where you are over eating. To get a tasty 500 or 600 Cal dinner that fills you up I would do something like 200 Cal of lean meat or fish (grilled for example), 200 Cal of pasta/rice/potatoes, lots of veggies and the rest of the Cal would come from whatever your adding to make it tasty like olive oil or some sauce. In the beginning this requires discipline to measure everything out and eat just that. If you are still hungry you can drink water and eat fruit. After a while you can just start following your appetite again.
Thank you. Lunch is where I have a lot of problems. Working 4 - 10's the majority of the time I really want to get out of the office to get some lunch. Once the time changes I'll probably have a problem getting time to eat dinner on work days. Getting off work at 5 and riding until 8 or so means I generally get home, relax a few minutes then head off to bed.
Old 03-08-13, 10:36 AM
four de trance
Capt Hook

Bikes: Described above...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I weighed 210lbs when I started and I now weigh 152lbs! I'm vegan too. I never thought that I'd lose this much weight cycling, but it happened!
Old 03-10-13, 01:51 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Getting off work at 5 and riding until 8 or so means I generally get home, relax a few minutes then head off to bed.
Unless your bike training is for competitive purposes, I'd consider changing your schedule. Ride less, get home sooner, then use that extra time to prepare fresh food to take to work the next day.

At the moment, I've got a couple ziploc bags of apples and bell peppers to serve as snacks. I take a banana sometimes, too, although I think the only place to buy a banana near my hotel this weekend is a gas station (ironic, huh? ).

Riding is great and all, but I have to admit that I grew to my heaviest while I was riding the most. Well, maybe after my riding peak, to be specific, but these days, I ride a fraction of what I used to (to the point where I'm considering selling all my bikes but one), yet I'm 40-50 pounds lighter. Riding a lot mostly just makes you a better rider; eating better can make you lighter.
Old 03-10-13, 01:53 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Unless your bike training is for competitive purposes, I'd consider changing your schedule. Ride less, get home sooner, then use that extra time to prepare fresh food to take to work the next day.

At the moment, I've got a couple ziploc bags of apples and bell peppers to serve as snacks. I take a banana sometimes, too, although I think the only place to buy a banana near my hotel this weekend is a gas station (ironic, huh? ).

Riding is great and all, but I have to admit that I grew to my heaviest while I was riding the most. Well, maybe after my riding peak, to be specific, but these days, I ride a fraction of what I used to (to the point where I'm considering selling all my bikes but one), yet I'm 40-50 pounds lighter. Riding a lot mostly just makes you a better rider; eating better can make you lighter.
Ride less? I don't think so. Riding less I would go nuts. I guess it's better to be heavy and happy than to cut back on my favorite thing in life (other than family, pets, and friends).

I only have seven races scheduled so far for the year, I plan to add a few more as the year goes on.
Old 03-10-13, 04:24 PM
trigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm strapped for time too, and what I do is cook large amounts two nights a week (usually the weekends) and these serve as either dinners or lunches for most of the rest of the week. I'll make a big (and I mean huge) stir-fry, a stew or soup, a pasta dish etc. I eat it fresh the night I make it, and usually get another 3-4 meals out of it as leftovers. Stick 'em in tupperware in the fridge, or in the freezer if you're not sure that you'll use all of it in time. I also make a large salad and stick it in the fridge, and maybe a fruit salad. All in in all it's an investment of a few hours each weekend that keeps me set up with fresh, healthy food all week. Not having to think about what to eat also reduces my stress level quite a bit - whenever I get home there's going to be something good to eat. Ditto at work, though I do sometimes eat out a work just because I want to.
Old 03-18-13, 11:53 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
LowCel, updates?
Old 03-18-13, 12:54 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

LowCel, updates?
It hasn't been good. My mom had a knee replacement last week so I've been staying with her and doing as much for her as possible. Very little riding and since I had to rely on my cooking I have been eating a lot of hungry man dinners.
Old 03-19-13, 08:04 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It hasn't been good. My mom had a knee replacement last week so I've been staying with her and doing as much for her as possible. Very little riding and since I had to rely on my cooking I have been eating a lot of hungry man dinners.
Lean Cuisine > Hungry Man. That's what I was resorting to on tour last month (apart from dividing a Subway footlong over lunch and dinner a few times and building my own stash of fruit and veggies to snack from).
Old 03-31-13, 05:36 PM
koffee brown

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Ok, without going through the entire thread, if you're concerned about nutrition and training, why not see a dietitian? I'm only asking because I know some, and they can best assess what will work well for your goals and even help you put together an eating plan.

Also, you can download the myfitnesspal app for your phone. It has a lot of the nutrition info in there and can figure out a lot of your diet, even when you eat out. You can also take pictures of many foods, and it will recognize it and give the nutrition info. Plus, you can track all your eating indefinitely. It's stupid easy to use, man.

koffee
Old 04-04-13, 12:58 PM
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Im fat and Im back!!!!! No, seriously........

Subscribed! lol

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
Old 04-04-13, 01:03 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by C_Heath

Subscribed! lol
Glad you are back. It looks like I'm fat and staying that way. Once life gets back to somewhat normal I will concentrate on my diet. At this point and time I just can't do it. I'm just trying to eat less and ride more, hopefully I lose a pound or two in the process.
Old 04-04-13, 04:06 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You're giving up way too early. Two months? Took me six months of watching everything I ate to lose thirty pounds (and learn a lot along the way).

I had deemed it impossible less than a year prior to that, too. Figured that I was just going to be big like my mom. Or maybe the seasonal allergy drugs I took every year were messing with my body composition. Or that the only way to lose weight again was to be revved up all day, every day, and eating half of nothin' just like back in boot camp. Or that nobody loses weight after 40.

You've got to change your mindset about what constitutes "good" and "tasty" food. It doesn't seem long ago that the sensation I felt after four big slices of pizza could be called "full", but now it just feels "crappy". There's a guy at work who constantly struggles with weight control, and he's said that he wants to have meals that make him "feel like I'm eating real food instead of grazing like a rabbit." Okay, fine, but do you want to know what he snacks on? Clif bars, Triscuits,... crap like that. He's been so hoodwinked by marketing that when I told him to get rid of his case of Clif bars, he got one and as he started reading the wrapper, he complained, "But without it, how am I going to get enough riboflavin, iron, magnesium, sen..seln..selenium ..??" I said, you get it from real food, not sugar bombs like those.

I wish he'd let me go through his pantry, throw all the useless junk into garbage bags, and drag him through the grocery store to fill his cart with proper FOOD. I might need to put a toddler leash on him so he won't run down the cereal aisle.

Sorry, had to vent a little there...
Old 04-07-13, 04:16 PM
koffee brown

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by C_Heath

Subscribed! lol
You're funny.

I totally love ya.

Don't change.

koffee
Old 04-07-13, 04:39 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always add in fresh veggies to any canned soup mix. Easy and adds some goodness. When i am super lazy and dont even feel like getting out the cutting board, I just throw in some broken up mushrooms, kale, spinach, etc.
Old 04-14-13, 03:13 PM
Boogs
Kelly Drive Amateur

Bikes: '86 Super Sport with mods

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whenever you get back to this, godspeed and god bless, I will add another +1 to eating more vegetables. Veggies' health benefits go so much farther than mere calories, but on topic you are almost mathematically certain to lose weight eating a diet that is based around them. They are so filling for the amount of calories one consumes, and will make you feel like a different person once you are established on the eating pattern.

The tough part is prep time and shopping.

An easy and super healthy way to prep them is to use a food processor to aid in making large batches of veggie stews. You can keep broccoli florets, potato cubes etc. for textural and visual value but process other ingredients to make prep easier and faster. Start with boiled water and add low-sodium bullion cubes for more flavor intensity, then add veggies/potatoes/rice/soaked beans etc. as you go and make thick stews that can be entire low cal meals. Throw in garlic (a press makes this easier) and spices to up the flavor intensity some more while lessening salt dependency and dramatically increasing health benefits.

I'm eating a completely vegan diet these days as per four de trance who posted earlier, but of course one can add lean meats/shellfish and so forth. I use legumes, especially lentils, chickpeas and black beans, for protein which have the added benefit of offering gobs of filling and healthful fiber as well as amino acid profiles with qualities that rival beef. (beef tenderloin=rating of 94, lentils=84, chickpeas=103, black beans=106 with higher numbers equaling better quality) When I ate fleshy things I ate lots of fish and used clams in stews.

Hope everything's looking up soon dude.
Old 04-14-13, 04:09 PM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't read the thread in it's entirety, but I tend to eat very simply due to other health issues, and it has helped me lose, and keep off about 20lbs. I'm at the point now that if I don't eat "good" foods, my body feels and responds very poorly. I'm also a very lazy cook.

My go to recipe is a very large batch of roasted veggies.

1 bunch asparagus
1 pkg brussel sprouts
2 red/green/yellow peppers
2 sweet potatoes
1 large red onion
1 zucchini/squash
2 carrots

Chop it all up, a little veggie oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried oregano, basil, parsley. Bake for 1 hour at 400 degrees. Lasts a week in the fridge (sometimes 4 days for me), goes with everything. It can also be eaten by itself, it is nice and filling.
Old 04-14-13, 04:44 PM
merkong
Cyclist, Runner & TRX'er

Bikes: Steel Bianchi, 29 inch Redline Monocog, a Carbon something someday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 with Jed19 on the peanut butter "de-recommendation";

Soup n' chili -- probably more sodium than you need, especially from the chili. One large Wendy's chili is already near the recommended daily amount for the average person, and you've doubled it with the small portion and soup.
Good luck with your weight loss. What he said ^^... All I could see repeating was the soup. I was around 225 with an athletic build at 6 feet tall but decided that I wanted to cut weight for long-term health and mobility and to try to obtain a better cycling weight. I eat oats for breakfast, ride 7 miles to work and have a piece of fruit and coffee on arrival. For lunch (and dinner) this is key, I eat brown rice and vegetables. Daily, every day, every day. Yeah boring day after day but I make a huge glass cake pan of the mixture, varying vegetables and such, twice a week. I have home-made energy bars for my long ride days. I figure it like this, I try to eat like an athlete. Tons of retraining the brain. I eat when I'm supposed to and not when I want to. Water, water, water... Most cyclists on a diet already see the greater picture and understand that there is required intake and there is unwanted intake. If I make it, I'll take it. If not I can pass. I don't believe I know how tall you are but at 6 foot, my goal weight of 180-185 could make me rail thin so, even though I still weigh in daily in the AM, I now use the abdomen check. Waiting on my 6 pack. Sounds like you have a plan. Good luck. My 2cents. YMMV.
Old 04-14-13, 04:46 PM
merkong
Cyclist, Runner & TRX'er

Bikes: Steel Bianchi, 29 inch Redline Monocog, a Carbon something someday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jared.
Didn't read the thread in it's entirety, but I tend to eat very simply due to other health issues, and it has helped me lose, and keep off about 20lbs. I'm at the point now that if I don't eat "good" foods, my body feels and responds very poorly. I'm also a very lazy cook.

My go to recipe is a very large batch of roasted veggies.

1 bunch asparagus
1 pkg brussel sprouts
2 red/green/yellow peppers
2 sweet potatoes
1 large red onion
1 zucchini/squash
2 carrots

Chop it all up, a little veggie oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried oregano, basil, parsley. Bake for 1 hour at 400 degrees. Lasts a week in the fridge (sometimes 4 days for me), goes with everything. It can also be eaten by itself, it is nice and filling.
^^^ What I do. With my 15-20 cups of *brown* rice cut in. Easy, tasty, healthy, and by goodness, good.
Old 04-15-13, 06:48 PM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup. Brown rice with every meal. It's pretty much the only other starch I consume aside from the sweet potatoes, and rarely, some bread.
Old 04-16-13, 07:19 AM
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I love potatoes and BREAD!!

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.