Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What age do you take children on the road?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-16, 08:32 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts

For those of you with children, what age did you introduce them to riding fast, congested roads?

While driving through town yesterday, on a congested 45MPH connector road between a downtown area and the interstate, I came upon a backlog of cars behind an incredibly slow bike ahead. To everyone's credit, they took their time and passed safely, but when I got to the head of the line I could see they were moving slowly because there was a kid around the 7 year old range on a single speed 20" bike struggling up a hill, unable to hold a line.

Just curious if any of you have put your children at that age in such a situation, seemed too young in my opinion.
Old 11-14-16, 08:56 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Depends on the kid. I've seen 8 year olds who could do it and 14 year olds who are better off staying on the sidewalk.
Old 11-14-16, 08:58 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
My youngest was 10 before she accompanied us outside the neighborhood onto actual streets with traffic. She can handle a bike well enough to hold a line, and manages to get that pipetank of a Trek 220 up most hills, but it still makes me so nervous I can't even enjoy it. I see plenty of younger kids out on family rides, but very rarely on the bigger arterial streets in town. One family I see regularly does, but they also salmon the sidewalk, so I guess that doesn't really count.

I think it will be the residentials or the trails for us the next couple of years.
Old 11-14-16, 09:56 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,927 Times in 1,210 Posts
Mine were 11 and 14 when I got off my butt and started riding again. That was mainly residential streets, though. It was a couple years later that I was ready to get on more congested streets, and I think a couple years' acclimatization helped both me and the girls.
Old 11-14-16, 05:29 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Depends on the kid. I have twins. One has been riding on streets with cars since 9, the other just started this year at 12.
Old 11-14-16, 06:35 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Depends if they are yours or not ... and if they are exceptionally annoying.
Old 11-14-16, 08:02 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
My little guy started a 3 mile commute to school, rain or shine, at age 12. And he did it all the way through to high school graduation.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-15-16, 07:22 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It REALLY, REALLY DEPENDS. I've seen a few 6 year olds who were extremely capable of handling their bmx bikes at speed, including skid stops and curb jumps.

I also know a family with 9-yr old twins, one of which has been riding without training wheels for 3-4 years, the other one just finally got it at age 9.

My own kids, 6 & 4: I expect the 6 year old might be able to learn 2 wheeled riding next summer...the 4 year old is about there already...different skill sets...the 6 year old has been reading for 3 years already, but is not coordinated at all. the 4 year old still forgets her letters, but could be a gymnast or some kind of athlete.

I could imagine the 4yr old being ready to ride at higher speeds with me much sooner than the 6 yr old.
Old 11-15-16, 07:55 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I would say 6 or 7, was about when we would take my son on rides outside our immediate neighborhood, but I worked hard to limit our exposure to main traffic arteries.
Old 11-15-16, 08:07 AM
nitroRoo

Bikes: Gary Fisher Cake 3dlx, GT Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden around neighborhood streets with my son since he was 6 or so. He's 12 now and I recently took him (and my 13 YO daughter) on a road ride on a more rural road here in NC. The biggest issue my son has is holding a line. No matter how much I tell him, he still wobbles and weaves all over the place. Even though we were on a remote, 35mph that wound its way along a river, I was still nervous at times because of how he was riding. My daughter on the other hand was find just cruising along the side of the road no problem.

So yeah, it totally depends on the kid. No way that I'd take my son out on a busy road, even though he does love to ride a bike.
Old 11-15-16, 09:37 AM
jefnvk

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. The kid was riding with a mother who appeared to be an experienced cyclist, and the route does deal with a moderate amount of bike commuters, so I just chalked it up to her riding a regular route. Still seemed a bit young for the road and not quite on proper equipment, though.

Originally Posted by nitroRoo
No matter how much I tell him, he still wobbles and weaves all over the place.
Yep, that was the biggest issue I saw here. Thankfully there were two lanes in the same direction, so no one was tempted to crowd them out, but everytime the kids head turned he went moved over the better part of the entire lane.
Old 11-15-16, 09:54 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
For those of you with children, what age did you introduce them to riding fast, congested roads?

While driving through town yesterday, on a congested 45MPH connector road between a downtown area and the interstate, I came upon a backlog of cars behind an incredibly slow bike ahead. To everyone's credit, they took their time and passed safely, but when I got to the head of the line I could see they were moving slowly because there was a kid around the 7 year old range on a single speed 20" bike struggling up a hill, unable to hold a line.

Just curious if any of you have put your children at that age in such a situation, seemed too young in my opinion.
Depends on how you define taking them "on the road". Both of mine were in trailers within a month or two of being born. My first one was in a trailer exactly a month after being born (in February). At 6 months, my oldest was pulled in a trailer over Rabbit Ears Pass in Colorado along US40 which is a high speed two lane road with limited shoulders.

By the time she was 4 (actually 3 years, 11 months), she was pedaling on the back of a tandem...and doing stupid speeds with me

She didn't really start riding her own bike much until about 9 when she got replaced as my stoker by her little sister but by then she was a pretty good cyclist.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-15-16, 10:39 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I don't have a son, but I have a 6 year old grandson. The bike I bought him is rusting in his backyard all but forgotten. He never even took the training wheels off. I told him I'll take him BMX racing if he ever learns to ride good. Maybe he'll get into it when he gets little buddies that ride, who knows. I have an XBOX One so at least we have something to do together, he's all about those damn video games haha
Old 11-19-16, 08:42 PM
Kaze6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To answer the question as it was written in the subject line, I can take children on the road until they get into their teens. That growth spurt they get just seems to give them more power in the sprints than my 59-year-old legs can match.
Old 11-20-16, 09:01 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Depends on how you define taking them "on the road". Both of mine were in trailers within a month or two of being born. My first one was in a trailer exactly a month after being born (in February). At 6 months, my oldest was pulled in a trailer over Rabbit Ears Pass in Colorado along US40 which is a high speed two lane road with limited shoulders.

Extremely dangerous idea, due to "Shaken Baby Syndrome". From Bikesource.com:
Trailers are perhaps the safest way to take a very young child along. They are lower to the ground, so when you crash the baby will fall a shorter distance, even when you turn the trailer over. We would recommend that you do two things before using a trailer: ride in a trailer yourself for at least 10 miles, and take baby and seat to a pediatrician to ask if it is ok. Most parents have no idea how rough a ride it can be in a trailer. How hard can you jiggle your baby's brain without provoking "shaken baby syndrome?" Although trailer owners report good experience, how will you know instantly if your child is suffering harm back there? Probably they will cry, but can a baby whose brain is being bruised or neck is being overstressed communicate that quickly enough? While asleep? Trailer arrangements can be better if you wedge the child's head in on both sides so it cannot bobble around. But seated upright in a trailer the baby also needs a pillow behind them to provide clearance for their helmet in the back. Without the pillow their head is forced down by the back of the helmet.

Trailers with low-mounted hitches are generally less wobbly, but the wheels can snag on obstacles as you pass, and many trailers can turn over with surprising ease if one wheel rides up on something like a curb, or if you just have to take a turn too sharply. Any trailer can be turned over by hitting a bump too fast with one wheel -- ask the manufacturer. You might also want to ask if the trailer is constructed to protect the child in a rollover, which users report is a common occurance. How about protection for the child's bottom when you hit a rock that passes between the two wheels? ASTM is working on a trailer standard that will cover most of those points, but it is years from final publication.
Minimum rule: No kids on bikes before 12 months of age.
Old 11-20-16, 10:20 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
Extremely dangerous idea, due to "Shaken Baby Syndrome". From Bikesource.com:
I don't think that it's as "EXTREMELY" dangerous as you think it is. A child trailer isn't a solid platform. It's fabric suspended between a rigid frame. The seat of the trailer adds another layer of suspension. And it wasn't like we just threw the kid into the trailer and let them roll around. The children were in a child carrier which further dampened any vibrations.

Do you have any evidence that "shaken baby syndrome" has even happened to children carried in a trailer or that it's a problem that needs addressing?
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-20-16, 02:27 PM
jefnvk

Depends on how you define taking them "on the road".
I was curious specifically about a child on their own bike. A child in a trailer or on the back of a bike (or on one of those pull along pedal things) isn't under their own control, it is really not that different than coming across a tourer with a loaded bike.
Old 11-20-16, 04:24 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't think that it's as "EXTREMELY" dangerous as you think it is. A child trailer isn't a solid platform. It's fabric suspended between a rigid frame. The seat of the trailer adds another layer of suspension. And it wasn't like we just threw the kid into the trailer and let them roll around. The children were in a child carrier which further dampened any vibrations.

Do you have any evidence that "shaken baby syndrome" has even happened to children carried in a trailer or that it's a problem that needs addressing?
Maybe it has, maybe not. I remember as recently as about 10 years ago, the NFL had experts that swore football did not cause brain injury. After several huge lawsuits based on solid university research studies we know better, and I fully expect that within the next decade high school football will be extinct for just this reason.

The reality is that it CAN be dangerous. You were lucky. I am old enough to remember riding in cars that did not have seat belts; today such a thing would be unthinkable. In the end, there is a good possibility that it can sometimes cause permanent brain injury. Would you want to subject your child to this risk? Really??
Old 11-20-16, 06:01 PM
Tim199

Bikes: 1995? Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm curious about the actual evidence as well. It is the standard advice from pediatricians, so I stuck to that. They are a trained professional so I trust them unless I have specific evidence they are wrong. It also helped that I didn't have enough time to get out with them much before 12 months too. It does make sense that trailers are much bumpier and with more side to side jarring (think going over sidewalk or other transitions) than they seem to us not riding in them and that young necks are not strong enough to handle those forces.

Sorry to derail the thread more. I had a previous thread I asked basically the same question, but in my case there was a bike lane on the specific road I wanted to prepare the kids for. There were some good responses with some specific skills to look for and other good suggestions. Here's the link:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...bike-lane.html
Old 11-21-16, 09:16 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
Maybe it has, maybe not. I remember as recently as about 10 years ago, the NFL had experts that swore football did not cause brain injury. After several huge lawsuits based on solid university research studies we know better, and I fully expect that within the next decade high school football will be extinct for just this reason.

The reality is that it CAN be dangerous. You were lucky. I am old enough to remember riding in cars that did not have seat belts; today such a thing would be unthinkable. In the end, there is a good possibility that it can sometimes cause permanent brain injury. Would you want to subject your child to this risk? Really??
The reality is that everything CAN be dangerous. Riding in a car poses a significantly higher risk of injury and/or death than riding in a trailer does, but millions of people do it every day without a second thought.

As to whether or not there is a good possibility that it can sometimes cause permanent brain injury, you'll have to present some evidence that it does. So far all you've presented is speculation. How about strollers? Are you going to worry about "shaken baby syndrome" with parents using those? Very similar mode of travel and similar vibrations.

Old 11-21-16, 09:51 AM
jefnvk

Very similar mode of travel and similar vibrations.
I really have no research either way, but I'd have to believe the vibrations at the 2-3MPH that strollers are being pushed is far less than a bike at 10-15MPH.