Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Thinking of training for Masters World Championships 2017 in LA

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Thinking of training for Masters World Championships 2017 in LA

Old 10-27-16, 07:21 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Ah! Thanks for the explanation!

Would it be reasonable to install Porto's inside or does that present a ventilation issue? Any other options, temporary or not?
For major events they've always rented portables and put them right outside the rollup door. Things like Nats you get the plastic drop-off ones. If you're lucky they put a light post overhead so you don't have to aim in the dark after dark.

For events like worlds and world cup they generally got the nice movie industry trailers that are actual restrooms. I'd hope they'd spring for those for Masters Worlds, but they're definitely more expensive than the cheap plastic ones.

As far as installing them inside: It's southern California, why would you do that? It hasn't rained in years and it's nice out almost all the time. A substantial fraction of us have our home laundry machines outside, either in an outside closet or even just under a short piece of roof with open sides.
Old 10-27-16, 07:29 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
Yeah, I heard something similar. That the initial plan was a $25million facility but it wound up getting built for $10 million. Or something along those lines.
I think the total facility cost was closer to $20M. Just the wood track was probably around $3M. If you look closely at the restrooms on the concourse, they aren't structurally part of the main building. They were designed as options that could be easily descoped if the budget ran high, or built if they were in budget.

There are a lot of options for what they could do for olympics, depending on budgets. Anything from putting something amounting to a temporary enclosure in the back with the restrooms/anti-doping etc, to building a whole new facility.
Old 10-29-16, 09:58 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I got a call from my training partner this afternoon about the UCI Worlds in Carson next October. She was quite distressed! We planned to race the team sprint as a pair. However. UCI does NOT have an age category for us. They have 55-64 for the pursuits and team sprints for men and for women and that's that. My racing age will be 65 and her's will be 77. We're competitive, but we DO NOT want to race in the 55-64 age group. We're not competitive with 55 year olds! That is a little unfair, don't you think?

Does anyone know who or whom I can petition, write, threaten, what ever to have a 65+ age category added for the pursuits and team sprints?
Old 10-30-16, 12:13 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
I got a call from my training partner this afternoon about the UCI Worlds in Carson next October. She was quite distressed! We planned to race the team sprint as a pair. However. UCI does NOT have an age category for us. They have 55-64 for the pursuits and team sprints for men and for women and that's that. My racing age will be 65 and her's will be 77. We're competitive, but we DO NOT want to race in the 55-64 age group. We're not competitive with 55 year olds! That is a little unfair, don't you think?

Does anyone know who or whom I can petition, write, threaten, what ever to have a 65+ age category added for the pursuits and team sprints?
Usually when they don't offer events it's because they don't have enough participants to have a proper field. My guess is that's the case here.

You might have a case if there were 4-5 pairs of 65+ year old women looking to do team sprint, but unfortunately, that's probably not the case.

I hate to say it, but your letter would probably be received as an attempt to get an easy World Championship because you two would be the only ones in the division.
Old 10-30-16, 07:27 AM
Poppit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The womens team events are usually open age group because there isn't enough entries to split them as they do the men's.
Old 10-30-16, 10:16 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by carleton
Usually when they don't offer events it's because they don't have enough participants to have a proper field. My guess is that's the case here.

You might have a case if there were 4-5 pairs of 65+ year old women looking to do team sprint, but unfortunately, that's probably not the case.

I hate to say it, but your letter would probably be received as an attempt to get an easy World Championship because you two would be the only ones in the division.
That's the case with women's racing overall when it comes to category and age groups. Small fields/entries means combined, or not at all.

I had a thought they'd view us as trying to get an easy world championship. It would be difficult to convince anyone otherwise. If they understood what it is to be a high level 65+ athlete (male or female) trying to compete against/with high level athletes in their 50's, they might think otherwise. That playing field is certainly tilted, no matter how gifted the older athlete.

I don't know that we'd be inclined to spend the entry fee to line up against other world class women 10 to 20 years our junior.
Old 10-30-16, 11:22 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Is there a web site available yet detailing the 2017 masters worlds in Carson?
Old 10-30-16, 11:31 AM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel
Is there a web site available yet detailing the 2017 masters worlds in Carson?
Seven posts above: Home - Masters Worlds LA
Old 10-30-16, 12:58 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Regulations and UCI Articles - Masters Worlds LA
Old 10-30-16, 03:20 PM
Poppit

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This year there were 13 teams in the women's TS and 10 in the TP, our club put in 3 of the TS teams and 2 of the TP teams. They didn't split the age groups this time and I don't think any of us are coming to LA next year so there's got to be a significant number of new teams next year for them to change their thinking. We weren't that happy this year as we were competing against younger riders but that was how it was. You could enter on the day as well so the organisers didn't know how many teams they were going to get.
Old 10-30-16, 05:07 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Poppit
This year there were 13 teams in the women's TS and 10 in the TP, our club put in 3 of the TS teams and 2 of the TP teams. They didn't split the age groups this time and I don't think any of us are coming to LA next year so there's got to be a significant number of new teams next year for them to change their thinking. We weren't that happy this year as we were competing against younger riders but that was how it was. You could enter on the day as well so the organisers didn't know how many teams they were going to get.
I've got to get my team mate on board with that. She's pretty upset about this whole thing right now. Still, we have 12 months before the event. That said, the sooner this gets settled (if it's going to), the better we'll feel.

Our district track championship, at Hellyer this past July, had no team pursuit or team sprint women's offerings above 45+. That's not good. I sure as heck don't want to sprint against a 45 y/o woman. I'm not saying who would be better, the proof is in the pudding, but the odds aren't good. Anyway, that's not a solid argument when my own district doesn't give me a field to play in.

For road events, some of the RD's offered masters women 55+ fields (raced with 3/4 or M35+). And, we had a masters women 55+ series in the district. I put that one together. I guess I've got to get out there and do some promoting on the track side of the house, too.
Old 10-31-16, 02:16 AM
Poppit

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Over here we've also got the LVRC, LVRC - Social Activities

They do their age groups differently to the UCI and you can also enter a mixed team. They've just had their National Championships, we didn't enter many as most of the women are on a bit of down time after the worlds, my wife didn't enter as we were in London watching Wiggins, Cav, etc at the London 6 Day which was excellent. They struggle for female entries though although we'll probably enter more next year with the worlds being in LA.
Old 10-31-16, 09:06 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 2016 WCs in Manchester had mens 65+ team sprint and team pursuit. It seems that Carson is eliminating this age category. I am going to talk to the organizer about this and find out why it was done. I wonder if there is a Title IX issue with not offering the same category to woman since the race is being held in the US?
Old 10-31-16, 01:35 PM
VanceMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rensho3
The 2016 WCs in Manchester had mens 65+ team sprint and team pursuit. It seems that Carson is eliminating this age category. I am going to talk to the organizer about this and find out why it was done. I wonder if there is a Title IX issue with not offering the same category to woman since the race is being held in the US?
Worlds is a UCI race. Carson has nothing to do with it, other than hosting... and providing all the free labor.

And if we were, we'd have every possible age group for both genders. That's what we did for state champs.

Just be thankful I'm not running it... mandated kilos for everyone!
Old 10-31-16, 01:59 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I wonder if there is a Title IX issue with not offering the same category to woman since the race is being held in the US?
Title IX doesn't apply to all sport things. It applies to federally-funded educational programs and activities.
Old 10-31-16, 02:14 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by queerpunk
Title IX doesn't apply to all sport things. It applies to federally-funded educational programs and activities.
+1

Specifically:

No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_IX
Old 10-31-16, 02:17 PM
carleton
Elitist

And, to be honest, it could be argued that:

- Older people are allowed to participate with younger riders. and/or
- The rules state that there should be a minimum number of participants in the field for the race to proceed. (I think there is a rule about this in the UCI handbook.)

I'm not fighting against it. I'm just letting you know what the opposition might say.
Old 11-01-16, 02:12 AM
Poppit

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This years women's team events were always stated to be 'open' events so everyone knew what the score was. If it had been age groups as in the UCI rules then I don't think we could have put two teams in, but perhaps if there were age groups more teams would have entered, who knows. We thought there could have been a case for a 35-49 group and a 50+ but I'm not sure how they would have got this past the UCI although the rules seem to say that the organiser can modify them.
Old 11-03-16, 10:11 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VanceMac
Worlds is a UCI race. Carson has nothing to do with it, other than hosting... and providing all the free labor.

And if we were, we'd have every possible age group for both genders. That's what we did for state champs.

Just be thankful I'm not running it... mandated kilos for everyone!

Here are the regulations published for the 2016 WC in Manchester: See sections 3.2-3.4

Regulations

If Manchester can run a 65 plus team sprint and team pursuit, why can't Carson? If UCI has changed the rules, please point them out to me as I can't find them. Note that the current WC team pursuit 65 Plus team is an American team; it seems that Carson would want them to be able to defend their title on home soil.
Old 11-03-16, 11:02 AM
VanceMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
H
why can't Carson? it seems that Carson would wan
Again, it's UCI's show. Travis does have this request into UCI already.
Old 11-03-16, 11:38 AM
rensho3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vance, thanks
Old 11-04-16, 02:05 PM
VanceMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still beholden to UCI, but Travis updated the website:

Old 11-05-16, 12:28 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by VanceMac
Still beholden to UCI, but Travis updated the website:

Nice!

Somehow the hotlink to smugmug didn't work for me so I rehosted it on imgur. Maybe others can see it, but I can't.

Old 11-07-16, 11:57 AM
rensho3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A great big Thanks! to Travis and the rest of the team putting the WC together at Carson!