Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Question about ordering from Raleigh corp

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Question about ordering from Raleigh corp

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-17, 10:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto

There has to be some value to a B&M to be worth paying more than online. If I go into a violin shop looking to spend $1500, I can play a half dozen $10,000+ instruments, and see what makes a great instrument. Then play 20 in my budget. Take home 2-4 for a week or two. Figure out my favorite. Buy that. That's worth the $300/25% markup from online.

That isn't really the case for LBS's.

'but but test rides' yeah yeah. Firstly, I'm 6'5". I'm a special order that needs to buy the bike in advance anyway because the LBS isn't going to buy one that's going to sit in inventory for who knows how long. Secondly, riding 10 minutes around the block isn't terribly useful.

Having tubes available that day is important, but after being charged 3x more than amazon, I keep several extras in the shop.
- i have no idea if your violin reference is applicable ir not because ive never played and cant say what sort of testing is needed or beneficial.

- i am your height. Over 99% of the US population is shorter than us. I get that test riding isnt useful for you due to lack of inventory, but that doesnt mean it isnt useful for others. My wife rode 5 road bikes before she picked her current one. 5 bikes, 4 different brands, 3 different shops. It was legitimately beneficial for her to test em out.
You?- nope, the bike you want may not be in your size. A 5'10 male though?- yeah there are 15 models at each shop for him. And he can figure out whats better. That is a real and tangible benefit for many.

I personally build my own bikes and have no use for buying new retail...but i can still recognize there is a market for it.

- i would buy tubes from amazon too if i were charged 3x more at shops. Good lord thats absurd. Last i checked, basic kenda presta tubes were $6-8 on amazon depending on the size. They cost me $7 at shops in town. If they cost me $18-21 per tube like your shops, i too would stock up online. Not amazon, but for sure somewhere cheaper than the local shops.
Old 03-10-17, 11:21 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
- i have no idea if your violin reference is applicable ir not because ive never played and cant say what sort of testing is needed or beneficial.

- i am your height. Over 99% of the US population is shorter than us. I get that test riding isnt useful for you due to lack of inventory, but that doesnt mean it isnt useful for others. My wife rode 5 road bikes before she picked her current one. 5 bikes, 4 different brands, 3 different shops. It was legitimately beneficial for her to test em out.
You?- nope, the bike you want may not be in your size. A 5'10 male though?- yeah there are 15 models at each shop for him. And he can figure out whats better. That is a real and tangible benefit for many.

I personally build my own bikes and have no use for buying new retail...but i can still recognize there is a market for it.

- i would buy tubes from amazon too if i were charged 3x more at shops. Good lord thats absurd. Last i checked, basic kenda presta tubes were $6-8 on amazon depending on the size. They cost me $7 at shops in town. If they cost me $18-21 per tube like your shops, i too would stock up online. Not amazon, but for sure somewhere cheaper than the local shops.
Nicer violins are mostly handmade Even the factory ones are hand finished, just roughed out with CNC machines. They're also (approximately) built to different models. So there is a lot of variance. Especially for viola & cello, which are even less homogenized. Think endurance road, crit, touring, XC, DH. Gotta spend some time with each until you find your niche. Playing really nice instruments is important because without that point of reference, most people will gravitate towards their current instrument but 'better' when their current one might be junk. So you might be used to stuffing lumber out of the trunk of your miata, then want a slightly bigger convertible bmw 2 seater. But what you NEED is a truck. That's the value of trying different instruments, and having the time to explore them.

Maybe I caught amazon on sale or something, but I remember being charged $12-15 per tube at a shop right beside a major bike path. The gouging still prompted me to go to amazon where I saw them for $5. Nearest shops to me sold them for $10, but that was downtown in a major city. I hope other places would be cheaper.
Old 04-04-17, 08:38 PM
zimdba

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 3.1 Shimano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by muysal
I'm considering a 2013 or 2014' Madone 5.2 Large. I've been riding a 58 cm steel frame since the invention of electricity and it'll be my first carbon bike. I'm around 5'11". I was fitted for a 58 cm frame during the mid-80's. I've shrunk in size since then but also want to try out one size under. I mostly heard positives about Trek's but on Madone, I read one reviewer who complained about bottom bracket flexing excessively. Is your Madone's BB press-fitted? Any frame issues?
Press-fit BB. No issues with the BB. I had the bearings changed around 6000 miles when I changed from the stock SRAM crankset to Ultegra 6800. My only problem has been the clearcoat failing after 18 months or so. The white is now a nice color of coffee-stained teeth. If it's your first carbon bike note that it's quite lively. It's great on the uphills and sprints, but it's squirelly on downhills and I often have to brake and then catch-up to my mates on the uphill.
Old 04-05-17, 02:07 PM
zimdba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Besides Madone I've been looking at Cervelo R3. Where I live not many bike shops offer test models for bikes I'm interested in. The few that do have expensive rental fees and don't care for the sales pressure which leaves me with rolling the dice so to speak. My buy strategy is to stay with established names and models that have the fewest complaints. I read Treks ride differently than Cervelos. Any thoughts in this area? I don't race but prefer stretched out positions over upright. My thoughts are, "I'll adjust unless it's a setup too extreme and uncomfortable. I'm curious about aluminum technology but read some negatives on jittery handling. To be honest I'm not that impressed with the paint jobs on Trek and Cervelo bikes. I guess they have to use eye-catching cosmetics to attract customers. I wish they also advertised internal cut-outs of their carbon frames.
If you were out shopping again for another bike, what would you consider? I read some positives on Cannondale. Naturally money is a big factor. I don't want to spend over 2K. During the 80's a person could buy fairly decent technology for 2K. Today that money hardly gets one in the ballpark. The vintage steel frame I've been riding since the previous century is heavily influenced by classic Cinelli steel frames of the 80's. They're works of art. Today the same design by Cinelli sells new for $2600 (frame-set only) but I'm not sure who wants to buy heavy steel. One thing is certain, the threaded BB technology of that era is almost fail-proof. I'm thinking of buying a carbon frame-set, group-set and assemble it myself. Cheers.
I think Trek has positioned the Madone into an aero race bike. I don't think I'd buy one today. I'd have a look at the Emonda SL frameset - $1900 or so and a pretty good feature set.
Old 04-05-17, 05:44 PM
ckindt

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
I'm considering a 2013 or 2014' Madone 5.2 Large. I've been riding a 58 cm steel frame since the invention of electricity and it'll be my first carbon bike. I'm around 5'11". I was fitted for a 58 cm frame during the mid-80's. I've shrunk in size since then but also want to try out one size under. I mostly heard positives about Trek's but on Madone, I read one reviewer who complained about bottom bracket flexing excessively. Is your Madone's BB press-fitted? Any frame issues?
thread hijack starts here.

reported.
Old 04-06-17, 05:16 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
So what's the latest on the corp site and the current coupon?
Old 04-06-17, 06:12 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not sure what the latest Corp discount code is.
I still can log in and see the sale prices.
New website.Can shop by size now.But does not show what what sizes are in stock like the old website did until
you click on your bike size to see if it is in stock.

2016 models stock getting very low.
Really like the Redux 3 urban bike.I need to keep telling myself I do not need another bike.
But my wallet speaks the loudest for now.

This winter has been has been brutal compare to the last two or so winters for me.
As the first year the cold weather stop me from riding much.
Old 04-07-17, 07:27 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Joeyseven
Not sure what the latest Corp discount code is.
I still can log in and see the sale prices.
New website.Can shop by size now.But does not show what what sizes are in stock like the old website did until
you click on your bike size to see if it is in stock.

2016 models stock getting very low.
Really like the Redux 3 urban bike.I need to keep telling myself I do not need another bike.
But my wallet speaks the loudest for now.

This winter has been has been brutal compare to the last two or so winters for me.
As the first year the cold weather stop me from riding much.
Can you post the website link please? Is it still raleighusa.com? If so the prices I'm seeing don't seem like the discounted prices others are seeing....still. Stuntman is $2299, Roker Comp is $2799, Redux 3 is $899.

Last edited by shoota; 04-07-17 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-07-17, 09:01 AM
ckindt

Originally Posted by shoota
Can you post the website link please? Is it still raleighusa.com? If so the prices I'm seeing don't seem like the discounted prices others are seeing....still. Stuntman is $2299, Roker Comp is $2799, Redux 3 is $899.
There's only one site now. If you log in the prices shown will be much less.

These are the current prices as of 5 minutes ago:
Stuntman: 1299
Roker Comp: 1739
Redux 3: 569

Good luck finding your size in stock. They are out of many sizes.
If you don't see the lower prices ask the person in the chat window for some help.
Old 04-07-17, 09:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 4,189 Posts
https://www.raleighusa.com/partner

CYCLE4TAW
Old 04-07-17, 09:16 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by ckindt
There's only one site now. If you log in the prices shown will be much less.

These are the current prices as of 5 minutes ago:
Stuntman: 1299
Roker Comp: 1739
Redux 3: 569

Good luck finding your size in stock. They are out of many sizes.
If you don't see the lower prices ask the person in the chat window for some help.
I guess I'll have to do that since I'm not seeing the lower prices. Thanks
Old 04-07-17, 09:56 AM
shoota 

He said they've been having problems since the new site went live. I had to create a new account with a different email to get the pricing corrected.
Old 04-07-17, 11:16 AM
ckindt

He said they've been having problems since the new site went live. I had to create a new account with a different email to get the pricing corrected.
Glad you got it sorted out.
Old 04-16-17, 04:32 PM
Zurichman2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
CYCLE4TAW worked for me right now setting up my Corporate account. Just know that if you want the discounted prices you have to put in the 2016 for the model year or they will try selling you a 2017. lol
Old 04-16-17, 08:51 PM
zimdba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both a riding buddy and myself bought new Rokers - I got the 2016 Roker Sport, and he got the 2017 Roker Comp. Our out of the box impressions:
It appears as if the bike was partially assembled and re-boxed. I have pictures if anyone wants them, but there were rub marks on the box where it looked like the product was wider than the box.

I had the following issues: bent RD hanger and bent front brake rotor. I'm waiting on a warranty claim for the hanger.
The RD is probably fine, but it's hard to tell comparing it to a brand new Shimano 4700 RD. I was able to bend the front rotor to comply.

My friend's Roker Comp had a wheel out-of-true.

Also, make sure every bolt is aligned and tight to spec. My rear caliper was attached, but free-floating as it was not tightened down.
Old 04-17-17, 09:18 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I bought the Raleigh Tamland today for $799 + $48 tax using the Corporate account that I set up. When I went to a very strong Raleigh toady 6 miles from work the best price he could get was $1300. He said he would assemble for $75 but I won't be able to tell him what I bought it from Raleigh for or even that I bought it from Raleigh.

Zman
Old 04-22-17, 08:31 AM
veloceleste

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I just ordered a 2017 Tamland 1 with the discount. I tried several local dealers before I even found out about the corporate site discount. None of them had any stock and quoted almost full retail. I try to buy local but difference in price is so great that I see no value added buying local since I couldn't even look at the bike. If I Were a Raleigh dealer I would order the bike with the corporate code discount, mark up appropriately at a competitive price, and sell the added value of buying from a shop. The customer pays a little more than the corporate sight (if the customer even knows about the discount), the shop gets a new customer and everyone wins. The shop also doesn't have to keep inventory.

Last edited by veloceleste; 04-24-17 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-23-17, 04:07 PM
Lilteichmonster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zurichman2
CYCLE4TAW worked for me right now setting up my Corporate account. Just know that if you want the discounted prices you have to put in the 2016 for the model year or they will try selling you a 2017. lol
I'm new to this site but came across all this talk of great deals on Raleigh bikes in my research of the tamland. I'm pretty sure I set up the corporate account correctly but then didn't see the prices everyone is saying. Is it only 2016 models?
Old 04-23-17, 05:18 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The Corporate deals are for the 2016 and 2017. The 2016 is a better deal though because they are trying to unload them.

Zman
Old 04-24-17, 02:26 PM
veloceleste

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lilteichmonster
I'm new to this site but came across all this talk of great deals on Raleigh bikes in my research of the tamland. I'm pretty sure I set up the corporate account correctly but then didn't see the prices everyone is saying. Is it only 2016 models?
The 2016 Tamland 1 is sold out. That was an incredible deal.
Old 04-25-17, 05:40 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by veloceleste
The 2016 Tamland 1 is sold out. That was an incredible deal.
Almost as good as my 2017 Tamland 1 for the same price
Old 04-25-17, 09:56 AM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Almost as good as my 2017 Tamland 1 for the same price
You bought a 2017 Tamland 1 for $799 + $48 tax?

Zman
Old 04-25-17, 10:07 AM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I called my local Raleigh dealer today and they were backed up 10 days for service on their bikes. I decided to put the bike together myself. I was able to figure out everything except for installing the front disk brake system. My first impressions of the bike is it's sweet. Second impression is the bike is a Seconds. It has a small scratch on the ring that tightens the seat post. With the $500 difference in the price of the bikes I can live with that. I probably could call Raleigh and they would replace it. I can't wait to get everything done on it and ride it. It must be 5-10 lbs. lighter than my Schwinn Highlander heavier than a rock mt. bike that I presently own.

Zman
Old 04-25-17, 10:18 AM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts

Zman
I'm still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on that. The 2017s were briefly on sale for that price before going back to $1349, or whatever they are now.
Old 04-26-17, 08:08 AM
shoota 

Zman
No tax, free shipping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.