Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Riding 30 miles a day no weight loss?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Riding 30 miles a day no weight loss?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-15, 09:42 AM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
No idea what went on there....

When people say the want to "lose weight" they typically mean they want to reduce their body fat percentage. Cutting salt doesn't do that.
Eating to much salt causes water retention. Cut salt and shed water, which is shedding weight, but not an indication of lost weight.
Old 08-06-15, 10:19 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Too many variables to give advice to the OP situation. I can say that long rides work best for me, as in all day 8 hours + ride time with medium to low intensity, eventually you will burn fat, repeat as necessary.
Old 08-06-15, 11:30 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Like mountain biking? An intense workout.
Old 08-06-15, 12:20 PM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
one inviolate observation.

It takes calories to build muscle. It is quite difficult to build substantial muscle even while in calorie surplus.
Old 08-06-15, 02:04 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
No offense taken. But remember I'm doing this 7 days a week for the last two weeks. So I need that 10mph break otherwise I just can't continue!

If I was doing a ride a few times a week then I agree 10mph would drive me crazy!
It's probably time to get a HRM or Power Meter (and a cadence meter if you don't have one already).

That way you can train smarter. You probably need to take 1 day a week off (if not 2). It does sound like you hit a plateau with your training, so you need to do something to train smarter. I hear a lot of people recommending the Time-Crunched Cyclist. And if you want to lose more fat, then do a google on cycling and ketosis.

GH
Old 08-06-15, 03:21 PM
Van Goghs Ear

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're eating the same as you were 30 pounds ago, then you are most likely consuming too many calories. As your body gets smaller, you require less calories to function (metabolic functions). You'll also burn less calories working out as it requires less energy and effort to move your 200 pound body versus your 230 pound body (like the difference between jumping jacks versus jumping jacks with Dumbells in your hands). This is why people often struggle (myself included) with the last 30-50 pounds in a weight loss regiment.
Old 08-06-15, 03:58 PM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Eat less and exercise more . By more I mean climb more hills
Old 08-06-15, 05:47 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Van Goghs Ear
You'll also burn less calories working out as it requires less energy and effort to move your 200 pound body versus your 230 pound body (like the difference between jumping jacks versus jumping jacks with Dumbells in your hands).
Bicycling doesn't work that way, especially when you set your goals in terms of time (one hour on weekdays and double that on Saturdays or whatever) not distance.

You can loose 50 or 70 pounds and use more energy working out after, although you go faster and see more scenery doing that.

There's 50 pounds between the left side and right side here but no direct connection to weight - I restrained myself and rode more easy miles through Summer, 2014; worked on getting my power back starting February 2015 plus increased volume; and am stuck inside on a trainer since crashing in June.

The top bar graph is kj/week where 1 kj = 1 Calorie. The next two are 10 and 60 minute peak powers in Watts which are joules/second, with 100W 1 Calorie per 10 seconds - 360 an hour at 100W, 720 at 200W.

This is why people often struggle (myself included) with the last 30-50 pounds in a weight loss regiment.
Many food items don't come in proper meal-sized units - a Super Burrito can be two meals. That excess is more of a problem when you have less fat to support at 2-4 Calories per pound per day. Loose 30-50 pounds and your resting metabolic needs drop by 420-1400 Calories a week; and the excess takes you from 1/8 - 5/8 of a pound a week negative (including the water which goes with fat) to steady.

Fortunately a lot of them keep well and reheat later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
power_work.jpg (90.0 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-06-15 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-06-15, 07:13 PM
lurch0038

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
cut carbs and sugars....weight will fall off your body
Old 08-06-15, 07:23 PM
Van Goghs Ear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Bicycling doesn't work that way, especially when you set your goals in terms of time (one hour on weekdays and double that on Saturdays or whatever) not distance.

it was a crude analogy, but the logic is still sound, the more weight you lose, the harder it is to make a drastic calorie deficit. If you lose weight and keep all your other numbers the same as when you were much heavier, you will eventually have to augment your numbers. When I weighed in at 400lbs, my metabolism was around 4100 calories/day according to my nutritionist using the metabolic test (using an oxygen mask thing-a-ma-jiggy). It was easy to create a calorie deficit at this point. Obviously if I kept eating 3000 calories a day, my deficit would no longer be 1100 calories, in fact, I would be gaining weight at this point.

You can loose 50 or 70 pounds and use more energy working out after, although you go faster and see more scenery doing that.
I'm confused, I'm not sure if this is a sentence or a quote from a William S. Burroughs book while he was on heroin..

Many food items don't come in proper meal-sized units - a Super Burrito can be two meals. That excess is more of a problem when you have less fat to support at 2-4 Calories per pound per day. Loose 30-50 pounds and your resting metabolic needs drop by 420-1400 Calories a week; and the excess takes you from 1/8 - 5/8 of a pound a week negative (including the water which goes with fat) to steady.

Fortunately a lot of them keep well and reheat later.
Yes, I agree with this 100%, and is the essence of what I was trying to say. Ultimately, if you can though, it's always best to use scratch ingredients and make your own foods and monitor/control your portions. When I lost my 150 pounds, my measuring cup and kitchen scale for ingredients were my best friends, and I seldom consumed pre-packaged foods. I was definitely taken aback by how many foods I used to think were labeling the nutrition value for the whole serving or package were in fact, incredibly misleading. Even packages of tortilla wraps giving the calories for half a wrap...who eats half a wrap? seriously!
Old 08-06-15, 07:48 PM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lurch0038
cut carbs and sugars....weight will fall off your body
Yeah. I looked at my diary and I'e added in a fare amount of carbs in the last month so I'll have to cut back. Its so easy to let a bowl of cereal, fruit (I'm in CA) etc squeeze into your diet.
Old 08-06-15, 08:36 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
for me 190 is pretty much ideal ( I am 6'2" and decently muscular) so as was posted earlier its sort of hard to give advice without knowing what your expectations are.

I'd say this: sugar in all its forms is really the enemy. complex carbs are fine, but anything refined is just another name for sugar. once you cut sugar intake you will feel like absolute crap for about a month as your body adjusts, but it will adjust and you will be fine.

we eat a lot of rice in my family (asian) and the simple change from white to brown rice meant a drop of 10+ lbs with no change in eating habits.

also, I always tell my wife: its not what you did last week that effects this week: its long term... results come a couple months out if you are doing it right.

i
Old 08-06-15, 10:51 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Some good advice here. My favorites are "cut your carbs"... cut them hard! Less than 50 grams per day for a while, and then keep them under 100g per day. Your body will adjust and learn to use fat for fuel. The other piece of great advice, "up the intensity" do intervals... sprints and/or hills. Or get off your bike for a few days and do some weight bearing exercise that is intense... sprints (running.) Do some resistance exercise with heavy weight (keep the reps below 8... where the last one is all you can do and you might need help.)

It's hard work. And your diet is more important than your exercise when it comes losing weight. I'll bet most of the people in this forum have lost weight and know how to do it... most of us don't have the discipline to keep it off.
Old 08-07-15, 03:35 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had type II when I first came here, I have normal H1AC now. But I played with s blood glucose meter a lot. Whole fruit for me anyway, apples, blueberries, strawberries did not even cause s blip in my blood glucose. The carb is so tied up in fiber IMHO that it is not a big deal. Pineapple would spike me like crazy. Old fashioned oats and cream type soups would spike me too. Today 125 lbs lighter those things are fine.
Old 08-07-15, 05:35 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Hi,

Here's the full story.

Started riding when I was a Clyde (215). Within a month down to 205. Then slow and steady progress over the last 3 months has me at 190.

But for the last two weeks I've been riding 30 miles a day (I'm on a holiday break) but not dropping weight at all. I'm eating the same as before when I was losing weight.

It was suggested its because I'm putting on muscles but I find that hard to believe I'm putting on that much muscle in a 2 week period.

Any suggestions what's going on?
FAR from the full story...what's your stats? Age, ht and wt, do you actually chart and figure what you consume?

Insulin resistance.. goggle it.

GREAT job BTW.. well done.
Old 08-07-15, 06:20 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not only monitor how much you eat, but what you actually eat. you haven't talked about your diet.

have you read In Defense of Food yet? it is based on this quote: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants"

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...efense_of_Food

some other good quotes: "“Don't eat anything incapable of rotting.” and “Avoid food products containing ingredients that are A) unfamiliar B) unpronounceable C) more than five in number or that include D) high-fructose corn syrup”

it's not a perfect book by any means. neither is his other best seller: the Omnivore's Dilemma https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...vore_s_Dilemma

but if you are eating lots of processed foods and not actual food (by actual food, i mean plants with a tiny bit of meat very occasionally) then it's really about, you are what you eat.

if you're bicycling a lot, food is your fuel. you have to give your body good fuel to keep going and perform well. you'll notice it immediately if you have brussel sprouts and broccoli for dinner vs. steak frites.

looking forward to hearing more details OP!
Old 08-07-15, 12:57 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With weight loss, riding only gets you so far. Riding is good for cardio, not so much muscle gain. Start lifting some to build some muscle. Muscle gain and EPOC will burn more calories in the long run. The EPOC from cycling is not so much.

I had had this problem too for a while. Was riding 250 miles a week, 6 days a week. My trainer, coach and dietician all said to reduce cycling and add in weights and HIIT.

Also, eat better and higher quality of foods (when you can afford it). Organic, grass fed, pastured, local etc.

It worked. 140 down and still losing.

Last edited by chefisaac; 08-07-15 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-14-15, 09:53 AM
ozziejones

Bikes: Terra Rover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride as my as I want, eat whatever I want.
Old 08-14-15, 11:17 AM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually a book I just got says that in studies people who exercise burn 10% to 15% less calories at rest, so the deal about raising your basic metabolic rate with an hour a day of exertion may be total malarkey, and if it were 15% that would be 2100 a week if you were eating 2000 a day....so 2100 of a 3500 calorie deficit (if you were striving to lose 1 lb a week) would slow weight loss a LOT.

Bill
Old 08-15-15, 09:20 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi,

Here's the full story.

Started riding when I was a Clyde (215). Within a month down to 205. Then slow and steady progress over the last 3 months has me at 190.

But for the last two weeks I've been riding 30 miles a day (I'm on a holiday break) but not dropping weight at all. I'm eating the same as before when I was losing weight.

It was suggested its because I'm putting on muscles but I find that hard to believe I'm putting on that much muscle in a 2 week period.

Ride faster?
Old 08-16-15, 09:10 PM
mikiek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are not aware, do a little research on the difference between aerobic and anaerobic exercise. One helps fat burning, the other not so much. There are ways to ride your bike to get an aerobic workout and different ways to get an anaerobic workout. They can both be good workouts but the results will be different.
Old 08-16-15, 09:35 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Cycling on 100+ psi tires on pavement is just dammed efficient. I ride 99% of my time on my fat bike on the beach. Very inefficient. So inefficient that I can easily lose 1/2-3/4 pound per week riding say 10 cumulative hours (about 65-70 miles). For me, that's around a 1500-2200 calorie deficit per week. Slightly more than 200 calories per day!

......doesn't take much pizza & beer to mess with that. A diet log of everything you eat will tell you real quick how your daily caloric budget is doing with respect to weight loss.
Old 08-17-15, 03:24 AM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fat bike or super efficient road bike one can burn the same calories per hour :-), if one maintains the same heart rate .
Old 08-17-15, 04:38 AM
VCSL2015

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Caad8 105 '92 Specialized HardRock,

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

Here's the full story.

Just curious.. how is your endurance? Are you doing spurts and inclines? Alot of resistance burns fat I noticed in areas of my body not reflected on the scale. I took the advice of other members here and broke up with my boyfriend, my scale. We broke up in June, and I am learning how to use food as fuel. I dont even like to use the word diet. For me it has negative connotations, but I just dropped processed food and sugars in my diet it took three weeks to ween myself off but learning how to eat real food is a learning process. Anyways, Im much happier after my boyfriend break up and just concentrate on my bike rides which includes mega hills plus mega cross wind, head wind and never tailwind LOL which builds endurance and strength and if weather does not permit me to ride I try to at least walk 4 km. I walk in pouring down rain, wind and snow. Did I mention I HATE walking? But i find my trainer is more boring than a walk so I walk. My point is, you are not superhuman. You will lose weight if you eat real food and exercise.

Last edited by VCSL2015; 08-17-15 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-17-15, 05:41 AM
schnee

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Watch the HBO miniseries on obesity. It's on Youtube, and has a lot of great info.

One fact from it: after you lose a significant amount of weight, as in 10-15% of your total weight, your metabolism drops 20%.

That's true of everyone, and it never goes away.

It's disconcerting, because your stomach is used to being more full, but cut your portion sizes a bit more and tough out the first week. You'll adapt and it'll feel natural again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.