Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Pickle Juice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-15, 03:17 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
This is the story that I read, also.

Use electrolytes in your water to try to prevent cramps. May not help, but it won't hurt your body, overall.

Have a packet of pickle juice if you do get a cramp. It probably doesn't help as a preventative.

After the ride, drink something that has some carbs and proteins in it to help you recover.

GH
Except the part about your whole post is factually incorrect.

Pickle juice works before, during and after exercise better than anything else I have ever tried. If I drink it during and after I have no cramps. I am not the only one with this experience. Times that I do not drink it I do sometimes have cramps, sometimes sever ones.
Old 09-14-15, 03:33 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
Except the part about your whole post is factually incorrect.

Pickle juice works before, during and after exercise better than anything else I have ever tried. If I drink it during and after I have no cramps. I am not the only one with this experience. Times that I do not drink it I do sometimes have cramps, sometimes sever ones.
The article specifically states that the effects of the pickle juice for a cramp occurred befored the pickle juice could get into the bloodstream, so it had to be some type of nervous system effect.

And the contents of the pickle juice is similar enough to other electrolyte drinks that they would have the same effect before, during, and after the ride.

While you have anecdotal evidence, it could just be the placebo effect in action. The studies reported in the article, used double-blind methodology to get their results.

GH
Old 09-14-15, 04:16 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

The problem is there are other studies that conclude exactly what I am saying which is it works and science does not currently know why. The same studies I have read have said that cramping may not be related to electrolyte imbalance. Placebo effect does not cause cramps 37 miles into a century that do not go away with electrolyte replacement. Placebo effect does not explain cramping when I am well hydrated and have had plenty of electrolytes after a long ride. Pickle juice has prevented cramping in both those situations for me and others. Placebo effect or not guess what I am going to keep doing?

You wish to discount my anecdotal evidence, fine. Where is your evidence where you have ridden several centuries (metric, imperial, and double imperial) with pickle juice and experienced no cramping after? When did you spend 10+ hours on a trainer in one day and had no cramps during or after and drank pickle juice? Often times anecdotal evidence is better than peer reviewed science. Science asks the wrong questions and as often as not has reached conclusions that were not supported by the evidence or study methods. If you have cramps during or after exercise try pickle juice, it may be the cure you are seeking. If you do not have cramps then consider yourself lucky.
Old 09-14-15, 04:35 PM
ColaJacket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've worked in the pharmaceutical field, so I'm skeptical of claims without good studies. Even claims backed up by anecdotal evidence.

That being said, if it's legal to buy the product, and the product is not dangerous. If you think it will help you, then go for it.

That being said, the definition of a placebo effect is there is nothing to explain it other than your brain thinking it will help, so it does help.

And there is plenty of emperical evidence that cramps are caused by going harder than you are prepared to go on that day. And that pickle juice only works to stop a cramp that is in process. And several of them have been linked in this thread.

GH
Old 09-14-15, 05:25 PM
Black wallnut 

Originally Posted by ColaJacket

And there is plenty of emperical evidence that cramps are caused by going harder than you are prepared to go on that day. And that pickle juice only works to stop a cramp that is in process. And several of them have been linked in this thread.

GH
Hence the problem with science. Testing to determine that "cramps are caused by going harder than you are prepared to go" may tell you if that is the cause or it might just give you a result that has no cause/effect relationship to the conclusions drawn. There must be more reasons to cramps than going harder......

Science has been wrong before I.E. dietary cholesterol vs blood cholesterol.

I've been a customer of "the pharmaceutical field" and have taken two drugs with known side effects of higher blood glucose readings before being dx as diabetic. I take neither now and guess what, I'm no longer considered as diabetic by my Dr. I'm skeptical of any claims but much more-so to those made by anyone in big pharma.

Pickle juice just happened to be something that I stumbled upon. One day I just decided to drink some, sounded good for some reason. This was after I started riding lots. It hit the spot. It was some time later when I read about it working for cramps. I tried it and no cramps. Cause and effect, I don't know but when I've used it I have not had cramps, when I've not used it I sometimes have had cramps, sometimes even rather early into a ride when I was well rested and well fed and completely hydrated.

The conclusions you have drawn from the source cited and others do not agree with what I have found by reading and with my own anecdotal evidence.
Old 09-14-15, 09:42 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
Water with added electrolytes works before, during and after exercise better than anything else I have ever tried. If I drink it during and after I have no cramps. I am not the only one with this experience. Times that I do not drink it I sometimes have cramps.

As much as I like pickles there's no way you'd convince me to drink a bunch of disgusting pickle juice. Sounds like a good weight-loss plan, though. I'm losing my appetite just thinking about it
Old 09-14-15, 09:47 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
Water with added electrolytes works before, during and after exercise better than anything else I have ever tried. If I drink it during and after I have no cramps. I am not the only one with this experience. Times that I do not drink it I sometimes have cramps.

As much as I like pickles there's no way you'd convince me to drink a bunch of disgusting pickle juice. Sounds like a good weight-loss plan, though. I'm losing my appetite just thinking about it
For me water with Hammer Nutrition "Heed" or Nuun hydration tablets (two per 29 ounces of water), or Hammer nutrition "Fizz" hydration tablets that also have calcium (two per 29 ounce bottle) just aren't enough to keep the cramping after a ride at bay, and the last few rides I have cramped at the beginning of the ride.

The Pickle juice helps.
Old 09-15-15, 06:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
I am surprised at all the cramping going on out there. I sweat like a pig just thinking about riding, I tend to ride long distances, and it's been known to get hot and humid in my parts. I maybe get an episode of cramping once or twice every couple of years. When it happens, it's almost always in the car while returning from a ride when I can't stretch my legs out.
Old 09-15-15, 07:44 AM
grampa.sjb

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, Surly Disc Trucker, Santa Cruz Blur

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing to do with cramping, but my wife makes an awesome cole slaw with dill pickle juice and a bit of chopped dill pickles! Fantastic with a pulled pork sandwich!
Old 09-15-15, 07:58 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
You know how you periodically read about a fad diet or 'health trick' that is rapidly gaining in popularity, and you say to yourself 'that sounds totally stupid', and then a year later the trend has disappeared and no-one you talk to would ever admit having tried it?

Well, I just read about using pickle juice as a recovery drink.
Old 09-15-15, 08:22 AM
ColaJacket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
You know how you periodically read about a fad diet or 'health trick' that is rapidly gaining in popularity, and you say to yourself 'that sounds totally stupid', and then a year later the trend has disappeared and no-one you talk to would ever admit having tried it?

Well, I just read about using pickle juice as a recovery drink.
Because of the studies linked in this thread, I'm thinking about getting a small plastic container to hold pickle juice.

But, I'll only use it, if I have a cramp. Otherwise, I'll use one of the electrolyte additives (e.g. Nunn, Skratch, Osmos, etc.) in my water for before, during, and after a ride. They'll work just as well to prevent cramps as pickle juice. But it does look like the studies show that pickle juice can actually help stop/ease an active cramp.

And as a fairly new rider, I'm sure I'll run into circumstances where I'm pushing myself more than I have before, which seems to be the cause of cramps.

GH
Old 09-15-15, 08:37 AM
Catinella

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX (2015), Trek 1500 SLR (2005)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't want a pickle. Just want to ride my cicle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvLtNBm1yyA
Old 09-15-15, 08:42 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Catinella
I don't want a pickle. Just want to ride my cicle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvLtNBm1yyA
And I don't want a tickle I just want to ride my motor-cycle..... ahhh good old Arlo Guthrie.

I think the majority of my cramping/leg muscles not releasing is due to the Metformin (an oral medication for diabetes), but if I don't take it my fasting glucose numbers go higher than I am willing to accept (140-160 range), I know massage helps the tightness/cramping but around here there are very few options.

We are in a town of 3000 in the middle of the desert in NE Oregon.
Old 09-15-15, 08:45 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I am surprised at all the cramping going on out there. I sweat like a pig just thinking about riding, I tend to ride long distances, and it's been known to get hot and humid in my parts. I maybe get an episode of cramping once or twice every couple of years. When it happens, it's almost always in the car while returning from a ride when I can't stretch my legs out.
Some people suffer from cramping more than others. It's not because you're doing it right and others are doing it wrong.
Old 09-15-15, 09:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
It's not because you're doing it right and others are doing it wrong.
Never suggested that was the case. I know a lot of people who ride and I ride with a lot of different people. While I do ride with one person who seems to have somewhat frequent episodes of cramping (The GF and I secretly call him Sir Cramp-A-Lot, but don't tell him that ), it's not something I see frequently in my cycling universe.
Old 09-15-15, 09:13 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm really grateful I not suffer from cramps. But as to placebo effect, some science has shown that if you TELL people they are taking a performance enhancing drug they perform around 3% better even on a placebo :-). So we need to start a rumor that fresh cat poo rubbed behind the left ear prevents and cures cramps, and see where it goes :-)
Old 09-15-15, 09:15 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Never suggested that was the case. I know a lot of people who ride and I ride with a lot of different people. While I do ride with one person who seems to have somewhat frequent episodes of cramping (The GF and I secretly call him Sir Cramp-A-Lot, but don't tell him that ), it's not something I see frequently in my cycling universe.
Yeah, my reply sounded more terse than it was meant. I really meant was: count yourself lucky!

I tend to only get cramping after very long rides (e.g. century), but when it happens it sucks big time. I also suffer from cramping in the middle of the night, i.e. waking up with a leg cramp. Not pleasant, and can really screw up riding because if I don't get to it quickly I end up with a pulled muscle.

Last Century I did my buddy I was riding with collapsed of his bike with a terrible leg cramp 99.2 miles into the century! Great timing.
Old 09-15-15, 09:29 AM
Black wallnut 

Originally Posted by dr_lha
Yeah, my reply sounded more terse than it was meant. I really meant was: count yourself lucky!

I tend to only get cramping after very long rides (e.g. century), but when it happens it sucks big time. I also suffer from cramping in the middle of the night, i.e. waking up with a leg cramp. Not pleasant, and can really screw up riding because if I don't get to it quickly I end up with a pulled muscle.
Those of you that don't get cramps seem to not appreciate how much it sucks. I mostly have cramps hours after a ride. Sometimes waking in the middle of the night with one. It is rare that i have a cramp while riding but it has happened twice on long rides. Once this spring about 37 miles into a century and last year 160 miles into a double century. In the later slamming Gatorade and water did not relieve it, dehydration likely played a part on this one. This year I did not cramp, nor did I the year before on the same ride. This year I rode faster and consumed pickle juice before, during and after. No cramps.

Some folks like to mix tequila with fruit juices, others like myself prefer it straight with salt and lime.
Old 09-15-15, 09:59 AM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife gets them, not anything related to athletics though. But she utterly resists anything like eating a few things rich in minerals and electrolytes if it is not already part of the food choices she has made for the last 50 years.
Old 09-16-15, 07:07 AM
lurch0038

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Worked for me on a ride. I was crashing and could feel the cramps coming....took the pickle juice and was able to finish the ride without a cramp.
Old 09-16-15, 06:12 PM
Ghefty

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro700, BikeE NX, BikeE AT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend from Texas gave me a few bottles of Pure Pickle Juice on a century ride many years ago, no cramps on that ride. Thanks Ray! I've used pickle juice ever since, I find that most convenience stores on my routes have prepackaged pickles with juice so I don't bother carrying the bottled stuff anymore. But that stuff does work, or at least my brain believes it enough to keep my muscles for cramping up.
Old 09-17-15, 07:24 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One theory is blood acidification in response to metabolism. Perversely, some acids seem to have alkalizing effect on the blood.

About pharma co "science" when there is motivated selection bias in the test results that are promoted vs. the ones that are hidden... It's not science anymore.
Old 09-17-15, 07:27 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One cause of cramps, or spasms, in some people is magnesium deficiency.
Another is potassium deficiency.

Dietary ingest has been shown to be far more effective in raising blood levels then supplementation.
Old 09-18-15, 03:22 AM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recently read that iron and magnesium do not play well together, so if you supplement with say a calcium magnesium supplement you should alternate weeks if you also supplement iron. Pumpkin seeds have loads of magnesium
Old 09-18-15, 04:28 AM
NYSteve

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Except the part about your whole post is factually incorrect"

This whole tread is based on anecdotal evidence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.