Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Jobst Brandt and how wheels hold load

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Jobst Brandt and how wheels hold load

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-16, 01:54 PM
waterlaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Putting this another way, do this thought experiment. Hang a weight on a spring. Hook another spring with a platform underneath the weight so that the two springs are pulling on the weight up and down. Different weights will equilibrate at different heights, but no matter what weight you use, there is no change in energy so long as the springs aren't bottomed out. Is there? Yes weight is moving up and down and force and motion define change in energy, but the opposite is taking place inside the springs. Unless I am mistaken that is a simplified model of the wheel question we are discussing.
This is a simplified model but it is actually perfect to show my point. If you have two preloaded springs pulling in different directions and you apply some force to the system (say you are pulling down) the energy increases.
Old 08-20-16, 01:55 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
note that the steel rod in this simpler case is very analogous to the spokes in a wheel. Both are the elements that are supplying the preload to other elements in the system (rim in the case of the wheel, the cement block in the simpler example). The fact that the rod loses spring tension energy when a load is applied shows that there's a fundamental problem with your assumption that the spoke tension energy in a wheel must increase when a load is applied. Neither the steel rod nor the spokes are the only elements in their respective systems. You accept this for the rod/block system but are not acknowledging it for the spokes/rim/hub system.

The spoke/rim/hub system is more complicated to understand. If you do the proper finite element analysis of it you'll find that a few spokes (those at the bottom) lose a lot of energy while some others gain a tiny amount, but the sum of all the spoke tension energy does decrease.
+1

Well explained.
Old 08-20-16, 01:57 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by waterlaz
No. Because I know that the total energy of the wheel is increased. I can even calculate it (just integrate force over deflection).
Total energy of the wheel does not equal the sum of the spoke tension energies.
Old 08-20-16, 01:57 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
Where do the extra 50 N come from?

Lower spoke looses 50 N (so there's less pull on the upper spoke by the same 50 N), the weight gives 50 N, where does the extra 50 come from?
By definition tension means force pulling on the ends of an object. Isn't the 50 N weight pulling on the top spoke?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-20-16, 02:00 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Putting this another way, do this thought experiment. Hang a weight on a spring. Hook another spring underneath the weight so that the two springs are pulling on the weight up and down. Different weights will equilibrate at different heights, but no matter what weight you use, there is no change in energy so long as the springs aren't bottomed out. Is there? Yes weight is moving up and down and force and motion define change in energy, but the opposite is taking place inside the springs. Unless I am mistaken that is a simplified model of the wheel question we are discussing.
The error of this analogy is that lower spring is not pulling with less force when more weight is applied.
Old 08-20-16, 02:02 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

This is a simplified model but it is actually perfect to show my point. If you have two preloaded springs pulling in different directions and you apply some force to the system (say you are pulling down) the energy increases.
No, because you relieve potential energy inside the lower spring...assuming you are pulling down. You are exerting energy, but the spring has less.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-20-16, 02:03 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

By definition tension means force pulling on the ends of an object. Isn't the 50 N weight pulling on the top spoke?
50 N is pushing the hub down, reducing the tension of the bottom spoke by the same amount. So while the 50 N form the weight does increase tension of the upper spoke, the bottom one is pushing by 50 N less force - so the tension of the upper spoke remains the same.

At the same time, similar thing happens in the hub with preloaded bearings.

That's why it all works so nicely and lasts long. That is also one of the reasons why, when spokes (or bearings) come loose - damage quickly happens.

Tyre and rim do not have this "luxury", so they get all the beating directly, and without any relief (of course, the whole wheel, including the rim, does enjoy some relief from tyre flex working as a shock absorber).

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 08-20-16 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-20-16, 02:04 PM
rpenmanparker 

Where do the extra 50 N come from?

Lower spoke looses 50 N (so there's less pull on the upper spoke by the same 50 N), the weight gives 50 N, where does the extra 50 come from?
The lower spoke doesn't lose any tension until the hub moves down. That is like relieving the pull on a spring. And when the hub moves, the upper spoke increases in tension by 50 N. The upper increases to 150 as the lower decreases to 50.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-20-16, 02:05 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,647 Times in 3,484 Posts
I could easily settle this, seeing as how I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night, but you guys are having fun kicking this around so why should I rain on the parade.
Old 08-20-16, 02:05 PM
waterlaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Note that the steel rod in this simpler case is very analogous to the spokes in a wheel. Both are the elements that are supplying the preload to other elements in the system (rim in the case of the wheel, the cement block in the simpler example). The fact that the rod loses spring tension energy when a load is applied shows that there's a fundamental problem with your assumption that the spoke tension energy in a wheel must increase when a load is applied. Neither the steel rod nor the spokes are the only elements in their respective systems. You accept this for the rod/block system but are not acknowledging it for the spokes/rim/hub system.

The spoke/rim/hub system is more complicated to understand. If you do the proper finite element analysis of it you'll find that a few spokes (those at the bottom) lose a lot of energy while some others gain a tiny amount, but the sum of all the spoke tension energy does decrease.
I assume that the rim is very flexible but incompressible (this is very close to what happens in classical low profile rims). That way it can not store any energy.
If you apply the same logic to your example with concrete then the concrete does not deform with extra load and the tension of the steel rod does not change.
Old 08-20-16, 02:07 PM
waterlaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Huh? See the spring example.
I am referring exactly to your spring example. One spring will lose energy but the other spring will get slightly more energy.
Old 08-20-16, 02:09 PM
rpenmanparker 

50 N is pushing the hub down, reducing the tension of the bottom spoke by the same amount. So while the 50 N form the weight does increase tension of the upper spoke, the bottom one is pushing by 50 N less force - so the tension of the upper spoke remains the same.

At the same time, similar thing happens in the hub with preloaded bearings.

That's why it all works so nicely and lasts long. That is also one of the reasons why, when spokes (or bearings) come loose - damage quickly happens.

Tyre and rim do not have this "luxury", so they get all the beating directly, and without any relief.
No, the lower spoke cannot lose tension (nipple unchanged) unless it shortens. It shortens in response to the hub moving down. When the hub moves down, the upper spoke must lengthen to allow it. That can only occur when it is under higher tension. Modulus X elongation = stress or load. Higher elongation means higher load (tension). If the hub goes down, the tension in the upper spoke must go up, and the tension in the lower spoke must go down.

This is really ironclad.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-20-16, 02:09 PM
waterlaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Total energy of the wheel does not equal the sum of the spoke tension energies.
It pretty much does.
Old 08-20-16, 02:12 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

The lower spoke doesn't lose any tension until the hub moves down. That is like relieving the pull on a spring. And when the hub moves, the upper spoke increases in tension by 50 N. The upper increases to 150 as the lower decreases to 50.
Rim slightly deforms at the lowest part. That allows for the lower spoke to loose some tension.

In addition to that - if the lower spoke looses tension by amount of X N, the upper spoke gets 100 N + 50 N (load) - X N (the amount of lost tension from the lower spoke).

The X is dangerously close to the load applied.
Old 08-20-16, 02:32 PM
rpenmanparker 

Rim slightly deforms at the lowest part. That allows for the lower spoke to loose some tension.

In addition to that - if the lower spoke looses tension by amount of X N, the upper spoke gets 100 N + 50 N (load) - X N (the amount of lost tension from the lower spoke).

The X is dangerously close to the load applied.
Please don't get offended, but lose is spelled with only one o. I figured that if this were going to continue for a while, I could either mention it or go crazy.

We were ignoring deformation. If you consider deformation, you have to consider that the top of the rim flattens too.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-20-16, 02:34 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Please don't get offended, but lose is spelled with only one o. I figured that if this were going to continue for a while, I could either mention it or go crazy.

We were ignoring deformation. If you consider deformation, you have to consider that the top of the rim flattens too.
No problems.

Still, with a perfectly rigid rim, there remains the amount of lowered tension of the lower spoke, that is deducted from the 50 N increase. How much is it? Probably about 50 N.
Old 08-20-16, 02:50 PM
rpenmanparker 

No problems.

Still, with a perfectly rigid rim, there remains the amount of lowered tension of the lower spoke, that is deducted from the 50 N increase. How much is it? Probably about 50 N.
But it is added back on the upper spoke. Why do you keep ignoring that? Otherwise the two spokes wouldn't meet each other...with the hub between them of course. You are double dipping the reduction of tension in the lower spoke, saying the lower spoke has reduced tension, AND you have to subtract it from the upper spoke as well. You can't consider it twice.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-20-16, 02:52 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

But it is added back on the upper spoke. Why do you keep ignoring that? Otherwise the two spokes wouldn't meet each other...with the hub between them of course.
Back to the beginning.

100 N each spoke. OK?

50 N load.

If the lower spoke looses tension with that load, the upper spoke gains tension: 100 N minus lost tension of the lower spoke, plus the added 50 N load. That results in less than 150 N. Exactly 100 N.
Old 08-20-16, 03:26 PM
rpenmanparker 

Back to the beginning.

100 N each spoke. OK?

50 N load.

If the lower spoke looses tension with that load, the upper spoke gains tension: 100 N minus lost tension of the lower spoke, plus the added 50 N load. That results in less than 150 N. Exactly 100 N.
I think I was wrong! I wasn't considering the total forces on each side had to be the same. Some serious simultaneous equations needed. Let me work on it.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-20-16, 03:50 PM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I assume that the rim is very flexible but incompressible (this is very close to what happens in classical low profile rims). That way it can not store any energy.
If you apply the same logic to your example with concrete then the concrete does not deform with extra load and the tension of the steel rod does not change.
We could just as well hypothesize that the spokes are flexible but unstretchable and therefore can not store any energy. But I thought the idea was to consider the situation with real materials in the real world.

Concrete is not easily compressed, but if a preload is applied using the steel rod and a weight (wt. < preload) is then applied on top of it the result is that the tension in the rod is reduced because of the weight.

A paper giving an FEA of bicycle wheels was already presented at:
https://www.ewp.rpi.edu/hartford/~ern...inalReport.pdf
As expected it shows large reductions in tension of a few spokes at the bottom of the wheel and much smaller increases in other spokes. There's a table with the forces on p. 17 and you could calculate the corresponding stored energies. But just glancing at the table makes it clear that the sum of the spoke stored energies went down when the load was applied.
Old 08-20-16, 05:51 PM
waterlaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Concrete is not easily compressed, but if a preload is applied using the steel rod and a weight (wt. < preload) is then applied on top of it the result is that the tension in the rod is reduced because of the weight.
If concrete does not compress then the tension in the rod will not decrease.
Old 08-20-16, 06:22 PM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If concrete does not compress then the tension in the rod will not decrease.
As I said before, I thought we were interested in real materials in the real world - not some fictitious material. I said that concrete doesn't compress easily - not that there is no compression at all.

If you want to dispute the FEA studies of rim loading that have been done, then you need to either show exactly where their errors are or do your own study that supports your claim. In the latter case we'd then need to examine both yours and the previous ones to see where they differ and which one should be trusted. Just repeating the claim based on energy conservation when it's clear that the spokes by themselves do not constitute a closed and isolated system is not convincing.
Old 08-20-16, 06:51 PM
waterlaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I said before, I thought we were interested in real materials in the real world - not some fictitious material. I said that concrete doesn't compress easily - not that there is no compression at all.

If you want to dispute the FEA studies of rim loading that have been done, then you need to either show exactly where their errors are or do your own study that supports your claim. In the latter case we'd then need to examine both yours and the previous ones to see where they differ and which one should be trusted. Just repeating the claim based on energy conservation when it's clear that the spokes by themselves do not constitute a closed and isolated system is not convincing.
Then I don't understand why you keep pushing the experiment with concrete. You say that the rod loses energy. Well I say that it goes to concrete. Then you say that concrete doesn't compress easily. Well if it doesn't compress then the rod doesn't lose tension and doesn't lose energy. If compresses just a bit well then the concrete block will take just a bit of energy and the rod will lose only a bit.

So I don't understand your point very much. I've said that a couple of times that some parts of the system can lose energy. It's the system as a whole that can't. Either be it a rod with the concrete block or spokes with a rim.
Whether the rim can store much energy is another question.

And I'm not disputing the FEA studies. In fact I've seen it as such that supports my claims. It does look like the total energy of spokes decreases so the rim plays greater role than I thought. I'll have to think about it.
Old 08-20-16, 07:11 PM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
And I'm not disputing the FEA studies. In fact I've seen it as such that supports my claims. It does look like the total energy of spokes decreases so the rim plays greater role than I thought. I'll have to think about it.
Sounds like we're in complete agreement then.
Old 08-20-16, 09:12 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No. Because I know that the total energy of the wheel is increased. I can even calculate it (just integrate force over deflection).
Easier said than done. Do you have the function for the behavior of the rim, i.e deflection at every point on the rim when the weight is applied? Or the data for a specific case?
Waterlaz is correct. You can calculate the amount of energy stored in the wheel just by noting the force applied to the hub and measuring the vertical movement of the hub in response to that force. Energy is force times distance. This stored energy has to be stored somewhere in the wheel; it is stored by the rim seeing more compressive forces. But you don't have to calculate the exact storage distribution to know the total amount of energy that was stored.

Like a powermeter. you don't need to measure all the places where power is dissipated (aero loss, elevation gain, rolling friction, etc.) to calculate the power out of your legs. You can simply measure the force and deflection of a load component and calculate power directly. Same calculation as above, in fact.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 08-20-16 at 09:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.