Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Diverge for 2015?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-15, 06:25 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I picked up my Diverge Expert Carbon from Freshbikes in Merrifield, VA last night. Too late for a ride last night, but I'll be on it as soon as it warms up this afternoon. Sounds like the bikes are slowly starting to trickle in.

Last edited by JimF22003; 02-06-15 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-06-15, 05:02 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JimF22003
I picked up my Diverge Expert Carbon from Freshbikes in Merrifield, VA last night. Too late for a ride last night, but I'll be on it as soon as it warms up this afternoon. Sounds like the bikes are slowly starting to trickle in.
You are going to love it. Because I appreciate the geometry of my Roubaix so much, I have considered picking up a Smartweld Diverge as a stablemate.
But honestly I am not a rack toting guy and if I want I can run 28's on my Roubaix. Because I am no longer a dirt or gravel rider...I moved to the south and ride paved roads only, I just don't have a need. But as an overall bike, to me the Diverge is going to be a hard bike to beat...basically a Roubaix on steroids.
Old 02-07-15, 07:23 AM
JimF22003

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did a little 25 miles shakedown cruise, about 80% road, 20% gravel, with about 2800ft of climbing, so it was pretty hilly all the way. I need to work on the saddle position a bit more. I ended up with a bit of saddle sore from the Phenom saddle. I'm used to a Fizik Antares. I think the saddle will be fine, after some adjustment. I may have to go to a 34-tooth cassette however. I was in the lowest gear a lot more than I expected, and had to stand up to get up some of the 16-18% sections. The tires are pretty smooth also and I had some difficulty keeping traction when standing up on the climbs. Overall I'm pretty excited. This is really going to open up a lot more route possibilities where I live.
Old 02-07-15, 08:26 AM
af2nr
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went into the LBS yesterday to check pricing/availability of the Diverge Comp and lo and behold they had one in my size. Took it for about a 5-6 mile test ride, up/down, all pavement. I was quite impressed with the ride! We also took a 33 Tracer Sport off a Crux and it fit fine, although it didn't appear you could go much larger. I also liked the SWAT gear that's available for it. Tire size is still a concern and I need to sell a bike before buying another, but the couch isn't that uncomfortable!
Old 02-07-15, 10:56 AM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lt Stonez
Are you sure about the rack mounts?

From what I can tell, the aluminum has mounts. I am not sure if the carbon does.
Old 02-08-15, 03:17 AM
gezaborbely

Bikes: Merida Matts 5, Specialized Rockhopper comp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am also planning to buy the Diverge. Most likely the A1, or one with the aluminium frame. Although I would prefer the hydraulic brakes, they might be too expensive. Soon I will have the opportunity to try it out on the Specialized "Test the Best". Until then, those of you who already have it, please share your experience/thoughts.
Old 02-08-15, 04:09 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by etw
From what I can tell, the aluminum has mounts. I am not sure if the carbon does.
I am pretty sure both the carbon and Al versions of the Diverge...both have fender and rack mounts.
Old 02-08-15, 04:12 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gezaborbely
I am also planning to buy the Diverge. Most likely the A1, or one with the aluminium frame. Although I would prefer the hydraulic brakes, they might be too expensive. Soon I will have the opportunity to try it out on the Specialized "Test the Best". Until then, those of you who already have it, please share your experience/thoughts.
To me, the big game changer for the Diverge when choosing between carbon and Al aside from price of course is tire width. If you run say a nominal tire width of 30mm with a smooth-ish tire, the ride quality of the Al bike is going to be there. This is quite different compared to Al versus carbon on a pure road bike with 23 or 25mm tires where more of the shock is transmitted to the rider due to higher tire pressure.
So the Smartweld is likely the sweetspot. Of course if you the best Diverge, then carbon is likely the best and the lowest weight.
Old 02-08-15, 04:58 PM
JimF22003

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's my 2nd ride, from today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/252270255

Ride was at least 80% on gravel, but about 12 miles of it was on the C&O canal, so that was dead flat. The rest had some serious steep stuff, like 18 to as much as 22%. There were still icy spots on some of the higher elevations, and on parts of the C&O, so the roads were pretty muddy. Got the bike seriously filthy, but I guess that's the idea

Moved the saddle back about .5" and I think it's dialed in pretty well now:
Old 02-08-15, 05:40 PM
af2nr
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@JimF2203 are you using the stock tires, kind of curious how they would do in less than ideal surfaces?
Old 02-09-15, 07:31 AM
JimF22003

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by af2nr
@JimF2203 are you using the stock tires, kind of curious how they would do in less than ideal surfaces?
Stock tires for now. I think I'll need something knobbier on rougher roads. I lost traction a little bit while standing on some of the steeper sections.
Old 02-14-15, 01:11 PM
baraka.co

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail Comp 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys hello, first post here…

I am interested in Diverge but my LBS doesn't have one for a ride, I doubt I could find any in Croatia as well… question is how to determine best size based on my height and looking at geometry numbers. I know that it's almost impossible over internet but I am looking for comfortable rides in 50km range, nothing too aggressive…
I am 193cm and looking into 58cm vs 61cm diverge (LBS suggests 61cm)

currently riding Crosstrail xxl and no experience with road bikes…

regards
Filip
Old 02-15-15, 12:42 AM
isberg

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Trek DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baraka.co
Guys hello, first post here…
I am 193cm and looking into 58cm vs 61cm diverge (LBS suggests 61cm)

currently riding Crosstrail xxl and no experience with road bikes…

regards
Filip
193cm? I would say you need the 61cm at the very least, you might even want to try the 64cm. I am 201cm tall (99.5cm cycling inseam -- 91cm pants inseam) and got the 64cm Diverge. If anything it's a little too small for me (but those are the breaks when you are taller than 97% of the population).
Old 02-15-15, 02:05 PM
baraka.co

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by isberg
193cm? I would say you need the 61cm at the very least, you might even want to try the 64cm. I am 201cm tall (99.5cm cycling inseam -- 91cm pants inseam) and got the 64cm Diverge. If anything it's a little too small for me (but those are the breaks when you are taller than 97% of the population).
Thanks Iceberg. Found some charts and all put me in 61cm, that settles it for now. Now to find out is Expert 2015 available in Croatia…
Old 02-16-15, 03:08 AM
bigredgrad01

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Looking at the Diverge, the GT Grade, and this Fezzari with full Ultegra, hydro discs and through axles front and rear:
Fezzari Fore CR4 Carbon Road Bike | Fezzari Bikes®
Still on the fence about the early adapter pricing on these hydro-disc road bikes.
Old 02-16-15, 05:54 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredgrad01
Looking at the Diverge, the GT Grade, and this Fezzari with full Ultegra, hydro discs and through axles front and rear:
Fezzari Fore CR4 Carbon Road Bike | Fezzari Bikes®
Still on the fence about the early adapter pricing on these hydro-disc road bikes.
Fezzari...can't help but think that name is a deliberate grab of Ferrari for name recognition...um no thanks...has a VERY different geometry than a Diverge...much shorter stack. Geometry should be no.1 in any bike purchase.
Old 02-16-15, 12:25 PM
bigredgrad01

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Name is funny, that is true. My friend had one, we used to say here he comes with his Ferrari.
It's kind of ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as a dropper post on a road bike:

Old 02-16-15, 12:49 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tumbalascasa
Has anyone read anything about this new bike coming out in 2015? I am confused as to where this bike fits in the line up? It's almost like a Roubaix and kinda like a Tricross. Who will and why would you buy this bike and not one of the others?
Come back from back-to-back test riding bikes with 25mm high-pressure tire and one with 30mm somewhat lower-pressure tires and a shopper may prefer the comfort of the wider tire. Add to that the versatility of Specialized accessories such as fenders and you get something of a jack of all trades bike. I think it will sell as a commuter and recreational weekend bike.
Old 03-01-15, 10:32 AM
RaptorDuner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, Trek MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 58cm Secteur and a friend just bought a 61cm Diverge Elite and other than the physical size, I don't see a difference.
Old 03-02-15, 10:59 AM
Lars Halstrom

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I test rode the carbon 105 and the Smartweld 105 yesterday. The carbon bike was 19.1lbs w/o pedals and the Smartweld was 20.1lbs. I couldn't tell the difference. To me the $700 for carbon wasn't worth it. My existing bike is a 2013 Sirrus Elite Disc with flatbars. Very heavy! The Diverge was inflated to 75lbs in the 30/32c tires. I intend to use it for city riding, gravel trails, and highways. The frame geometry was great for me, saddle was great too. I sure noticed the difference in speed with my existing bike!

Last edited by Lars Halstrom; 03-02-15 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Smartweld spelling
Old 03-06-15, 03:55 PM
baraka.co

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not available in Croatia until summer, probably new 2016 models O_o
we have a Specialized event tomorrow so I will have a chance to see it but only in 56 size. Still looking forward to see it in person…
Old 03-10-15, 02:49 PM
1855Cru

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon, 2011 Cervelo R3, 2011 Trek 2.1, 2011 Trek X-Caliber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up my Diverge Comp Carbon last week and after a couple of shakedown rides to dial everything in, I headed up into the mountains to give it a real examination. I plotted a 73 mile route with more than 10,000ft climbing. 90% was on gravel/mud and 10% tarmac roads. The gravel/mud sections had a bit of everything including 16-20% inclines, long ascents and scary fun descents. The tarmac was mostly downhill including some very fast s-bends and hairpins.

I have to say I was amazed at the bike and how comfortably it handled everything. The gravel sections were a breeze, the standard 32c Roubaix tyres handling them with aplomb. The bike is very nicely balanced and communicative. When things got a little slippery on the gravel descents it was easy to feel and correct. Very impressive. I was surprised that these tyres handled as well as they did in the sloppy mud too. Obviously wider tyres with different tread would have been better but the Roubaix managed to hold on and I even had enough grip to get up some steep ascents provided I kept my butt on the saddle and did not use too low a gear. I was surprised how well the bike climbed considering the heavyish wheels and tyres.

The disc brakes were amazing allowing very precise modulation and plenty of stopping power with great control. As good as they were on the gravel, they were even better on the tarmac descents. In fact the whole bike handled like a race car it was so planted, even at 50mph there was no hint of any steering wobble and a light pull on the levers shed speed very quickly. The wide tyres provided tons of grip and they are very quiet on the road too. I'm not sure there are many bikes that can combine all those qualities of agility, ability, comfort and a rewarding ride.

My Cervelo R3 will be seeing a lot less action this year methinks!!

Last edited by 1855Cru; 03-10-15 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-10-15, 08:46 PM
Cntcasey
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1855Cru
I picked up my Diverge Comp Carbon last week and after a couple of shakedown rides to dial everything in, I headed up into the mountains to give it a real examination. I plotted a 73 mile route with more than 10,000ft climbing. 90% was on gravel/mud and 10% tarmac roads. The gravel/mud sections had a bit of everything including 16-20% inclines, long ascents and scary fun descents. The tarmac was mostly downhill including some very fast s-bends and hairpins.

I have to say I was amazed at the bike and how comfortably it handled everything. The gravel sections were a breeze, the standard 32c Roubaix tyres handling them with aplomb. The bike is very nicely balanced and communicative. When things got a little slippery on the gravel descents it was easy to feel and correct. Very impressive. I was surprised that these tyres handled as well as they did in the sloppy mud too. Obviously wider tyres with different tread would have been better but the Roubaix managed to hold on and I even had enough grip to get up some steep ascents provided I kept my butt on the saddle and did not use too low a gear. I was surprised how well the bike climbed considering the heavyish wheels and tyres.

The disc brakes were amazing allowing very precise modulation and plenty of stopping power with great control. As good as they were on the gravel, they were even better on the tarmac descents. In fact the whole bike handled like a race car it was so planted, even at 50mph there was no hint of any steering wobble and a light pull on the levers shed speed very quickly. The wide tyres provided tons of grip and they are very quiet on the road too. I'm not sure there are many bikes that can combine all those qualities of agility, ability, comfort and a rewarding ride.

My Cervelo R3 will be seeing a lot less action this year methinks!!

Do you think you could take your Diverge out on pavement and ride with 100 miles without a problem?
Old 03-10-15, 09:03 PM
kamalx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tumbalascasa
Has anyone read anything about this new bike coming out in 2015? I am confused as to where this bike fits in the line up? It's almost like a Roubaix and kinda like a Tricross. Who will and why would you buy this bike and not one of the others?
I was quite interested, but now that I have seen the specs
Old 03-11-15, 05:36 AM
1855Cru

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon, 2011 Cervelo R3, 2011 Trek 2.1, 2011 Trek X-Caliber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cntcasey
Do you think you could take your Diverge out on pavement and ride with 100 miles without a problem?
Yep, I think it would be perfect for centuries. The relaxed riding position gives all day comfort and the frame and seat post design mutes road vibrations well. I would just change to some narrower road tyres like the 26c turbo. I plan to ride several road double centuries this year along with a few 400 and 600km brevets. The Diverge will be the perfect bike for those rides.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.