Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Walkers- what stuff do you carry and how do you carry it?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Walkers- what stuff do you carry and how do you carry it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 08:11 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I don't recall the exact reason I bought the waist pack but I have used it for cycling on more than one occasion.

Aaron
I would probably wear it if left to my own devices. But, as noted elsewhere, I have a 13 year old grandson who stops me from being too dorky.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-19-13, 04:15 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I would probably wear it if left to my own devices. But, as noted elsewhere, I have a 13 year old grandson who stops me from being too dorky.
Embarrass the hell out of your kids and they will leave you alone!

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-19-13, 04:26 AM
MichaelW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My 25L backpack, for short range cycling and walking around town, gets filled with junk and every so often I cull it.
Currently it has
250cc water bottle
Swiss army knife
Watch-battery style LED lamp (front/back as backups)
Lipsalve
pen
paper diary
phone
a few plastic bags
wallet (stripped of small coins if possible)
spare insulation (waterproof in summer)
keys
My latest addition is a disposable cigarette lighter. I don't think I have a button compass. You never know.....
This is basically about Every Day Carry (EDC). They guys over at EDC seem to spend an inordinate amount of hard cash on their toys, mine are budget versions.
Old 03-19-13, 08:02 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

I carry bus fare. One time I had a rim crack many miles from home. It would have been a long walk if I didn't have money for the bus.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-20-13, 12:05 PM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
you may also carry a lot more than you actually need.
That's one of the main reasons I make it a point walk to the grocery store. The best way to control impulse buying is to not be able to carry it home.
Old 03-20-13, 01:00 PM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kmv2
That's one of the main reasons I make it a point walk to the grocery store. The best way to control impulse buying is to not be able to carry it home.
Unfortunately for my waistline, it's soooo easy to slip a package of Ghiardelli Sea Salt and Caramel Special Dark Chocolate into my bags, and the supermarket has them right at the checkstand.

Well played, Albertson's. Well played.
Old 03-20-13, 01:05 PM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kookaburra1701
Unfortunately for my waistline, it's soooo easy to slip a package of Ghiardelli Sea Salt and Caramel Special Dark Chocolate into my bags, and the supermarket has them right at the checkstand.

Hehe, I guess I also have a strong will.
I'm known as the food nazi by my gf and her friends.
Old 03-21-13, 03:13 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kookaburra1701

Those are sooooooo good! I am a sucker for any good quality dark chocolate, but then I figured out that I have to walk a half a mile to work off the calories of a single piece!

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-28-13, 06:38 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I walk to and from work, and have been doing so since June 2010 (with the exception of the time we were travelling around the world, and even then we did quite a bit of walking). Prior to June 2010, I was attending uni, and tried to walk as much as I could. For my last 2 years of uni, the closest I could park for free was 2 km from the building where most of my classes were. So I parked further than 2 km out, and walked. And more recently, during this winter, Rowan and I have been going for walks several evenings a week. I've been walking about 15-20 km/week most weeks since about 2007.

When I was car free in Winnipeg, I walked to the grocery store (1 km each way) and that was a great way to make good grocery choices. I also walked to church, to my Dr, to my physiotherapist, and sometimes to and from work (13.6 km round trip).

If I'm just heading to work, I don't carry much. But when I was in uni, and if I figure I'm going to buy anything, I carry a backpack. You can get some good backpacks with support, comfortable straps, etc.
Old 08-28-13, 11:03 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Reading through the other thread, I found it enlightening and refreshing to find so many that either don't mind or actually like to go for a stroll. Which got me thinking about what kind of stuff one typically carries and how they would do so.

Personally, I've just started this week a new regimen of riding to the other side of our town with my wife to the c-store she prefers to patronize on her way to work and then I walk back home. Currently, I travel light for me- keys, phone, ID w/minimal cash and no plastic, and mp3 player. When it gets warmer, I'll have to incorporate hydration and trying to sort out the best hands free option and include some light utility space for small purchases made along the way, as there is a small number, but wide variety, of retail shops, plus the Post Office, Insurance agent, bank is half a block away, and favorite grocer is the last stop before entering my neighborhood.

That's me.... what about y'all?
It's not to hard to figure out how to carry stuff walking. Use either a medium size fanny pack or a small backpack and you're good to go!!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 08-28-13, 01:39 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
My cargo shorts are like carrying a small backpack on my belt, lots of pockets to keep things organized and the aforementioned belt to hang things like my multitool, knife, and keys.

They are also comfortable on the bike which is the criteria I use for most things I use.
Old 08-28-13, 07:02 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
My cargo shorts are like carrying a small backpack on my belt, lots of pockets to keep things organized and the aforementioned belt to hang things like my multitool, knife, and keys.

They are also comfortable on the bike which is the criteria I use for most things I use.
You don't find all that stuff moving around as you pedal? I can't even ride comfortably with a wallet in my pocket..
Old 08-28-13, 08:16 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I always carry my bus card since it's 2 zones giving me the ability to enter New York City for free during the weekends. I don't walk too much and you'll find me during the weekends on one of my bikes or a Xootr kick scooter. I guess I'm still a kid at heart but they are fun. The Xootr and public transit really open up destinations that would be too far to walk. If I'm with the Xootr, I'll also have bicycle gloves along with sunglasses and my Third Eye.

Other than that, I'll carry my wallet, cell phone and IPOD. The IPOD is essential when taking public transit which can get boring so I load up on music. My new toy is an portable XM radio (XMP3i) so I can listen to CNN, MSNBC or 20 other channels while I'm on the bus. I didn't think I was going to like it but boy was I wrong and it's worth the 10 bucks a month! I could pick up some of those channels with my cell phone but it doesn't work too well using transit plus you'll use data minutes. Living close to New York City, I can pick up a signal within the office!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
XMP3_med.jpg (3.9 KB, 4 views)
mgComposite[1].jpg (63.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-28-13, 08:40 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by gerv
You don't find all that stuff moving around as you pedal? I can't even ride comfortably with a wallet in my pocket..
Today I am wearing shorts that have a larger lower pocket on each leg, left side has a pair of pockets that will hold my cel and wallet, right side has a single smaller pocket, and then there are the regular front pockets that I keep fairly empty and back pockets I rarely use.

Nothing rattles around, my leatherman, knife, and keys are on my belt.

My favourite cargo shorts are in the wash, they are zip offs so can be worn as pants and have an even better pocket layout but in either case I don't feel overloaded or imbalanced. They are made of heavier cotton duck and are fairly tough and remarkably nice in the hot weather we have been having as they are breathable and water resistant.

Lightweight cargo shorts suck, these are work grade like Carrhart. My utilikilt is equally good at packing gear and great for strolling and hiking.

Quick pic...

Attached Images
IMG_00000120.jpg (100.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-28-13, 09:54 PM
HappyNanaMO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I carry when walking ...

Originally Posted by no1mad
Reading through the other thread, I found it enlightening and refreshing to find so many that either don't mind or actually like to go for a stroll. Which got me thinking about what kind of stuff one typically carries and how they would do so.
I ride my bike for most errands during the warmer months, but I don't like riding in the dead of the bitter-cold Midwest (St. Louis) winters, so I switch to walking with walking poles (for a more aerobic effect) and a light backpack. I can pack a TON of groceries in my backpack and can easily handle a 25-pound load and still maintain correct posture and momentum. It's also more comfortable and warmer to walk, because it's hilly here in St. Louis, and biking downhill on a cold winter day makes me feel like my lungs will never thaw out. But walking helps me avoid the wind, and ensures that I get a good workout on both trips, as opposed to biking, where many of my return trips are downhill, so a lot of easy-peasy coasting involved. I LOVE my walking poles! That, plus my favorite up-tempo music playlist, helps make the time go by even faster, not to mention helping to ensure that I continue to fit in my clothes even after indulging in one too many holiday goodies from coworkers or social gatherings!
Old 08-28-13, 10:12 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by HappyNanaMO
I ride my bike for most errands during the warmer months, but I don't like riding in the dead of the bitter-cold Midwest (St. Louis) winters, so I switch to walking with walking poles (for a more aerobic effect) and a light backpack. I can pack a TON of groceries in my backpack and can easily handle a 25-pound load and still maintain correct posture and momentum. It's also more comfortable and warmer to walk, because it's hilly here in St. Louis, and biking downhill on a cold winter day makes me feel like my lungs will never thaw out. But walking helps me avoid the wind, and ensures that I get a good workout on both trips, as opposed to biking, where many of my return trips are downhill, so a lot of easy-peasy coasting involved. I LOVE my walking poles! That, plus my favorite up-tempo music playlist, helps make the time go by even faster, not to mention helping to ensure that I continue to fit in my clothes even after indulging in one too many holiday goodies from coworkers or social gatherings!
You said you like walking in winter. What about snow and ice? Any tips for that?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 08-28-13, 10:27 PM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I walk to and from work. I use a small backpack to carry what ends up being mostly rain gear, usually a snack of sorts.

Light windbreaker/rain jacket
Umbrella
Extra pair of socks
Plastic bag
Book
Bandaids and ibuprofen
Water bottle
One transit token

Cell, pen, pocketknife, keys, and ID stay in my pockets. My cell phone is also my music/radio player.
Old 08-29-13, 11:15 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
You said you like walking in winter. What about snow and ice? Any tips for that?
They don't getmuch snow and ice in St Louis, and it doesn't last long when they do. I walk slower and more carefully when it's icy out, and will walk in the grass if it's icy. The grass tends to be less slippery than the icy sidewalks.
Old 08-29-13, 04:33 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Over the years I've done most of my walking in the winter. The winters here aren't snowy and icy, but the ones in Canada were. If you put on relatively heavy boots and go trudging through the snow for 5-ish km several times a week, you build up great calf muscles ... calves of steel.

As for tips ... dress for it. No different, really, than dressing for cycling in the winter or cross-country-skiing in the winter.
Old 09-14-13, 06:57 PM
littledog
Ya never know 'til ya try

Bikes: Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe Trek 820 MTB Trek 7300FX Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being a dork I go with the practical fanny pack. I have three of them,one small and two large, one of the large is without water bottle pockets.
Old 09-14-13, 07:02 PM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
www.walkingforums.net
Old 09-14-13, 07:50 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by catonec
I'm so gullible. A forum cop tricked me.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 09-14-13 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-14-13, 08:30 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I have craptastic balance... my wife and I both have Yak Trax for our boots to make walking on ice as easy as riding on it.
Old 09-15-13, 07:51 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I have craptastic balance... my wife and I both have Yak Trax for our boots to make walking on ice as easy as riding on it.
This has happened to me too many times. Ride 10 miles on the bike with studded tires... not even noticing the sheet of ice I'm riding on.

Get off the bike and immediately fall down...
Old 09-15-13, 09:03 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by littledog
Being a dork I go with the practical fanny pack. I have three of them,one small and two large, one of the large is without water bottle pockets.
Now that I'm married, I'm willing to go with the fanny pack, too. It must have the perfect dorkiness-to-practicality ratio out there. It carries the wallet, keys, phone, and even a balled-up shopping bag, and I can wear gym shorts with no pockets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.