Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Roubaix-type vs Diverge-type as only road bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-17, 08:24 PM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Background: Until very recently I had only ridden one bike in my adult life: A 1993 Performance M-104 rigid MTB. I bought it used in 1997 and rode it until I backed over it after my lunch break two months ago. I liked it because it weighed 20lb (bikepedia says 23 but I've weighed it a million times over the year -- granted on a bathroom scale --
and always got 20 on the dot) and I could ride singletrack with knobbies or on the road (which was most of my riding) with 100psi 1.25" Fatboy slicks. And since it was steel I didn't feel like I had to be careful with it.

After killing it, I quickly found a 2008 Stumpjumper front suspension for my trail riding. But I still want to ride on the road, which was always the bulk of my riding.

I am never going to race, so I don't need the fastest thing around. The roads around here are pretty good, but there are some pothole areas, and I also do bikecamping on the C&O Canal towpath once a year or so, and do the whole thing (180 miles) every few years over a few days. I like the idea of a more comfortable, tougher bike than the Allez or other road bikes I had been considering before beginning my search, and I like the idea of being able to zip down the towpath once in awhile or at least not worry about potholes or occasional gravel stretches, while still being able to go (hopefully) significantly faster than I could on the old slick-tired MTB. If my lunch break found me near a singletrack trail, it would be great if I could throw on some knobbier tires and hit the trail and not have to cram two bikes in the car all the time, although I don't know if that's realistic even with the Diverge.

I just can't quite tell if a Roubaix/Defy/Synapse type would be the right choice for me, or the Diverge/Anyroad/Search type. The great majority of my riding on this bike would be on good roads, but something about the Diverge really appeals to me, as soon as I saw it on Craigslist (wrong size unfortunately) it jumped out at me, and the reviews seem universally glowing.

One thing I don't get is the price on the Diverge Elite DSW (the model in my price range). $1500 for aluminum and Tiagra seems a little nutty when I can walk into Performance and get a 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo full carbon with Ultegra for $1300.

I don't mind buying used, I've seen Roubaixs etc for $1200 or less with carbon and 105 or Ultegra a few years old.

I also am not someone who wants to get a new bike every few years. If I like the bike, I will probably happily ride it for the rest of my life if the frame holds up.

Last edited by curttard; 04-23-17 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-23-17, 08:50 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13706 Post(s)
Liked 4,523 Times in 2,502 Posts
Sounds like you want a bike from the "adventure" category. Diverge, Anyroad, etc... Those bikes will have fender and rack mounts for your bikepacking excursions and will fit wider tires for gravel/dirt riding. Another Fuji to consider is the Jari Fuji Bikes | Jari 1.7
Old 04-23-17, 09:15 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I have a carbon Diverge but test rode the DSW several times. The DSW frame is one of the smoothest (regardless of material) on the road I've ever ridden.

If looking at used, avoid 2015 Diverge Smartweld/DSW bikes. They have a defect at top tube, seat tube intersection. 2016+ are ok.

There's a pretty active and helpful Diverge facebook group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1476446176002377/
Old 04-24-17, 06:51 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guess one of my biggest questions is why, given how similar Roubaix and Diverge are, the Roubaix line seems to be lighter and cheaper with better components? Is the ability to run bigger tires really the only advantage the Diverge offers to offset that?
Old 04-24-17, 07:13 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by curttard
I guess one of my biggest questions is why, given how similar Roubaix and Diverge are, the Roubaix line seems to be lighter and cheaper with better components? Is the ability to run bigger tires really the only advantage the Diverge offers to offset that?
Are you comparing apples-to-apples? The Diverge has discs standard, whereas the Roubaix has both disc and rim-braked variants, no? In general, yes, disc-equipped bikes are coming in a little heavier and a little more expensive than rim brake road bikes at this time, but it's usually not a huge gap in pricing.
Old 04-24-17, 07:56 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
True, Diverge has discs. But even so, we're talking $1500 for an aluminum Diverge versus $1700 for a 10R carbon Roubaix with Future Shock, both with Tiagra. That seems like a pretty big price hike for mechanical disc brakes.

You have to spend $2800 for a carbon Diverge, which compares to a $2600 Roubaix, both with 10R, discs, and 105 group (the Roubaix also having Future Shock).

It particularly hurts me as someone likely buying used -- Diverge is relatively new and apparently there were problems with the 2015 frames, so my used options are pretty much limited to an aluminum/Tiagra for a few hundred dollars off, whereas for $1200 or less I can find plenty of 2014 or newer Roubaixs with carbon and Ultegra (even Dura Ace in some cases).
Old 04-24-17, 08:00 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
There are other adventure/gravel bikes out there. Almost every manufacturer has something in the segment, now. Hell, I picked up my Haanjo (AL w/105) for $550 at an REI garage sale.
Old 04-24-17, 10:59 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'd go with an adventure/gravel road bike if I can have only one. You can ride everywhere with it, do commuting, touring and backpacking excursions. And of course, casual road riding.

Cheaper than a conventional road bike and far more versatile. Eliminates the need for two separate bikes.
Old 04-24-17, 11:21 AM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
I'd go with an adventure/gravel road bike if I can have only one. You can ride everywhere with it, do commuting, touring and backpacking excursions. And of course, casual road riding.

Cheaper than a conventional road bike and far more versatile. Eliminates the need for two separate bikes.
Just make sure that it has all the right mounts, I think the diverge has rackmounts, but the roubaix does not.
Old 04-24-17, 01:02 PM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JReade
Just make sure that it has all the right mounts, I think the diverge has rackmounts, but the roubaix does not.
Yeah, the lack of rack mounts might make the decision easier than I thought between Roubaix and Diverge. But on the other hand, I believe other endurance bikes like the Giant Defy have them -- and I have seen a 2016 Defy Advanced 1, carbon, Ultegra, slightly used for $1600.

edit: Actually it appears the Defy does not, and I don't think any of the more popular endurance bikes do. So I guess I'm firmly in the "adventure" category, as I need maybe 15-20lb in panniers for bike camping when it gets cold.

I think I may be down to Diverge vs Norco Search. Diverge will probably win because I don't think I can get the Search around here and never see them used.

Last edited by curttard; 04-24-17 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-25-17, 03:01 PM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Raleigh Roker Sport may be a contender. Looks very similar to Diverge DSW, and has the same Tiagra set, but it has a threaded BB and a carbon frame, and I think supports tires up to 40mm (although I'm not entirely sure).

But I can't seem to find a concrete answer as to whether it has rack mounts. The specs page says only fender mounts, whereas (for example) the Tamland specs say rack mounts; but at least one review said it has hidden mudguard AND rack mounts.

Does anyone know how the Roker Sport compares to the Diverge DSW on the road?
Old 04-25-17, 03:08 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
GT Grade is also worth a look, since that's readily available at Performance.
Old 04-25-17, 03:41 PM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
GT Grade is also worth a look, since that's readily available at Performance.
Price and 105 is right, reviews are great...but apparently it has no rack mounts. Also, on an instinctive level, I don't like how it looks. But I would consider it if it had rack mounts.
Old 04-25-17, 03:50 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some offerings from REI
https://www.rei.com/h/co-op-cycles-a...1&mi_u=1314272
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 04-25-17, 06:39 PM
againstmel

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bhchdh
Some offerings from REI
Know anything about REI bikes? The ARD 1.2 looks a great bike for me...
Old 04-25-17, 07:06 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by againstmel
I've only seen them online. With any luck they will stock them at my local store soon.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 04-25-17, 08:08 PM
Larry77

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Focus Izalco, Focus Mares CX, BMC GF02, Giant VT3 MTB (upgraded), Felt Brougham SS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I were to buy a complete bike I would spend more for the frame than the components because I can upgrade the components later, this includes wheelsets. When I bought my Synapse I liked that it came with lower spec'd wheels so I could chose the wheelset I wanted.

If you buy cheaper spec'd components you will get a nicer frame for your money, later on upgrading the components to exactly what you want the bike feels more personal and you have a great frame to go with your new Di2/eTap/DA/Ultegra.

All of that aside, remember you HAVE to test ride the bike. This does not mean a ride around the block, ride it for a least an hour and up a hill if possible.

I like the other advice to get a bike that can do everything for one of your first road bikes. You really need rack mounts for what you talked about doing so that eliminates a lot of bikes making the choice easier. You might want to check out the BMC GF02, when I chose it I rode quite a few bikes.
Old 04-25-17, 09:44 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
One thing I don't get is the price on the Diverge Elite DSW (the model in my price range). $1500 for aluminum and Tiagra seems a little nutty when I can walk into Performance and get a 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo full carbon with Ultegra for $1300.

I don't mind buying used, I've seen Roubaixs etc for $1200 or less with carbon and 105 or Ultegra a few years old.

I also am not someone who wants to get a new bike every few years. If I like the bike, I will probably happily ride it for the rest of my life if the frame holds up.
Specialized is a brand that for many people has a certain cache, hence the higher asking price it is able to command.

Which means that makers like Fuji and Jamis are able to make some incredible bikes for the same asking price as a Specialized.

If the Gran Fondo you are talking about is the same one as this article refers to, then I'd be looking very closely at getting it.
Old 04-26-17, 02:23 AM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True, Diverge has discs. But even so, we're talking $1500 for an aluminum Diverge versus $1700 for a 10R carbon Roubaix with Future Shock, both with Tiagra. That seems like a pretty big price hike for mechanical disc brakes.

You have to spend $2800 for a carbon Diverge, which compares to a $2600 Roubaix, both with 10R, discs, and 105 group (the Roubaix also having Future Shock).
The $1700 Roubaix is an SL4 model; rim brakes and Zertz. No Future Shock. Those models are disc-only and start at $2600.

And are worth every penny.
Old 04-26-17, 04:16 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I at first did not like the way the Giant Abroad looked, but after seeing a few different ones, it's growing on me. Lots of people use them as just road bikes and the occasional off-road.

Or for even more aggressive off-reading check out the Giant Revolt...uglier, but supposedly fits 50mm tires...(wider than anybody, and Diverge).

My only hesitancy with the diverge, is that despite its category as an adventure bike, I've heard it only has room for 35mm tires. (Someone can correct me on that if it's wrong).
Old 05-01-17, 11:00 AM
bhchdh 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had the chance to see an ARD 1.2 at my local REI this weekend. It seems to be a very nice bike. The welds on the frame were smooth and the finish was an attractive satin black. The bike is equipped with a Shimano 105 group set and TRP disk brakes. At $1299 it is $150 less than the Diverge Elite DSW which has a Tiagra group set.

T. Jefferson
Old 05-02-17, 10:52 AM
againstmel

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bhchdh
I had the chance to see an ARD 1.2 at my local REI this weekend. It seems to be a very nice bike. The welds on the frame were smooth and the finish was an attractive satin black. The bike is equipped with a Shimano 105 group set and TRP disk brakes. At $1299 it is $150 less than the Diverge Elite DSW which has a Tiagra group set.
Thanks for that. I'm going to a local shop this week (Veloworx) and test some bikes out, and then check out the ARD 1.2. I'm starting to realize at 44 I need to worry about fit and comfort.
Old 05-20-17, 11:41 AM
bhchdh 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for that. I'm going to a local shop this week (Veloworx) and test some bikes out, and then check out the ARD 1.2. I'm starting to realize at 44 I need to worry about fit and comfort.

https://www.rei.com/product/106343/c...d-12-bike-2017 15% off now through 5/29

T. Jefferson