Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Result against Dangerous driver.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-13, 12:39 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Friday and a member of my bike club was out with another rider and an idiot in a car decided to try and kill them. He hit one of the riders on the back wheel and then ran into the bike. The other rider stopped and found the the car aimed at him and he had to take evasive action to save the bike and himself. Not the normal thing you want to have happen on a bike ride and it was reported to the police.

Today on Facebook this was posted.

'Road Rage' update. I understand that the 'gentleman' who rammed me on Friday afternoon has had his vehicle siezed and is spending his Sunday in the cells under arrest for dangerous driving. He may think twice before trying the same stunt again. Thankyou Polegate Traffic.

Surprising what the Police can do when they have Video proof from a Go-Pro.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-30-13, 12:58 PM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've long been a strong proponent of permanently confiscating vehicles from intoxicated drivers, cell phones from texting drivers, and permanent vehicle seizure in road rage incidents.

I'm thrilled to see some municipalities actually doing just that.
Old 06-30-13, 01:00 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam

'Road Rage' update. I understand that the 'gentleman' who rammed me on Friday afternoon has had his vehicle siezed and is spending his Sunday in the cells under arrest for dangerous driving. He may think twice before trying the same stunt again. Thankyou Polegate Traffic.

Surprising what the Police can do when they have Video proof from a Go-Pro.
I think video recording is going to become quite common on bikes, likely more common than mirrors. Stories like this one move us past the, "Why were you recording your ride? Were you looking for/causing trouble?"
Old 06-30-13, 02:21 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I am glad to hear the driver was caught Stapfam. But I also see this as an opportunity....to get a Go-Pro.
Old 06-30-13, 02:26 PM
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for telling us about this incident, stapfam. I hope this dangerous driver spends a long time in jail.
Old 06-30-13, 02:39 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
There have been several occasions when I wish I had the Video camera with me. Mainly because I think that I am a considerate rider and respect ALL other road users. But it is not only dangerous incidents like this that the driver has to be reported. Verbal abuse coming from drivers is getting commonplace over here and the Police are looking to prosecute- if only to keep their quota's up. Video evidence cannot be disputed as several highly publicised incidents in the UK have proved.

But this is only the first stage of getting retribution against an idiot. There are plenty of pitfalls that can occur before any prosecution can be made but Video evidence cannot be disputed.

I do have a Go-Pro but battery life is the limiting factor. It only lasts about 2 1/2 hours before running out even if it is not filming but is switched on ready to video so I make a point of switching it off for a spell on the more quiet roads. I also have a spare battery for the longer rides so I can switch over when the first stops working.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-30-13, 04:31 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
FIRST, glad the bike people are alive and healthy!

SECOND-what a shame that things have come to this.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 06-30-13, 04:32 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I'd be interested to know what the mechanics are of submitting GoPro evidence. Do you take the camera up to the police station and trust them to pull it off their own computers?

Old 06-30-13, 05:07 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Dangerous driving?!? That sounds like attempted murder or ADW at least.

Glad everyone is OK!

Old 06-30-13, 05:44 PM
GaryPitts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, if you have one camera, do you point it forward or aft???
Old 06-30-13, 07:50 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Good to hear they got the guy and it's better to hear that the riders are ok.
Old 06-30-13, 08:39 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
You know I've always assumed that auto drivers who think they own all of the road was more of a stateside thing but I guess it happens in England as well. Fortunately it doesn't happen too often but it sure gets my blood boiling to want to do foolish stuff when it does happen.....The camera is a much better idea.
Old 06-30-13, 08:47 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Asshat in a cage. He should be facing assault charges, not reckless op.
Old 07-01-13, 12:53 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I'd be interested to know what the mechanics are of submitting GoPro evidence. Do you take the camera up to the police station and trust them to pull it off their own computers?
You cannot view direct from a Go-Pro and I think the Cyclist concerned had a chat with a couple of policemen in the club on how to report the incident. There is a right way and a wrong way. Right way and it has to be investigated. Wrong way and evidence can be dismissed as it was not taken and reported correctly. In this case the incident has been "Broadcast" within the club and the members who are police will not let this one go.

And Various charges can be made. Reckless driving is just a misdemeanour over here but it is a start. The video has not yet been released as it is still evidence that has to be proved and action taken on. To a certain group of individuals over here and a criminal record for assault etc. is a badge of honour. Taking their car and licence away is major to them. Not that it would bother them as they will still drive while suspended.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-01-13, 01:18 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Dangerous driving?!? That sounds like attempted murder or ADW at least.

Glad everyone is OK!
This.

Come after someone in a vehicle and it should be automatic charge of attempted murder.
Old 07-01-13, 02:32 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

You cannot view direct from a Go-Pro and I think the Cyclist concerned had a chat with a couple of policemen in the club on how to report the incident. There is a right way and a wrong way. Right way and it has to be investigated. Wrong way and evidence can be dismissed as it was not taken and reported correctly. In this case the incident has been "Broadcast" within the club and the members who are police will not let this one go.
Did he know they were cops when he was talking to them ?
If he did he's obviously a genius.

Last edited by Zinger; 07-01-13 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-01-13, 07:05 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Glad to hear reports like this.
Old 07-01-13, 09:07 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
Did he know they were cops when he was talking to them ?
If he did he's obviously a genius.
It was the cyclist that was the target talking to club mates that were policemen, not the reckless and deadly driver. Hos relating the circumstances got them to folow through with an official action,I believe.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 07-01-13, 09:38 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
It is worry-some enough that some drivers are careless and are a mortal danger to cyclists. Then there are sick people who would deliberately run us down. There is no simple answer to this.
Old 07-01-13, 09:41 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
It was the cyclist that was the target talking to club mates that were policemen, not the reckless and deadly driver. Hos relating the circumstances got them to folow through with an official action,I believe.

Bill
Bill got it right.

The policemen in the club advised the rider how to report the incident and where. Just file a report at the local police station and it will get lost or will not be processed correctly or the Police will come back at you and advise you that Video Evidence taken without the culprit not knowing he was being filmed is a breach of his rights so no further action will be taken. Too many police do not understand the Law and nothing will be done.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-01-13, 12:28 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Bill got it right.

The policemen in the club advised the rider how to report the incident and where. Just file a report at the local police station and it will get lost or will not be processed correctly or the Police will come back at you and advise you that Video Evidence taken without the culprit not knowing he was being filmed is a breach of his rights so no further action will be taken. Too many police do not understand the Law and nothing will be done.
While realizing that procedures and requirements differ across jurisdictions, (and countries in this case), what is the "right way" to report an incident, at least where you live? That is, if you can you say.
Old 07-01-13, 01:20 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
While realizing that procedures and requirements differ across jurisdictions, (and countries in this case), what is the "right way" to report an incident, at least where you live? That is, if you can you say.
Depends on the officer involved. Reports like this can be a lot of paperwork so it doesn't get far down the line before it gets "Lost". Locally we have a Traffic unit that I did not know existed. Report direct to them and action is taken- providing it involves vehicles. Report to a local Police Station and it can take some while to get through to the Traffic Unit. By Having a "Friendly" policeman in the cycling club (Or two actually) they put the report on the right track from the word go.

There is enough "Interest" in this matter now that if it does not get a "Result"-Then it will be known that there is something wrong with our Police Service.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-01-13, 01:32 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by qcpmsame

Bill
I see. "The cyclist concerned".....duh. I plead exhaustion after my ride yesterday.
Old 07-01-13, 01:55 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Bill got it right.

. . . or the Police will come back at you and advise you that Video Evidence taken without the culprit not knowing he was being filmed is a breach of his rights so no further action will be taken. Too many police do not understand the Law and nothing will be done.

In public places such as roads one can take any pictures or videos without any consent or release forms--otherwise there would not be many news papers or 6 o'clock TV news!

In public places there is no privacy! And in the US like most everywhere else one can take pictures from a public area into a private one--Otherwise paparazzi would not have much of a business!
Old 07-01-13, 02:22 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
In public places such as roads one can take any pictures or videos without any consent or release forms--otherwise there would not be many news papers or 6 o'clock TV news!

In public places there is no privacy! And in the US like most everywhere else one can take pictures from a public area into a private one--Otherwise paparazzi would not have much of a business!
It's not quite as crystal clear as that. There are circumstances in which a the taking of a photo or video in public can be actionable. And some states have passed laws against Paparazzi behavior, which, so far, have survived appeals.

I have heard of DAs using such laws to threaten citizens who obtained video records of police abusing their authority. Bad enough there are rogue police, but rogue DAs trying to suppress evidence against them? Despicable, really.

Here's a decent summary of the subject under California law:

https://articles.ehlinelaw.com/filmin...-legal-or-not/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.